• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

RM2K/3 Pokemon Battle System

Are you planning on using the battle sys in your game?

• Yes

Votes: 88 61.5%
  • No

Votes: 23 16.1%
  • Not sure yet...

Votes: 21 14.7%
  • I don't care

Votes: 11 7.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sorye HK

Looking around here and there
Years
  • Seen Dec 1, 2021
Well, I would like to see at least a progress report of somekind to relieve some of us. The thread's getting seriously dull.

rubyrulez

Back in Action...again...
Years
Daegon_Kimeron said:
Well, I would like to see at least a progress report of somekind to relieve some of us. The thread's getting seriously dull.

Yeah, it would be nice to see where this project is, and where it's headed.

Years
I think we should try to remain patient until toothache's return.. We could try and come up with our own theory on how to code the battle calculations into the system for the meantime.. It has been so long since I have worked on it that I am not sure how I would do it.. Anyone have suggestions? Like using the variables which represent pokemon's level and HP etc. to make calclations for the correct formulae?

Pidgeot500

Homeless
Years
I could post some of the theory I've implemented with C++, but that's only for RBY/GSC... same structure, but when it comes to IVs/EVs, it's all a blur to me... =\

Years
The formulae has to be able to work with rm2k3.. If you really want you could even use the correct variable names from the battle sys.. If you don't know what a certain variable is or does then just ask me..

Pidgeot500

Homeless
Years
> The formulae has to be able to work with rm2k3..

RM2k can support structures, or an at least arrays of arrays with different types of variables, right? I'd assume/hope so. Outside of structures/pointers and a few basic operations (+-*/%) it's not that difficult to work out stat generation, experience gain/requirement and leveling up, in RBY at least. The theory behind how to program the functions behind the stat/fighting of the Pokemon game should be (and is) applicable to any half-decent programming language.

What do you mean by correct variable names? I'd just outline how I'm working it more efficiently with some of my programs, like, "OK, this function updates all the stats based on new stat exp, and is run whenever the Pokemon levels up, but it's also run initially..." etc. I thought that would be helpful Or not...? (Well, Tootache'll be back soon anyway, I expect, but I'd just love for you guys to keep up the good work.)

Years
By correct variable names.. I meant all of the variables I used in my damage formula.. I have variables for level, hp, max hp, pp, max pp, ferocity etc. etc. They all had individual names...
Yes Rm2k3 has support for structures.. You have to make them by yourself with the variables.. You can use +-/* and mod to change the variables in some way.. I have only ever used mod to pack a few variables into one.. A process known as variable splitting. Saves a whole lot of variables in the end..

cigarettes

Pokemon Slate Creator
Years
i was wondering in battles would you need to make seperate switches and variable for battles??? Please tell me
Cigarettes

Sorye HK

Years
  • Seen Dec 1, 2021
I think that you should do so. It's going to take a long time changing variables if you don't.

Sorye HK

Years
  • Seen Dec 1, 2021
I've edited some of the battle sys rips and thought these would help.

Years
That will be very useful for everyone working on the sys whenever you guys get around to fixing up the pp section. :) Good work daegon

Years
Hey guys.. When are we going to start on the game? I remember Daegon used to have great ideas for the game..
Daegon_Kimeron said:
That gives me another idea. How about intorducing temperature to the system?
Made me wanna keep up the pace so we could get started..
Now nothing seems to be happening.. Nobody even talks here anymore.. What happened to all that about the emotions/hunger/tired systems that we were gonna do?

Sorye HK

Years
  • Seen Dec 1, 2021
I've got the emotion thing pretty much planned out, but to use it with the battle sys, we need to get the actual BSys finished first. I wonder if toothache can give us some of the formulae to let us carry on if he hasn't got any time.

DarkMage31

RM2K(3) Master
Years
WTF man, they're friggin pngs! It has nothing to do with the OOP class descriptor 'public' or the variable descriptor "float" for declaring 32-bit variables.

And just in case you're referencing a programming language I don't know, I did a google search for "public entity float" and it's a financial term when not used in programming. So cut the elitist nonsense.[size=-1][/size]

Years
DarkMage31 said:
WTF man, they're friggin pngs! It has nothing to do with the OOP class descriptor 'public' or the variable descriptor "float" for declaring 32-bit variables.

And just in case you're referencing a programming language I don't know, I did a google search for "public entity float" and it's a financial term when not used in programming. So cut the elitist nonsense.[size=-1][/size]
Thank you DM, It is about time people respected our forums, not ridiculed them.

Years
Sorry for the dp but I don't think this thread is going in any general direction.. I saw toothache on today and sent him a PM.. Unfortunately his activity was not in this forum..
Krazy_Meerkat said:
Hey toothache,
We were all wondering why you hadn't posted in the rm2k3 pokemon battle system thread for ages. Did you simply lose interest? It would be nice if you had told someone...
Did you even start work on those calculations? If so it would be nice to have an update.. If not then could you tell us? You had enough time to post in the sonic advance thread.

So he never even left the forums.. Just the game dev section of it... We will all know what is happening with toothache pretty soon but I'd safely say he's not done any work at all..
DM, What should we do?? I worked so hard for this project and nobody else seems to even wanna help..

Pidgeot500

Homeless
Years
I've been wondering how/where Toothache was looking for those unknown factors in RS. ("Ferocity" being an example one of those factors that's not known IIRC, no?) Theoretically, anyone with experience using the rm2k programming language and a fairly methodical mind would be able to construct a battle system with hard work, once the equations and working structure are known.

Assuming Toothache is out (and we don't know what, do we? He may be idling, but perhaps all he needs is a good tap on the shoulder) are there are any places you can go to 'advertise' for someone to help out with systematic rm2k coding? Like, an rm2k forum or some such? I know someone in another community who needed help on a 3d real-time adventure (like realMYST/Uru, for example), so he went to some forums where some 3d graphics/programmer enthusiasts hung out, and asked if they'd be willing to help code an engine. (He went to 2 forums and successfully recruited 2 people from each for a total of 4.)

Of course, this would be a big project and probably not something you could put on your resume... still, I suspect there's an rm2k coder out there who could pick up any slack. I suspect that when it comes down to it, the central structure of the battle system won't be quite so complex as we'd imagine, and it'd mainly be a matter of adjusting the battle system methodology for special cases.

Barry

Pokémon Trainer
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Aug 16, 2018
Well it's not that we don't want to, it's more we can't... at least I can safely say I'd do it if I could. I bet Pheonix could do it though. Come on Pheonix, we need you. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back