• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Most Disappointing Pokémon You Have Used From The Fifth Generation

Years
The Emboar line was the biggest disappointment for me. Don't get me wrong, I loved its power and wide move-pool, but its pitiful speed and defense killed it for me. Plus the only good fighting move it could learn was Brick Break (it could learn Superpower, but I'm not a big fan of it).

Emboar didn't suck for me, it's cool.

I eventually got the chance to train one and he didn't let me down... mine even had a good nature (I guess Jolly is one of the best natures for Emboar) and mine was lucky to have gotten good Speed IVs.

Even though he gets stuck with Arm Thrust until you get to Mistralton City, it's still helpful. You forgot to mention that he gets Hammer Arm through the Move Relearner which hits hard. REALLY HARD.

Plasmette

Master of Mediocrity.
Years
  • Seen Jan 12, 2013
Emboar sucks. Sure, he has a great attack stat and good HP, but he is so slow and so frail that a strong super effective STAB could probably 2HKO or OHKO it. Infernae and Blaziken are frail, but they are at least fast at hit hard too.

I'm getting sick of Firefighter starter Pokemon. 3 in a row? Seriously?

NatureKeeper

Pansear. He was very weak. Swapped him from Victini as soon as I reached Castelia.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jun 9, 2017
I actually found the starters to be really cool. The biggest letdown for me was :
the Klink line, zebstrika and pansage, panpour and pansear and for all those people who think unova should be disregarded, I think it was pretty cool. They did a great job with the graphics.

PaxAmericana

Resident Peacekeeper
Years
I actually found the starters to be really cool. The biggest letdown for me was :
the Klink line, zebstrika and pansage, panpour and pansear and for all those people who think unova should be disregarded, I think it was pretty cool. They did a great job with the graphics.

Almost all of these Pokemon/ Pokemon lines you said could have been fixed if they had a better movepool.

But, there's no help for one Pokemon: Stunfisk.
Stunfisk is terrible, having no evolutions, having a extremely wierd typing, and a somewhat bad movepool.

Years
I understand why people think Archeops is a disappointment, but I think it's great after it learns acrobatics and has full health with no items attached. That means you get 4x attack ability for just obliterating the enemy team.

Anyway, the biggest disappointment in this generation is the starters. They all have their strengths and weaknesses, but they all lack the thing I call "awareness" which what I mean by that is that every pokemon I face in generation 5 with this guys fully evolved, it just goes terrible. Even if there is a type advantage over the enemy, Serperior can't deliver a one hit KO from leaf blade.

Emboar can, but he only helps with taking out liepards & zebstrikas you find along the routes as well as helping in 3 ogyms. I really do think he looks stupid too.

And finally we get to Samurott, the balanced water-type starter. Let me start of by saying he is a great pokemon.. In the beginning of the game where you must face the first gym leader he can be quite a help (even though there's a type advantage against you), but so are the other starters that I bashed. Just like every other starter in the generation, he eventually isn't relevant later on in the game. I have boxed all of my starters due to this.

Years
I'd have to say Pidove. Pokemon has had a long time of having a "decent" normal-flying type bird pokemon in the beginning routes. Pidove interrupted that. He's a great physical attacker without good physical moves. The only good one it gets is Fly. I don't know if Gamefreak was trying to continue our bird pokemon with Rufflet, but if so... It's waaaayy to late in the game. And you're gonna struggle taking on the E4 with a NFE pokemon.

Years
I understand why people think Archeops is a disappointment, but I think it's great after it learns acrobatics and has full health with no items attached. That means you get 4x attack ability for just obliterating the enemy team.

Why do you think Archeops is bad? I used one in Black and he was AMAZING! He really ripped apart teams with Acrobatics.

I wasn't originally going to use him cos of his unfortunate ability but hey, if you give something a go you might not be disappointed.

Anyway, the biggest disappointment in this generation is the starters. They all have their strengths and weaknesses, but they all lack the thing I call "awareness" which what I mean by that is that every pokemon I face in generation 5 with this guys fully evolved, it just goes terrible. Even if there is a type advantage over the enemy, Serperior can't deliver a one hit KO from leaf blade.

Serperior wasn't the best for me, I just don't work in sync with Grass Starters. Mine did have a hindering nature which made it hard for me, cos he couldn't even KO anything easily unless if he got a Coil boost.

Emboar can, but he only helps with taking out liepards & zebstrikas you find along the routes as well as helping in 3 ogyms. I really do think he looks stupid too.

Emboar actually turned out good for me, probably because the one I used had a beneficial nature and good IVs in Speed.

I know he's stuck with Arm Thrust until you get to the 6th Gym (as far as Fighting moves go) but once you get a Heart Scale, you can get him to learn Hammer Arm which hits HARD.

And finally we get to Samurott, the balanced water-type starter. Let me start of by saying he is a great pokemon.. In the beginning of the game where you must face the first gym leader he can be quite a help (even though there's a type advantage against you), but so are the other starters that I bashed. Just like every other starter in the generation, he eventually isn't relevant later on in the game. I have boxed all of my starters due to this.

Samurott did the best out of the starters, at least for me. It's just that I work well with Water Starters not to mention his stats are balanced and can use both special and physical attacks effectively.

Mine has a balanced moveset and he will always be one of my best.

Years
I could never be disapointed in a pokemon because I can train any single one. I've been playing for a long time and I could train even a purrloin or zebstrika (which is most of your disappointments) to level 75 with no hassle. It would just take a while.

teejermiester

Minnesotan, you betcha!
Years
I was disappointed by both my petilil and my solosis line. Sure, they both have AMAZING special attack, and lilligant hits HARD with a couple quiver dances under her belt, but I ended up dropping both of them for a
maractus on both of my runs. The thing is an awesome sunny day/solarbeam sweeper, and with clorophyll became unstoppable. Plus, you have good support moves like synthesis, cotton guard, etc.

Years
I was disappointed with Eelektross. I found it too slow to really be any use in my team and ended up dropping it for Galvantula.

Eeohnex

Illuminate
Years
I was disappointed with Simisage, Simisear, and Simipour. Their designs were awful along with their move-pool. Stored them right after I got them.

Also, Beartic, has one of the sickest Pokémon designs in Generation V. But its stats make him irrelevant compared to other Ice-Type Pokémon in the game such as Vanilluxe.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 21, 2021
I didn't feel overly let down with any pokemon really. The six pokemon I set my sights on (Samurott, Conkeldurr, Reuniclus, Cofagrigus, Scolipede and Darmanitan) did quite well for me. I was let down that Cofagrigus wasn't a Ghost/Steel type though....but I got over it.

I would say the Monkey trio feel very underwhelming to me, to the point where I would never consider them for my team at all. I really love a lot of the Unova pokemon designs but I'm not overly fond of the Monkey trio evolutions....they kind of also feel like they need a second evolution too. They don't look very tough/capable.

SuperTreaz

The Elder of Dunsparce
Years
Well, the monkey trio (they were awful), and Stunfisk.

Everyone says he is so "adorable"... I find him to be utterly disgusting and annoying. However, the Electric/Ground typing was a nice surprise to me, especially when he OHKO'd my Samurott.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
Years
Zebstrika probably. I mean it's good, I even used one to take down the elite four, but it's move pool was what got me. It can learn only 2 physical electric type moves. One isn't powerful and the other has recoil damage.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Zebstrika probably. I mean it's good, I even used one to take down the elite four, but it's move pool was what got me. It can learn only 2 physical electric type moves. One isn't powerful and the other has recoil damage.

I kinda wish it had higher sPA then it wouldn't matter if it had a bad physical moveset. :( But nope, ty GF for being meeeaaan to those who want to use it!

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
However, the Electric/Ground typing was a nice surprise to me, especially when he OHKO'd my Samurott.
Yup, Electric is the trump card against Water types...

I've always had issues training Zebstrika. Been a while since he came out of the PC. I think since I gave him Pokérus.

Cyclone

Olliee

Spreading the Pokerus. PM me
Years
I was pretty let down by the lillipup line - they looked great from the get go, and they are.. they are very usable until about 3/4 into the game and I just found them completely useless and redundant on my team. :(

However I LOVEDDD Stunfisk. It was boss.

danaxe

I long for kyurem powerz
Years
i have a very long list

serpeirior line
bouffulant
vullaby line
scolipede
leavanny
zekrom
virizion
gigalith
swoobat
krookodile
kyurem
tepig and pignite((emboar rules)below sammurott though)
ferrothorn line
i have more but cannot think of them

Back