• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tool: Tool Development - Looking for some consultants on my project

Years
  • Age 43
  • Seen Sep 29, 2015
Hello,

I am a developer and long timer game hacker/modder. I historically have just been a cheat maker using gameshark on PS2, N64 etc back in the day and have done a lot of hacks for games on PC. However recently I have been in need of a project to keep me busy and decided to get into the ROM hacking. I tinkered with it a few years ago and it is quite fun. I am familiar with ASM (not ARM/THUMB variety but its not hard to pick up).

I am throwing together a debugger of my own to make reverse engineering simpler and in many ways more logical in terms of data logistics. The experiments I have started putting together have proven to me that we can make ASM tinkering a more trivial matter for people who are not as experienced. Ok what do I need? I am not familiar with how games tend to pack assets and palette encoding etc etc. It would be cool to bounce some ideas off of people so I can throw together some tests to see if i can make it easier to map assets. I also had an idea to make my tool "proxy" assets into the game live without having to actually burn the rom. What do you think?

Deokishisu

Mr. Magius
Years
Hi there!

Have you taken a look at the .idb's knizz and Touched have going for Emerald and Firered? They might give you a good idea of where the community is at when it comes to how and what we understand about the functions that make up the games. You may also want to browse Bulbapedia's articles on data structure, at the bottom there are links to the whole category.

Other than that, I'm not experienced enough to really help you out. In fact, I'm not sure how helpful my links will be to you. But I wish you luck. Anything that makes ASM more accessible will improve the hacking scene.

Years
  • Age 43
  • Seen Sep 29, 2015
Oh cool, thanks! I will check these out to get started. Currently I am trying to make my own function mapper.

BadEgg~

Pokémon: Volant Version Developer
Years
As someone who battles with ASM, it would be a tremendous help to have a tool to make the process easier in any way. Good luck with the development of the tool!

By the way just have a quick flick through the Development threads to see where we're at as a community with ASM if Touched etc doesn't give you a solid idea.

Sirzechs

has an Idea
Years
There is alot of tools that were released or yet to be realeased.

There are many people and few threads here about Title screen changing so I suggest to follow guys up there ^^^^ and some people who need title screen changed but struggle too with the unLZ-GBA tool. :)

Back