• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon: Broken Beacon

Status
Not open for further replies.

luke

Master of the Elements
Years
I'm not a huge fan of the mapping style

Why? Is it not 'realistic' enough?

...but the screenshots look good nonetheless.

Thank you.

Though I was wondering: why did you use the Grass gym tiles in the Psychic gym? :\

Well you see Taylor is a big fan of nature. In fact, her psychic abilities rely on being around nature as she absorbs the energy from trees/grass. So in her gym, she brought nature to her.

Thanks for your comment...

colcolstyles

Yours truly
Years
Well you see Taylor is a big fan of nature. In fact, her psychic abilities rely on being around nature as she absorbs the energy from trees/grass. So in her gym, she brought nature to her.

Ah. Makes enough sense.

Why? Is it not 'realistic' enough?

No, I just don't like the shape of things in general. Though there isn't much evidence to base this on, there are a few spots where the player has only one available tile for moving (e.g. this one and this one) which I actually consider too realistic. :P
Also the flowers are a tad too abundant for my tastes but that's really subjective.

luke

Master of the Elements
Years
That first screenshot colcolstyles is one-tile wide to ensure the player doesn't miss the event. And I agree with the grass. I'm going to split it up into patches now. We've been struggling with map connections and warps lately and we got it fixed today, so I rushed in.

And I meant realistic in a sarcastic manner lol

Years
I am really liking this, as you know. Since we are on tile discussion, I might as well say something. I really like it, thuogh why dont you use different tiles. Most of them are the FR/LG ones, right? What about some custom ones, those always look better :3

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
Years
I am really liking this, as you know. Since we are on tile discussion, I might as well say something. I really like it, thuogh why dont you use different tiles. Most of them are the FR/LG ones, right? What about some custom ones, those always look better :3

I'm going to have to shoot you down here, FR/LG tiles are the best tiles out there. Along with Emerald, FangKing Omega and Ruby. Our tilesets fit together sweetly.

luke

Master of the Elements
Years
I love the Fire Red tiles. They're beautiful and simplistic and they work. We'll be adding custom tiles as we see fit to work with events. We added new houses and what not.

And I find most custom tilesets to be hideous tbh :3

Harry edit: lol beaten

colcolstyles

Yours truly
Years
That first screenshot colcolstyles is one-tile wide to ensure the player doesn't miss the event.

I'm not going to make the assumption that you are a lazy hacker but I will say this: there is usually at least one way to activate the event without narrowing the path down to only one tile. However, seeing how I am limited to only a few tidbits of material to view, it could be possible that there is absolutely no other way to ensure that the player activates the event but I am doubtful of that.

What about some custom ones, those always look better :3

Careful there. Generalizations like those will get you into a lot of trouble these days (especially in this thread given that Manipulation is a huge fan of Azure Horizons).

edit: I rest my case. :P

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
Years
I'm not going to make the assumption that you are a lazy hacker but I will say this: there is usually at least one way to activate the event without narrowing the path down to only one tile. However, seeing how I am limited to only a few tidbits of material to view, it could be possible that there is absolutely no other way to ensure that the player activates the event but I am doubtful of that.

It was a one tile width before the event was made. So, whatever. It's up to Luke, but I'm pretty fine with scripting another tile. I just had it there because of how the map was.

luke

Master of the Elements
Years
I'm pretty sure the player can deal with walking down a small stretch of one-tile path. I don't see why it's that big of a deal and why hackers constantly have to point it out ~_~

Years
One tile, two tiles, red tiles, blue tiles. As long as it's fun to play I don't see any problems. This looks like you're trying to get the story and game play done first and I'm glad to see that (but maybe I'm biased because of the contest :3 - thanks by the way and awesome concept for a game). I'd rather see a game that gets moving even if it's not perfect than one which nitpicks and gets abandoned with only the introduction finished.

Saiba Aisu

Sophistiqué
Years
An extremely interesting storyline. This reminds me of the Oracle Betrayed series, in which the one person who can speak with the God (the Oracle) is lying and declaring her own desires as sacred law.

I'll be very interested in playing this game, and taking out that evil acolyte!

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
The story is some of the best I've seen in a ROM hack. You've shown some great initiative and are really flying through this. It's looking great, some good hackers on your team also. I think you know how well this is doing so keep it up, I anticipate a release, as I know it will be great.

NiKaNoRoU

we are but particles
Years
Ohhai, since the project is going so good and I believe so myself, I come bearing a gift: my first sprite banner (made in MS paint ofc)

I hope it doesn't suck ;o

t0t355.png

luke

Master of the Elements
Years
Ohhai, since the project is going so good and I believe so myself, I come bearing a gift: my first sprite banner (made in MS paint ofc)

I hope it doesn't suck ;o

t0t355.png

That's very good for a first try. Thanks for the support.

Also, I think it's time to reveal that there is going to be a site with all of the info, downloads, and everything else you need to know about Broken Beacon. It's being maintained by my favorite Mexican person in the world: Forgotten Memory! And here's a preview of the site:

Spoiler:

Stay tuned for more as we've moved on to mapping the next town. And goon has finished an amazing hack for the next city with a gym in it :3

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen May 19, 2021
Awesome header! :D

Of course, Luke Jr. always had a thing for making websites. ;>

Good luck~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back