• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

Chit-Chat: EVAN PETERS HAVE MY BABIES

Status
Not open for further replies.

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 14, 2024
I have a question. Is Vampire Diaries worth watching? A friend showed me the first episode (which was pretty bad), but insists it's still a really good show. The vibe I get from it is that it's a vampire love triangle drama (hello there True Blood, Twilight, Buffy), and if that's the main selling point I'd like to know if there's anything else in it that might appeal to someone who doesn't necessarily think vampire love triangles make the best drama.

Vampire Diaries (along with the rest of the vampire spawn that was created because of the popularity of Twilight) should die the way vampires are supposed to die, with a stake through the heart. The plot is terrible, the actors are even worse and do not even get me started on the fact that the only reason people watch it is because the actors are all attractive. If I were you, I would steer clear of this show and even carry around garlic to ward off it's presence.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
I'd completely disagree with Harlequin, actually. If you like ridiculously plot-heavy stuff, then there's nothing quite like Vampire Diaries, which has the ability to get through about 4 seasons' worth of plot in the space of a quarter of that time. And while some of the cast leave a lot to be desired in the charisma department, I happen to think that Nina Dobrev's (the main character) one of the best actresses working on television. There's obviously a massive amount of suspension of disbelief (but considering your taste for stuff of a Whovian nature, I'm guessing that won't be a problem) and it is quite vampire-y... but unlike True Blood it actually has plotlines that make cogent sense and has characters that you actually have empathy towards.

If you do decide to watch it, I'd start from the beginning of season 2. I'd heard bad things about season 1, so started at #2 and caught up in the space of an episode.

Years
I'd completely disagree with Harlequin, actually. If you like ridiculously plot-heavy stuff, then there's nothing quite like Vampire Diaries, which has the ability to get through about 4 seasons' worth of plot in the space of a quarter of that time. And while some of the cast leave a lot to be desired in the charisma department, I happen to think that Nina Dobrev's (the main character) one of the best actresses working on television. There's obviously a massive amount of suspension of disbelief (but considering your taste for stuff of a Whovian nature, I'm guessing that won't be a problem) and it is quite vampire-y... but unlike True Blood it actually has plotlines that make cogent sense and has characters that you actually have empathy towards.

If you do decide to watch it, I'd start from the beginning of season 2. I'd heard bad things about season 1, so started at #2 and caught up in the space of an episode.
Oh, I like this suggestion. I'll have to do it behind my friend's back because she would throttle me if I watched something out of order, but if it gets me to a place where the show is actually good then I don't think I'll need to bother with any of the bad stuff.

I just hope it is good. I really like vampire stories, but most of the popular ones have been bad. And, like, bad in a way that isn't enjoyable.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
I've been looking at loads of year-in-review lists over the past couple of days, and it's always the music ones that seem to inspire me the most. I've seen (or will see in the near future) nearly everything on the film/TV lists, but the music ones are a real eye-opener to new stuff. More specifically, I never really take an effort to find new music throughout the year, so things like this are really good for me.

This year, I think the best discovery I've found so far has been tUnE-yArDs, whose 2011 album w h o k i l l a is all sorts of brilliant. Here's the lead track off of it. If you like it, I encourage you to check out the rest of the album; if you don't... well, you probs won't like it!

Years
It's unfortunate that the music video you posted starts out with children. I feel like I could have given it a better chance if I didn't want to stop it after 10 seconds.

So anyone looking to see Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows should enjoy it if they enjoyed the first one. It's one of those movies where everything fits together and nothing seems wasted. And speaking of the great detective, the miniseries Sherlock (which is great and everyone should see it) is going to have new episodes very soon and I'm super excited for that. It'll be fun to have them so close together so I can compare.

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 13, 2016
Scarf, if your thinking of watching/reading The Vampire Diaries, you should totally check out "The Secret Circle" first, it's only 10 ten episodes in, which is great since it'll be easy to catch up with time, but basically it's about a group a witches. It's based on the books that were written by the same author of the Vampire Diaries, but yeah - it's seriously good stuff, it's gets really dark soon too, so even if you start and think of giving up on it, at least try and watch up to at least episode 4/5.

Harlequin, if you haven't already listened to this, you should check it out, I think you'd like it;

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 14, 2024

Harlequin, if you haven't already listened to this, you should check it out, I think you'd like it;

Oh my god, I've seen her all over Tumblr the last few days and I didn't think to try her out because I thought she was just a fad, y'know? But damn, now that I've given her a try I am very impressed with this Lana Del Ray.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
Everyone needs to go see Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol (and to forgive the crappy punctuation in the title) like, nownownow. If you can see it in IMAX, it's even better. Just go see it. The Dubai stuff alone would make one hell of a film, but it's bookended by some amazing schizz in Moscow and Mumbai, and features a lot of Tom Cruise running, which is always good.

Years
I have a hard time believing any movie with Tom Cruise in it can be good. Call me prejudiced, but how many of these movies can they keep making?

Saitou

Years
  • Seen Aug 18, 2014
True, to an extent but I wouldn't debase the movies Tom Cruise starred in, just some of the formulaic, generically approached ones such as Knight and Day; has anyone watched A Few Good Men or Magnolia? Those are masterpieces.

Lately, I've taken a certain drift from my usual dose of movies. I began watching relatively old movies such as Se7en, Snatch, The Shawshank Redemption, and 12 Angry Men, all of which I recommend.

Gulpin

poisonous
Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2017
Can anyone recommend some good dystopian-themed books? I just read The Handmaid's Tale and am going through The Hunger Games (which I already read, but forgot all the plot of). I've read 1984 and know of the some of the bigger name ones like Fahrenheit 451, but I'm hoping there's some gem of a book someone knows about that I've never heard of.

Dystopian books are my favorite genre. I'm always looking for a new one to read, so maybe we can swap titles. Currently I'm reading 1984, and it is one of the best books that I have read in a while. Anyways, here are some of the ones I've read. None of them were bad, but I wouldn't go as far as to call them gems, if you know what I mean.

I'm pretty sure that The Maze Runner series of books by James Dashner is dystopian themed, but I never read past the first book. I really enjoyed the first one (titled The Maze Runner), but it wasn't dystopian. I assume the second and third ones are dystopian because of the first one ended though. I never finished the series because I really disliked the way that the first book ended; it would have been way better as a stand-alone book.

Some of the best dystopian books that I have read are The Giver, Gathering Blue, and The Messenger, all written by Lois Lowry. They aren't a series, but they are sister books. They were amazing, and if you haven't read them I strongly suggest that you do.

Another amazing set of books, by Susan Beth Pfeffer are Life As We Knew It, The Dead and the Gone, and This World We Live In. They aren't one-hundred percent dystopian, but they have many of the themes in most dystopian books.

A book that I read recently is Divergent by Veronica Roth is also pretty good, though not as good as the books by Lowry and Pfeffer. There is also Unwind by Neil Shusterman which is amazingly written that I really enjoyed.

There are also some dystopian books that I have but haven't had time to read yet:
Feed by M.T. Anderson, the Uglies series by Scott Westerfeld, and The Eleventh Plague by Jeff Hirsch.
I hope that I mentioned something that you haven't read yet, and if you have any good dystopian books please suggest them for me!

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 14, 2024
, I've taken a certain drift from my usual dose of movies. I began watching relatively old movies such as Se7en, Snatch, The Shawshank Redemption, and 12 Angry Men, all of which I recommend.

hi i love you

Jumping on the Tom Cruise bandwagon, I enjoy him. His acting is... sub-par mostly, but I agree with Saitou's statement that Magnolia is a masterpiece. Most of Tom Cruise's movies should be taken with a grain of salt and not to be taken too seriously (Top Gun being the prime example, that movie was a barely disguised recruitment film for the air force) in order to really enjoy it. Chances are, if the movie has Tom Cruise, it's either going to be really average or utterly amazing.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
Knight and Day was all kinds of horrible. M:I-GP is leagues ahead of it. While you still need to suspend your disbelief with the Mission: Impossible series, the newest one has some of the most amazing stunts I've ever seen captured on film. And it's in IMAX which makes it even more awesome!

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 5, 2017
Tom Cruise doesn't act as a character, he acts as Tom Cruise. But he's still quite good at being Tom Cruise. Rain Main, Jerry Maguire, Collateral, The Last Samurai, Eyes Wide Shut, Vanilla Sky, Minority Report (although many disagree with those last two) are all good films he's been in. Some roles just work well with Cruise in them.

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 14, 2024
God, that reminds me, I still need to watch Jerry Maguire in full. Cuba Gooding Jr just bored me to death idk

Saitou

Years
  • Seen Aug 18, 2014
..Collateral, The Last Samurai..

Ah, Collateral showed me a completely new, no, dark side of Tom Cruise; a ruthless, indifferent hit-man which he portrayed in excellence. The Last Samurai was surprisingly good. I never expected Tom Cruise to land such a role and I definitely didn't think he could pull off such a film, but I obviously was mistaken, surprised but wrong.

To derail from the topic of Tom Cruise, there was a rather unpopular movie that I recently watched that despite the negative impressions, reviews on it, I found quite entertaining and exciting; the title is The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. I personally find it underrated.

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 14, 2024
I'm not that fond of The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. I enjoyed it, but mainly because of Sean Connery's voice. Omg that voice could could sooth me into his underwear if he wanted me to go there. In all seriousness though, I feel that they could have done so much more with the plot that they had.

Saitou

Years
  • Seen Aug 18, 2014
I also wouldn't rate that high but I just felt it had been exaggeratedly debased by many yet it deserved a little more positive recognition. Yeah, lol, Sean Connery was one of the reasons I did like the movie.

On another note, I only heard of Sean Connery around 5 years ago, when my friend wanted me to watch Goldfinger and The Rock. After episodes of infatuation with him, I went on and watched several of his movies. The Untouchables today is one of my favorite movies. In fact, I've just stumbled upon a movie I bought with Connery starring in it, which is titled The Name of the Rose. Anyone watched it?

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
There are some people that everybody seems to be infatuated with and I just can't see the draw. Sean Connery is one of them - most women start to gyrate at the mere mention of his name, but I've seen his old stuff and I just don't understand it. I actually find him and his voice kind of annoying. He's not really that attractive lol.

Same deal with Ryan Gosling. There was an uproar when he didn't win the Sexiest Man Alive award this year, but if you look at him... he's kinda funny-looking. I don't see how he's that hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back