• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Darkrai EX Darkness & Electric Deck

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
Years
So I am just casually outing this deck idea into the works, I am not really trying to crush every match, but I like being able to play a slower Darkrai deck that is a little less competitive. It turns out Speed Darkrai is a bit too fast for the other players to enjoy playing against me.

I am new to the game, as a competitive Magic the Gathering player, I shot straight to Speed Darkrai. I have not really seen much else as far as what cards are available so I don't know what all is out there.

In the spirit of fun, slower games, I want to play Darkai with Electric as my secondary type. I really like searching through my library for specifics, rather than rummaging through it for everything. So I am looking at Emolga and its ability to start searching for 2 basics and that is kind of where I am at. I want a utility deck where I can toolbox various Pokemon up and go from there. Anyone have any ideas of some other toolbox pokemon that search for things other than basics?

Haxorus3465

Turn Down For What
Years
Sableye is your best bet. It's main attack lets you get two item cards from your discard pile. Almost all Darkrai decks run with it. It works because most D-rai decks run Dark Patch, which allows you to attach a Dark energy from your discard pile to one of your Dark Pokémon. You can also run this with Crushing Hammer and Enhanced Hammer, which discard the opponent's energy. Or there is Hypnotoxic Laser, which poisons and gives a 50% chance of sleep for the defending Pokémon. I run both hammers and lasers... which no one has replied to yet .-. so, just experiment with what works well with your style of playing.

As for electric types, Emolga would probably be your only option. Most other electric types require that you run Eelektrik to work well, and that would mean more electric energy. DONT DO THAT. Just stick with emolga :)

Have you thought about Mewtwo or Bouffalant for the deck? They're both great side attackers/techs.

Last edited:

Renpuu

Gengar !
Years
Darkrai-EX variants and Electric variants are essentially two different archetypes. It wold be very difficult to use some form of energy acceleration which involves Dark and Lightning energy.
If you're looking for a deck which can still use Darkrai-EX with the energy acceleration of Dark Patch, then you could look at Hydregion. It is a stage 2 which allows you to move energy from each of your Pokemon, which allows you to use various forms of attackers. The main attacker is Darkrai-EX but you can use other attackers such as Shaymin-EX, Sigilyph, Giratina-EX and Mewtwo-EX.
The deck is naturally slower than speed Darkrai as you are naturally trying to set up your stage 2 Pokemon.

Six corners is an old archetype which was designed around attacking your opponent's weakness with tech copies of particular Pokemon to counter a match up. I'm not sure how it will fair against the new format with plasma storm being in effect.

General toolbox Pokemon are quite rare, so it is hard to find Pokemon which are universally used in every deck. Most decks run some form of Mewtwo-EX counter as it can be countered by itself and is the most universal attacker in the game.
Emolga is great for decks which need to setup the bench early for evolving next turn such as a Eeletrik or Blastoise.
Sigilyph is a good counter to EX Pokemon as it is untouched by EXs due to it's "Safe guard" ability so if your opponent has no counter against it, the game is pretty much over.

That's pretty much all I can say on that one.
If you're looking for an electric deck, there is Rayquaza-EX with Eelektrik which is a complete different deck to Speed Darkrai.

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
Years
As I said, I already have Speed Darkrai built. I am just wanting to add Electric and remove the speed factor from the deck. It is too fast for everyone in the play group, so I wanted to dumb it down.

Years
You could go with Zekrom EX. That thing's plenty slow! :P

But its a seriously viable option if your playgroup doesn't have many power decks. Is your playgroup restricting itself to the modified format, or can you branch out?

Years
Why not work in an Ampharos Prime? Being a Stage 2 will probably make it slow your deck down immensely, and its PokeBody is lots of fun!

Alternatively, cut back on your draw power since your friends likely don't have as much draw power in their decks.

Back