• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Your starter?

Which starter did you choose the first time?

• Chikorita

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Totodile

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Cyndaquil

Votes: 4 50.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen yesterday
Alright, quite a simple poll here: which starter did you choose on your first play of Pokémon HeartGold / SoulSilver Versions? Why?

Also, is that the starter you normally pick when replaying? If yes/no, why?
And which would you argue is the "best" starter for in-game?

Personally, when I first got SoulSilver I picked Cyndaquil because although I liked Bayleef is dislike with a passion the design of Chikorita and Meganium. Totodile / Croconaw / Feraligatr were the middle ground.

However, when I (for reasons I can't remember, something to do with version-exclusives I think) decided to swap it for HeartGold, I chose Totodile. Although I plan to use Cyndaquil on my next playthrough, Totodile undoubtedly evolves into the strongest pokémon (Feraligatr) whose versatility means you never come unstuck (As opposed to Typhlosion, who has a sadly quite limited movepool, and become stuck against Clair and Lance, making it pretty awkward to use). Totodile's design has also grown on me somewhat, and Feraligatr's sprite in Hg/Ss is arguably his best IMO.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I picked Totodile in HG and Cyndaquil in SS. I never bothered with Chikorita at all, considering how widespread its weaknesses are in those games.

Sableye~

Back to PC~
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2018
The game itself (SS) had been a Christmas gift, and I looked up the evolutions of each starter with my sister's fiance. He suggested Cyndaquil and I went with it. (He used to play Pokemon as a kid, so he was interested.)

My other playthroughs were with Totodile, though. The only time I chose Chikorita was when I was SR'ing and found a shiny one.

Azu

Don't touch my milk.
Years
Chikorita, just because Bayleef had this very touching episode ;-;".

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
Years
I remember in SS, I started with a Totodile that was Shiny c:
Sadly, it was on an emulator, so.. :(

But overall, Cyndaquil and Totodile were top choice for me.

Years
I'd used each of the three starters once a piece back on my original Gold, but I never really had a preference out of the three. Knowing that I wasn't going to use my starter as my main Pokemon, and that Bugsy is one of the early Gym Leaders, I just decided to pick Cyndaquil.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
Unfortunately there's already a thread discussing the starters (for both DPPt and HGSS); which can be found here. Perhaps next time use the search tool to check if there is any current threads already discussing a topic you wish to post. 8)

With that I'll close this up!

[ Closed ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back