Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development > Pokémon Essentials
Reload this Page [Question] Killing Pokemon

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Pokémon Essentials All questions and discussion about Pokémon Essentials, the Pokémon game kit for RPG Maker XP, go in here. Also contains links to the latest downloads and the Essentials Wiki.

Old September 26th, 2013 (08:14 AM).
The blind Pokémon Master!

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to pokemonmasteraaron
Hi!
I would like to remove a Pokemon from the player's party when it faints, meaning it dies.
I won't worry about changing the text, not yet anyway. String manipulation is easy.
Anyway, I am wanting to know how this would be done?
I know of the pbRemovePokemonAt(index) function.
Where would I put this in the script? I don't know my way around essentials very well. Additionally, I want to store the most recently killed Pokemon in a variable for a potential method of revival.
This whole thing seems very easy, I'm just not sure where it goes. Will it need to be changed in multiple locations?
Thanks!
Old September 26th, 2013 (08:41 AM).
PokemonGDX creator

Nature: Adamant
You put it where the faint function is called which should be in PokeBattle_ActualScene or w.e. I do not think you should need to use a game variable, I bet it already gets the index of the pokemon in the party. Then again, its been awhile since I opened up essentials.
Old September 26th, 2013 (02:32 PM).
Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials

It's a whole can of worms, actually. The main issue is that there's no support for adding/removing Pokémon in the player's party during a battle. Trying to do so will quickly result in a mess.

My suggestion would be to check after every battle for fainted Pokémon and delete them then (and then check for an empty party for a black-out). However, this wouldn't take into account the order in which they fainted. It'd also leave fainted Pokémon in the party (albeit unusable) until the end of the battle. Still, I think it's the best option, unless you want to change how your Nuzlocke mode works.

There are of course other problems with deleting Pokémon, such as the player getting trapped in an area which they needed an HM to get into but the only Pokémon that could learn it was killed. This looks particularly odd if you find yourself surfing on a dead Pokémon (lingering effects like surfing/diving/Strength would need to be stopped once the user dies and there's no replacement user).
Old September 27th, 2013 (10:57 AM).
The blind Pokémon Master!

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to pokemonmasteraaron
OK. Not concerned with the hm/tm thing. I would like to know what checking and removing Pokemon would look like, though. How would that be done? Also, I'm not sure which script to put it in still.
Old September 27th, 2013 (01:46 PM).
Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials

It really depends on how you want it to work. If you want the deletion to occur at the end of a battle, then find the parts of the code where ends of battles occur. An easy way is to find instances of the line:

Code:
if decision==2 || decision==5
...and stick something in just before it. That "something" could be:

Code:
for i in 0...$Trainer.party.length
  $Trainer.party[i]=nil if $Trainer.party[i].hp==0
end
$Trainer.party.compact!
This code is used because it can delete the player's last usable Pokémon, which pbRemovePokemonAt can't do. This code, of course, outright deletes the Pokémon rather than putting them into a "last fainted Pokémon" variable to wait for a potential revive.

If Pokémon can faint from poison while walking around, or faint for any other reason while walking around, you should also put this code in the appropriate script(s) to make sure they die rather than just faint.

This approach is untested.

Sponsored Links

You may also like.. (Beta)