• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Serena

Wobbu

bunger bunger bunger bunger
Years
Why are we discussing Misty in Serena Thread ????

Good question, but for everyone who wants to discuss Misty, please do so in a thread dedicated towards her (which is yet to be created) or you can compare her presence in OS to the presence of other female leads in the General Series Discussion Thread.

p.s. I had no intention of discussing Misty which was brought up by someone else and i apologize for being part of it. In fact i would be perfectly fine in stopping from my part talking about it in inappropriate thread like this, only replying back to posts directed toward me defending what i said.

So maybe it would be wiser if we continue with this talk through PM (private messages) in case you wish to continue?

No worries and no need to apologize, it's easy to get off topic when you're passionate about the anime. However, I would prefer you all to continue your discussion in a new thread rather than messaging, but the decision is not up to me, as long as it's not in this thread.

Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2019
026.jpg

This version of Serena does exist somewhere ! Writer/Director must erase the passive version of Serena and bring back this Serena who capable of Scolding Ash & Clemont.

Which means Misty vowed not to come back home until she accomplish her goals. If she was interested in coming back to Cerulean any sooner she wouldn't be upset and annoyed over having to leave Ash and Brock in "Gotta Catch Ya Later". Wanting to stick around, explore new regions. New pokemon and accomplish her goals of becoming water pokemkn master(strongest water trainer in world).

Only reason she left was because of gym being in danger of shut down returning back out of obligation and older sisters incompetence.

Misty was already Cerulean gym leder before she even met Ash. That was stated numerous times in original series(third movie, Totodile duel, in Kanto) not showing even remote interest for this position. But even before term water master was used she clearly showed to have much higher interests than being better gym leader. Otherwise she wouldnt idolized E4 Lorelei wanting to become strong and renowned like her one day. She wouldn't express desire several times of wanting to become strongest water trainer in world showing world how elegant and powerful this type can be.

Since water master involves becoming top water trainer in world with E4 members being classified as type masters according to bulbapedia,. Followed with Whirl Cup showing connection to them.
It can be deduced how plan of master water type was Misty plan from very start.

p.s. I had no intention of discussing Misty which was brought up by someone else and i apologize for being part of it. In fact i would be perfectly fine in stopping from my part talking about it in inappropriate thread like this, only replying back to posts directed toward me defending what i said.

So maybe it would be wiser if we continue with this talk through PM (private messages) in case you wish to continue?

Misty was only bump about leaving Ash ! However she never shown any disliked for her post as Gym-leader.
To be honest , She later seem to be happy when she receive PIA's approval and became Gym-leader .
As for Water Pokemon Master , We don't know how anyone become Water Pokemon Master . Just like we have no idea how anyone become Dragon Pokemon Master . (Unlike Ash's case where we know he has to win a real League)
Your definition of Water Pokemon Master is not a real definition . Its something you want water Pokemon Master to be.
Just like I want to believe water Pokemon Master is a Challenger who collect Gym-badge and win League by using only Water Pokemon.
However , It depend on current writer and as far as they go , They doesn't give a dam care about Ash so forget about Misty.
They probably create a half-ass definition of Water Pokemon Master that allow Misty to be gym-leader forever.
Just like they created a Half-ass definition of Dragon Pokemon Master.
And Misty's popularity won't help ether.
I read the Doujin call ''festival of the Champion'' Where Misty compete in the Pokemon League. I liked that version of Misty.

PS : If you start argue by PM then it will never stop. If we argue here then we will get a warning for spamming . Its better not to argue.

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
To keep this largely about Serena, honestly, she really should have been given an actual goal a long time ago. She may have some promise with the whole Pokevision thing, but we still don't have anything concrete yet, especially when they were setting May up to be a gym battler like Ash yet she went for Contests instead by the time Roxanne came around, or how Brock was mentioned to desire to become the world's best Pokémon Breeder, yet with the exception of the Suzy-related episodes and possibly the Stantler episode in Johto and his raising Togepi as an egg, we got absolutely nothing relating to his goal (heck, even Misty in Kanto had more focus on Water Pokémon Master than Brock did in his entire time as a main character, and even you can't argue that), and Johto was even worse as Gold and Silver actually introduced the breeding mechanic, something that would have given the writers a perfect opportunity to showcase with Brock, having him mate several of his Pokémon and getting an egg in return, yet they never did. I mean, honestly, in the time it took up to now with AG, May had already done her first Pokémon Contest and made that into a career choice, possibly was on her way to doing the second contest. And we also need her to have more to her than just having a crush on Ash, especially when, honestly, her even knowing Ash conflicts with the canon that Misty and Gary were the only friends Ash had (as Molly was more than an acquaintance) prior to and during the first stages of his journey. And besides which, other than her crush, she's effectively a blank slate, not much we can deal with to actually get glimpses into her character, and we may even get a Hina characterization if this keeps up. And honestly, she needs to actually train her fire starter at least, if not actually capture some Pokémon so she at least has some point accompanying Ash and co. And they definitely need to expand on her personality. Even May, who didn't even care about Pokémon training in the beginning, at least made an effort to train her Torchic and at least capture some Pokémon, even before Roxanne. Heck, even Brock, despite not doing much regarding his actual goal, and I would argue contributed the least to their goals among the main cast members (Max doesn't count, as, let's face it, he can't train even if he wanted to since he's underage), at least captured some Pokémon and attempted to train them. What has Serena done lately regarding, you know, actual training, never mind actually attempting to capture Pokémon? As far as personality, like I said before, we need more expansions. Heck, maybe surprise us and have her avert the Hina stereotype similar to Princess vs. Princess with the infamous Fiorello Fangirls scene. One thing I think is pointless to argue about her, though, is her only being a love interest or only a cute face. Not because I want it, but because some of the people complaining about this case haven't even paid attention to the fact that this trend started with Advanced Generation. Heck, the ex-director even made that very clear back in 2010 that, at the very least May and Dawn, if not Iris and possibly Serena were specifically created for sexual fanservice purposes in a cynical attempt to get kids interested in them simply for being a cute face rather than, you know, actually having a character, so even if it is a flaw, there's nothing we can do about that especially seeing how even when we did speak out against it, they ignore it, even when we actually mail them.

And just a final word regarding Misty before we stop talking about her, 1. Misty was already established to be a gym leader in the seventh episode of the series (and as DBZ pointed out, several other episodes after that), meaning the PIA thing was pointless (not to mention why didn't Misty return to the gym sooner like, I don't know, immediately after the events of The Misty Mermaid when she more than earned her sister's respect and thus actually could become it if she really wanted to). 2. If she genuinely wanted to become a Gym Leader, why would she be upset at all regarding having to take over Cerulean Gym, regardless of leaving Ash or not? Was May upset at having to leave Ash at the end of AG to pursue her dream at Johto? No, if anything she was way too eager to leave him. Same with Cilan and Iris when they left. And Brock, twice (well, technically four times, but I'm meaning intended permanent departures here, so Orange Islands and DP since OI was intended to have him permanently leaving the group), and heck, Tracey as well. Probably the only ones even remotely upset at having to leave Ash were Misty, Max, and to a lesser extent Dawn, and even the last one got over it pretty quickly and obviously didn't get upset about her goal. And 3. Had she actually liked her job at Cerulean Gym, she would not have deliberately tried to constantly delay her return in her second reappearance, period, and certainly not wait until Daisy basically threatened to give away badges to even consider returning to her duties, so no, she definitely didn't like running the gym at all. Oh, and Misty also used the first opportunity after Daisy took back control to head to Hoenn, leading to the Mirage Kingdom arc, showing just how little she really cared about having to run the gym. Had she actually liked running a gym, in other words, she would have been just like Jason Fox from FoxTrot relating to school (loves school, hates breaks even when it means more freetime with his friends).

And for the record, since you mentioned that wasn't a "real" definition of a Water Pokémon Master, I guess prior to DP, there wasn't a "real" definition of Ash's Pokémon Master either, especially when it was constantly contradicted (like collecting all Pokémons, beating a league, becoming unbeatable, winning the Battle Frontier, all of that). If you are going to claim winning a league (which, BTW, is conflicted with his winning the Orange Islands League, yet still continuing his journey) is what makes a Pokémon Master, then the stuff DBZ Fan mentioned equally applies to Water Pokémon Master pre-Johto, especially when this is stuff ACTUALLY STATED AND SHOWN on the show, not simply what we want it to be. Had we been arguing for what we wanted instead of what the show explicitly showed and stated, we'd have been stating Ash has been replaced by Johto since he achieved the rank of Pokémon Master in the Orange Islands since that's what we wanted. Or we'd be saying Brock has bred Pokémon and has lots of baby Pokémon since that's what we want. Or, heaven forbid, that May accompanied Ash to Sinnoh for contests in that region instead of going separate ways since that's what we wanted. Oh, and had Misty truly had an inconsistent goal, she'd be like Lola, Brock's mom, who basically did several hobbies before going for Pewter Gym Leader for no reason other than simply hobby material, with no overarching goal in mind. Even in Kanto, her desire to capture and train Water Pokémon and to get stronger was the most consistent thing about her, so no, she did have a consistent goal even before Johto.

Sorry if this came across as a bit long, but it needed to be said. At least I managed to insert Serena as the first paragraph above to keep it on topic and avoid spamming.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Aug 30, 2023
What does everyone think about Serena? How does she compare with Ash's other friends? Do you think she's an enjoyable character? What do you think her goal will be by the end of the XY series?

Any and all comments, opinions, and thoughts about Serena can be said here.

Her goal is to get that D.

D as in dedenne

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
I think Serena being polite isn't the problem !
''Tea Gardner'' is one of the most popular girl in Yugioh series and she hardly argue with Yugi and dueled only twice in the series.
Also Her goal was to be a Dancer ! She barely had anything to do with Dueling.
Yet She is popular .
I think People might like her Tough , Independent , Tomboyish & Sassy personality . Plus , She was the cutest girl in the series .
Not to mention her conflict about liking ether Yugi & Atem .
I think Serena is too passive & Girly ! Plus she seem more Dependent on Ash . Also Her crush on Ash was canonize too soon . This are the fact made Serena boring.

Truth is , Everyone want this side of serena-
026.jpg

DP15.jpg

030.jpg

Seriously , What happened to her ? She was spunky girl who would attack Fletchling and talk back to her mother !
Is she trying to act Polite to get Ash's attention ? I hate that type of Stupid Shoujo Heroin.
I think People would her interesting if She occasionally get mad at Clemont's bizarre Invention , Had a ''Temper'' to scare off Boys including Bullies and keep stupid Boys in line while also displaying a Kind nature!

To be honest, considering Kid Sonic is one of Serena's biggest fans (at least, that's the impression he gave), and knowing his one-strike you're out policy regarding characters (making that very clear with Misty), I'm frankly quite surprised that he of all people is a fan of her, especially considering the above images you posted, since that should technically make him hateful of her like he hated Misty since her debut episode.

Wobbu

Years
To be honest, considering Kid Sonic is one of Serena's biggest fans (at least, that's the impression he gave), and knowing his one-strike you're out policy regarding characters (making that very clear with Misty), I'm frankly quite surprised that he of all people is a fan of her, especially considering the above images you posted, since that should technically make him hateful of her like he hated Misty since her debut episode.

You can't base a character off of three screenshots, all from the same scene. If you'd watch any other scene from XY, you'd see that Serena is one of the friendliest characters in the anime. Famon even said himself, in that post, that Serena is polite and passive. Besides, she wasn't even rude during that initial scene, she was just frustrated from being woken up by Fletchling because just about everyone dislikes a rude awakening.

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
You can't base a character off of three screenshots, all from the same scene. If you'd watch any other scene from XY, you'd see that Serena is one of the friendliest characters in the anime. Famon even said himself, in that post, that Serena is polite and passive. Besides, she wasn't even rude during that initial scene, she was just frustrated from being woken up by Fletchling because just about everyone dislikes a rude awakening.

My point was that Serena behaved similarly to Misty in that scene (Famon made that clear in his post. Heck, he even inferred most fans wanted to see that side of Serena more, and while I myself haven't actually watched XY, Famon has.), that's what I was trying to get at, especially when Kid Sonic made clear he hated Misty in her first scene and had a strike one you're out policy with characters (regardless of the fact that she expressed concern for Pikachu, regardless of her helpfulness in directing Ash to a Pokémon Center, regardless of her effectively saving their lives, he hates her all because she snapped at Ash for saying he was fine.), yet for some reason was perfectly willing to ignore that with Serena despite his extreme one strike policy and be a big fan of her.

Jorah

What do I put here?
Years
  • Age 33
  • UK
  • Seen Aug 18, 2021
The bottom line is , Ash must stop being a Gentleman toward Serena . While Serena must stop acting like Ash's Fangirl.
Ash doesn't need a girl that follow him around saying ''Ash is so Great ,Ash is So amazing , Ash is incredible , I want to marry Ash , I want to be person fit for Ash , I want to give my everything to Ash''

She's never said those things.

Lizardo

Public Enemy
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 18, 2016
My point was that Serena behaved similarly to Misty in that scene (Famon made that clear in his post. Heck, he even inferred most fans wanted to see that side of Serena more, and while I myself haven't actually watched XY, Famon has.), that's what I was trying to get at, especially when Kid Sonic made clear he hated Misty in her first scene and had a strike one you're out policy with characters (regardless of the fact that she expressed concern for Pikachu, regardless of her helpfulness in directing Ash to a Pokémon Center, regardless of her effectively saving their lives, he hates her all because she snapped at Ash for saying he was fine.), yet for some reason was perfectly willing to ignore that with Serena despite his extreme one strike policy and be a big fan of her.
If I remember correctly Kasumi's first appearance has her slapping Satoshi (I think that was removed from the dub) because she assumed he was responsible for Pikachu's condition. She doesn't know Satoshi and Pikachu, she doesn't know that he's been making every attempt to protect Pikachu from the Onisuzume, and she doesn't make any attempt to find out. Serena's first appearance has her briefly expressing irritation with a Yayakoma that pecks her in the face, and not even for the first time. While neither really matters that much to me, there is a pretty big difference between the two.

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
If I remember correctly Kasumi's first appearance has her slapping Satoshi (I think that was removed from the dub) because she assumed he was responsible for Pikachu's condition. She doesn't know Satoshi and Pikachu, she doesn't know that he's been making every attempt to protect Pikachu from the Onisuzume, and she doesn't make any attempt to find out. Serena's first appearance has her briefly expressing irritation with a Yayakoma that pecks her in the face, and not even for the first time. While neither really matters that much to me, there is a pretty big difference between the two.

I know about her slapping him being cut from the dub, and while I will acknowledge that wasn't a good thing, she did still express concern for Pikachu. I also should point out that she did nonetheless direct him to the Pokémon Center. Besides, in a way he was responsible, considering he threw a rock at the Spearow, it got angry, and basically attacked Pikachu by association.

I also should point out that, as Famon also pointed out, she also talked back to her mom (that wasn't actually pictured, but he did mention it), and Famon even thought that actually would have made her more interesting.

My point was that Kid Sonic hated her for that, yet didn't seem to hate Serena even though that was ultimately very similar, and it's even worse regarding Serena since she knew her mom her entire life and still acted like a jerk towards her. And considering his one-strike policy with characters, that's a surprise and major concern.

Last edited:

Wobbu

Years
My point was that Kid Sonic hated her for that, yet didn't seem to hate Serena even though that was ultimately very similar, and it's even worse regarding Serena since she knew her mom her entire life and still acted like a jerk towards her. And considering his one-strike policy with characters, that's a surprise and major concern.

I don't where you're getting this "one-strike policy" from and why you're so concerned about Kid Sonic's preference, but you seem to be exaggerating what Kid Sonic has been saying, your interpretation of those screenshots, and what Famon has told you. You're trying to defend Misty by bringing Serena down with her, which is not a good form of defense. All it does is make both characters look bad. Misty has much more of an attitude than Serena, and we see Misty's attitude way more often. Serena's attitude (if it's even considered an attitude) is miles more calm than Misty's and I would venture to guess that's why Kid Sonic prefers Serena over Misty, which I can agree with. It's not a matter of one time when Misty had an attitude, because it's happened on multiple occasions. Misty has had her friendly and caring moments, of course, but so has Serena.

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
I don't where you're getting this "one-strike policy" from and why you're so concerned about Kid Sonic's preference, but you seem to be exaggerating what Kid Sonic has been saying, your interpretation of those screenshots, and what Famon has told you. You're trying to defend Misty by bringing Serena down with her, which is not a good form of defense. All it does is make both characters look bad. Misty has much more of an attitude than Serena, and we see Misty's attitude way more often. Serena's attitude (if it's even considered an attitude) is miles more calm than Misty's and I would venture to guess that's why Kid Sonic prefers Serena over Misty, which I can agree with. It's not a matter of one time when Misty had an attitude, because it's happened on multiple occasions. Misty has had her friendly and caring moments, of course, but so has Serena.

Not denying she does have good traits like Misty does, and honestly, if I could find a better way to convey it without bringing Serena down, I'd do it, but I am saying what Kid Sonic said, and I'm more of the whole "What's good for the goose is what's good for the gander", meaning if you hate something about a character, then with no exceptions you must hate it every time ANYONE does it. That's what bothers me because he clearly abandoned a code he follows with Serena, not just the fact that he hates Misty. Had I been in his position, and that had been the policy I made, probably the only character, main, COTD, minor, anyone on the show I'd actually like would be Ritchie all because he DOESN'T have any jerkish behavior at all. It's best summed up as all or nothing.

As far as the "one strike" policy, here's a quote of what he said in an earlier topic, regarding Misty:

Episode 3. Nuff said.

All she has to do now is yell at Ash once, pull Brock's ear once, treat Team Rocket with more hostility than they actually deserve ("Viva Las Lapras" and "Forest Grumps") once, and it's no longer up for discussion. She is done. She is outta here!

Source: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=8430905&postcount=115

So you can probably see where I got the term "one strike", because he explicitly and effectively stated that any character, especially Misty, who does any of these things even once is automatically revolting to him. I even pointed out to him in the post after that that this effectively means the only character who doesn't do any of those things at all is Ritchie, meaning pretty much everyone in Pokémon barring Ritchie is hated by him. And you can pretty much see why I'm extremely baffled by his liking Serena despite her debut scene having her behaving like that, since after all, why would he like her when he explicitly stated that even Misty doing them once means she's an abomination.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Sep 29, 2023
Weedle, why on earth do you care what other people like? Kid Sonic doesn't like Misty, so who cares? People have different preferences toward female characters.

I still fail to see why you're constantly bringing up Misty in a Serena thread. Why are you posting long-winded and off-topic rants about Misty? Nobody cares about Misty in this thread.

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
Weedle, why on earth do you care what other people like? Kid Sonic doesn't like Misty, so who cares? People have different preferences toward female characters.

I still fail to see why you're constantly bringing up Misty in a Serena thread. Why are you posting long-winded and off-topic rants about Misty? Nobody cares about Misty in this thread.

I just get irritated whenever people act inconsistently, that's all. If he hates Misty, fine, as long as his reasons are actually consistent at least. Had it been any other character, I still would have been irritated with this conclusion regarding his apparently exempting his one-strike rule. Heck, if he hated Iris and like Serena, for example, even when they both ended up failing that litmus test he came up with, I'd call him out on it. For example, had he been talking badly about Brock because of the one-strike rule, yet liked Serena despite her doing the same thing, I would call him out on that as well. It has little to do with Misty at all besides his conveniently mentioning her.

And sorry for bringing Misty up, though in this case, I actually was specifically addressing Serena (after all, Kid Sonic is a fan of hers, and Famon did mention that Serena would have been more interesting if she retained her characterization in the first episode).

As far as stuff more directly relating to Serena for the purposes of this thread, like I said a few times before, she needs a confirmed goal (Even May got a stable goal by this time), she needs to actually have something more to her than just crushing on Ash, she actually needs to catch and train Pokémon (honestly, even Brock managed to at least capture some Pokémon, despite his Breeding goal never even being focused on at all outside of the two Suzie episodes), also train her starter as well, among other things. Maybe something akin to Princess vs. Princess where she actually proves herself to be unique, as well.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2019
Serena seem to be restricted ! Its like She's force to treat Ash politely and worship him like an Angel.
I mean , Serena is Passive & Shy ! But Mio (K-on) , Lillth (Trinity Seven) and Crystal (PokeSpe) are Passive & Shy as well But they are popular !
WHY ?
Because They play the role of Straight-man in their respective Show.
Serena can be a great Straight-man But she need Ash for it.
After all , There can's be a Straight-man without Funnyman ! Straight-man are rational and has violent outburst to Funnyman's attic.
That how Misty became Popular . Its because of Her Hilarious yet Violent Outburst Toward Ash , Brock & Psyduck .

So This need to happen for Serena role to succeed--

-- Ash has to do thing that will make Serena angry and drive her crazy. He need to stop acting like a Gentleman ! People want him to be Smart & Competent But they doesn't want him to act like a Mature Gentleman.
Like Luffty From One Piece ! He's smart in his own way But it doesn't stop him from doing irrational thing and make Nami mad at him.

--Other Character has to join Ash in making Serena angry enough to have violent outburst by teasing her .

--Serena need to stop Worshiping Ash like an Idol and She should start treat him like a Normal Boy .
Honestly , I would prefer if She hit Ash with a Log/Rubber hammer when she gets mad at him.

Serena treating Ash like that won't prove any animosity ! Instate it will prove that Serena indeed gotten close to Ash.
That fact Serena is able treat Ash any way she want rather then always being polite him will prove their closeness .
It like how Serena able to talk back to Her mother ! She able to do that because that her mothe
r and she's close to her.

I just get irritated whenever people act inconsistently, that's all.

Let it go ! Kid Sonic is one of those People who use Real-life theory in Anime !
That Why he think good heroin has be polite and they have to Worship the Protagonist.
However , No matter what he say , Its doesn't change that Misty is one the most Popular and Funniest girl in Pokemon !
It doesn't change that Characters like Misty Such as Nami (One Piece) , Rukia (Bleach) , Lillth (Trinity Seven) , Ran (Detective Conan) are Super popular !!!

Last edited:

Lizardo

Public Enemy
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 18, 2016
Serena tends to treat everyone politely, unless she's been given a reason not to. There's a reason that the mirror Serena was abrasive and rude, because the regular Serena is not. It's her characterization.

I also wouldn't say that Serena "worships" Satoshi. She's never been blind to the fact that he can be an idiot, or that he's prone to do reckless things without really thinking about them. And we've seen her express irritation when he does these things (for one example, you may remember the scene in XY021 where he blows up Citron's camera). The reason she's not smacking him around or yelling at him for it like Kasumi would is because it's not a part of her personality to do it. She doesn't do that to Citron or Eureka, either.

And this is really something that should go without saying, but: Serena doesn't need to become a Kasumi ripoff to succeed. Haruka, Hikari, and Iris didn't need to act like Kasumi did, and neither should Serena.

Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2019
Serena tends to treat everyone politely, unless she's been given a reason not to. There's a reason that the mirror Serena was abrasive and rude, because the regular Serena is not. It's her characterization.

I also wouldn't say that Serena "worships" Satoshi. She's never been blind to the fact that he can be an idiot, or that he's prone to do reckless things without really thinking about them. And we've seen her express irritation when he does these things (for one example, you may remember the scene in XY021 where he blows up Citron's camera). The reason she's not smacking him around or yelling at him for it like Kasumi would is because it's not a part of her personality to do it. She doesn't do that to Citron or Eureka, either.

And this is really something that should go without saying, but: Serena doesn't need to become a Kasumi ripoff to succeed. Haruka, Hikari, and Iris didn't need to act like Kasumi did, and neither should Serena.

Serena need to be a ''Straight-man'' because thats the role a Main girl plays in Kids Anime!!!
Unless they happen to be Protagonist's Crush !!!!
I'm not saying Serena to be Misty rip-off ! I'm saying Serena should be a Straight-man in her own way that actually make people laugh.
Even If Serena does show irritation , She does it too Subtly.
She need to be for outspoken ! Like how She did with her.
Not any kind personality would fill the Main girl spot ! Such as Iris , She wasn't fit to be a Main girl since she was a wild girl , She would have fit as a referring Character like Korrina. But Writer tried to turn a ''Wild girl'' into a ''Handler'' which turn Iris into an Annoying Character.
Pokemon is a Kid Anime Where Humor is really important . The Writers of this show trying hard to create Humor but they are failing Because they are following ''Moral Point of View'' which restricted them.
Spoiler:
Serena's current personality will not really fit her role as a Main girl unless she become a Straight-man.
Remember , Role > Goal .
I mean , If Serena was another referring character then her personality might have work.
Like Yokai Watch Heroin Fumi has the same Personality as Serena But she is better then Serena.
Why ???
Because , Fumi isn't the one crushing on the Protagonist ! Instate its the Protagonist that crushing on her .
Serena has the passiveness , Rationality and Shyness of a Straight-man However She lack Punchline and Outburst.
Truth is Serena is a Straight-man without Punchline & Outburst .
However , Her role as a Straight-man depend on how Ash & Other Tease her And How she react to them !!!

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020

Actually, the beginning wasn't even her mirror at all (it certainly doesn't seem to be that way, though correct me if I'm mistaken, because Famon didn't indicate that to be the case), and besides, didn't we already settle that bit anyways?

As far as Serena, May, Dawn, and Iris not acting like Misty did, they didn't get Wikipedia articles either (well, beyond being listed in a list anyways), and characters only get their own articles if they actually receive notability, which does imply popularity or at least being very well known, so that in effect means they weren't well-known enough to allow for an article and thus weren't that popular.

Lizardo

Public Enemy
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 18, 2016
Serena need to be a ''Straight-man'' because thats the role a Main girl plays in Kids Anime!!!
Unless they happen to be Protagonist's Crush !!!!
I could understand an opinion that says Serena doesn't bounce off any of the other members of the group in an entertaining way, but putting that solely down to the fact that Serena doesn't fulfill some role is kind of ridiculous. There's no rule out there that says a "Main girl" absolutely has to play the "straight man" to everyone.

I'm not saying Serena to be Misty rip-off ! I'm saying Serena should be a Straight-man in her own way that actually make people laugh.
What you said:

Famon said:
After all , There can's be a Straight-man without Funnyman ! Straight-man are rational and has violent outburst to Funnyman's attic.
Famon said:
That how Misty became Popular . Its because of Her Hilarious yet Violent Outburst Toward Ash , Brock & Psyduck .
Famon said:
Ash has to do thing that will make Serena angry and drive her crazy.
Famon said:
Honestly , I would prefer if She hit Ash with a Log/Rubber hammer when she gets mad at him.

Not only is Kasumi the one character you've mentioned, but everything you want Serena to do are all things that only Kasumi would ever do. That would suggest that your ideal version of Serena is a character blatantly like Kasumi.

Even If Serena does show irritation , She does it too Subtly.
There's been nothing subtle about any occasion where Serena has been annoyed with her mother or Satoshi or whoever. I think what you're really looking for is the kind of over-the-top reaction Kasumi displayed in the earlier episodes of the franchise.

Serena's current personality will not really fit her role as a Main girl unless she become a Straight-man.
I'm not the biggest fan of Serena, either, but that doesn't so much have any to do with her characterization in and of itself but that the writers have only just started to do anything interesting with it. There's nothing that says she must be the "straight man" of the cast or that she needs to become more aggressive to be more entertaining. Serena's characterization is fine, it's what the writers will choose to do with it that matters.

Actually, the beginning wasn't even her mirror at all (it certainly doesn't seem to be that way, though correct me if I'm mistaken, because Famon didn't indicate that to be the case), and besides, didn't we already settle that bit anyways?
When I said "the mirror Serena" I was referring to an XY episode where Satoshi and Pikachu went through a magic mirror, ended up in an alternate world, and met mirror versions of themselves, Serena, Citron, and Eureka. These characters were opposites of the characters we know (mirror Satoshi was a "crybaby", mirror Serena was brash and rude, mirror Citron was athletic, mirror Eureka was calm and more respectful of her brother, the mirror Rocket trio were heroes). The writers wrote the mirror Serena in the way they did because the regular Serena tends to be kind and polite.

As far as Serena, May, Dawn, and Iris not acting like Misty did, they didn't get Wikipedia articles either (well, beyond being listed in a list anyways), and characters only get their own articles if they actually receive notability, which does imply popularity or at least being very well known, so that in effect means they weren't well-known enough to allow for an article and thus weren't that popular.
That's nice for Kasumi, I guess (I would argue that a lot of that has to do with the fact that she was around when the franchise in general was at a hot point here, and is thus a part of the anime franchise more people are familiar with, but that's for a different topic), but I don't see how that changes the point. New characters should be their own unique characters, not blatant rehashes of what already came before.

Back