• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

fengshen

fengshen113
Years
  • Seen Jan 6, 2012
You'd need a program to edit the trainer data -- the Pokemon and items that the trainers have in battles. I'm not sure if you can create trainers, but you can always replace some of the default ones with new ones. I haven't used one of these kinds of programs in a while, but from what I recall, they're not too difficult to work with.

After editing the trainer data, you'd need to use AdvanceMap and probably XSE to add the new trainers onto maps, and remove the ones whose data you replaced. That's no small task, either -- not too difficult, but if you're just starting out, then jumping right into that isn't the best idea. (Scripting can be tricky, and mapping has its tricky bits, too -- particularly where Events are concerned, and Events are what you'd need to modify.)

That'd be the absolute bare minimum, off the top of my head.
Thanks for your quick reply~

I have another question about the 1st generation. I want to edit the effects of some moves. For example, the effect of the move [Leech Seed] in the 1st generation is [absorbing 1/16 of enemy's HP each turn]. I want to change the amount of HP absorption each turn into 1/8. What should I do?

Years
  • Seen Oct 9, 2019
I have another question about the 1st generation.
Oh, first generation.

Sorry, the information I gave was for the GBA. It's still accurate, but the names of the tools will be different. You'll still need a trainer editor and a map editor, but you will not need AdvanceMap and XSE specifically.

Sawakita

Not Invented Here
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Nov 17, 2019
Considering there's no trainer-editor (IIRC), you might want to try using a hex editor or IIMarckus's disassembly base, as a starting point. Give a look at the thread I wrote about Gen I hacking info (linked in my signature), to learn more about several data structures in Red/Blue versions. For anything you don't find in that thread, chances are that you'd need ASM-hacking to obtain it.

Last edited:

fengshen

fengshen113
Years
  • Seen Jan 6, 2012
Considering there's no trainer-editor (IIRC), you might want to try using a hex editor or IIMarckus's disassembly base, as a starting point. Give a look at the thread I wrote about Gen I hacking info (linked in my signature), to learn more about several data structures in Red/Blue versions. For anything you don't find in that thread, chances are that you'd need ASM-hacking to obtain it.
Thanks. I have read through the thread you provided, but I find nothing about how to change the effects of attacks. I think it is not a difficult task, only I can't find the location of such data.

Resultz

All- round Poke-Whizz
Years
I'll try rephrase this for a third try.

How would I:

a) import FireRed tilesets and trainer sprites to Ruby?
b) take player's pokemon and give them new choices of pokemon? ( much like Battle Factory)
c) make the player spawn with all badges, national dex and a pokemon already.

thanks

Years
  • Seen Aug 31, 2014
I've looked in this forum and on google as best as I can, and I'm still looking for this:

A tool that easily allows me to edit Pokemon Abilities. A program that can turn Sturdy into it's Gen 5 style or allow me to revamp Blaze/Overgrow/Torrent/etc.

Does anyone know of one? I don't want to mess with ASM editting since I'm just hacking FireRed for me and my friends.

Edit: Also, I've seen mention of Jambo editting Gen IV/V evolutions into Fire Red. Is there a patch for this? I'm unable to find one.

Last edited:

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
Years
I'll try rephrase this for a third try.

How would I:

a) import FireRed tilesets and trainer sprites to Ruby?
b) take player's pokemon and give them new choices of pokemon? ( much like Battle Factory)
c) make the player spawn with all badges, national dex and a pokemon already.

thanks

a) Save/ export the tilesets and block data from FR in Advance Map's block editor then import the blocks and tiles into Ruby. You'll have to change the behaviour and background byte accordingly, since the HEX values in one game will not have the same effects in the other.

As for the trainer sprites, you could use a tool like UNlz.GBA or NSE (here is NSE's trainer sprites plugin), save/ export the sprites in FR and then reinsert them into Ruby.

b) If you want to take Pokemon away, you'll have to use HackMew's ASM routine. As for choosing Pokemon, perhaps you could use a multichoice script but it is a bit limiting since you won't be able to see them like in the Battle Factory. You could also give the player six random Pokemon, allow the player to check their moves/ stats in their party screen and then chose three to keep, using the ASM routine to remove the three that they didn't choose. Either way, if you don't make your own ASM routines, the ways you let the player choose their Pokemon are going to be limited since you will be relying on scripting commands.

c) You could use a level script on the starting map that does all of those things. Find the flags, specials and anything else you need to activate the badges/ Pokedex and then use the 'givepokemon' command to let the player have a Pokemon. If you make it correctly, the level script will only activate once and give you everything you want.

I'm pretty sleepy so this might all sound like gibberish or it is just plain wrong :D

I've looked in this forum and on google as best as I can, and I'm still looking for this:

A tool that easily allows me to edit Pokemon Abilities. A program that can turn Sturdy into it's Gen 5 style or allow me to revamp Blaze/Overgrow/Torrent/etc.

Does anyone know of one? I don't want to mess with ASM editting since I'm just hacking FireRed for me and my friends.

Edit: Also, I've seen mention of Jambo editting Gen IV/V evolutions into Fire Red. Is there a patch for this? I'm unable to find one

At this point in time there is no such tool.

Jambo hasn't released his amazing patch to the public yet. However, he has said that it will be out eventually so keep an eye on the thread :P

Years
  • Seen Aug 31, 2014
To the person above me, thank you.

Another question that popped up:

I want to give the national pokedex when you get the original pokedex so I can have all the lines appear in the wild from the get go. But I encounter a problem when doing this:

The game thinks you've already beaten the Elite 4. You cannot face the Elite 4 the first time and instead must remove Team Rocket from the Sevii Islands before you can even fight them once. I cannot figure out how to fix this. Can someone help me figure out how?

Years
  • Seen Oct 9, 2019
I want to give the national pokedex when you get the original pokedex so I can have all the lines appear in the wild from the get go. But I encounter a problem when doing this:

The game thinks you've already beaten the Elite 4. You cannot face the Elite 4 the first time and instead must remove Team Rocket from the Sevii Islands before you can even fight them once. I cannot figure out how to fix this. Can someone help me figure out how?
You could perhaps edit the Elite Four scripts? My guess is that something in those scripts checks for flags that get set when the National Dex is obtained, so if you can find those flags, you can unset them after granting the Dex.

Years
  • Seen Feb 10, 2012
OW Sprites

Hey I have a couple more questions.

1. Is it possible to add more OW Sprite Space to Fire Red ROM so I don't have to delete a Sprite?

2. Is it possible to import a pallet with an OW Sprite without getting rid of a current pallet?

3. Is there an alternative program to Overworld Changer?

Thanks

Kevin

kevin del rey
Years
Hey I have a couple more questions.

1. Is it possible to add more OW Sprite Space to Fire Red ROM so I don't have to delete a Sprite?

2. Is it possible to import a pallet with an OW Sprite without getting rid of a current pallet?

3. Is there an alternative program to Overworld Changer?

Thanks
1. JPAN's Engine I'm sure. I've never used it but I heard it supports that.

2. I'm not sure on that one.

3. Overworld Editor RE or Nameless Sprite Editor [classic version] (I suggest that one).

Years
  • Seen Aug 7, 2016
HM badge check

Hello.

Is there a way to disable the badge check for HM moves?

I searched throughout this forum but only found this in a post:

" Disable the badge-check for HMs:
eb 0812462E 0 "

I'm not sure as what to do with that, but I presume it involves HEX editing. I'm using FireRed.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks!

Darthatron

巨大なトロール。
Years
Hello.

Is there a way to disable the badge check for HM moves?

I searched throughout this forum but only found this in a post:

" Disable the badge-check for HMs:
eb 0812462E 0 "

I'm not sure as what to do with that, but I presume it involves HEX editing. I'm using FireRed.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks!
Go to 12462E in a hex editor and change the byte to 00.

Resultz

All- round Poke-Whizz
Years
@DrFuji. mI understand the majority of what you said. Thanks. just a couple more questions based off that;
-Is that stuff doable for a newbie hacker such as myself, who only has minimal experience with import/exporting sprites/stuff and very very basic scripting. I've heard of ASM, but have no clue how to use it.
-By behaviour bytes do you mean what the tile does, such as the arrow tiles found in gyms?, because these are the main things i want to export - the rocket warehouse and viridian gym style arrow tiles.

Sawakita

Not Invented Here
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Nov 17, 2019
Thanks. I have read through the thread you provided, but I find nothing about how to change the effects of attacks. I think it is not a difficult task, only I can't find the location of such data.
Well, If you mean changing the predefined effect assigned to each attack, there is a document, linked in that thread, so you should have looked more closely. If you mean creating a new effect or modifying an existing one (for example increase the chance of burn from 9% to 50%) then you'll need to reverse and rewrite some parts of code, as I said in my previous post, using ASM.

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
Years
@DrFuji. mI understand the majority of what you said. Thanks. just a couple more questions based off that;
-Is that stuff doable for a newbie hacker such as myself, who only has minimal experience with import/exporting sprites/stuff and very very basic scripting. I've heard of ASM, but have no clue how to use it.
-By behaviour bytes do you mean what the tile does, such as the arrow tiles found in gyms?, because these are the main things i want to export - the rocket warehouse and viridian gym style arrow tiles.

If you're still learning how to hack around those areas, then I would say that some of your plans my be a bit too out of your depth unfortunately. If you read tutorials or ask people around the forum about how to script, insert sprites and other things like that, then I'm sure you will learn how to bring a lot of the features you want to your hack. ASM is out of reach for the majority of hackers, but if you want to read up on it, HackMew has made two or three early tutorials which you can read here in order to learn more about it.

Yeah, if you can find tiles in Ruby that have the same effect as Fire Red, then you can change the imported FR tiles to adhere to Ruby's behaviour bytes. Some of the effects that FR's behaviours bytes give to the tiles may not be present in Ruby (e.g Cycling Road's ability to pull the player downwards). For your example of the arrow tiles, in FR, the up arrow that slides you around the ground has a behaviour byte of 56, while the up arrow in Ruby's Mossdeep City Gym has a byte of 46. So when you import the FR tiles into Ruby, be sure to go around all the tilesets and readjust these bytes to Ruby's behaviour system if you can find a suitable replacement that copies what happens in FR.

Because of my sleep deprived state yesterday, I also forgot that you will also have to add or edit the animations for things such as flowers after importing the tilesets. I would suggest using a tool like AnimEditor which allows you to delete old animations and insert new ones.

Resultz

All- round Poke-Whizz
Years
@DrFuji
Yeah I will, thanks! I've been trying to learn how to script for a while without success but hopefully i'll crack it eventually.
I've decided that FireRed's 'spin until you stop' arrow tiles are better than RSE's 'spin until you reach the end of the arrow tile', and will be using FieRed rather than Ruby.

which brings the question; Is it necessary for me to get JPAN's engine? I've heard alot about it and I like the sound of it.

And also would people of the forums actually help me physically hack a ROM if I got into a sticky situation with the tough stuff, because I don't want to start it, then halt progress because I can't find anyone willing to help me do something I can't understand how to do. It's what happened partly with my last hack, hah.

Anyways sorry for all the questions.

Years
  • Seen Oct 9, 2019
which brings the question; Is it necessary for me to get JPAN's engine? I've heard alot about it and I like the sound of it.
Necessary? No. But if you apply his patch to your ROM before you start working on it, you will find the modifications it contains to be immeasurably useful.

And also would people of the forums actually help me physically hack a ROM if I got into a sticky situation with the tough stuff, because I don't want to start it, then halt progress because I can't find anyone willing to help me do something I can't understand how to do. It's what happened partly with my last hack, hah.
In my extremely limited experience, most of the people here are good for typical questions and for a limited degree of esoteric questions. If you need to do anything truly advanced -- in particular, if you need to touch even so much as a single line of assembly code -- you will be entirely on your own.

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
Years
@DrFuji
Yeah I will, thanks! I've been trying to learn how to script for a while without success but hopefully i'll crack it eventually.
I've decided that FireRed's 'spin until you stop' arrow tiles are better than RSE's 'spin until you reach the end of the arrow tile', and will be using FieRed rather than Ruby.

Anyways sorry for all the questions.

It isn't necessary, but personally I would highly recommend using it because it is extremely useful. You will need to know how to script competently if you choose to use it because new specials make up the majority of the additions, rather than more 'passive' changes (like his changes to the OW system).

You could always make a help thread to help make the hack. Or if you want a safety net rather than a team of people working at it all at once, you could VM/PM other people around the forum and have them pre-emptively agree to help you out for a short period of time should you need it in the future. You probably won't be able to find help for some of the harder things like ASM, but there are still a large number of people here that will probably help you out with other areas of the hack such as scripting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back