• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen New Pokemon and Type Combinations Speculation

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
If they ever make a wind or Air type I imagine it being Strong against electric, and weak against fire (because flames absorb air), and electricity is weakened/slowed down by air resistance. Also it'll be useful as Electric has only one weakness, that being Ground, heck Gen V introduced an electric type with no weaknesses because it's ability negates ground attacks...

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
So is Psychic and Ghost, because those are supernatural things, so is Rock and Steel because they can be minerals also, and so is Dark and Ghost, because of forces of evil and darkness.

Psychic and Ghost are two different spectrums of Supernatural forces. Psychic Energy is from a living brain while ghosts are the remains of souls that did not pass on. Both foundation for each is completely different. Ghosts also are not evil, neither is darkness. Darkness is only associated as evil for religious purposes. It is an unknown entity and cannot be fathomed by normal men. Since it is so mysterious, it is deemed evil out of pretext.

There are a few holes within your argument there. What is that sense that allows you to feel when you're burned by something, or hurt by something? I mean, by what you're implying through that argument, it apparently doesn't exist. :\ The sense of touch allows you to feel pain from fighting, it allows you to feel burns from fire, it allows you to feel the freezing cold of water as well as the frigid temperatures of Ice. They're not in SOLID tangible form yes, but you can still touch them and know immediately what they feel like.

Feeling is a Sense. Touch is an action. They are completely different. You can feel without touching and you can touch without feeling. Watch fear factor or any of those shows where they just try to freak people out. One of the most common things is to bury them alive. MANY people halucinate and start feeling things crawling over them. They can actually feel insects or unknown creatures crawling over their bodies yet there is no contact made as there is nothing there. They feel something but they are not touching anything. Same if you try a placebo experiment. You give some people a sugar pill. Tell them what symptoms they are going to feel. 1 out of almost every group will start to feel the symptoms even though what was given to them was just a sugar pill.

As for Flying, I'm pretty sure you can touch a bird, since those are physical, and anything that has wings, of course. I mean, 3/4s of all flying types are birds, so...I'm pretty sure that's just for consistency purposes, but that's just me.

Not all flying types are birds and again Flying is an action not an element. Many things can fly you can touch all of these things that can fly, but you cannot touch the actual action of flying.

• Ghosts have the ability to materialize themselves into a physical form. Therefore, in a very strict sense, they are able to be touched, hence is why moves other than normal or fighting (that have direct contact) can affect them.
  • You have a very solid point about Electricity as well as Fire and Water, so I'll leave those alone.
  • You can't really physically touch Psychic energy. That I agree with. However, Psychic energy cannot simply come out of nowhere, there has to be a physical form controlling it.
  • Darkness I agree with, but I believe Dark is more like an act an evil more than anything else, and in a very strict sense, you can defeat whatever is "evil", and therefore making dark tangible in that sense. However, that theory is very far-fetched, so I'll give you the rest.
  • Ghosts are completely incorporeal. If you are going by Pokemon standards, each of them are contradictions to their own movesets more than half the time. Gastly and Misdreavous are made completely of gas. There is no solid form for either of them. Gastly in one Anime could not be hit by any physical attack what so ever. In a more modern view, ghosts are what was left of your soul that didn't pass on due to what ever lingering feelings. In most of the oldest myths, you could not touch a ghost nor could they touch you. Some if you tried a ghost could steal your soul and kill you without even touching you. They just pass through and grab your soul and pulls it out of your body. The only two ways to get rid of ghosts were through spiritually charged mediums (in the forms of tags in japan, dolls that were blessed by priests, or with magnetic iron as it dissipate their forms.
  • Psychic energy is energy of the mind and nothing else. Its all mental control and force. Most of the times a psychic blast controls the air around and slams the air with force similar to a sonic boom. There is no physical force in psychic energy.
  • Darkness as stated is not evil. Its unknown. People fear the unknown and just slap labels on everything like that to prevent others from following a path they cannot follow.

The point that I'm getting at is that it just...wouldn't make sense to me if wind was introduced. Fighting is more of a representation or symbolism to Pokemon who resemble blackbelts, or heroes, or things of that nature. I mean, in my perspective, you're tackling whats supposed to be a representation and instead turning it into something non-physical. Something that applies to pretty much every single type in Pokemon. Minus rock and steel, of course.

Well then, now we are getting into personal opinions. There is no right or wrong in personal opinions. That's why they are called that. There are many types right now that many fans find pointless just as you see Wind. I don't see a reason for Rock and Ground split, but I'm a traditional RPGist. My Ground element even includes Grass, Roots, Wood, and Leaves.

You're probably going to make an argument about "well, can wind be a representation?" Yeah, of course. But answer this: What creatures are supposed to symbolize wind? Considering that birds as well as other flying beings are technically of the "flying" type, what do you have left? Yeah sure, you have Suicune, who's technically the embodiment of the North Wind, but also keep in mind that Suicune's role has very little to do with the wind itself as much as it does purifying the waters that it comes across. You don't see Suicune guarding "Wind", you see it guarding water, and being around water, making it's home around water, hence water type.

Actually we already have Pokemon that represent wind. You don't need one specific animal or creature to represent it. There are always many creatures that make up an element. Fiaries while traditionally don't hold to one specific element are a good example of possible wind element creatures. Harpies are another. We have a demon god that controls the winds through magic and fans (Tengu) already used. We have a Demon God of Storms (Fuujin) and Demon God of thunderous weather (Raijin). We even have a wolf like creature that embodies the north wind. They can even go as far as to create litteral wind bodied creatures like a living whirlwind. Many RPGs have done to.

If there's too many logical fallacies, then why are you applying logic to Wind, as if it would make it any more logically possible than the rest of the existing types? You continue to say that yes, Flying and Wind are different things, but why can't Flying types learn wind attacks? They have wings for a reason, do they? I mean, how the heck else can Zapdos learn Heat Wave, as well as other Pokemon like Honchkrow? Heck, I'd argue that a good amount of Pokemon that are flying types can learn a good amount of "wind" attacks (whirlwind, gust etc), so why do you continue to push for it as a separate type?
Why am I trying to apply logic when Pokemon is already incredibly illogical? Because you are trying to use logic to discredit a reason for a new type. Not all flying types have wings also so using "they have wings for a reason" is a poorly built defense. A lot of wind based creatures didn't have wings. Some could fly without wings through use of the wind alone.

The Quilin or Kirin is usually associated with Wind/Lighting attributes. (chinese Quilin is earth elemented as its also known as the Yellow Dragon.)
The Azure Dragon in Chinese mythology is wingless and represents Wood, but controls the element of wind.

I can't remember the name of it and its proving hard to find, but there is a beast who's howls cause hurricane like storms to appear. He could also blow hurricane force wind from his mouth.

And you're probably going to make the argument that "well Derk, that's silly, because that means other Pokemon that can learn moves of other types don't make sense, either". But then again, you would neglect what I said about representation. Heck, if GF wanted to make a Wind type, shouldn't Tornadus be that perfect Pokemon for it? It's ENTIRELY based on wind, and there isn't anything that's not "Wind"-y/ish about it. But for the sake of consistency, it's flying, as making it Wind-type would make no sense whatsoever, because even though that you point out differences between Wind and Flying, those differences are very minimal at best.
If they add a Wind type whose to say he won't lose his flying type? Actually all three of the Kami Trio would fit in fairly well. Also Tornadus doesn't learn all the wind based attacks as odd as it is. He's based off of the Demon god of Storm but doesn't learn all the wind based attacks.

I'd disagree with you with that, because Ground hardens into rock which hardens into steel (if I'm correct on this) . Yes, it's an evolutionary process which totally makes sense, and all three have different weaknesses as well as different strengths. I don't believe you can erode something that's technically steel-hard (but I could be wrong on that), but you could on something that's either rock or ground. You can freeze something that's steel, but I doubt it would do much, hence not very effective, while on the other hand, freezing temperatures might break down regular rocks as well as make soil very uninhabitable for plants, hence Ice being supereffective against both. Technically, if you were strong enough, you can break steel (somehow) and you can break apart rocks, hence fighting being super-effective against both. But I don't see what punching the ground would do on a significant level, which is why it's neutral for the most part.
Everything can erode. Even steel eventually gives out to constant beating through some element. Actually freezing metal makes it brittle which makes it easier to break. Also Ice isn't super effective against rock, just ground. Steel resists ice while Rock is neutral. Also hitting steel upon steel will break steel. Fighting or not, as there is more than just physically picking up and using an item that creates force. Propelling steel through use of another machine or even simply dropping it. Steel on steel, one of the steels will break. Yet, in Pokemon Steel resists Steel type.

And as such, attacks like Blizzard and Ice beam, as well as Aurora Beam as well as Hail would suddenly just disappear, right? .__. Of course, all of these things come from one basis: Water. And it's a process how water can turn into hail as well as ice. You're also forgetting that this is a children's Pokemon game and I don't think making a complex process of water having a freeze chance and educating them on that would entirely make the most sense. What makes sense to most is this: Ice can freeze, and Water can either drown you or can burn. Yes, it makes total sense that diving into freezing water can indeed cause frostbite as well as hypothermia, but why go into the technicalities, as that's not the point in a Pokemon game?

No one said anything about getting rid of attacks. Retyping an attack simply retypes it. Hail would now be a water move, same with Ice beam and Blizzard if Blizzard weren't retyped as wind. I'm also not forgetting anything. Its still a game that uses a good number of basic sciences with in it. The freeze cycle as well as evaporation cycles are taught in kindergarden. To 5 and 6 year olds. The games are made for 10 year olds. Its a concept that they can understand. Please don't put words in my mouth.

This I agree with you, as I'm not entirely sure why Bullet Punch is a steel move in general. I can only go through the huge assumption (going by the name here) that it means striking with the force of a bullet, and since the material of a bullet (depending on which one you use) could blast apart rocks, I believe that it's something stronger than rock, hence steel.

Flash Cannon is more like an attack of light more than anything else, but as we all know, light-type doesn't exist yet. I would imagine. Gyro Ball makes sense in the fact that you're getting hit by something EXTREMELY slow and yet you're getting hit very hard at the same time. Note that there is no steel type with a speed above 90 that can learn this move (and even if they could, it wouldn't be very effective). Steel types aren't known for being very fast types at all, so I can see why this would make sense above all.

I guess at a very huge stretch (going back to the Flash Cannon argument here), Flash cannon would technically come from Steel types bending light into some sort of offensive attack, but again, that's a stretch.

To kinda kill your stretch. There is a WELL known Light based Normal attack called Flash. Flash Cannon. Flash. Normal typed. Also Morning Sun and Moonlight are both Normal attacks.

Less reason actually, because Wind, again, has no representation of anything. Water and Ice can be related, but what is Wind supposed to be related to?

All the more reason to add it in and give it proper recognition other than a similar way that Sound attacks exist. Sound is already an unofficial type thanks to Sound Proof categorizing which moves don't work.

MRAS said:
If they ever make a wind or Air type I imagine it being Strong against electric, and weak against fire (because flames absorb air), and electricity is weakened/slowed down by air resistance. Also it'll be useful as Electric has only one weakness, that being Ground, heck Gen V introduced an electric type with no weaknesses because it's ability negates ground attacks...

Sorta a point to what I've said before. I would never have made this assoicaition, so my "Wind Type" wouldn't have been SE against Electric or Weak to Fire. Makes sense as I think about it, but I never would have thought of this on my own.

Years
  • Seen Oct 10, 2013
What would that be even weak to though? Nor is anything in the actual world, well, "random". I definitely don't see that happening. Maybe a Pokémon could be based on that concept and be a Normal type, but definitely not as a type all on its own.

Gastly is just a ball of gas, and so is Haunter, but you can still hit them. Basically, in Pokemon you throw a rock at a ball of gas and it kills it (Pokemon Logic), so I still believe there to be no problem with a wind type.
Even then, just because it is wind type doesn't mean it can't have a physical form. Golurk is part ghost, yet it technically isn't a ghost, just a giant automaton. IMO, the Gengar line are the only actual ghosts. Sure Spiritomb, Dusknoir, and Cofagrigus are ghosts to some extent, except they are ghosts that can be hit by any attack (aside from normal and fighting).
Just because wind is technically unable to be hit, neither are ghosts but they can be hit in the pokemon world, so THERE! I WIN IN THIS ARGUMENT :cool:

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years

I'm sorry, but I just thought of Naruto and types of chakra.

I wouldn't see there being a wind type, a lot of flying types would change type otherwise.

Guy

just a guy
Years
So this has been going on for a little while, but just as a reminder and not to confuse the two, but speculation about new types (i.e Machine, Wind, etc., etc.) can be directed and discussed over in the "An introduction of new types...?" thread. This thread here is just for speculation about new Pokémon ideas and type combinations [that haven't been used yet].

Last edited:

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
Just to kind of carry the topic away from that, I'd love to see an Electric/Grass type. I have no idea what I would even base it off of, but I just really want to see one. Only weak to Fire and Ice, but neutral to pretty much everything else for the most part.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
Dark/Psychic is something I'd like to see. 4x Weakness to Bug, but neutral to everything else, iirc? It'd be quite interesting. xD

Also immune to Psychic, but that is pretty much fine. It's coverage isn't fantastic but it's STAB would hit everything except Dark and Steel for at least neutral damage. Not too shabby, plus it's super-effective hits are very shallow, so no big deal!

Years
Dark+Psychic can be really funny and awesome. It would fit with some nasty mind controller (kind of Hypno's cousin :D) with rattled and a focus sash and some uber spatk it can probably be a beast, especially if it can learn some fire and/or fighting move, hmm....

Grass+Electric can be good a good tank, or with serene grace + introducing some grass move that can inflict some status alitement or let it be able to learn leaf blade and wild charge hmm...

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
I could definitely see the Grass/Electric type being a solid offensive Pokémon. It has two types that compliment each other with great synergy, so it could definitely hit stuff with a wide range of moves. It could have things on the special spectrum (Giga Drain, Thunderbolt), and physical spectrum (Wild Charge, maybe Leaf Blade?), so it could be pretty versatile.

Years
  • Seen Oct 10, 2013
Electric/Grass, hmm interesting type combination, I like it!
I found a (fanmade) grass/electric pokemon on Google images and I thought it was pretty cool:
Spoiler:

It looks like a special attacker but I think it could learn leaf blade.
I also made my own evo for this poke, it's called Lillamp (Lilly and lamp), stats:

Hp: 120
Atk: 90
Def: 100
SpAtk: 105
SpDef: 120
Spd 5
BST: 540

A special wall, and a physical wall to some extent, and is also has decent special attack as well as mediocre attack. It's speed is just horrible though. Maybe it could be offensive instead?

Hp: 60
Atk: 130
Def: 65
SpAtk: 95
SpDef: 70
Spd 120
BST: 540

Physical sweeper with OK special attack, but terrible defenses. :(
Powerful, but one ice shard will take it out easy.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
I'd love an Ice/Rock Pokémon, but it would need to have Tyranitar-like stats to be even remotely viable. Weak to Stealth Rock, 4x weak to Fighting, 4x weak to Bullet Punch, not a very good defensive type at all.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
It can be viable in the lower tiers, though, given that Bullet Punch doesn't exist there. Would also have an interesting design likely, too. :3

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
Only problem is that it's still weak to the common Mach Punch down there =P But I do think that it would potentially look awesome!

Years
  • Seen Feb 8, 2015
I personally would like to see a bunch of Big Cat pokemon. Tiger, Lion, Jaguar, Cheetah, Panther. I love the Killer Whale idea. Though when I see Kyogre, that's what I imagine to be as close to a Killer Whale as they'll get. Also I would love to see some mythical creatures. Centaur, Mermaid, Sphinx, Griphon, Pegasus. Bigfoot. Haha.

Years
Since the 6th Gen is based, apparently, on Europe, odds are that we'll see some Pokes based on mythical creatures, Sylveon is already a "nymph" it seems.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
I would love for there to be more mythical creatures in these games! It's kind of strange, because I thought GF kind of forgotten all about those. @_@ Hopefully they decide to put more mythical creatures in these games. Seeing an (actual) sphinx Pokemon would be awesome~!

They still did put them in, I mean Sigilyph is based off of the Nazca lines which is a myth itself. Litwick is similar to a Will-o-the-wisp based on Pokedex about it sucking out your soul and getting a larger flame. Even Jellicent and Frillish are loosely based on krakens where their "they drag ships and sailors down into the depths where they drown" sorta info.

Volcarona is also based off some myth about the Sun. It gets smaller, but they still keep the myth thing going.

Euorpe wise and America are harder to do due to less myths, though if Europe I'm praying for some Minotaur.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Hmm...I've been thinking about something...an undead Dragon of some sort.

Ghost/Dragon. A strange combination, but it'd have such a cool design concept of some sort. @__@

487.gif
"Hi how ya doin buddy?"
487-origin.gif
"Have we ever met before?"

XP I know not what you meant but the general structure is similar. If Ghost and Dragon, I'd kinda want something a little more dark. Like a Dragon that steals Souls or devours worlds (Alduin mode activate!)

Zombie-esque designs are kinda overdone in society. Necromancer Dragon would be cool though.

Back