The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Off-Topic Discussions > Discussions & Debates

Notices

Discussions & Debates The place to go for slightly more in-depth topics. Discussions and debates about the world, current events, ideas, news, and more.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old April 24th, 2014, 06:41 AM
AdmiralMcmuffin
Fong

Nature: Timid
Im not sure I should post this,but I could really use some help and advice. I figured out that I have HOCD,are there any coping techniques I can use? Its really horrible and I cant function like I used to..
Old April 25th, 2014, 11:43 AM
twocows
Pretentious Intellectual Jerk
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralMcmuffin View Post
Im not sure I should post this,but I could really use some help and advice. I figured out that I have HOCD,are there any coping techniques I can use? Its really horrible and I cant function like I used to..
Is that a medical problem? If so, I think you should see a professional about that. Asking for advice on the internet probably isn't going to do you any good and might even be dangerous.

PM me if you have computer troubles. I work in IT for a living and can probably solve your problems. My rate is $expensive/hr, but I'm still cheaper than Creep Squad and, unlike them, will actually get the job done or let you know if I can't.

Quote:
The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all.
- H. L. Mencken, unsourced

Quote:
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."
- Isaac Asimov, Column in Newsweek (21 January 1980) [source]

NEW 40K MMOFPS YESSSSS
Old April 27th, 2014, 05:09 PM
Raine
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralMcmuffin View Post
Basically what twocows said, because if it's anything that somebody needs to Google in order to understand or even know about, like I did, then it's probably best to seek professional advice regarding the matter.

— レイン · wonderland · love · achievements · appreciation
Old May 4th, 2014, 05:37 PM
Naruto Uzumaki
memories.
Community Supporter

Anti-depressants. Are the risks worth the reward? Anybody have any experience with them?
Your siren wails endlessly
Open up

l MAL l
Old May 6th, 2014, 01:08 AM
Jay0173
Author

Send a message via Skype™ to Jay0173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naruto Uzumaki View Post
Anti-depressants. Are the risks worth the reward? Anybody have any experience with them?
Anti-depressants, like any drug (including Tylenol), has side-effects. With anti-depressants, there have been a lot of stories that taking certain of these medications has led to some having suicidal thoughts. And it's not just one type. It really depends on a person's physiology and how their system reacts to the drugs being taken. Before even considering taking anti-depressants you should consult your doctor and specifically talk about the risks associated with the type of medication your doctor is proposing to prescribe to you.

JAY
3411-1525-5963

Dark-Type Safari with: Sneasel, Vullaby & Liepard
Personal Website
Canadaquaria Forum nScale.net
"...many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view." ~ Obi Wan Kenobi
Old June 12th, 2014, 10:36 AM
Origin Green
Smell ya later!

Nature: Quirky
Guys I'm not sure I know where to turn, but this community is so awesome and friendly I'm hoping somebody can help calm me down...

I was with my ex for almost 3 years...

She left me right at the beginning of April (April 6th), and within days she was dating guys using an online dating website, I discovered this on her twitter...

Anyway, here we are two months later, I have made no contact in these two months and it hurts quite a lot. My friend who still has her on Facebook has noticed she is now in a relationship with another guy (a complete different guy to the one mentioned on twitter)

So my question, do you guys think this is a rebound? She is the type of girl to lock her emotions away when she is in pain, and before I was with her I have seen her enter a rebound relationship before...
Old June 12th, 2014, 02:20 PM
abnegation
proudly paired with adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Origin Green View Post
Guys I'm not sure I know where to turn, but this community is so awesome and friendly I'm hoping somebody can help calm me down...

She left me right at the beginning of April (April 6th), and within days she was dating guys using an online dating website, I discovered this on her twitter...

Anyway, here we are two months later, I have made no contact in these two months and it hurts quite a lot. My friend who still has her on Facebook has noticed she is now in a relationship with another guy (a complete different guy to the one mentioned on twitter)

So my question, do you guys think this is a rebound? She is the type of girl to lock her emotions away when she is in pain, and before I was with her I have seen her enter a rebound relationship before...
Hey there, just merged your thread in here buddy.

If I were to give you advice though, it would be this; don't worry too much about what she's doing. If she's with another guy now, that is her choice whether it is rebound or not. Right now, you need to take the time to be your own person and work on your own goals and opportunities in life. Thinking about her and how she's getting on will only hurt you further. Whether or not she's rebounding shouldn't matter at all to you. I understand you may be concerned for her, but you should be more concerned about doing your best to move on. If you're still holding onto hope of getting back together, I would recommend that you don't think about it. If somewhere down the line it works out between you two again, great, but the chances are you're best off just moving on given what has happened. And by moving on, I mean completely. If you love(d) her, it's going to take a long time to let those feelings dwindle. So I suggest that you really pull yourself out of that relationship, and thinking about it, and just go ahead and be your own person and do the things that make you happy. Try not to worry about what she's doing, it really shouldn't matter, and all it's going to do is hurt you thinking about it.
Old June 12th, 2014, 03:24 PM
Mario
The Blue Commander ★
Community Supporter

Nature: Lonely
Send a message via Skype™ to Mario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Origin Green View Post

I'll go ahead and throw in my two cents as well if you don't mind, friend.

She left you, dear. I wish there was a kinder way to put that, but honesty is the best policy, especially in this case. And while I know it might be hard to not think about her and how this is affecting you and your life, you must keep in mind that she is no longer interested as of right now. It's tough to believe and tough to understand, I know. But if she left you to start with then you might not want to get your hopes up too much... it's not worth the stress you'll end up putting yourself through wondering and waiting on her.

This kind of case to me just feels like she was probably already wanting to see other people before she left you if it only took days for her to hook up with someone again.

Do you really think that kind of person is worth your pain?

Your own well being is far more important than her. You need to focus on yourself and how you are doing, not what she's up to or how she's doing. 3 years is a long time, but any relationship can be gone in a matter of seconds. Anything that is meant to be in life will be, and anything that is not simply won't be. Move on with your life keeping that in mind, and who knows! You could very well find that your life is better off without her if you give it enough time. Because you don't need her around to be happy, I promise you that. Your quality of life does not depend on her being in your life.

Just keep your chin up, okay? Things will get better. They always do.

Give yourself a little tlc every now and again, alright?

[PoTW PeachGoombario Yoshi Tippi ]
Old 3 Weeks Ago, 09:06 PM
HotChocletyQuilava
Blame it on my ADD

Nature: Lonely
Hey everyone...
I'm going through a severe depression due to my parents getting a divorce.
I'm staying with my dad. Tbh, I never really liked my mom, but I guess them not being together really is taking a toll on me.
I've been in depression before, but it's never gotten this bad. I'm having bad thoughts. I've been blatantly thinking of many different ways to end my life.
I am very honestly very scared for myself.
I don't have many people to talk to. I don't have many friends that live close to me IRL that I can talk to about this, and I can't talk to my dad about it either. He's depressed enough, I don't need to depress him more.
Going to counseling isn't an option either, as the closest counseling center is 4 towns away, and we simply cannot pay for both the gas and the counseling.
What should I do? I'm worried about myself...

♬I am a little bit of loneliness a little bit of disregard
Handful of complaints but I can’t help the fact that everyone can see these scars
I am what I want you to want what I want you to feel
But it's like no matter what I do, I can't convince you, to just believe this is real♬
Old 3 Weeks Ago, 04:16 PM
Jay0173
Author

As a person who also suffers from depression, I can totally relate to your situation. The first thing to remember in cases like this is that there are always options. You've listed one, which is councelling, but as you've already ruled that out, there is another option you can consider. I don't know where you are, but if you are in the U.S. or Canada, every state and province has a youth crisis hotline. These are probably your safest place to start. They're toll free, and completely confidential. These people are very capable of helping you through your situation.

I'd also like to let you know that no matter how difficult it seems, you can help yourself through this. The first step will be to make that phone call.

JAY
3411-1525-5963

Personal Website
"...many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view." ~ Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 2 Weeks Ago, 03:38 AM
inksplashed-heart
Queen in the North

I don't want to sound whiny or anything, but...I miss my sister. Not my real sister, but a friend I've had since sixth grade. She's going as an exchange college student sometime next month, and she's spent this month going out with our friends, just, you know, saying goodbye.
But I haven't been invited.
It's just. Ugh. We used to be so close, then we had a falling out senior year, and it's never been the same since then. I just want it to be easy again, making inappropriate jokes and being as close as we used to be in sixth grade. I want to be there when she leaves for her exchange. Why is it that high school changes so many things that you never ever wanted to change?

When you play a game of thrones, you win or you die.
Winter Comes To Sinnoh in the Game of Thrones Challenge
Old 2 Weeks Ago, 09:22 AM
Plumpyfoof

Nature: Sassy
Send a message via Skype™ to Plumpyfoof
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucarioPWNS View Post
Hey everyone...
I'm going through a severe depression due to my parents getting a divorce.
I'm staying with my dad. Tbh, I never really liked my mom, but I guess them not being together really is taking a toll on me.
I've been in depression before, but it's never gotten this bad. I'm having bad thoughts. I've been blatantly thinking of many different ways to end my life.
I am very honestly very scared for myself.
I don't have many people to talk to. I don't have many friends that live close to me IRL that I can talk to about this, and I can't talk to my dad about it either. He's depressed enough, I don't need to depress him more.
Going to counseling isn't an option either, as the closest counseling center is 4 towns away, and we simply cannot pay for both the gas and the counseling.
What should I do? I'm worried about myself...
Are you in High School? Generally schools have at least a "careers counsellor" or similar who aren't exactly qualified, but have sufficient experience and information to help you out. There really are many options but for some reason we struggle to find.
You can always get anonymous help online. Coming here was a really good choice, PC is a really friendly environment, very little judging characters. This thread is tailored to people like you, who are looking for help. Aside from reassuring you I'm afraid I'm not much help personally.
Just know this, we all support you. You are a part of this community, and people here genuinely care about your wellbeing. Don't burn out just yet, give it a little bit it's going to get easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inksplashed-heart View Post
I don't want to sound whiny or anything, but...I miss my sister. Not my real sister, but a friend I've had since sixth grade. She's going as an exchange college student sometime next month, and she's spent this month going out with our friends, just, you know, saying goodbye.
But I haven't been invited.
It's just. Ugh. We used to be so close, then we had a falling out senior year, and it's never been the same since then. I just want it to be easy again, making inappropriate jokes and being as close as we used to be in sixth grade. I want to be there when she leaves for her exchange. Why is it that high school changes so many things that you never ever wanted to change?
This kind of thing happens. When you finish high school you find out exactly who cared about you; they'll be the only ones who return your messages and make an effort to see you (or at least contact you). I know personally I went from having many people I would talk to exactly like you and your proposed sister but the last time we spoke was the day of graduation.
I've been in almost exactly your situation at least three times in the last five years. A falling out with a childhood friend resulting in you trying to make contact and constantly being forgotten.
My advice for you, make sure you know that friendship is a two way street. Invite them to come hang out. If they say yes but can't make it for whatever reason give them another chance and try again. After a second failed attempt leave it at "Now worries, let me know when you want to hang out". Odds are and I'm sorry to say you won't hear back. Focus on the people who do make the effort and that don't see hanging out with you a chore. Make it that easy with people who are willing to make it that easy. They'll be better friends than she is right now.
Also be weary that you aren't giving the cold shoulder to other friends in attempts to not get blown off by this girl. No one likes being the rebound.
Old 2 Weeks Ago, 10:24 AM
Blu·Ray
Manta Ray Pokémon
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Send a message via Skype™ to Blu·Ray
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumpyfoof View Post
You can always get anonymous help online. Coming here was a really good choice, PC is a really friendly environment, very little judging characters. This thread is tailored to people like you, who are looking for help. Aside from reassuring you I'm afraid I'm not much help personally.
Just know this, we all support you. You are a part of this community, and people here genuinely care about your wellbeing. Don't burn out just yet, give it a little bit it's going to get easier.
This is so true. Know that if you want to let it all out and tell your story to someone who genuinely wants to listen you can always talk to people here on PC. The people here are nice and understanding, and although most of us have no official competence in dealing with depression, we have lives too (even if it may not seem that way) and we can provide you with humble opinions and incentives

Old 2 Weeks Ago, 04:58 PM
Jay0173
Author

Not really seeking help, but just wanted to say that after 5 mostly wonderful years, I'm now single as of this morning . It's been a really rough day as my ex broke up with me just this morning. It's going to take a while to get a handle on my emotions.

The thing is, I was expecting it to happen, maybe not right now, but eventually. Like my ex said, we've just been growing apart lately and it's time to move on.

I think it's safest to take it slow on here for a while because I don't want to say something that might offend someone. And if I do, I truly am sorry. My emotions are all out of whack right now. Some of the time I'm crying, other times I just want to throw something, and other times I just don't feel anything at all.

I know eventually I'll meet another guy, but I'm not really looking. I don't want a rebound relationship. Mostly, I just need people to talk to.

JAY
3411-1525-5963

Personal Website
Old 2 Weeks Ago, 01:07 AM
gimmepie
The Seeker of Pies

Nature: Mild
Well then Jay, you've come to the right place.
I'm sure you've noticed since you have been here longer than me, but PC is full of people who are friendly, understanding and good to talk to.

Since you aren't explicitly advice-hunting (which may or may not result in me looking like I'm talking to someone invisible), all I'll say is talk to some of us friendly people. I'm always up for a conversation once we find some middle ground in our interests - although I'm for telling you why I'm right too xD
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links