• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Favorite Starter Bird

Favorite starter bird?

• Total voters
Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
I like to use Spearow/Fearow most in the same manner as one. It can be gotten early in the first generation, so it is something of a starter bird if Hoothoot/Noctowl can be. The fifth generation brings a Drill Peck/Run combo to Fearow which I'm very keen on.

If Spearow won't be counted, then the classic Pidgey line is charmingly retro and surprisingly tough.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Mar 26, 2021
I voted for the Pidgey line I found that line really helped methroughout my journey more then I felt the others did.

Mistyb89

Water Pokemon Trainer
Years
My vote goes for HootHoot. 2nd generation nostalgia remains... I guess it's one of the weakest though, I used it in my Soul Silver game and it didn't help a lot. However I had good memories of it from my Silver version... Well, it must be because I was too young to really understand who was strong and who wasn't :P

I voted for HootHoot for the exact same reason, nostalgia. although I've never owned any of the Johto Remakes, I will indeed get one in the future and I will definitely make sure I get a HootHoot first thing. Move wise, I would have to say that Pidgey was my favorite because I love Pidgeotto and Pidgiot, they are so strong!

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
Swellow was an absolute boss in RSE. Even Taillow destroyed everything in the beginning of the game.

o Pikachu o

Pikachu
Years
Starly and Taillow line. Starly because Staraptor has high attack and it learns good moves. Tailow line because Swellow is one of the fastest Pokèmon's.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 1, 2024
Oh this is hard. I have a soft spot in my heart for the Pidgey line and the Starly line. I view them both to be superior to the others, but if I had to choose between them, I consider Staraptor the better Pokémon, so ultimately, I would end up with that line.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
Years
I have huge soft spots for Pidgey and Starly. I used them in just about every play though. Even their shiny forms just rock. Hmm. Hmm... Since I know someone who loves Pidgey to death, I'll pick Starly. :)

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
Years
Hoot-hoot. Totally. Not even kidding.

... :(

Nah, but seriously, Pidgey forever and always. There aren't really any specific traits to the Pokemon that really makes me like it, however it was the first Pokemon I ever caught myself, the first one except for my starter which I ever fully evolved, and the first Pokemon that I ever really liked. And it's design, even though it's really simple and just like any real life bird, I really like it. How its eyes give off that angry expression, even though it really just looks adorable. djhhfksdhfhdfdfh I just really like Pidgey, and there's never been a single playthrough of Kanto where it hasn't been on my team :D:D:D:D:D

GO PIDGEY!

profilepic227652_3.gif

blue

gucci
Years
Since Swellow is my #1 favourite Pokemon it's pretty clear which line I voted for, I do like all the others too.

Years
  • Seen Jan 7, 2016
I liked Staraptor the most because it was the most useful out of all the other ones.

trapincher

Rocket Executive
Years
  • Seen Jan 1, 2014
I Design wise: Pidgey > Taillow > Starly > Hoothoot > Pidove.
Staraptor is really powerful though.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Starly, hands down. Staraptor easily sets itself apart from the other fully evolved starting birds for its ability to learn Close Combat to hit Rocks and Steels hard.

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
Years
  • Age 27
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 10, 2023
I liked Staraptor. It had a pretty sick design coupled with useable stats in comparison with Pidgeot and Swellow.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
I think Spearow/Fearow should also be an option on this list - Spearow are available in Kanto just one route after Pidgey so I've always considered them both to be the starter birds of Kanto. Plus, they're in the very first episode of the anime. Not that I would have chosen Spearow, I just think they deserve a mention :P

Anyway, Pidgey is my definite choice. Even aside from it being the original which gets my nostalgic gears turning and sends me on a trip down Memory Wharfage, I think it has by far the best design of them all. They've simply yet to come up with cooler looking birds since the Pidgey line. Pidgey itself is obviously nothing special, but Pidgeotto is nothing short of beautiful and they've yet to trump the majestic look of Pidgeot. I don't think they ever will. Simply beautiful feat of animation.

My least favourite is by far the Pidove line. Unfezant is the dorkiest bird I've ever seen in my entire life. And this is a world that includes a two-headed ostrich.

Rainbow Arcanine

now known as aslan
Years
I loved Tailow out of all of them :3.It was my first bird Pokemon ever and I've loved it no matter what other people say. Apart from being utterly adorable ^^, I've loved how it can use some diverse moves and how speedy it is.

Swellow is a powerhouse,being one of the speediest bird Pokemon and deadly.Also I love the designs,red and dark blue along with white? That's just awesome :D.

I have to say I have a little love for Pidgey as well since it is also really cute ^^. I've used one in HG and he was a decent guy :D.

Back