• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Gangs

Outlier

Have you had any experiences dealing with gangs? Whether you just had a one off encounter with them or if they were a lingering presence in your community. I'm interested in hearing your stories.

Luckily I've never had to deal with them in my adult life but throughout high school there was always this threat of people calling their "connections" if you messed with them or if they just felt like harassing you. I know every school has bullies but I think it's more serious when you have to worry about a dozen or more people showing up to your school with baseball bats and sometimes even knives. So not only would you have to put up with the bullying at school, but if you fought back against certain people then you would be at risk of being targeted by youth gangs. It was the stress and the mind games of these threats that messed me up more than any of the actual bullying or beatings that I had to deal with.

Now I'm not claiming that I grew up in the hood or anything. These connections that people claimed to have weren't hardened criminals, they were usually a bunch of losers in their late teens and even early twenties who didn't have jobs or lives of their own. Pathetic wannabe gangsters who hung around people much younger than them because most people their own age were busy being productive members of society. It still bothers me though when I think about what they got away with doing, even if they didn't amount to much in life.

I blame rap music and **** parents.

Joel.Lion

Years
I think that the way gangs started was a decent thing. Ity was just people I'm the community sticking up for one another. Mainly minorities since in those times we didn't get the nicest treatment. However, the modern gang to me is pointless. They took all the class out of organized crime. And they cause a lot of needless loss of innocence, I don't mind them killing each other, they signed up for that... But no need to hurt everyone else. And as far as in schools like you said, I think it's very shameful on someone's part to need a group to fight for them. That's the opposite of thug, and defeats the purpose. In my opinion.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
There was a biker gang's club house down the road from the liquor store where I used to work, and they'd often come in to get their booze. Nicest guys, really. They had the huge beer guts and all the tattoos and rings and they'd most likely come to get their post-murder bourbon, but they were really lovely to talk to.

Years
Most of the gangs here are bikie gangs, and a lot of the time what has happened is simply that motorcycle enthusiasts have joined a club and then been gradually pulled into the more hardcore gang stuff or something similar. So, a lot of them are decent people who have been caught up in some bad stuff.

That being said, out country goes through phases of massive bikie activity where they get up to all kinds of nasty and violent things. So I'm not supportive of them in any way and wish we could just get rid of them already, but I'm not going to immediately hate someone because they're in a bikie gang because I don't know what circumstances bought them there.

I have never had any real contact with bikies, although my friends biological father is one so other than him being on my doorstep a few times, and I don't really want any.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
Nope, I've never been involved in a gang. I also agree with what Andy said, despite their tattoos, piercings and usually bulky size, many of them are very lovey people.

Controversial?

Bored musician, bad programmer
Years
  • Age 27
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 11, 2020
The only 'gang' I ever had to deal with was a bunch of chavs outside Tescos when chavs were still a thing.

Years

I agree with the way the parents raised their children, but rap? Please no..
It's obvious that you don't like Rap music, but I've been into hip hop for a long time.
I mean real hip hop, not garbage Drake or Lil Wayne. I was just like you probably, before I got into it.
Hip Hop seemed generic and fake, but that's because of the image garbage rappers give you.
When I did my research and actually searched for years for rappers on youtube, I found out Rap doesn't
define one exact genre.

The most kids get to see on MTV is garbage and is worse. Most of those artist don't even
write their own songs and their voices get auto-tuned. They're nothing more but products with a lack of talent.
E. g. Justin Bieber and Miley Cyrus are such big influences on teenagers, but the companies rather gain tons of money
instead of using the power to actually educate their fanbase. The songs are meaningless and the lyrics are not creative at all.

I like a lot of genres, but I prefer Rap (Underground, not too commercial), Hard Rock, Altern Rock, Soft Metal (as long as they don't scream) and sometimes House if there's a nice mellody.
Personally, I define good music as songs with some content, value and creativity. I also prefer when I can actually hear the words they're saying.

On gangs

I'm sorry to hear that your area was so unsafe. I've been lucky to grow up in a pretty safe area.

I have never had trouble with any gangs. Although one time I almost got into a fight with some trashy people. I found out later that they were a gang. They we're older than me and started picking on my even younger brother's black friend. I tried to keep my cool but started shouting at them, nothing physical though. Later, the security guard,
who I informed that those people where obviously on drugs, advised me to calm down and step aside.
I was outnumbered and yet they didn't do a thing. So my perception of them was a group of loser junkies instead of a gang.
Doing drugs to fight kids who are 8 years younger than you and occasionally walk around with a baseball bat to look though doesn't make you a gangmember.
The one dude that was on coke, X or whatever, had a broken arm but still wanted to fight my brother's friend.
There are a lot of kinds of gangs. But no, I haven't faced any shady gangs :D

Real gangs like in LA, Southern America and Japan are really dangerous though. I saw a docummentary a couple of days ago about probably the most dangerous gang in the world, Mara Salvatrucha aka MS13. You can look it up on YouTube.

Last edited:

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
I wasn't asking if you had been involved IN a gang. Although if anyone here has been in a gang feel free to share your experiences too. I was asking if you have had any experiences dealing with them. As in confrontations or even pleasant interactions like Shining Raichu mentioned.

By the way when you said that many of them are lovely people were you just talking about bikies or all gang members in general? Either way that's a bold statement to make in my opinion. I'm not saying every gang member is inherently a bad person, but given the nature of what they tend to do I think it's naive to make such a generalization.

I wasn't talking about all bikies or all gang members, I was just talking specifically about the ones that I've encountered.

Also I will laugh forever if anybody on a Pokemon forum has ever been involved in a gang lol

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
Years
@ lovely people discussion, I like to assume that everyone's good, at least on their own. I suppose in things like gangs a minority of people can be highly influential on the rest of them i.e. making good people seem bad while they're in a gang situation.

Regarding gangs with me, I've seen and heard of them around but never been involved in one, nor have I had any real interaction with them beyond kids who think they're hard. Tbh the idea of gangs here is more laughed at than something that people actually think of worrying about; I can't really think of anywhere with a real gang presence that's not just a few people going around causing trouble and nothing more than that. When they start taking themselves too seriously as a "gang", it gets funny and they know that so they don't do it really.

not sure if serious

T The Manager

RealTalkRealFlow
Years
In my area Hispanic gang sets are the biggest issue (Sureno 13's, Insane Dueces, and Latin Kings). But there's also quite a few African American gangs here as well (Gangster Disciples (biggest), Black Stones, Vice Lords, and Four Corner Hustlers). As well as a few White Disciples sets (Caucasian). But even then, gang violence isn't that big of an issue here as long as you stay away from those area's. The area I live in is safe for the most part and very rarely has shootings. But criminal activity is still going on everyday there. The gangs here are all from the city (Chicago) and usually just deal drugs, assault, and robbery. Good thing they leave the violence in the city haha.

As for getting involved with gangs. I myself know a few gangsters but I don't roll with them or anything. My weed dealers an OG (no clue what set but a People nation set) and he's actually a really cool dude believe it or not. His brother is pretty chill too and I think he's still with the same set. As I said, the gangs here aren't an issue. They just run the dope game in the area, but they wont hesitate to commoit homicide because it's happened.

I myself wish gang violence would stop because it's not needed and it shows the person is heartless and sees no value in a humans life (especially in serious city street gangs). Gang violence only exists due to money and greed. The more illegal activity involved, leads to more money they bring in meaning more greed. A majority of the drugs anyone does comes from gangs and lots of weaponry comes from gangs as well. Living in an area with gangs and living near a big city you learn about gangs very quick.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
Years
My old middle school was riddled with gangs. Well, as far as middle school gangs go. It wasn't horrible, but I didn't enjoy getting rocks thrown at me since I was "treading on their turf" on my way to PE. There were daily fights and kids cussed each other out in the hallway, but as long as it didn't happen to me, I didn't care what happened to them. The biggest problem was the school and why they didn't do anything about it.

Puddle

Mission Complete✔
Years
The only gangs I've ever dealt with is FireRed Biker Gangs.

No, really. I know of gangs around here, but I've never actually had any encounters with them.

T The Manager

RealTalkRealFlow
Years
My old middle school was riddled with gangs. Well, as far as middle school gangs go. It wasn't horrible, but I didn't enjoy getting rocks thrown at me since I was "treading on their turf" on my way to PE. There were daily fights and kids cussed each other out in the hallway, but as long as it didn't happen to me, I didn't care what happened to them. The biggest problem was the school and why they didn't do anything about it.

That's basically how Aurora schools are except they got metal detectors lol.

@Introvert... Listen to gangsta rap made me do it by Ice Cube. Gangsta rap is not the reason for gang violence, it's not even a partial reason. So let's say I sell then front someone some cocaine and then later kill him cause he doesn't have the cash, then rap music made me do it? I don't think so, that's gotta be the dumbest thing I've ever heard. I sorta blame the parents but what can the parents really do when the blocks filled with cut throats? If all they see is gang affiliation, then they will most likely get involved with gang related activity. Why you think 10 year olds are hustlin crack on the corner and why 12 year olds are commiting murders?

Now outside of the hood, it's mostly the parents, but the people a young person runs around with that's gang affiliated will manipulated them to join their set. The thug life isn't just something a parent has control over.

Puddle

Mission Complete✔
Years
That's basically how Aurora schools are except they got metal detectors lol.

@Introvert... Listen to gangsta rap made me do it by Ice Cube. Gangsta rap is not the reason for gang violence, it's not even a partial reason. So let's say I sell then front someone some cocaine and then later kill him cause he doesn't have the cash, then rap music made me do it? I don't think so, that's gotta be the dumbest thing I've ever heard. I sorta blame the parents but what can the parents really do when the blocks filled with cut throats? If all they see is gang affiliation, then they will most likely get involved with gang related activity. Why you think 10 year olds are hustlin crack on the corner and why 12 year olds are commiting murders?

Now outside of the hood, it's mostly the parents, but the people a young person runs around with that's gang affiliated will manipulated them to join their set. The thug life isn't just something a parent has control over.

I agree with everything you say. It's based off the home problems and the environment you grow up in as a kid.

However, I find it absolutely hilarious that you are talking about this topic while your name is a type of Marijuana on a Pokemon forum.

T The Manager

RealTalkRealFlow
Years
And yes up until you reach a certain age I do think parents should be held responsible as well. So many parents either don't know what their kids are getting up to or simply don't care enough to do anything about it. A lot of these youth gangs could be prevented if more parents were keeping tabs on their kids and putting their foot down. And when I say keeping tabs I don't mean monitoring their every move but just having a general idea of what is going on in their life. And I think that should apply whether you're living in the hood or in some middle class suburban area.

You do realize the ghetto is filled with nothing but gangs, drug addicts, and homeless people right? I'm not talking marijuana I'm talking crack heads and what not. So a majority of the kids in the ghetto have drug addicted parents and lots only live with 1 parent if any so do you think the parents are in the position to stop their child from getting involved with gang activity if they can't even take care of themselves? Yes, some parents discipline their children (even in the ghetto) but that is very very rare, I'd say somewhere around a 1/16 ratio (if that. and it depends on the area). Living outside of the ghetto, the parents have more control because their not in a dangerous environment. In the ghetto, you make one bad decision your ass is off to the morgue and part of the obituary.

If I may ask, what county are you from cause it seems you are not from America nor familiar with gang related activity in America.

T The Manager

RealTalkRealFlow
Years
Like I said whether you're living in the ghetto or if you come from some privileged suburban neighborhood this **** is unacceptable. If you're unfit to raise your kids due to addiction, lack of wealth, education or whatever then you shouldn't be having children in the first place!

You really don't understand the streets do you? More babies are born or should I say, the parents in the ghetto have more kids than the typical parents no matter the race in another area because they pop out babies every year so they can get more money on a welfare check. Sorry, but it's the facts. But I agree, they shouldn't be raising children or even think of having children if their not suitable but they still do.

When do the excuses stop and when will people start taking responsibility? I understand that you're more likely to be exposed to people dealing drugs, gangs and a life of crime if you live in a rougher area. However your disposition is no excuse for any of these kinds of things.

Let me ask this... How gullible are children? How easy is it to brainwash a child? They are very gullible and extremely easy to brainwash meaning if they grow up in the hood they're most likely to get involved. Gangs manipulate children to thinking the thug life is all that and they get all this and all that without giving them the truth. Next thing you know, the child is forced through an initiation through mind manipulation and he's strapped with a pistol selling dope. Gangsters feed off the psychological mind and they target children and young teenagers because it's that easy.

I said in my original post that I don't live in the hood but that doesn't mean that I don't understand the gang mentality or haven't had any experiences dealing with gangs myself. You don't know my situation so don't try and use my country against me as a point that I can't have a legitimate opinion or point of view on this subject because frankly that's a total cop-out argument on your part.

I don't live in the hood either but I have tons of experience with thugs and their mentality. All you gotta do is watch the news in any major city in America. 60% of the news (non political news) is gang related and 80+% of the time it's due to a murder.

It's not as easy to stop children getting involved as you may think. The manipulation they use to brainwash them is, "if you don't do this we will kill you". Yeah, they may or may not kill for whatever but it scares children and young teenagers because their easily manipulative and gullible.

Yukari

Fortunately I've never had an experience with gangs.
Lucky me...

T The Manager

RealTalkRealFlow
Years
^ not even gonna argue, we'll obviously get nowhere because your oblivious to parenting and gang violence to think parents can do anything about it especially in the ghetto of any age. Parents can do very little to help. Instead of blaming the parents why don't you blame the community and the environment??

Imo, all schools should be strict at the teachings of gang activity starting at an early age (especially schools in a rough area). If schools would do this, less and less children (yes teenagers are children) would get involved in it if they knew what to look out for. Never once did the schools warn me about gangs, instead I had to figure out myself because not even my parents taught me about gangs. But again, gangs aren't a problem here or where I lived. Gangs were non existent where I used to live.

T The Manager

RealTalkRealFlow
Years
{XD} Hahaha you're hilarious mate! So I'm oblivious for thinking that parents could and should prevent more youths from joining up with gangs? Wow I'm utterly speechless that you would even say that. I don't have such a defeatist attitude when it comes to parenting. If you think parents are powerless to help then that's on you but I can't believe you would say such a thing.

You can think what you want, I ain't stoppin you lol. All I'm asking is how the parents prevent children from getting involved with gangs, especially bad areas? I don't know how many times this need to be said, but very rarely will gangs go into a neighborhood outside of theirs to recruit new members. You really think gangster go into a rich or safe neighborhood to recruit new members? Most of the recruiting comes from the block or area their from which is high crime rated areas. As for suburbs of bad area's, yeah it's more of the parents responsibility than a rough area because the child/teenager is raised in a safer area meaning the parents will do anything to keep their child safe. In the ghetto, there is no safe way. There's too much **** that goes on in a bad area for the parents to have control. I'm sure you should know this, but a lot of the parents in the ghetto are GANG AFFILIATED. {D:}

If you paid attention you'd realize that I DID mention that rougher areas (which does imply the community and environment) are more likely to attract people into a life of crime. And even if I didn't mention the community and the environment (which again I did by the way) that still doesn't mean that I don't think that they are apart of the problem also. I was just pointing out that the parents are responsible AS WELL. I didn't say that 100% of the responsibility should go towards the parents.

Life outside an area without crime it's not a problem. It's only a problem in bad area's, and as I said earlier it's difficult to stop the youth from getting involved. Most of the parents in a bad area either don't care, do care, or their too ****ed up off drugs to even give a ****.

Sure. I never said that schools shouldn't try and get involved with preventing youths joining gangs. All I was saying is that it starts at home with the family who raise their kids. But yeah the more people who try and prevent this sort of thing the better.

If raised in a good home a child/teenager will know right from wrong when it comes to something like this. But again, they don't live through horrific scenes everyday, they aren't getting brainwashed by gang recruiters, there aren't bars on windows to prevent robberies (which doesn't even work in the hood), they don't see homeless people sleeping on the streets, etc because it's not an issue. It's only an issue if they live in a good area but there's gangsters at the school they go to. That's when parents should have total control because their child may be at risk at this point if they do get involved and don't know anything about gangs. Parents should be the last to blame in a rough area, but they still should be to blame for not giving a ****.

Back