• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Video Games DCC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
Platformers this gen were the Mario Galaxy games, Cave Story, and Mutant Mudds? That's all I can say if we're going strictly by popularity, and even then its a poor performance outside of Nintendo.

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
Galaxy + Mario 3D land alone are huge, but let's not forget about the huge revival of 2D Mario with the four New Super Mario games. Donkey Kong Country Returns was also a big one and is widely regarded as one of the best 2D platformers. There are also Wario Land: Shake It!, Super Paper Mario and Yoshi's Island DS, which were pretty decent, same for Super Princess Peach and DK: Jungle Climber.

Outside of Nintendo, we got Super Meat Boy which is very highly praised. Rayman Origins and Legends are also often seen as instant classics. LBP is a huge one, too, given its popularity. Sonic this generation went to the right direction with some solid games (Rush, Colors and Generation). Weren't Megaman 9 and 10 also from this gen? I've heard they're pretty amazing.

When it comes to 2D platformers this gen exploded with some very high quality titles. It's only 3D left in the dust (at least there's Epic Mickey, right?), but I'm sure Galaxy alone satisfied needs. Though, let's not forget the next 3D Mario is due this year or the next one, if you want to count Wii U as this gen.

Last edited:
Years
Galaxy was amazing; but then again, so were all the other Mario games. Mariokart is huge, I remember it was massive on the Wii and the DS a couple years back and now greatness is thrown back into our lives with MK7!

Sonic I also enjoyed as a platform game, different to the other games back when it was made. And yeah Spino, I think the Megaman's were from this gen.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
Super Paper Mario and Super Princess Peach in all honesty were mediocre efforts at best. Fun, but a bit dull after a while. Sonic on the other hand was indeed great this gen, Colors and Generations hit a certain high point, and the rush games were pretty fun. So I guess you could say platformers shined this gen, but something was still missing. That something hopefully is whatever started these last years and is continued through the next gen now that more developers are on terra firma when it comes to making games.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
Super Paper Mario and Super Princess Peach in all honesty were mediocre efforts at best. Fun, but a bit dull after a while. Sonic on the other hand was indeed great this gen, Colors and Generations hit a certain high point, and the rush games were pretty fun. So I guess you could say platformers shined this gen, but something was still missing. That something hopefully is whatever started these last years and is continued through the next gen now that more developers are on terra firma when it comes to making games.
Sonic was okay, I'd say. I mean, yeah, it had Generations and Colors, but this generation also had the motherload of bad Sonic games, most notably '06. Well, I wouldn't say "okay", but it's been one heck of a roller coaster with the seventh generation.

Also, I noticed that you listed Mutant Mudds as last generation (the 7th gen: 360, DS, Wii, PS3, and PSP), but it's an eighth generation title. Same with Super Mario 3D.

Years
Sonic being okay? I must disagree with you there. The "bad" games weren't all that bad, they were still fun. Generations and Colors really worked, great games.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
Sonic being okay? I must disagree with you there. The "bad" games weren't all that bad, they were still fun. Generations and Colors really worked, great games.
I think "bad" games being not all that bad would qualify as being "okay"; after all, every game is susceptible to being just "okay", no matter how prominent they are.

...But I'd definitely say that '06 was bad.

Years
I think "bad" games being not all that bad would qualify as being "okay"; after all, every game is susceptible to being just "okay", no matter how prominent they are.

...But I'd definitely say that '06 was bad.
But then added with with the other Sonic games in the generation it still adds up to a great set of games. Nonetheless, I was just stating that the games you mentioned in Sonic "bad" were actually not bad...but I wouldn't rank them with other games that are susceptible to be "okay". They are better than that. After all, we all have our own opinion on games, and this is mine.

I haven't actually seen this question proposed or answered much; but who is your favorite Sonic character? I'd have to go with Knuckles. He is just amazing, and came in very handy running the 400m in M&S @ The Olympic Games.

EJ

everything is purple
Years
  • Age 31
  • FL
  • Seen Mar 19, 2022
The problem here lies in fun =/= good. You can pretty much enjoy any game given the right mindset. Sonic '06 is a terrible game full of glitches, bad physics, and unfair sequences. The subsequent games weren't all that good either...the only exceptions being Colors and Generations, so yea I'd agree Sonic was simply okay this generation.

I'm a huge Sonic fan~

Years
It's fair to agree and I see your point. It's just even though given the bad reviews, I still really enjoyed these games and didn't mind any of the flaws they had; although agreeably '06 had quite a few.

EJ

everything is purple
Years
  • Age 31
  • FL
  • Seen Mar 19, 2022
To be honest, I had fun with Sonic '06 but objectively speaking the game was crap and it was broken as hell. It's all good though; I still got Sonic Adventure 1 & 2 on standby if I want a wee-bit of nostalgia.

Years
I always find it nice to go back to the old, classic games of Mario/Sonic. Really makes me feel like a 6-year-old, since those are the sort of games I played back then. 'Twas a good year in my life. :3

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
The problem here lies in fun =/= good. You can pretty much enjoy any game given the right mindset.
I was just about to say this! Still, there's nothing wrong with liking or having fun with bad games. Heck, since I became interested in reviewing, I've played quite a few bad games and not all of them were torture. I had some fun with Cheetahmen, as well as Operation Darkness, to name a few.

Speaking of that, if you guys find Operation Darkness for a cheap price, you should give it a try. It makes quite a few missteps but still provides some fun, especially to those who are Strategy fans.

Last edited:

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
Its that WW2 RPG from Atlus right? Never had a go at it, but it looks fun. Another b-rate game that is absolutely amazing is Disaster: Day of Crisis. Its almost so b-rate that its likely intentional, and I love how the game progresses.

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
Sonic 2006 is the only game I completed that I can safely say was pure dog feces. OK, maybe not completed, but I did beat the final level because my brother hilariously gave up and it was awful. I do not want to touch that game ever again.

It's not even just the gameplay that's bad. (It's comparable to Sonic Adventure which was not as bad but still pretty bad.) The writing, presentation, story and the new characters were all pretty cringe-worthy. :( Level design and quest design make me want to rip my head off too. The only thing GOOD about the game that I can even think of was it's music, but it was forgettable because the game makes you want to forget about everything related to it.

And curse you, I liked Super Princess Peach! Though I haven't played it for a long time so I want to give it another spin after I play Densetsu no Starfy 3 which is from the same developer. You know one game that is mediocre on the DS though? Wario: Master of Disguise. I think my bias towards Wario really shows off when I say I actually personally like it, but there are way too many flaws about it. So I guess that's one bad game (I'd like to say mediocre, instead, since the concept of the game is really nice) I like. The other guilty pleasures of mine are Mario Sunshine, Super Mario Land and the DS remake of Mario 64. (Looove them. <3 Super Mario Land was my first Mario game!)

I always find it nice to go back to the old, classic games of Mario/Sonic. Really makes me feel like a 6-year-old, since those are the sort of games I played back then. 'Twas a good year in my life. :3
Fun fact, I actually thought those who preferred 2D sonic back then were nostalgia people. Guess what happened when I played Sonic 2 for the first time? Favorite Sonic game. I started Sonic with Sonic Heroes, if you're curious.

Another b-rate game that is absolutely amazing is Disaster: Day of Crisis. Its almost so b-rate that its likely intentional, and I love how the game progresses.
I know nothing about Disaster besides hearing about how good it is but I want it just so I don't regret it later when I move back to an NTSC region. The only other PAL-only (NTSC-J aside) game I have is Another Code R (brilliant), and I guess The Last Window. (but it's region-free so it doesn't count.) I also have some games that never made it to PAL land like Trauma Team, Mario Super Sluggers, MLB 2K12 and Jake Hunter, and probably some more I'm forgetting.

Only Japan-only game I have though is Rhythm Tengoku.

Last edited:

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
I really want Another Code R, never picked it up when it first came out, and now its hard to find it. Was it good enough to be consider a proper sequel to the original?

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
Is it? I found two used copies in my local gamestop and impulse bought one of them for 11€ or so. Looking at Amazon UK, you can get it new for around the same price. (Dammit Gamestop!) Imo the DS game is the rare one. (Cheap but hard to come across.)

I heard it's better than the DS game. I can't judge myself because I only saw my brother play for a bit (really liked what I saw, though), but I don't plan to play it until I finish the DS game which I still need to get around to. Either way for that price, I recommend it, if Hotel Dusk is anything to go by. (Boxart is reason enough to get it anyway.)

Speaking of rare games, once I found Metroid Prime Trilogy used but in good condition in a SMYTHs store for a whooping 20 euros or so. Of course, I was completely unaware of its value during that time and thought I was good. I'm still pulling my hair off for that decision. Also, Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn for 8 euros. The only rare game I have is a boxed Rhythm Tengoku with the stickers lol.

Last edited:
Years
England are really picky about what games to sell, but I'm not surprised considering the amount of games stores that have shut in the last few years. Here, most of the time the stores try to sell all the recent games and the best-sellers. Finding games like Another Code R would be hell. Although, there do seem to be an awfully large amount of DS games for sale, way more than the other console games...

Ninetales1

Japan-flavoured Europhile
Years
Well! Since I'm not from the UK and don't care about Another Code R, I can't comment on the last post, so instead I'll point out an error in a post made on the last page, just because I have nothing better to do.

Yeah forgot fighting which was also top of this gen, I'm not gonna deny it. The GBA comment though...the hell? Drill Dozer, the two Klonoa's, Megaman Zero 1-4, Kirby Return to Dremland and a whole slew of other games which were 100% new are on it. I dunno what GBA you owned, but it killed when it came to 2D platforming goodness. And more action then platformer still makes it a platformer if you're running around, jumping from place to place. There's a reason why action-platformers exists.

Ummm... Kirby's Return to Dreamland was for the Wii, not the GBA. I think you meant Kirby: Nightmare in Dreamland, which is really just a remake of Kirby's Adventure, so it doesn't count as an original platformer. There was an original Kirby platformer on the GBA though: Kirby and the Amazing Mirror. And it was in my opinion one of the best Kirby games ever, as well as a rather unique platformer in that it felt very mazelike despite still having distinct worlds, and had a unique map system and such.

And speaking of Kirby platformers, I might as well mention Kirby's Epic Yarn as a recent one (it's on the Wii), as well as one of the most unique platformers I've ever seen. Especially with its patchwork motif and the fact that Kirby cannot really die in the game. No wonder it's received such good reviews. So yeah, another good recent platformer to add to the list.

Years
Kirby's Epic Yarn is...well it's in the title, isn't it? Epic. Such a fun and creative game, Kirby's best platform game for sure. When you think about the other platformers; Kirby actually has some really good ones. I enjoyed Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards and also Kirby's Return to Dream Land a lot. I hope Kirby gets another amazing platformer, Epic Yarn won't be easy to top but It's possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back