• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen What did you name your character and rival in Pokemon Yellow?

digimonqueen

Draco Malfoy's Girlfriend
Years
I have Yellow, and every time I start a new game, I change the names of the Hero and Rival. My last one was Seth for the Hero, and Paul for the Rival. I HATE Paul with a passion. Every time I saw him on the show abusing his Pokemon, I was like "You don't deserve to be a Trainer!" His Chimchar release made me furious. He didn't even care about its feelings. Ash cares about his Pokemon, and only releases them to a good home.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
I always named my character Ash for two reasons.

1. The anime, derp
  2. My name is Ashley so I already go by Ash a lot

And the rival was usually Gary.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Oct 11, 2012
Since it's based off the anime, I went with Ash(even though I can't the kid. He has gotten better over the past decade, but I'm still not a fan of his archetype) and Gary.

Red99

World Champion
Years
I was 5 when I started playing Pokemon, and Yellow was my first game. I believe I named the player after me, and the rival after my brother.

SkittyBot

Little Shiny Skitty
Years
  • Seen Nov 4, 2012
I recall naming my rival 1234567 once in Emerald, then we moved onto Stupid, and in diamond her was KFEUSTR, and in SS i named him KORFENO. I was really immature two years ago at age ten.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 8, 2024
Well, since I played Cyrstal first, I name the Rival ??? everytime, and I call him "The Question"

I usually name the main after me, cause why not. :'D

Last edited:

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
I usually named my character my name, Aaron or Ash . Usually Ash since Yellow has elements of the anime in it. My rival I usually named him Gary or some silly name like "poophead" or "idiot" being that I was only 7 or 8 at the time.

Taposa

;)
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Mar 7, 2022
I named it Red and Blue in Yellow. Although it is manga-based and not anime-based.

Trainer Matt

PokéFriend!
Years
When playing Red and Blue, I slotted in my name and that of my older brother. He took the immature route of naming him something vulgar. <.< When we both got our hands on a copy of Pokémon Yellow, though, I personally went for the Ash/Gary combination. The game was blatently tied in more with the animé, so it just seemed like the natural thing to do!

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
Years
Usually I just either named my character Olli, something I found funny, or just Red because I didn't have any other ideas, however it's pretty long ago, so can't even remember anymore. The rival however was always Gary, and that especially fit in Yellow, since it was closer to the anime :p

SamuJake

I beat Red when I was 8' bro.
Years
I'm actually playing Pokemon Yellow on my Gameboy at the moment and trying to finish the game, along with 2 other friends trying to finish Pokemon Red and Blue on Gameboy. I named my character Jake, after myself and the rival Jarrod, one of my friends who is playing.

Totodilesteel99

Lord of Awesomeness
Years
OK!
Lol Moments!
Red and Blue.
Who would've thought?
Nobody ever calls there rivals that! ;D
I did it because Red in HG has Charizard, Venusaur, Blastoise, Pikachu, Snorlax and Lapras.
And Red goes with Blue, for rivalry.

Back