• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Metal & Color Generation Help Thread

Best secondary Pokemon Growlithe, Abra, or Machop?

• Growlithe

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Abra

Votes: 9 60.0%
  • Machop

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen May 10, 2014
I want to play Pokemon Crystal... should I play the original game or go for Liquid Crystal?

Hello!

I ever wanted to play Pokemon Crystal, but for many reasons that I don't think anyone wants to know I haven't been able to. But now I want to do it, and I am getting ready for it, so I wanted to ask this community their opinion in the matter that concerns this topic, you may have already read it, but as the title reads "should I play the original game or go for Liquid Crystal?", and by original game, I mean the GBC game and official version of this game.

I want to experience what is it to play this game, but its tempting to go for the "revamped" (or I guess its supposed to be, and if its I cant really tell for sure) hacked remake that some skilled and hardworking people made, may it be for the new and updated mechanics, the graphics, the extra content, or whatever.

So, what is your opinion in this matter? can you help me decide? of course I can always play the GBC version and then in the future play the other one, its just that it took me this long to finally get into business with the game and I am not sure when I would be able play both.

And for no reason I am going to say it again, I just want to experience what this game is, and I think I fear that I will be missing it if I play the new version (maybe there is "something" that wont be there, or maybe the new features are too big of a change)

Thank you to anyone that took the time to help me with my unimportant concerns :) , I am looking to reading whatever you have to say.

See you later!

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen May 20, 2014
I'll tell you right now that Pokemon Crystal is my all-time favorite Pokemon game, I loved nearly everything about it. If you get over the fact that the game is over a decade old now, I'd give it a try! Hours of amazing, fun gameplay.

Years
  • Seen May 10, 2014
Well, I surely can get over that, I actually enjoy games way older than this game, and I don't think this would be an exception, its just that that the hack remake caught my eye. But probably I am going to play the original game and maybe later give it a try to this Liquid Crystal, I mean, why not?

So anyway, if someone who has played both games can share their opinion of them, it would appreciated.

Thanks for your reply!

Years
Do you want to play an orignal or a fake game? Easy as that.
It's not that simple.
'Fake' games can be better or equal to their original counterparts. However, Crystal has this natural charm that I can't quite explain. I suppose that if you want shinier graphics and overall a more Advance-d experience, you should pick Liquid Crystal. If you want to play the original experience, then play regular Vanilla Crystal. It's the same game, anyways.

Years
  • Seen May 10, 2014
Do you want to play an original or a fake game? Easy as that.

That is the a kind of harsh but effective way to say it, and I guess you can say its exactly why I didn't want to go for "Liquid Crystal", but it got me interested with all the pretty things that offers.

And as I said, I plan to play the official game, even thought the hacked game seems to be nicely done, someone surely put a lot of work into it.

But as I said, maybe sometime I will play that one, I bet it would be fun and that is what it is for after all.

Thank you for your replies!

Edit:

It's not that simple.
'Fake' games can be better or equal to their original counterparts. However, Crystal has this natural charm that I can't quite explain. I suppose that if you want shinier graphics and overall a more Advance-d experience, you should pick Liquid Crystal. If you want to play the original experience, then play regular Vanilla Crystal. It's the same game, anyways.

Charm is a good way to say it. Thank you for the advice, If I have the possibility I want to play both, but if you don't mind it I am going for the regular game first.

Years
It's not that simple.

That is the a kind of harsh but effective way to say it, and I guess you can say its exactly why I didn't want to go for "Liquid Crystal", but it got me interested with all the pretty things that offers.

And as I said, I plan to play the official game, even thought the hacked game seems to be nicely done, someone surely put a lot of work into it.

But as I said, maybe sometime I will play that one, I bet it would be fun and that is what it is for after all.

Thank you for your replies!

Edit:

Charm is a good way to say it. Thank you for the advice, If I have the possibility I want to play both, but if you don't mind it I am going for the regular game first.

I believe it it that easy.
OP, sorry if it sounded harsh, I wasn't trying to be a jerk or anything, Im just saying how I think it is :D

What are you looking for in a game exactly?

If you want the feel of playing an old game with one of the longest story, go with Crystal. I foyu like the story, but not the graphics, go with Soulsilver. I googled, so apparently Liquid Crystal is Crystal with 3rd gen graphics. I would go with Soulsilver if graphics bug you. Go with Crystal cos originals are always better, remakes can be "better", but they are not originals. Idk how to explain.

Anyway, definitely play both, and if I were you, I'd start with original :D

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
Pokémon Crystal is amazing, trust me, if you've never played any second-generation games before but have played others ahead of them, then you'd probably won't be enjoying them as much. If you do want to enjoy, you'v be better off playing their remakes, which, in this case, would be HeartGold and SoulSilver. n_n;; If you're unable to get a hold of them, then Liquid Crystal could work, too; in terms of graphics, functionality, and game-play, they are all better (this could be seen as opinion, but still).

Years
  • Seen May 10, 2014
I believe it it that easy.
OP, sorry if it sounded harsh, I wasn't trying to be a jerk or anything, Im just saying how I think it is :D

Do not worry, that is why I said "kind of harsh" ;) , but not really, no problem :)

What are you looking for in a game exactly?

If you want the feel of playing an old game with one of the longest story, go with Crystal. I foyu like the story, but not the graphics, go with Soulsilver. I googled, so apparently Liquid Crystal is Crystal with 3rd gen graphics. I would go with Soulsilver if graphics bug you. Go with Crystal cos originals are always better, remakes can be "better", but they are not originals. Idk how to explain.

Anyway, definitely play both, and if I were you, I'd start with original :D

I understand what you say, and I already expressed that its the reason I was not sure to go for the unofficial remake.

When I was young I played Pokémon Blue and I loved it, and I wanted to play this game, it was natural, I guess, and I thought it would be fun to play it even after all this years, and I bet it is

I wont feel satisfied if I don't play the original before the so called remake, or so I think, thats why I am going to play them in that order, I wont play the second immediately after the first one, but I will.

To both Seven and Peitharchia: as for why I wont go for HeartGold or SoulSilver, at the moment I don't have any means to play them :P , that's why

Varion Bluefire

A.K.A The Glitch
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 3, 2015
I'd pick the original crystal.
No offence to LaZ, who made LC, but it includes too many new things that weren't or aren't realted to the original story.
Like Suicune flooding Johto.
Time Travel
The douchébagier extra rival.

Etc, etc.

Pokehoofian10

Time Traveling Pony Pokemon Trainer
Years
Eeveelutions

Ok so I've been playing Pokemon Crystal, and I have two Eevees. (I don't even know if that's correct) And I want to evolve them. I know what I need to do, but I don't know how. Like I know to get a Vaporeon you need to use a water stone. Jolteon = Thunder Stone. Flareon = Fire Stone. Espeon = High friendship and daytime. Umbreon = High friendship and nighttime. If they had the other ones I'd get Leafeon. But sadly in Crystal they don't. :( And I wanted to have as many plant Pokemon as possible. Anywho, if you know how to do any of this stuff let me know! :3 Thanks!

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
Years
Well, you can get the evolutionary stones from Bill's grandfather. He's all the way northeast of Cerulean City. For happiness, just spam using the items like Carbos, Calcium, etc, and then level it up when you think it has a high enough happiness. Or, just battle with it a lot until its happiness goes up, then level it up. Be sure to save before you level it up via Rare Candy though, just in case it doesn't work.

edit: it happens that in Crystal, you can get the 3 evolutionary stones from trainers. Schoolboy Alan on Route 36 gives you the Fire Stone, Fisherman Tully on Route 42 gives you the Water Stone, and Lass Dana gives you the Thunderstone. She's on Route 38. The best thing is they're all Johto routes, so no need to play along with just an Eevee.

Last edited:

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
Years
I'd go for Crystal. Put simply, it's the original game. You don't get anything that differs from the original story, which is what I like about playing the base games. It's more of a surreal experience if you're playing the original games rather than a ROM hack.

Pokehoofian10

Time Traveling Pony Pokemon Trainer
Years
Thanks! Now I can get my Eevees to evolve! :D Hooray!

Edit: Umm... are you absolutely positive that the fisherman is at Route 42? I've walked around several times and no one is there.

Last edited:
Years
There is a fisherman in Route 42 on the right side next to water.

You need him registered in PokeGear for him to give you the Water Stone. Not sure if he calls you for Water Stone or if you have to beat him in a rematch first.

Years
  • Seen May 10, 2014
I'd go for Crystal. Put simply, it's the original game. You don't get anything that differs from the original story, which is what I like about playing the base games. It's more of a surreal experience if you're playing the original games rather than a ROM hack.

I can agree with that too

Dragon_Trainer_

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Years
See, I'll list stuff out for you..........

Firstly, the most important thing, Graphics. In this aspect Pokemon Liquid Crystal works better as it is based off the Fire Red ROM which had very awesome graphics and was originally made for GBA systems. The Original Pokemon Crystal was made for GBC systems and it lacks in the graphical aspects.

Secondly, the gameplay. Pokemon Crystal has the original storyline and you can easily quit it whenever you like but you'll still feel as if you've had the experience. But if you play Pokemon Liquid Crystal, you'll be facing a Huge and New Storyline which blends very intelligently into the original storyline. Even though it is very good, it is not what you'd have thought of the original one. It spans as far as the Orange Islands.

Thirdly, the Pokemon. Pokemon Liquid Crystal has additional Pokemon going till the 356 maybe. I haven't as yet played it completely so I don't know about their unlocking time and all.

Lastly, as per your usage. You only wish to get an experience of the Generation and not exactly complete the game. Due to this fact, I'll recommend that you do not go as far to patch Liquid Crystal and all that stuff, just go and play the Original Pokemon Crystal.

Years
  • Seen Mar 17, 2018
A question to Rollout

I have given my Golem an Hard Stone, he knows Defense Curl and Rollout. When I use Defense Curl first the Rollout damage increases by 100%, so 60.
My question is: Does the STAB-bonus give the Rollout-damage another 30 damage, or just the normal 15 bonus damage? And does the Hard Stone increase the damage of Defense Curled Rollout by the 10% of the original 30 damage, 3 points, or by the 10% of the doubled damage of 60, 6 bonus damage?
Or do I have in the end a total damage of 99, because Defense Curl + Rollout = 30*2 = 60 + STAB-Bonus = 60*1,5 = 90 + Hard Stone Bonus = 90 + 10% = 99?

I'm sorry, if I asked this question too complicated, I have problems in asking questions in English.

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
Years
If my maths isn't horrible (and it probably is, might edit this post with a double check later), then the move's base power + Defense Curl power doubling + STAB + Hard Stone will equate to 108 base power.

Rollout with the STAB bonus becomes 45, so yeah, the extra 15, while Rollout with the Hard Stone alone is 36.

The Hard Stone increases damage to the base power move, if I recall correctly. Hope this helped~!

edit: okay it seems my calculations are correct to that 108. Just double checked.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back