• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How to change the Worldmap in R/S/E

Neutral12

The EV Trainer
Years
I do have a backup, so I guess I will try again.

Edit: Ok now i'm just completely lost on what i'm doing...

Edit2: This time I realize I used planar instead of linear. So now I changed it to linear and it currently looks like this;

lolerror2.png

So now it's starting to look more like the town, but yea... It's absolutely screwed up still. So now what is wrong with it?

Edit3: Now I realize I had too many tiles and it wasn't 8bpp. So now when I go to upload the Sphere file I get this;

lolerror3.png

Last edited:

Larsie13

Hmm, that's a bug in NTME. I don't know what could cause such a thing, so I think you should contact NTME's creator, D-Trogh, either via PM or VM, or here.
(Though I'm not sure if he'll respond; he hasn't been online this year.) I'm afraid I can't help you with this.

EDIT: 150 posts. :)

Neutral12

The EV Trainer
Years
Is there any kind of alternative to making the Tilemap?

Edit: This time I decided to make the Tilemap myself (literally hand drawn on NTME).

ntme.png

(Don't worry I noticed that patch of green in the bottom right corner, it was made into water after the screenshot)

Yet, I get another error. However this time it is closer to looking like a map;

lolerror4.png

Edit2: Ok now something really weird just happened. I checked my map in the emulator again and now it just changed pattern...

lolerror5.png

Last edited:

Neutral12

The EV Trainer
Years
Ok so now it works, but NOW I'm having size issues (Basically i can't reach all my cities within the limits. Now I want to know the following;

How big should my map be?
How do I know where the GBAs limit is on my image?

Larsie13

Ok so now it works, but NOW I'm having size issues (Basically i can't reach all my cities within the limits. Now I want to know the following;

How big should my map be?
How do I know where the GBA's limit is on my image?
Your map should be 240x160 pixels, usually, because that's the GBA's screen's size. Except if there's land at the bottom or right, then you should increase the size a little for the map to not have sea after the edge if you zoom in in the PokéNav. Either make an edge, or let the land continue for 24 pixels to the right, and 8 down. (It can suddenly end, it doesn't matter, because anything bigger than 264x168 will not be seen on screen, ever.)

If you want to know what area the cursor can get to, check the first post. It's the second image in the first spoiler.

And no, there's no other way to make the map than to use a tilemap.

Shiny Quagsire

I'm Still Alive, Elsewhere
Years
Ok, I completly followed the tutorial, and something went wrong. It's a complete jumble. It looked similar to neutral12's thing. It changes and it's messed up.

Larsie13

Ok, I completly followed the tutorial, and something went wrong. It's a complete jumble. It looked similar to neutral12's thing. It changes and it's messed up.
Well, I can't tell exactly what the problem is without any more info. Did you use Chaos Rush's tip? (It's five posts up.) If you did, and it still doesn't work as it should, post again with some more info, preferably a screenshot or something.

Shiny Quagsire

Years
Yes, I did, only for the ruby worldmap. I think it might be that it isnt repointing after I fixed the tilemap. (I had it 1 tile too wide).

EDIT:
I opened my backup, and reinserted the tilemap and tileset. Still has problems. I also used the same pointers you used.

Last edited:

Larsie13

Could you show me a screenshot of NTME, TileMolester and VBA? Makes it easier for me to identify the problem.

Shiny Quagsire

Years
Your map should be 240x160 pixels, usually, because that's the GBA's screen's size. Except if there's land at the bottom or right, then you should increase the size a little for the map to not have sea after the edge if you zoom in in the PokéNav. Either make an edge, or let the land continue for 24 pixels to the right, and 8 down. (It can suddenly end, it doesn't matter, because anything bigger than 264x168 will not be seen on screen, ever.)

I didn't do that so maybe that the problem.

Anyways, I decided to use Firered for my hack. I guess it's just more easier to use for me. Sorry for your trouble.

Years
  • Seen Dec 1, 2010
Could someone explain to me the offsets? I don't exactly understand what offset I'm supposed to be putting in to get the two 'Ptr change' messages. I've only gotten one and sometimes no messages when I rewrite.

Larsie13

Could someone explain to me the offsets? I don't exactly understand what offset I'm supposed to be putting in to get the two 'Ptr change' messages. I've only gotten one and sometimes no messages when I rewrite.
If you don't know what offset to choose, there's a tool just for that purpose. Go to HackMew's Toolbox and download Free Space Finder (FSF).
Be sure to select "search from offset" and type 800000 in the box in Ruby or Sapphire, or E00000 if you're using Emerald.

Years
  • Seen Dec 1, 2010
Alright. When I wrote over the rom, I now saw the two messages each time. Only problem is the game can't run anymore. VBA is popping up with with an error saying it can't read the image. I'm assuming I wrote over the wrong image or something. I can't really tell what the world map image is supposed to look like. I jumped to 245 (I am using Emerald) and shifted up and down about 20 but nothing looks remotely like the worldmap or bearing any hint to one. Can you screenshot what sort of image I'm supposed to look for?

Edit: Now it's inserted but the colors are off. The colors should be like your map's colors. i196 (dot) photobucket (dot) com/albums/aa58/darkpidgeot/mapdiscolor (dot) png

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jun 2, 2010
Hi im having LOADS of trouble with NTME i am using the same size pic as Larsie but it says it is 'too big or too small' I am also using sphere to make the tilemap like in the video in the tutorial. And sometimes when i manage to turn the png images to raw it come up but says 'couldn't guess the tilemap's size' and when i press okay this happens (see attachment).

Years
  • Seen Jul 18, 2012
How do I change the palette of the world map in ruby? What is the offset of the palette to change it?

Sorry, I'm Spanish and I do not express well in English.
Thank you.

Ready4failure

my friends and i on youtube...
Years
Actually, i've been wondering the same thing as Gershel for goodness knows how long (although for my fire red...) . my searching skills suck tho, and i cant find it. so yeah, anyone able to help?

Last edited:
Back