• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Developing] Pokemon Eternity - Real time battles, Online, Back again! (Alpha Available)

Spira

Programmer for Pokemon Eternity
Years
  • Seen Mar 4, 2023
Latest Video 8/20:
Latest Update: Hey guys just an update, but we do have alpha available! Keep in mind it's just a preview and there are some bugs around. But it's definitely playable.

To get started check out our site, register an account to make one, and then download our client here.

-------
So if you were here years ago, you may remember the Pokemon Eternity project that was being developed by myself and another. However, unfortunately, we had to stop due to various circumstances with real life catching up to us. The other developer stopped to continue other projects and I wasn't capable of handling it by myself so I put the project on ice. However, fast forward to now and I've learned quite a bit and now I have time to move forward with the project once again. I didn't want to revive this unless I was sure I was going to do something with it, so after a few months of fixing bugs, adding features, cleaning things up, I've decided to make revive the project.

So what is Pokemon Eternity? Pokemon Eternity is a project born with the simple idea: what if the game was more like the manga/anime? Well then everything becomes different: capturing, player interactions, the world, and battle! A world like this would need to be online to take the full effect of trading and battle. It is developed using Python and OpenGL. The story will be set in a completely new world, no more just kids becoming a Pokemon Master. Anyone can set out on their own journey!

So how does this differ from normal games?
- Real time battles, this means everything takes place in the overworld.
- You can have up to 6 Pokemon following you at one time. Of course, this may make things clunky for battle, but it's great to show off your team!
- Maps are much bigger, everything is scaled up larger to give that world a bigger feel.
- Always online (MMO), everyone can see each other and communicate.
- 8 direction movement. You have much more freedom in movement.
- Capturing requires you to actually aim to capture a Pokemon.
- Pokemon has 6 skills and a 'saved' skill list where your unlearned moves go.*
- No more PP, all Pokemon have energy and skills will consume energy. This energy refills constantly. Unless of course affected by items or status effects.*
- Much more!

* Subject to change.

Here is the Youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/eternitymmorpg/videos

New Website! Includes forums, blog, and chat. http://pe.petme.jp/

*NEW* Discord Chat: Discord

Sooo.... how is the progress?:
Fairly far, all of the basic systems are in place (see the above video). What I mean by that is, things like trade, capturing, battle, are all setup, however they need testing to make sure it all operates without exploits or crashes. Since then there is now rudimentary AI, spawning Pokemon, and a few skills to test. I would say the game is currently in its alpha state, with beta a few months away. I am also starting to hash out the battle system and would like the input on design directions, but need to decide how to pace it and such. This is where everyone else comes in.

So who is currently in this project:
Myself: I am the main programmer and developer at the moment, I was originally handling all of the server, UI, and bug fixing. However, I have been handling a lot of the client side lately and have been take care of most of it.

Damaris: Music creator. Creating some really amazing music, I will add a few examples here very soon.

Sven: Play tester, helping me figure out bugs and giving me ideas on gameplay and other things.

There are a few others who are willing to step up and help including a spriter and mapper depending on how progress goes on the game.

What I'm currently looking for:
Mapper: I am really looking for someone to help shape the world by making maps. Someone who has a vision on how the world will look and layout. We have a lot of custom tiles, our own map editor, and tons of resources. One thing is this game will be big, so the maps can be as big as you like!

More programmers and developers: If you have experience with any programming language, python, or OpenGL, we could definitely use your help.

Spriter: I actually already have quite a few resources to work with made from scratch and we also use a lot of PMD resources. However, that being said it would be cool to have our own Trainer sprites among other things, such as effects and objects.

Player Testers: Right now I only have a few to help, in different areas of the world, but would prefer more. Requirements are pretty easy. First and foremost I need someone with a decent grasp of the English language, communication is key. Someone who knows how to replace files, report and reproduce bugs, how and when they were able to reproduce a crash or weird behavior. Sort of looking for a lot of different hardware configurations to see how it plays on different configurations. Someone with patience, yes the game won't work perfectly until it's been through the wringer, that's why you are here. If you think you are that person, send me a message with relevant information.

Story and Quest Creator: Will be responsible for dialog on the NPC's. Quest journal information, rewards and requirements for quests. Whether it's story related or just quests from different townspeople.

And really anyone who has ideas regarding skills combat or anything else is welcome to post.

Feel free to post, or PM me here or on one of my listed messengers with any ideas, suggestions, or questions.

Last edited:

amkgames

Game Designer
Years
OMG! I was always waiting for this day! :)
Edit: This is my first post! :P

Last edited:

Mellan

Pokémon Chion Developer
Years
Oh my god, I have followed this game for some time but, unfortunately, I've never been able to play it. I'm so happy that you decided to bring this project back to life!
Good work!

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Dec 20, 2015
Nice , best geme ever , dont stop plz , its very cool !!!

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
I don't know about the game, but I know what this thread is: dead. As in, don't post in dead threads.

Spira

Years
  • Seen Mar 4, 2023
Thanks for the help! I've updated the thread with some new updates, more videos, and more information.

Spira

Years
  • Seen Mar 4, 2023
Just a quick update we now have a new forum and I have moved my blog to it and for game discussion or information you can find it there.

We also have a discord chat available:Discord

We also picked up two more developers to the team, Ankith who will be taking up the map editor and client and Tomori, who will be helping with programming as well.

Here is a screenshot preview I posted in the map thread on one of the many maps we will be adding: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=9263875&postcount=1253

Last edited:

Spira

Years
  • Seen Mar 4, 2023
Hey guys just an update, but we do have alpha available! Keep in mind it's just a preview and there are some bugs around. But it's definitely playable.

To get started check out our site, register an account to make one, and then download our client here.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Dec 14, 2016
Wow.... this is kind of funny for me, some days ago i posted my opinion on how i would like a monster raising game (and it has MANY similarities to your game). This is the best approach to the pokemon genre i have seen.

Check the post it might help u in some way -> http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=372479&page=2 (my posts are basically the last ones in that topic).

Something i noticed about your project that kind of buged me is the pokemons' size. Raichu seemed too big in general, especially considering the size of Blastoise which seemed too small compare to him.
Dont get me wrong, as i said this is the best pokemon approach i have seen so far. I just wonder what could be done to "fix" the size issue cause sizes do matter.
Do u think allowing them inside buildings is a good idea?
OR
You can add another feature, for example, based on the cave/building etc (indoor area) some pokemons will be summonable and some not due to their size. This basically means that you will be forced to create big indoor areas so that u dont restrict ppl from using the pokemon they like. And you can also take advantage of this feature to add secret areas and stuff like that.
You can expand it even more. For example, make it so that some flying (bird types) pokemons dont function well in caves (exceptions would be bats :) ).

I suggest you add all kinds of passives for the pokemons/creatures. For example for the flying type above you can mention in Passive skill list that this particular pokemon does less dmg when in small indoor areas or has 20% more chance to miss etc.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Oct 2, 2016
I dont have a firewall or virus detection on my comp but it says cant play this cuz my comp would be at risk... ?

First time it has happened on a Fan Game

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Dec 14, 2016
Question
Are elements implemented? Im not fun of elements so i dont really care :)

Fix
Leech Seed says 0 CD but it actually has.

Back