• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sierra's MEGA-HUGE XSE Scripting Tutorial

rokrdude

POKEMON : SINNOH QUEST CREATOR
Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2016
I want to make national dex (instead of normal region pokedex) available at the
start of ruby game

What changes should i do in the script(Im using XSE)?

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Feb 7, 2010
Looks pretty handy. But I still can't even get it to work by copying every character :/ Any, would it be possible to receive the egg. And that a person wouldn't let you go farther if the egg didn't hatch yet?

Tropical Sunlight

The Faltine
Years
Looks pretty handy. But I still can't even get it to work by copying every character :/ Any, would it be possible to receive the egg. And that a person wouldn't let you go farther if the egg didn't hatch yet?
giveegg (pokemon) and checkpokemon (the same pokemon) if 0x0 goto @you_cant_go_yet

lbirrueta

HAXXING'
Years
how do you know how many bytes you will need for a script before using FSF? as in, what amount for a simple script or a big script?

Tropical Sunlight

The Faltine
Years
how do you know how many bytes you will need for a script before using FSF? as in, what amount for a simple script or a big script?
If you are using dynamic offsets you don't even need to know the offset you write it on. Just simply open your ROM at 0x800000 and compile your script. Be sure to turn off the Compile Log and view the offset that @start was wrote in. That's the offset you put in A-Map.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 6, 2012
I'm having a problem with my wild battle script
Spoiler:

After I defeat or capture him he disappears until I move then the sprite reappears and I can battle him again. What have I done wrong with the script? And if it matters I'm using a firered ROM.

Sierraffinity

Desperately trying to retire from ROM hacking
Years
I'm having a problem with my wild battle script
Spoiler:

After I defeat or capture him he disappears until I move then the sprite reappears and I can battle him again. What have I done wrong with the script? And if it matters I'm using a firered ROM.
On Misdreavus's overworld in A-Map, change its Person ID to 0200.

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
Years
I don't understand the FSF offsets; does this need to be different for every script? Or is it always x8000000(blahblah)? For different types of messages, does this number change?

Oh, and I get an error when I launch the game ): 'cause this guide, although it does entail a lot of things, doesn't explain why things go in certain places very well. My tiny script doesn't look anything like the in-game NPC scripts. I don't get why I error right on start-up, either, since I modified the mother NPC on the first floor of the house.

When I launch Fire Red, I get this (after the "Press Start" screen):

"The 1M sub-circuit board is not installed"

What's that?

This is my NPC modification btw:

Code:
#dynamic 0x800000

#org @start
lock
faceplayer
textcolor 0x01
checkflag 0x200
if 0x1 goto @violaiswaiting
msgbox @1 0x6
applymovement 0x01 @move
waitmovement 0x0
applymovement 0xFF @move2
pause 0x30
release
end

#org @1
= Mom: Oh \v\h01! You're finally awake!\pProfessor Viola came by earlier;\n she wanted to talk to you but\n you were asleep.\pYou should go visit her.\n It appeared urgent.
setflag 0x200

#org @violaiswaiting
= Mom: You should go visit Viola;\n she should be in her laboratory.

#org @move
#raw 0x01
#raw 0xFE

#org @move2
#raw 0x12
#raw 0x12
#raw 0x10
#raw 0xFE

I don't even think it actually makes it into the game, since when I click on "Open Script" in Advanced Map, it displays the old script still.

What's wrong with it?

Last edited:

Sierraffinity

Desperately trying to retire from ROM hacking
Years
I don't understand the FSF offsets; does this need to be different for every script? Or is it always x8000000(blahblah)? For different types of messages, does this number change?

Oh, and I get an error when I launch the game ): 'cause this guide, although it does entail a lot of things, doesn't explain why things go in certain places very well. My tiny script doesn't look anything like the in-game NPC scripts. I don't get why I error right on start-up, either, since I modified the mother NPC on the first floor of the house.

When I launch Fire Red, I get this (after the "Press Start" screen):

"The 1M sub-circuit board is not installed"

What's that?

This is my NPC modification btw:

Code:
#dynamic 0x800000

#org @start
lock
faceplayer
textcolor 0x01
checkflag 0x200
if 0x1 goto @violaiswaiting
msgbox @1 0x6
applymovement 0x01 @move
waitmovement 0x0
applymovement 0xFF @move2
pause 0x30
release
end

#org @1
= Mom: Oh \v\h01! You're finally awake!\pProfessor Viola came by earlier;\n she wanted to talk to you but\n you were asleep.\pYou should go visit her.\n It appeared urgent.
setflag 0x200

#org @violaiswaiting
= Mom: You should go visit Viola;\n she should be in her laboratory.

#org @move
#raw 0x01
#raw 0xFE

#org @move2
#raw 0x12
#raw 0x12
#raw 0x10
#raw 0xFE
I don't even think it actually makes it into the game, since when I click on "Open Script" in Advanced Map, it displays the old script still.

What's wrong with it?
You forgot to press the "Compile" button on XSE and paste the offset on the mom's NPC.

locoroco

Ginga Densetsu Weed ANIME PWNS
Years
i cant get my normal msg to work each time i try to play it the player on wish i put on my script doesn't say anything i need to know what i did wrong

#dynamic 0x800000
#org @start
lock
faceplayer
msgbox @1 0x6
release
end

#org @1
= Do you have any pokemon.\nCheck if PROF.OAK\lgives you one.

and this is how it looks after i compile it and put it on a sprite in a-map

'-----------------------
#org 0x4567DE
lock
faceplayer
msgbox 0x84567E9 '"Will you get any\npokemon check if\..."
release
end

'---------
' Strings
'---------
#org 0x4567E9
= Will you get any\npokemon check if\lPROF.OAK will give you\lany.

im using fire red help!!!

Last edited:

ChaosNinjat

Dragon Ranger
Years
Hey, this is a really great tutorial, but I just need some help with one piece of script:

I've changed the wording that your 'Mum' uses slightly in my Hack, so ithe script reads like this:

Spoiler:

However after compiling it, it changes to this:

Spoiler:

You'll notice the ending line for a male protagonist is messed up. I'm not sure how to fix this, I've tried saving the script and saving changes, and saving the note, but I can't seem to keep it from changing. I'd really appreciate help with this :cer_smile:.

Co500

Nostalgia Edition
Years
there is a problem with this script every time i try to compile it it shows an error of the movements like 0x65, 0xfe and 0x10
Spoiler:

Co500

Nostalgia Edition
Years
ok that was fixed but now when executed the movements dont activate
this is the script before compiled
Spoiler:

and this is it compiled
Spoiler:

KingCyndaquil

Pokemon Master
Years
can somebody help fix this?

#dynamic 0x800000

#org @main
lock
faceplayer
msgbox @msg 0x6
release
end

#org @msg
= MOM: Go outside and get some\nfresh air honey!\p[player]: ok mom. ill go to\nprof. Elm and see what\nhe is up to.

lock
faceplayer
special 0x113
applymovement 0x7F @move
waitmovement 0x0
special 0x114
msgbox @msg 0x6
release
end

#org @move
#raw 0x12 0x12 0x12 0x12 0x12 0x12 0x12 0x12 0x12 0x12 0x12 0x11 0x11 0x11 0xFE

= SILVER: I need a good pokemon to start my adventure with\nill just take a pokemon here\

#org $script

i dont know whats wrong but it wont let me compile............... pm me if u know what 2 do

its two deffernt scripts also. i cant get the offset to work on the mom in the first. and the bottom one wont activate

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
#dynamic 0x800000

#org @main
lock
faceplayer
msgbox @msg 0x6
special 0x113
applymovement 0x7F @move
waitmovement 0x0
special 0x114
msgbox @msg 0x6
release
end

#org @msg
= MOM: Go outside and get some\nfresh air honey!\p[player]: ok mom. ill go to\nprof. Elm and see what\nhe is up to.

#org @move
#raw 0x12 0x12 0x12 0x12 0x12 0x12 0x12 0x12 0x12 0x12 0x12 0x11 0x11 0x11 0xFE

#org (Here's gotta be something)
= SILVER: I need a good pokemon to start my adventure with\nill just take a pokemon here\

#org $script (What's this?)

Could you say what the script should be doing?

Muffin™

Knows your age
Years
Help? every time I do the give pokemon script, this comes up:
2lks4xw.jpg

The script is:
Code:
#dynamic 0x800000

#org @start
checkflag 0x828
if 0x1 goto @done
msgbox @1 0x5
compare LASTRESULT 0x1
if 0x1 goto @take
msgbox @2 0x6
release
end

#org @take
givepokemon 0x85 0x5 0x0 0x0 0x0 0x0
fanfare 0x13E
msgbox @3 0x4
waitfanfare
closeonkeypress
setflag 0x828
msgbox @4 0x5
compare LASTRESULT 0x1
if 0x1 gosub @name
msgbox @5 0x6
release
end

#org @name
call 0x1A74EB
return

#org @done
msgbox @6 0x6
release
end

#org @1
= Hello.\nSorry to trouble you.\nI can't take care\nof my Charmander.\pCan you take care of\nit for me?

#org @2
= That's okay.\pI'm sure someone else will\ntake it.

#org @3
= [black_fr]You received a Charmander!

#org @4
= [black_fr]Would you like to give a\nnickname to Charmander?

#org @5
= Please take care of\nCharmander.

#org @6
= Are you taking good care\nof Charmander?
LOL I'm still not finished with it

Back