• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon Nicknames

Adrian!

Urban Adventurer
Years
Does anyone else like to nickname their Pokémon? Personally, I usually become as indecisive as possible when coming up with a name. What kinds of names do you use and why? Do you name your Pokémon after someone/something or just come up with a name on the spot? :]

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 11, 2022
I actually have to sit and think for a WHILE before coming up with a name. I like odd names. Like Soren, Dahlia, Ba'al; junk you don't hear very often if at all. Idk why, I always think of, "What would I name my kids if i had any?", and then the ideas flow out.
Depending on who it is, I'll name a Pokemon after a person if it's that person's favorite Pokemon.

Years
I'm sure I've posted in a thread identical to this.

Anywho! I love nicknaming my Pokemon.
My starters are usually something silly like my Sceptile, Gex.
I also like giving my battling teams nicknames.
They're normally pretty interesting (Wheatley the Magnezone)
But for some reason I nicknamed a Kabutops, Mascara hah!

Aryan143

The Fennekin Fan!
Years
I don't like to nickname pokemon in my first play through.
But later, I love to nickname my pokemon a lot.

Sirfetch’d

I am terrible with names. I nickname my starter sometimes, but other than that I never nickname my Pokemon.

SoulSilver10112

George the Poliwag
Years
  • Seen Jun 30, 2013
I usually nickname mine. Especially because if it's one of my favorites, I may have more than five of them, so it's better to nickname them so I don't get them confused. But for legendaries I usually don't for some reaon.

Adrian!

Urban Adventurer
Years
I actually have to sit and think for a WHILE before coming up with a name. I like odd names. Like Soren, Dahlia, Ba'al; junk you don't hear very often if at all. Idk why, I always think of, "What would I name my kids if i had any?", and then the ideas flow out.
Depending on who it is, I'll name a Pokemon after a person if it's that person's favorite Pokemon.

Isn't Ba'al a scary mythological demon? :3 And Dahlia sounds like a cute name for a Gothitelle.

I'm sure I've posted in a thread identical to this.

Anywho! I love nicknaming my Pokemon.
My starters are usually something silly like my Sceptile, Gex.
I also like giving my battling teams nicknames.
They're normally pretty interesting (Wheatley the Magnezone)
But for some reason I nicknamed a Kabutops, Mascara hah!

Mascara; that is something I won't even attempt to question, LOL.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Oct 25, 2012
Yeah I can't exactly think of good names on the spot, thus I usually end up not nicknaming. But it can be fun sometimes, I remember one time where I named all of my Pokemon after a different Pokemon haha.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Oct 11, 2012
I used to not nickname my pokemon, but Ritchie from the anime and the dex holders in Pokemon Special(never got past the Red/Blue chapters, but I've read what's been going on since then) rubbed off on me. It's make my team feel more special. I never nickname legendaries since most of them are heavily implied to be one of a kind.

Years
Nicknames? Well, I often give a nickname to my Pokèmon. Sometimes if the Pokèmon I caught was my favorite or strong Pokèmon, I will give it nicknames. I usually give a nicknames to a leader Pokèmon such as Starters from my party with my own nickname Rambagos/Bagos. Oh, nature from Pokèmon always have an effect before I give it a nicknames. For example, there are a quirky nature. So I will give it crazy nicknames, lol

Years
I used to think nicknaming was dumb, until I played a nuzlocke. Haven't really not nicknamed a pokemon since! (usually)

I tend to take a super long time nicknaming my pokemon, I want it to be perfect. I try to not reuse names, unless I'm replacing a pokemon with the same species of pokemon and it's the right gender, or if I had a name that I really liked. My nicknames tend to be after characters from things, (like Padme the Herdier) but occasionally they're just random. XD (like Retro the Vileplume) But while I name them after characters, it's never characters whose names I feel are only human names. (like Leslie or Ben)

The Grubby Pup

Where's mah shiny squeaky ball
Years
I don't usually nickname the Pokemon I use in my party. For the sole reason, sometimes when they evolve, the name doesn't fit how they look anymore. I know I can use the name rater to fix this, but I'm not keen on backtracking...espeically if it isn't necessary.

I occasionly nickname the Pokemon I catch in the wild sometimes. I caught a wild Snubbull in HGSS and named it Ol Ugly.

And on D/P I once caught a Glameow and name it Ropeneck. LOL

Rainbow Arcanine

now known as aslan
Years
I nickname my Pokemon every once in a while after really random things like desserts and foods-Peanut the Furret,Hazelnut the Linoone and so on :P. Occassionally I call them after real life friends or somebody I know really well and video game characters but mainly I don't use nicknames :P.

Years
  • Seen Jan 27, 2014
For me, I once nicknamed Pokemon based on their first letter and gender, like Felix for Feraligatr. But now, I don't even nickname Pokemon at all.

Years
Well, when I was a kid, I never nicknamed my pokemons, but now I do it. Usually, I give names those are like the same theme. Like, I started my Soulsilver with Totodile and I named it Kisame (I'm a quite Narutard ;P), and now I have Sandslash named Kakuzu, Ampharos named Sakon etc :).

Also, I like to gave "boring" names, which fit to pokemon (Blaziken, named Blaze, and Musharna named Harna). And I have also tried to name pokemon totally different ( I have golem named magikarp, lol).

When I am traiding with my friends, we just usually gave very silly names to our pokemon. :)

Years
  • Seen Mar 25, 2013
I nickname pretty much every Pokémon I catch, atm I have a team on Pokémon White (action replay'd in, caught them all at the beginning, will be my team throughout):

Shellgon lv30 named Ryuujin
-literally translated from kanji to romaji as Dragon God
-IMO Salamence is by far the most impressive and most Dragon-like Pokémon there is, so it is fitting.

Gabite lv32 named Sametatsu
-literally translated from kanji to romaji as Shark Tornado
-fitting IMO due to the extreme speeds and shark like appearance of Garchomp

Deino lv33 named Kurairyuu
-loosely translated from kanji to romaji as Corrupt/Dark Dragon
-somewhat generic, but speaks good in Japanese IMO

Dragonair lv32 named Oni
-means 'Ogre/Monster/Demon' (Japanese)
-not the most fitting name but it was more inspired from Oni Akuma from Street Fighter, a large, all-powerful magical behemoth, very bulky and powerful like Dragonite. Oni Akuma is also inspired by Buddhism, which is largely viewed as a peaceful, docile religion, which I believe is fitting for Dragonite.

Charmeleon lv34 named Kakitaiki
-combination of Kaki (a semi-famous Fire-bellied Newt in Japanese folklore, also roughly translate as fire in Hachijō) and taiki (which means air, not oxygen, but the very essence of all the air (oxygen, methane, cdoxide etc.) that surrounds the entire planet). Fitting for Charizard IMO but wouldn't mind renaming him soon.

Axew lv34 named Ikari
-literally translated from kanji to romaji as Anger
-very fitting considering his extremely high attack stat

I don't normally go with Japanese nicknames as I find it incredibly weaboo, but I decided on an all dragon team for a challenge (1/2 EXP cheat, infinite PP cheat, no Pokémon centers, Nuzlocke rules for death, customized movesets from the start) and the first one I chose was Dragonite, I was thinking about naming him Oni for the reasons above and it stuck, from that point on I decided to use Japanese names for the nicknames.

Back