• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Simple Q&A Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Jul 17, 2012
I see some problems with this. The point of getting one's team rated is to see how it may improve from past experience. If you haven't even acquired all the Pokemon, then you shouldn't be posting. Secondly, what tier is this? It looks like UU or RU by the Pokemon you're using. Are you new to this? I am too, but at least I know how to do it properly.

Years
  • Seen Jun 2, 2012
EV training newbie here

Hey, guys and girls.
As some of you know, I'm just starting to get involved in IV breeding and Ev training, prepping for online battles in the near future.

My first question is: I already have a team(for getting through the game) around level 60; how do I see/calculate/find out what EV's they already have? Will I have to start over and just keep track?

My second question is this: How do you find out/learn which wild pokemon provide what EV boosts?

Last edited:
Years
Hey, well I'm on the same(or similar) situation that you are. The best way to calculate them is manually, but I know there are some IV checkers and stuff like that. On the EV yield, I found on some pages , you should try searching for "ev yield per pokemon" and maybe you'll find something that helps you out.

Tarje

BarkleyBlueBark
Years
my soon to be team help

Emboar
Honchkrow
Galvantulla/lanturn
Executor/torterra
I need help ev training and adding to my team

Years
  • Age 27
  • N/A
  • Seen Mar 23, 2013
Ermmmm... You're missing alot here. Everything from moves to EV spreads. xD

At any rate, I recommend you get rid of Emboar for just about anything, really... Conkeldurr would probably be a much better fit. Definitely go for Galvantula over Lanturn, and Torterra over Exeggutor. As much as I love the egg-tree, he's not exactly all that good at doing his job. lol

Now to fill the team to capacity, you could run an Alakazam with a Choice Specs set if you want and possibly a Claydol for walling.

(I'll leave movesets and spreads to somebody else, because I don't have time to post any right now)

Tarje

BarkleyBlueBark
Years
I've just been training a bigger variety but not ev training. What about swanna wit dive/fly/ leftovers what do u think of that I lovee swanna for some reason emboars never really let me down and I been really considering a porygon just not sure which one.

Galvantulla wit compound eyes for speed and special attack right
I was thinking of using a bastiodon too great defense and it can learn almost anything I'm actually new on ev training playing hack games on my phone are the ev stats the same here

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Feb 27, 2016
Scizor Baton Pass + Moxie Krookodile

Do you think this would be a good strategy? A Jolly Krookodile with EV's in Attack and Speed to get a boost from a Baton Pass with Swords Dance. Im thinking Scizor due to the solid D and only weakness being fire.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
BP Scizor doesn't exist anymore and Krookodile is too slow/frail to take advantage of whatever is switching in on Scizor. Moxie Salamence would be a better target in general as it resists Fire and can smash Skarmory with Fire Blast or the like

Regardless I don't think I would try for something so specific like that. Scizor really shouldn't be trying to BP things, probably because you would rather be using them yourself or else you get Whirlwinded away by stuff like Skarmory

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen today
Mew and Gorebyss are essentially the best passers in the game. So id use one of those tbh.

Plus Scrafty outclasses Krookodile as a receiver as its alot bulkier and isnt as easy to pick off with priority, that and it still gets moxie.

Evoslingerr

III Generation Enthusiast
Years
Is EV training preferable at Lv. 50 fights?

Basically what's listed up. I understood that EV's only take their true full potential when battling at the highest levels. I could be wrong, could somebody tell me?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
EV training is fine at any level but you won't see the full effects of the training until level 100. However, you can tell if it's done properly much earlier if you keep track of the EVs and talk to one of the people in-game about whether a stat is maxed or not.

Years
  • Seen Dec 1, 2014
Final pokemon/ an EV training question

this is about the 3rd time ive actually tried EV training, i messed up on some of my team along the line and there EV's got to spread out, im using HG/SS. so do i now basically just use E.V berries to take away the EV's in the stats i dont want and start over on the stats i want trained?

(i did it correctly with my alakazam and he came out amazingly, he stomps over anyone who hasnt the slightest clue what their getting into when i tell them im a "competitive" player)

And as for a final member to my team im not to sure what i want. so suggestions? i was thinking snorlax

i am running

Alakazam
Infernape
Kingdra
Salamance (shiny :])
Umbreon
?

the snorlax i have has great IV's and has a lowered speed increased attack nature. and if you agree with the snorlax EV distribution suggestions? i was thinking defence, hp, and the rest in atk.
Answers on EV training and suggestions please!

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
this is about the 3rd time ive actually tried EV training, i messed up on some of my team along the line and there EV's got to spread out, im using HG/SS. so do i now basically just use E.V berries to take away the EV's in the stats i dont want and start over on the stats i want trained?

(i did it correctly with my alakazam and he came out amazingly, he stomps over anyone who hasnt the slightest clue what their getting into when i tell them im a "competitive" player)

And as for a final member to my team im not to sure what i want. so suggestions? i was thinking snorlax

i am running

Alakazam
Infernape
Kingdra
Salamance (shiny :])
Umbreon
?

the snorlax i have has great IV's and has a lowered speed increased attack nature. and if you agree with the snorlax EV distribution suggestions? i was thinking defence, hp, and the rest in atk.
Answers on EV training and suggestions please!

Your Snorlax has a Brave nature, correct? A -Speed natured Pokemon is better suited for Trick Room teams, but Snorlax is very slow anyway, so I'll let that slide. The ideal spread for an offensive Snorlax would be 80 HP/252 Atk/176 SDef or 40 HP/252 Atk/40 Def/176 SDef for maximum power and good bulk. And here's a set that takes advantage of that spread:
-Return/Body Slam
-Earthquake/Crunch
-Fire Punch/Crunch
-Pursuit
Nature: Brave
EVs: 80 HP/252 Atk/176 SDef or 40 HP/252 Atk/40 Def/176 SDef
Item: Leftovers/Life Orb/Choice Band
Ability: Thick Fat

Years
  • Seen May 27, 2012
Hey guys so this is my first time making a competitive battling team so if you guys could give me your suggestions thatd be greatly appreciated! I havent written down my EV's yet or my natures because im not sure this is the team im gonna use... Please comment!!!
Blissey:
Serene grace
-aromatherapy/heal bell
-softboiled
-flamethrower
-thunderbolt

Gengar:
Levitate
-haze
-pain split/explosion
-flamethrower
-dark pulse

Scyther:
Swarm
-baton pass
-double team
-sword's dance
-bug buzz

Dragonite:
Inner focus
-draco meteor
-ice beam
-flamethrower
-thunderbolt

Heracross:
Guts choice scarf
-close combat
-megahorn
-stone edge
-toxic/night slash/sleep talk

Togetic:
Serene grace
-double team
-extrasensory
-flamethrower
-water pulse

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
Years
  • Seen Apr 27, 2020
Well, iirc you have to include the EV's, items, natures, and so on, or people won't be able to help you (also they're not gonna figure out all that by themselves) But yeah idk I think so ;((

Years
  • Seen May 27, 2012
haha well looks like thats what im working on right now i guess haha thanks for the quick reply though :D

okay here guys i think ive decided on my EV's and stuff but if you have any suggestions that would be greatly appreciated

Blissey:
Serene grace
-aromatherapy/heal bell
-softboiled
-flamethrower
-thunderbolt
EV's 252 Defense/252 Attack/4 HP
Scope Lens
Lax

Gengar:
Levitate
-haze
-pain split/explosion
-flamethrower
-dark pulse
EV's 152 Speed/200 Attack/58 Defense/100 Special Attack
Razor Fang
Naughty

Scyther:
Swarm
-baton pass
-double team
-sword's dance
-bug buzz
Ev's 252 Special Defense/158 Speed/100 Defense
Item?
Calm

Dragonite:
Inner focus
-draco meteor
-ice beam
-flamethrower
-thunderbolt
EV's 252 Speed/252 Special Attack/4 Defense
Quick Claw
Rash

Heracross:
Guts choice scarf
-close combat
-megahorn
-stone edge
-toxic/night slash
EV's 252 Attack/252 Speed/4 HP
Razor Claw
Adamant

Togetic:
Serene grace
-double team
-extrasensory
-flamethrower
-water pulse
EV's 252 Speed/252 Special Attack/4 Attack
King's Rock
Jolly

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Apr 13, 2015
haha well looks like thats what im working on right now i guess haha thanks for the quick reply though :D

okay here guys i think ive decided on my EV's and stuff but if you have any suggestions that would be greatly appreciated

Blissey:
Serene grace
-aromatherapy/heal bell
-softboiled
-flamethrower
-thunderbolt
EV's 252 Defense/252 Attack/4 HP
Scope Lens
Lax

Blissey wants bold nature with leftovers (because of her huge HP, the recovery will be huge comparatively). Also, you're wasting EVs in attack since she doesn't have any physical moves. I'd reallocate those attack EVs to HP, and give blissey seismic toss instead of t-bolt and flamethrower so her offensive stats don't matter. I'd also recommend a status move, I.e. either toxic or t-wave.

Gengar:
Levitate
-haze
-pain split/explosion
-flamethrower
-dark pulse
EV's 152 Speed/200 Attack/58 Defense/100 Special Attack
Razor Fang
Naughty

Explosion's been nerfed in gen V (no longer halves opponents defense) so it's not really useful. Haze is different and could be useful, but Gengar is probably too frail to be able to use it. Next, Gengar can't actually learn flamethrower; he has to settle for Hidden Power fire. Dark Pulse should be shadow ball, since it's stab'd and hits basically the same types except trades NVE to fighting for being ineffective against normals, which you can hit with the second attack you choose (HP Fire or something like Thunderbolt or focus blast).

Scyther:
Swarm
-baton pass
-double team
-sword's dance
-bug buzz
Ev's 252 Special Defense/158 Speed/100 Defense
Item?
Calm

Sadly Scyther isn't the greatest in OU play thanks to taking major damage from stealth rock and being generally frail. If you want him, though, you'll need some major improvements. First, double team (and other evasion-boosting moves) are generally banned from standard play. Next, you'll want to switch to a physical attacking move (e.g. bug bite), because Scyther's attack is much higher than his Special Attack (bug buzz is a special move). Last, Scyther is too frail for a defensive set. He wants to hit hard and hit fast, so I'd max out his attack and speed and give him either adamant or jolly nature.

Dragonite:
Inner focus
-draco meteor
-ice beam
-flamethrower
-thunderbolt
EV's 252 Speed/252 Special Attack/4 Defense
Quick Claw
Rash

Dragonite doesn't need Quick Claw. Better to give it Life Orb for that extra sting from its attacks. As for its nature...generally you want to stay away from natures that drop defense or special defense, unless you're running a mixed (physical and special) set, which this set isn't. Since you don't have any physical attacks, if you want to increase special attack, go for a modest nature, which increases Special Attack at the expense of physical attack. Anyway, I really don't know what to say about this set. It's fully special, something that doesn't often happen because Dragonite is a great stall breaker when it's mixed. But, if this works for you, go for it.

Heracross:
Guts choice scarf
-close combat
-megahorn
-stone edge
-toxic/night slash
EV's 252 Attack/252 Speed/4 HP
Razor Claw
Adamant

This looks fine. I'd go night slash over toxic since you'll be locked into the move, giving hte opponent a chance to set up, sweep a bit, then switch out before the toxic kills him (resetting the toxic counter). One thing--why do you say "guts choice scarf" above and then Razor Claw below? I'd definitely go choice scarf (razor claw is really only useful on pokemon with super luck, e.g. absol).

Togetic:
Serene grace
-double team
-extrasensory
-flamethrower
-water pulse
EV's 252 Speed/252 Special Attack/4 Attack
King's Rock
Jolly

If you're going to go togetic, you need to give her eviolite, not king's rock. Also, she's really not much of an attacking pokemon; to sweep, go togekiss, who gets the powerful air slash granting her a 60% flinch chance. (also, once again, you can't use double team in most standard metagames). If you go togekiss, I'd suggest leftovers to abuse the free turns after flinches for recovery.

My comments are in bold. The team's not bad, but could use a bit of work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back