• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Feb 10, 2012
Sorry To ask so many questions

1. How do you create new field moves (Surf, Cut, Whirlpool, etc.)?

2. How can you make it that Pokemon exceed level 100?

Years
  • Seen Apr 20, 2012
How can I

How can I change the names of pokemon trainers in pokemon black and white? Also is there a way to add a new area (like a house) into the game?

Darkdata

15 year old me was an idiot.
Years
  • Age 39
  • Seen Nov 25, 2013
Just curious if anyone has figured out how you're position on a route affects the world map position?

For those who can't remember: When you travel along a route, the world map updates your position.

I was wondering if anyone has found a way to change how the routes affect world map position. (Not location, Advance Map allows you to edit that table.)

Thanks.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
How do I completely remove Oak's intro at the beginning of FireRed? I just want a prompt for player name at the beginning, without a prompt for the rival's name.
It's possible to use ASM to change or remove the intro. If you play Pokemon Sienna by Manipulation, you'll noticed that they took the prompt for the rival's name out of the intro and inserted it later in the game.

Years
  • Seen Apr 13, 2014
Alright, I've got a quick question for hacking the grass on Fire Red. I plan to have the normal grass for grassy routes, and snow-covered grass for snowy routes. I already have the snowy grass fixed so that it plays the tall grass animation, but I did that several months ago (took a bit of a hiatus from hacking, and forgot a lot of what I had learned >.<), and i can't find the tutorial that showed me how to change the grass. I'm just wondering if someone could point me in the right direction, and also tell me if it's possible to change which palette the tall grass animation refers to, without messing up the normal grass animation? If I can do that, I can just change the animation to what I need it to be (that is, if I can remember how to get to the grass animations...)

Many thanks to anyone who can help!!!

Last edited:

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
Years
Sorry To ask so many questions

1. How do you create new field moves (Surf, Cut, Whirlpool, etc.)?

2. How can you make it that Pokemon exceed level 100?

1. Basic field moves where you interact with an OW (Cut, Rock Smash etc) can be replicated pretty easily by looking at their scripts through a script editor such as XSE. Other field moves (Fly, Surf, Flash, Teleport, Softboiled etc) are very difficult to edit without screwing up the ROM. For those kinds of moves you would definitely need to know ASM in order to edit, let alone create an entirely new field move.

2. There is no way that I know of.

Alright, I've got a quick question for hacking the grass on Fire Red. I plan to have the normal grass for grassy routes, and snow-covered grass for snowy routes. I already have the snowy grass fixed so that it plays the tall grass animation, but I did that several months ago (took a bit of a hiatus from hacking, and forgot a lot of what I had learned >.<), and i can't find the tutorial that showed me how to change the grass. I'm just wondering if someone could point me in the right direction, and also tell me if it's possible to change which palette the tall grass animation refers to, without messing up the normal grass animation? If I can do that, I can just change the animation to what I need it to be (that is, if I can remember how to get to the grass animations...)

Many thanks to anyone who can help!!!

Here is the tutorial that shows you how to change the grass animation. I'm not sure about changing the pallet though.

I think there's actually a new tool out now that does what you're asking.

Unfortunately that tool doesn't change the tall grass animation. It is only for tiles that are moving constantly and aren't influenced by any interaction you have with them, like the flowers and the ocean waves :P

Years
  • Seen Apr 13, 2014
@DavidJCobb: I actually found that tool a few months ago. Very useful. I've already added a new shallow water animation to my hack, and have plans for other animations I'd like to add. If anyone cares to see it, it's here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FP16yRnFxI

@DrFuji: Ah, I remember that tutorial now. That's the one I was looking for earlier. Yeah, I don't see anything mentioning splitting the palette for different colors of grass... Hmm... maybe if we found the offset under the tall grass's animation that called up what palette it uses, we could change it to reference a different one without messing up other grass tiles... Unfortunately, I am pretty inexperienced with a HEX editor. I can follow simple stuff and make changes if it's laid out bare in front of me, but I don't know yet how to actually look for what needs to be changed and then change it to what I need. If someone knows what I'm looking for, I guess send me a PM or something

Edit: P.S. DrFuji: I took a look at a beta for Lilac not too long ago. I didn't get too far, cuz another game got my attention (*cough* Chrono Cross *cough*), but I really liked what I saw. Keep up the good work. And if you have time, could you maybe take a look at what I've got for my project so far? It's on serebii right now, I probably won't bring it over here until my team and I can get it closer to a beta release, but here's the link if you're interested. http://beta.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=505339 The first few pages are mostly fakemon sprites, some good, some not so good. We're still working on that, but a few pages in I started posting a few maps, too.

Last edited:

jabberjabber8

../\..
Years
having issues with warps in A-map, in A-map i have checked every warp works again and again and again and there defiantly all in the right place. But in game when i try to enter the building the screen goes black and the rom freezes.

Any ideas?

Truality

Left for good
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen May 17, 2013
having issues with warps in A-map, in A-map i have checked every warp works again and again and again and there defiantly all in the right place. But in game when i try to enter the building the screen goes black and the rom freezes.

Any ideas?
Is the map that you get wrapped to an interior (e.g a pokemart)? If yes, have you significantly altered the dimensions (height, length) of that map? If yes again, that's your problem. Interiors for some reason cannot take much size, and the screen goes black when you wrap to such a map-which has been changed a lot in size.

jabberjabber8

../\..
Years
example: on original fired red rom at the end of route 2 is a building which then leads to viridian forest and at the end of the forest there is another identical building.
I have changed the first buildings dimensions and not the second, however both buildings have the same problem.

Years
  • Seen Apr 13, 2014
Now that you mention that bit, I know what youre talking about. I ran into this problem before. Im not sure what causes it, or how to fix it exactly, but it seems that some buildings are just linked in such a way that any changes made to one map will be reflected in the other linked map, and sometimes it may cause that room to glitch up like that. it should be alright if you just rebuild the room from scratch, or just copy and paste the whole thing over from a different house if you hold Ctrl and click and drag over the blocks you want to copy. its a pain when youre trying to make individual looking houses, but thems the breaks.

thats all i got on that. maybe someone else can help you more than i can

Years
  • Seen Oct 9, 2019
Now that you mention that bit, I know what youre talking about. I ran into this problem before. Im not sure what causes it, or how to fix it exactly, but it seems that some buildings are just linked in such a way that any changes made to one map will be reflected in the other linked map, and sometimes it may cause that room to glitch up like that. it should be alright if you just rebuild the room from scratch, or just copy and paste the whole thing over from a different house if you hold Ctrl and click and drag over the blocks you want to copy. its a pain when youre trying to make individual looking houses, but thems the breaks.

thats all i got on that. maybe someone else can help you more than i can
It happens because both of the maps' headers point to the same footer. Effectively, the same terrain and movement permissions are reused by both maps.

To fix it, you would need to use AMap's "Professional Header View" to repoint the map footer to free space. (Actually, it would probably take more than that... You'd have to create new copies of the map footer and everything it points to, and then make one of the maps use the new copy.)

Blaze the Cat

Life hurts, and so do I
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen May 19, 2014
im a hacking noob that needs a team for hacking emerald. how do teams work anyway

Years
  • Seen Dec 5, 2023
Let's say I wanted to have a script which would run differently depending on whether one of the player's pokemon was above or below a certain level.
Is it possible to check if, say, the first pokemon in the PC's party was above level 20 (any level above 20)? Or can checks only be run for specifics levels?

fengshen

fengshen113
Years
  • Seen Jan 6, 2012
If you mean creating a new effect or modifying an existing one (for example increase the chance of burn from 9% to 50%) then you'll need to reverse and rewrite some parts of code, as I said in my previous post, using ASM.
I don't know asm scripting, but I hope to modify some existing effects of moves. I have attempted to look for the location of the code but failed.

Let's say how I intended to find out the code of Pay Day's effect. As the effect of Pay Day is related to the user's level (the amount of money gained = user's level x 2 x number of uses), I guessed the script should include the location of the user's level.

For Pokemon Red the value of level is stored at [$D022], so I should be able to find out the script by testing each 2-byte value that is 22D0 in the rom. Say, if I modify a value from 22D0 to 23D0 and something unusual happens after using Pay Day, then probably I find the correct address.

However, the effect of Pay Day doesn't change even though I have tested all 22D0 in the rom. Is my hypothesis wrong?

I find asm is too complicated for me><

Last edited:

Darkdata

15 year old me was an idiot.
Years
  • Age 39
  • Seen Nov 25, 2013
So, on the Town Map Item (in FireRed) when you move along a route, your position changes as well. Has anyone found out how your position on a route affects your position on the Town Map item?

I would really like to know, as I have routes on my World Map that go horizontal instead of Vertical, and some that are shorter than the original routes, and since I changed my World Map the player position on it is off the route trails.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back