• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Platinum Team

Years
  • Seen May 26, 2012
Hey guys! I'm playing Platinum again and I would like to know if you have any suggestions for my team. I haven't beaten Volkner yet, but I have access to HGSS games (for move tutoring), DPPT (move tutoring), and TMS.

Alright, here it is.

085.gif

Dodrio
- Brave Bird
- Faint Attack
- Quick Attack
- Fly
I wanted to try a flying type that I hadn't used before, so I looked at the list and found that I wanted to try Dodrio, so here he is. I know he's basically inferior to like, every flying type - especially Staraptor - but he isn't dead weight. I bred the Brave Bird and Faint Attack on him, and unfortunately I have to keep Fly on there.

448.gif

Lucario
- Aura Sphere
- Dark Pulse
- Flash Cannon
- Dragon Pulse
I actually haven't used Lucario in a playthrough before, so here he is. I got a Riley egg from my Diamond and transferred it over here so I could get him early. Since the rest of my team is physical based, I wanted a Special Attacker, and he was perfect for this.

409.gif

Rampardos
- Stone Edge
- Outrage
- Zen Headbutt
- Avalanche
Meet Rampardos, my physical beast. He is amazing, and I even got lucky with an Adamant nature AND a 27 IV in Attack. That's pretty good. Two of my team members already knows EQ, so Stone Edge is here and anyway, it's STAB boosted. Outrage is really, really cool, Zen Headbutt is just there, and Avalanche is almost always hits with double power because everyone always outspeeds Rampardos anyway.

466.gif

Electivire
- Thunderpunch
- Fire Punch
- Brick Break
- Rock Climb
Another physical attacker, and my water switch in, since water is a danger to half my team. Nothing else to really say here, except Rock Climb is a filler.

472.gif

Gliscor
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang
- X-Scissor
- Night Slash
He's my ground/rock type switch in - EQ for Rocks/Steels, Ice Fang for Grounds - because it also hurts half my team. He just comes in, absorbs the hit, and strikes back. Yeah.

392.gif

Infernape
- Close Combat
- Flare Blitz
- Shadow Claw
- Earthquake
Yeah, I know. Shadow Claw on Infernape? It actually does pretty well, believe it or not. It hits those pesky ghosts that think they can withstand the power of Infernape's CC. Flare Blitz and Close Combat are obvious, and EQ is just awesome.

Thanks for looking!

jab2033

Exit Light, Enter Night
Years
My comments & Changes will be in BOLD:

085.gif

Dodrio
- Steel Wing
- Faint Attack
- Tri Attack
- Fly

Honestly, you only need 1 Flying attack. I'd choose Fly as you don't have to deel with Brave Bird's recoil. Steel Wing is also nice to have as you can hit Rock types which otherwise wall the old set. Tri Attack is a much more powerful STAB than Quick Attack, unless you like the priority.
448.gif

Lucario
- Aura Sphere
- Dark Pulse
- Psychic
- Dragon Pulse

Only thing here is Psychic over Flash Cannon. Yes, Flash Cannon is STAB, but Steel really isn't a good attacking type. Psychic hits much more Pokemon than Flash Cannon does.
409.gif

Rampardos
- Stone Edge
- Outrage/Earthquake
- Zen Headbutt
- Avalanche/Earthquake

Even though two of your team knows EQ, it's still a must-have on this set. Replace either Outrage or Avalanche, as both of them can hit Dragon types. I'd prefer removing Outrage, as Avalanche gets more type coverage along with the QuakeEdge combo.
466.gif

Electivire
- Thunderpunch
- Fire Punch
- Brick Break
- Rock Climb

I'd suggest Earthquake over Brick Break, but I don't know how many EQ TMs you have access to. They are available in the HG/SS Battle Frontier, but I don't know if you have access to that and being able to trade. Looks good otherwise.
472.gif

Gliscor
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang
- Thunder Fang
- Night Slash/Swords Dance/Aerial Ace/Roost

Electric + Ice gives excellent coverage, and Thunder Fang can hit Gliscor's Water weakness. Swords Dance can boost the Atk stat, and Roost can heal. Or you could choose Aerial Ace for a second STAB. Or just keep Night Slash.

392.gif

Infernape
- Close Combat
- Flare Blitz
- Shadow Claw
- Earthquake

Try Stone Edge or Rock Slide over Shadow Claw. Ground and Rock gives excellent type coverage along with your STAB attacks.

Not too bad overall. Personally, though, I'd get another Special Attacker. Perhaps Mixed Inferanpe with this set:
-Flamethrower/Overheat
-Grass Knot
-Calm Mind
-Close Combat

Just a suggestion. I would get another Special Attacker, however.

Years
  • Seen May 26, 2012
Tri Attack does literally nothing on Dodrio, because its Special, not Physical. (unless I'm missing something...) I'm actually going to keep Brave Bird, because I had to chain breed it onto him (:P) and it does loads more damage than Fly. Once I'm done with the storyline I'm going to put Steel Wing over Fly, but for now, I could just switch to Rampardos for rock types. I don't really keep him in on them.

Thanks, I'll try Psychic out, I just thought I wouldn't use it because Dark Pulse hits whatever it does for supereffective except for Fighting types.

I'll try replacing Avalanche for now, because I've got another Avalanche TM, and see if this works. :P

I've got more EQ TMs, but Brick Break has really been working for Electivire. I'll try it anyway.

I replaced Night Slash with Thunder Fang, thanks for the help.

I would try the Special Infernape set, but he has an Adamant nature, which wouldn't work in that set. I'll try mixing it up, though.

Back