• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is Nidoking alright? Also, Lapras vs Gyarados?

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Mar 10, 2014
Hey Guys! So I do a Let's play on Pokemon FireRed and I have a few questions. My subs have said Nidoking was alright, but I need more opinion. Because I myself have NEVER used him! And I really want a Poison type! And also, Lapras vs Gyarados? I really want Lapras, but really which do you guys prefer? It'd be amazing to get some opinion and advice! Thanks!

If you guys are interested in checking it out, my channel is the same as my name. ClawShotter. Idc if you do or not, but I seriously need opinions it'll really help in my LP! (btw I just beat misty so i'm in the beginning)

Jehowi

Your Master Superior
Years
I used to pick Nidoking all the time back in the red/blue days, since Nidoran (m) could be found in that grassy spot west of Viridian City. I'd say he's a good choice to play through the game. He has high offensive stats and can be used in many different ways, as he can learn a lot of different attacks. He has STAB earthquake, that's a plus, and his Poison Point ability can come in handy sometimes as well. Make sure you've got his weakness to water and ground covered, though. Perhaps by some grass type? Was your starter Bulbasaur?

RiverStyxx

- Vaporeon Rules The Styxx! -
Years
Nidoking is great, good diverse movepole to work with! Also with Lapras vs Gyrados here are the stats:

Lapras: 130 HP, 85 Attack, 80 Defense, 85 Special Attack, 95 Special Defense, 60 Speed.

Gyrados: 95 HP, 125 Attack, 79 Defense, 60 Special Attack, 100 Special Defense, 81 Speed.

Lapras is great staller and wall and Gyrados is good sweeper!

Your choice honestly!

Shadeh

KABOOM!
Years
I LOVED Nidoking. Don't use the moon stone on him until you get good moves for him. Because once you evolve him, say goodbye to good moves that he will learn earlier on.

RoreyG

Lizardon Man
Years
Nidoking's probably one of the best and easiest Pokemon to use In-Game. Whenever I use Nidioking In-Game in FR/LG, I tend to use this Moveset:

- Earthquake
- Brick Break
- Strength/ Thrash
- Megahorn (which is one of the few moves Nidoking learns naturally after you use the Moon Stone).

If you want, you could put Toxic on him or You can put the Thunderbolt/ Ice Beam Combo on him. However, Earthquake is a MUST regardless of what you choose to do. You can use Dig until you get Earthquake after you beat the Viridian City Gym.

Sludge Bomb is another option but you don't get it until the Post-Game when you beat Team Rocket in their Base on Five Island.

Regarding the Lapras vs Gyarados issue, it depends on what you want to do. The Physical/ Special move split doesn't exist in Gen 3 and whether a move is Physical or Special depends on the Type. Water Type is Special based so if you want to maximize your use of it, go with Lapras. I find that the most useful ones have the Shell Armor ability.

I usually tend to go with this Moveset for Lapras:
- Surf
- Ice Beam (particularly helpful against Lance)
- Body Slam
- Psychic (particularly helpful against Agatha)

If you decide to go with Gyarados, choose one with a nature that raises Special Attack to maximize your use of Surf (you'll need the extra help, even with STAB and it's base power). Your best Moveset would be:
- Surf (STAB)
- Earthquake (for Coverage against Electric Types)
- Dragon Dance (to set up for a Sweep)
- Return/ Hyper Beam (Neutrality)

Keep in mind that if you go with Gyarados, you NEED to put Earthquake on it, thus, depriving Nidoking of it.

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
Years
  • Seen Jan 18, 2017
As others have said, Nidoking is a great Pokemon. It has a good typing, good attacking stats, and a great movepool. Personally, I'd recommend to evolve your Nidorino as soon as it has learnt Poison Sting.

As for Lapras vs Gyarados, I'd go with Lapras. Since this is a 3rd generation game, the Physical/Special split doesn't exist, and Gyarados doesn't get any Flying moves aside from Hidden Power. And then again, you could most likely end up getting the wrong HP type. In other words, go with Lapras.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Mar 10, 2014
I used to pick Nidoking all the time back in the red/blue days, since Nidoran (m) could be found in that grassy spot west of Viridian City. I'd say he's a good choice to play through the game. He has high offensive stats and can be used in many different ways, as he can learn a lot of different attacks. He has STAB earthquake, that's a plus, and his Poison Point ability can come in handy sometimes as well. Make sure you've got his weakness to water and ground covered, though. Perhaps by some grass type? Was your starter Bulbasaur?

No STUPIDLY I picked Charmander. I know I should have picked bulbasaur because I want a Lapras, AND I want an Arcanine. Didn't really think it through to well..

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Mar 10, 2014
Nidoking's probably one of the best and easiest Pokemon to use In-Game. Whenever I use Nidioking In-Game in FR/LG, I tend to use this Moveset:

- Earthquake
- Brick Break
- Strength/ Thrash
- Megahorn (which is one of the few moves Nidoking learns naturally after you use the Moon Stone).

If you want, you could put Toxic on him or You can put the Thunderbolt/ Ice Beam Combo on him. However, Earthquake is a MUST regardless of what you choose to do. You can use Dig until you get Earthquake after you beat the Viridian City Gym.

Sludge Bomb is another option but you don't get it until the Post-Game when you beat Team Rocket in their Base on Five Island.

Regarding the Lapras vs Gyarados issue, it depends on what you want to do. The Physical/ Special move split doesn't exist in Gen 3 and whether a move is Physical or Special depends on the Type. Water Type is Special based so if you want to maximize your use of it, go with Lapras. I find that the most useful ones have the Shell Armor ability.

I usually tend to go with this Moveset for Lapras:
- Surf
- Ice Beam (particularly helpful against Lance)
- Body Slam
- Psychic (particularly helpful against Agatha)

If you decide to go with Gyarados, choose one with a nature that raises Special Attack to maximize your use of Surf (you'll need the extra help, even with STAB and it's base power). Your best Moveset would be:
- Surf (STAB)
- Earthquake (for Coverage against Electric Types)
- Dragon Dance (to set up for a Sweep)
- Return/ Hyper Beam (Neutrality)

Keep in mind that if you go with Gyarados, you NEED to put Earthquake on it, thus, depriving Nidoking of it.

AMAZING REPLY! You are seriously awesome. Taking time out of your day to answer with that much detail. You sir. Are awesome.

RoreyG

Lizardon Man
Years
AMAZING REPLY! You are seriously awesome. Taking time out of your day to answer with that much detail. You sir. Are awesome.

No Problem man. It's cool. :)

Charmander's a great starter too. He's usually my choice for the Kanto Games.

Catch a Mankey in the route left of Viridian City (that'll take care of Brock) and a Pikachu in Viridian Forest (that'll take care of Misty) and it'll be smooth sailing for You and Charizard.

Use this moveset for Charizard:
- Flamethrower (STAB, unstoppable)
- Fly (STAB)
- Dragon Claw (good Special based coverage move in Gen 3, use Slash until you get the TM in Victory Road)
- Steel Wing (for those pesky Rock Types, you get the TM in the Safari Zone

It'll be worth it too because Primape and Raichu are AMAZING!!!

Last edited:
Back