• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Timeline

EJ

everything is purple
Years
  • Age 31
  • FL
  • Seen Mar 19, 2022
I'm still curious as to where those hints are. ;)

In Pokemon R/S/E route 127, there is a Black Belt that will explicitly say Brawly trained with Bruno. In Pokemon FR/LG there is another black belt that will mention Bruno training with an old friend (Brawly).

If this still doesn't particularly agree with your definition of contemporaneous then Generation 3 is at least happening before Generation 1 considering how young Brawly is.

Those two sets of games have more of a solid indication that they could be happening together. Does that alone justify that the other 2 regions(before Unova) have to fall in the same line?

GameFreak is very consistent and predictable so to assume Gen 1 and Gen 3 are contemporaneous isn't a far stretch. Regardless this is a Generation 6 timeline thread so I digress and apologize for derailing the thread.

C Payne

Hoenn in 3D!
Years
  • Va
  • Seen Aug 23, 2014
In Pokemon R/S/E route 127, there is a Black Belt that will explicitly say Brawly trained with Bruno. In Pokemon FR/LG there is another black belt that will mention Bruno training with an old friend (Brawly).

If this still doesn't particularly agree with your definition of contemporaneous then Generation 3 is at least happening before Generation 1 considering how young Brawly is.

How old is Bruno? Old friends means they have known each other a while; nothing solid that connects the two 'gens'.

GameFreak is very consistent and predictable so to assume Gen 1 and Gen 3 are contemporaneous isn't a far stretch. Regardless this is a Generation 6 timeline thread so I digress and apologize for derailing the thread.

I'm sorry too but this has been pretty fun to discuss.

What about the introduction of steel types? I guess this could be considered more of a "headcanon" reason for placing RSE with RBG but even though Steel type was introduced in Gen. II, they were all dual types. Where Gen. III introduced the first pure steel types. I think it's safe to say it would be much easier to discover a new pokemon with a new type than finding out an old pokemon has a second type. Placing RSE on the timeline before GSC.

You honestly think they would have taken out an entire Pokemon type(or two, since Dark types are there also) in a later game?

Professor Oak also mentions that there were only ~ 150 known pokemon at the time of Gen I; If RSE took place at the same time(which means Hoenn pokemon would've had to be known) then how would that last statement be possible? Same idea.

Last edited:

pikakitten

You met with a terrible fate
Years
Well, then in Gen III were Hoenn pokemon are in FR/LG it makes sense, timeline wise and I think hopefully someone will come back, I'm hoping any protagonist as an adult from any other game like Red as an adult with Lv.100 Pikachu xD

Michimo

Princess Spectacular
Years
  • Seen Jan 12, 2013
You honestly think they would have taken out an entire Pokemon type(or two, since Dark types are there also) in a later game?

Professor Oak also mentions that there were only ~ 150 known pokemon at the time of Gen I; If RSE took place at the same time(which means Hoenn pokemon would've had to be known) then how would that last statement be possible? Same idea.

Well the thing is with Dark types, GSC introduced pure dark types and not just dual types. I never said they'd take them out-- of course not! I was just trying to say that realistically speaking it would make sense if the Steel type was discovered in the Hoenn region.

Also, with the logic of "only 150" it makes more sense for Hoenn- which is geographically father from Kanto- to have "undiscovered" Pokemon. What you said makes it seem like it's reasonable for Johto to have different Pokemon that took everyone three years to discover despite being right beside Kanto the entire time. So that statement of there being only 150 Pokemon still doesn't make sense.

Ah, also another good point is the lack of Gen. II Pokemon in both games, to get most of them you had to have traded over from Colosseum/XD.

Eerhfhks. .EJ is right, this derailed the thread. Oops.

Last edited:

C Payne

Hoenn in 3D!
Years
  • Va
  • Seen Aug 23, 2014
Well the thing is with Dark types, GSC introduced pure dark types and not just dual types. I never said they'd take them out-- of course not! I was just trying to say that realistically speaking it would make sense if the Steel type was discovered in the Hoenn region.

Where does it say that the Steel type was found in Hoenn though?

Also, with the logic of "only 150" it makes more sense for Hoenn- which is geographically father from Kanto- to have "undiscovered" Pokemon. What you said makes it seem like it's reasonable for Johto to have different Pokemon that took everyone three years to discover despite being right beside Kanto the entire time. So that statement of there being only 150 Pokemon still doesn't make sense.

It does make sense.

If they happened at the same time that means that Hoenn pokemon would've had to been known at the time of Gen I(with Brawly and Bruno confirmed to have known each other a while, surely they would have told of fun times in their respective regions?; Which still doesn't really prove that the events of Aqua/Magma and the original Rockets take place at the same time). How would a whole region of pokemon go undiscovered when Hoenn is pretty decently populated all over?

Ah, also another good point is the lack of Gen. II Pokemon in both games, to get most of them you had to have traded over from Colosseum/XD.

You could get Gen II pokemon in emerald(which is usually the one out of rse that is considered the most canon one).

Eerhfhks. .EJ is right, this derailed the thread. Oops.

Yeah, we've gotten pretty sidetracked.

Last edited:

Sirius

Wrong Thread.
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 22, 2013
To try to get the thread back on topic:

In all honesty, I think it'd be cool to have a pretty big time-skip between Gen 5 and 6. Maybe abound 10 years to give it some new technology, one example being the roller skates we saw in the trailer.

C Payne

Hoenn in 3D!
Years
  • Va
  • Seen Aug 23, 2014
Well rollerskates isn't really new tech, so it doesn't mean it has to be that far into the future(even though it could still be); I like the idea of it being set kind of distant though.

EJ

everything is purple
Years
  • Age 31
  • FL
  • Seen Mar 19, 2022
There have to be a pretty lame excuse for them to say that rollerskates are a new technology...

Maybe if it's something like Air Gear with mini-engines attached to the skates but that's a pretty big leap.

Sirius

Wrong Thread.
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 22, 2013
Maybe if it's something like Air Gear with mini-engines attached to the skates but that's a pretty big leap.
That's what I was going for. As for them being new technology, you gotta remember we didn't have running until Gen 3 where you were given "special shoes" and before that all we had were bikes.

Michimo

Princess Spectacular
Years
  • Seen Jan 12, 2013
Where does it say that the Steel type was found in Hoenn though?

It does make sense.

If they happened at the same time that means that Hoenn pokemon would've had to been known at the time of Gen I(with Brawly and Bruno confirmed to have known each other a while, surely they would have told of fun times in their respective regions?; though it still doesn't mean the two gen's main events necessarily happen together). How would a whole region of pokemon go undiscovered when Hoenn is pretty decently populated all over?

They don't ever say Steel was discovered it Hoenn, read my first post closely, I'm saying it was more of my "headcanon" reason that just seemed logical, considering its established that the games have a simultaneous timelines with Gen. II and Gen. IV. and not chronological ones.

Also, Prof. Oak himself visits the Johto region on a regular basis, he even has a talkshow there but all these Pokemon right next to Kanto go undiscovered for a definite three years. Also, Unova is populous too but hardly any Pokemon from previous regions appear there because its father away. Which explains what I said about Hoenn.

BACK ON TOPIC; the Pokemon games have always been based around technology since the very beginning, it seems that they're actually ahead of the real world when it comes to science but not when it comes to practical things. So if XY had a huge timeskip, but introduced many familiar elements of our world into the Pokeworld that would be pretty neat too. Maybe we could actually have a plane ride event or such, since things like that -do- exist.

Also, if XY was super far "in the future" there might be some family links with the BW protagonist... That would be interesting, no doubt. I don't think it will happen, but someone could always pull a Skyward Sword and say that Pokemon XY happened in some far off region before any other Pokemon game known to date. Unlikely, but that's always a possibility, considering how little we know at the moment.

Oh, SO, how neat would it be for future technology to include a city in XY with moving sidewalks? Like in the Destiny Deoxys movie.

C Payne

Hoenn in 3D!
Years
  • Va
  • Seen Aug 23, 2014
They don't ever say Steel was discovered it Hoenn, read my first post closely, I'm saying it was more of my "headcanon" reason that just seemed logical, considering its established that the games have a simultaneous timelines with Gen. II and Gen. IV. and not chronological ones.

I wasn't saying you said that. I was more implying that there is nothing that shows it as a possibility. ;) Surely someone in Hoenn would've mentioned it? Haha...

Also, Prof. Oak himself visits the Johto region on a regular basis, he even has a talkshow there but all these Pokemon right next to Kanto go undiscovered for a definite three years. Also, Unova is populous too but hardly any Pokemon from previous regions appear there because its father away. Which explains what I said about Hoenn.

If anything, this just shows that Pokemon being in other regions probably doesn't have much to do with a timeline; more of it probably has to do with retconning to connect the games. I doubt even Johto would go so long without anyone seeing any Johto pokemon. This only goes along with the whole idea that the games come out as they come out and there is no real pattern(as was said by someone at Gamefreak wasn't it?)

BACK ON TOPIC; the Pokemon games have always been based around technology since the very beginning, it seems that they're actually ahead of the real world when it comes to science but not when it comes to practical things. So if XY had a huge timeskip, but introduced many familiar elements of our world into the Pokeworld that would be pretty neat too. Maybe we could actually have a plane ride event or such, since things like that -do- exist.

Also, if XY was super far "in the future" there might be some family links with the BW protagonist... That would be interesting, no doubt. I don't think it will happen, but someone could always pull a Skyward Sword and say that Pokemon XY happened in some far off region before any other Pokemon game known to date. Unlikely, but that's always a possibility, considering how little we know at the moment.

Maybe the protagonist in XY could be a descendant of the BW protagonist? XD Only mentioning that because of everyone noting the current similarities.

This is all just even weirder to talk about because of us not knowing much about Gen IV's area. Even though it probably isn't likely, it would be pretty neat to have a sort of prequel region.

Michimo

Princess Spectacular
Years
  • Seen Jan 12, 2013
I think when it comes to RSE on the timeline it comes down to plain ol' Pokemon logic... And we all know how that works.

With what has been seen about the overworld for Gen. VI, they do have the player swinging from vines and this lush looking deep green forest area, seems pretty environmentally healthy so that could be a sign it takes place later in history on the timeline instead of in the future because if we give Unova the title of "most modern" the areas shown to us in XY seem a lot different from our fancy towns and bridges.

C Payne

Hoenn in 3D!
Years
  • Va
  • Seen Aug 23, 2014
I think when it comes to RSE on the timeline it comes down to plain ol' Pokemon logic... And we all know how that works.

True dat, if we're on the same page, haha.

With what has been seen about the overworld for Gen. VI, they do have the player swinging from vines and this lush looking deep green forest area, seems pretty environmentally healthy so that could be a sign it takes place later in history on the timeline instead of in the future because if we give Unova the title of "most modern" the areas shown to us in XY seem a lot different from our fancy towns and bridges.

I thought the rope area could've been a grass gym because of the obstacles and such(if you look closely, when the protagonist is swinging on one of the ropes, another right behind it looks like it could lead down to that lower floor maybe?), although of course could be mistaken at this point. It just looks like it's indoors to me.

Michimo

Princess Spectacular
Years
  • Seen Jan 12, 2013
I thought the rope area could've been a grass gym because of the obstacles and such(if you look closely, when the protagonist is swinging on one of the ropes, another right behind it looks like it could lead down to that lower floor maybe?), although of course could be mistaken at this point. It just looks like it's indoors to me.

I guess it could be a gym, the whole spider web clip looked like a gym puzzle to me, and there is this one scene that looks the area is taken out of Orre. I guess it's still too early to try and guess anything based on the areas.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
Hmm, I'm not sure where exactly, though maybe around BW2, but maybe during the 3 year period? I kind of imagine this region farther away so we might not even have any clue at all as to where this is.

Since the regions and all the characters are usually completely different I haven't actually spent time thinking about the overall timeline, since each could almost be happening at the same time, since each has different characters. (HGSS/DPPt/BW) Is there really a definite way to put these all together with such little evidence? I guess it's kind of like Zelda's screwy timeline, though in a different way for me I guess.

C Payne

Hoenn in 3D!
Years
  • Va
  • Seen Aug 23, 2014
I guess it could be a gym, the whole spider web clip looked like a gym puzzle to me, and there is this one scene that looks the area is taken out of Orre. I guess it's still too early to try and guess anything based on the areas.

Are you talking about the area where he walks up to what looks like a desert? I thought the exact same thing because it reminded me of something similar to Realgam Tower, just a big building out in the middle of nowhere.

Michimo

Princess Spectacular
Years
  • Seen Jan 12, 2013
Is there really a definite way to put these all together with such little evidence? I guess it's kind of like Zelda's screwy timeline, though in a different way for me I guess.

THANK THE GODDESSES FOR HYRULE HISTORIA THE ZELDA TIMELINE THEORIES. NEVER AGAIN OH GOSH.

Um, besides the connections stated between Gen. I and Gen. II, and the Gen. V games, there are some big hints that DPPt happens at the same time as Gen. II events, three years after Gen. I events. (And possibly the RSE events as well, but that has been summed up as ambiguous placement because Pokemon logic.)

Are you talking about the area where he walks up to what looks like a desert? I thought the exact same thing because it reminded me of something similar to Realgam Tower, just a big building out in the middle of nowhere.

Yes that is the exact area I'm talking about, kinda dessert like with creepy white sky towers of UFO technology... LOOKS LIKE ORRE TO ME.

Actually, I went back and watched the trailer again, taking a closer look and it seems like the region is based off of Europe, so there might be some history about everything Pokemon in general.

Last edited:

bwburke94

Forever Aspertia's Aspie
Years
Bringing up the issue of RSE's placement again.

We placed it simultaneous with FRLG back in 2004, because of the lack of a time machine for trading like there was between RBY and GSC.

The release of XD in 2005 screwed with that theory, and it was conclusively busted as evidence when BW1 and BW2 could trade without a time machine. We're only keeping RSE there because we have no better place to put them.

Firered and Leafgreen basically retcon the Gen I storyline anyway, so this is a little moot. You can't even find any more than the original generation's Pokemon in FR/LG until you hit the Sevii Islands or grab the National Dex. Also, your Pokemon that could evolve into a Pokemon of a later generation didn't. They'd stop evolving as if you pressed the B button. Perhaps at the time of Red's adventure, only 150 Pokemon were discovered in Kanto, but new species were found in the Sevii postgame, which was not included in the original Gen I, and would've occurred slightly after RGBY's storyline.

The Brawly/Bruno connection does not necessarily imply that Bruno would know anything about the Hoenn Pokemon. Brawly could've hailed from Kanto and then settled in Dewford later.

I'm personally hoping for a before Gen 1/Gen 3 placement in the timeline. We unfortunately see some Unova Pokemon in the trailer, so that could mean the this new region is just as far or farther from the Japan-based regions. That would explain why Gen 1/3 only had discovered 386 Pokemon, as this region is so far away that the newer Pokemon that appear here wouldn't be an issue. The XY postgame could happen contemporaneously with the beginning of Gen1/3's adventures, opening up trading if the player beat the game in XY to a possible Hoenn remake.

Back