• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
@robin22gongon, did you try Metapod23's tutorial? Here is the link to his tutorial: @LusoTrainer, I can't help you too much with that, I see that the script calls 3 different Specials, I have no idea what those are specifically for. And the script is editing 2 flags... Well, flags are bits in the memory that have either the value 0 or 1, they are usually used to prevent a script from happening twice. Anyway, I advice you to get a good scripting tutorial and make your own scripts, that way you'll know what you're doing better. dieigoisawesome has the best scripting tutorial imo, here is a link to his thread:

Years
  • Seen Apr 24, 2023
ok, so I've been doing some sprite replacing in Fire Red, but I've hit a snag, whenever I change the offset of Kakunas colour pallete, it causes the rom to white screen when you boot it up and I have no idea what to do, the offset is D38CE8 if that means anything to anyone.

Also when i attempt to edit Kakuna's shiny pallete, I get a "An attepmt was made to move the file pointer before the beginning of the file." error and I forgot to mention I'm using Nameless Sprite Editor Classic.

Last edited:

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
Years
I thought I saw an elevator-making tutorial here somewhere, but I can't find it. :/ So, how can I create elevators in Ruby and Sapphire without having to recycle Lilycove's?

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 24, 2023
ok, so I've been doing some sprite replacing in Fire Red, but I've hit a snag, whenever I change the offset of Kakunas colour pallete, it causes the rom to white screen when you boot it up and I have no idea what to do, the offset is D38CE8 if that means anything to anyone.

Also when i attempt to edit Kakuna's shiny pallete, I get a "An attepmt was made to move the file pointer before the beginning of the file." error and I forgot to mention I'm using Nameless Sprite Editor Classic.

Bro, I feel for you. ^^ Just use Wichu's Advanced Sprite Editor. Use the Search Bar. I think they're still distributed in a pack which includes: Advanced Sprite Editor, Advanced Sprite Position Editor, and Advanced Pokemon Icon Editor. BUT when using Wichu's Sprite Editor, picture's gotta be in this format:
DO NOT STEAL!!!!!
UNINDEXED. So if you don't see the picture above, it is in this format: Normal Front Shiny Front Normal Back Shiny Back Unindexed Resolution: 256x64.

I thought I saw an elevator-making tutorial here somewhere, but I can't find it. :/ So, how can I create elevators in Ruby and Sapphire without having to recycle Lilycove's?

Have you tried recycling Lilycove's first then studying how it works?

karatekid552

What happens if I push it?....
Years
Bro, I feel for you. ^^ Just use Wichu's Advanced Sprite Editor. Use the Search Bar. I think they're still distributed in a pack which includes: Advanced Sprite Editor, Advanced Sprite Position Editor, and Advanced Pokemon Icon Editor. BUT when using Wichu's Sprite Editor, picture's gotta be in this format:
DO NOT STEAL!!!!!
UNINDEXED. So if you don't see the picture above, it is in this format: Normal Front Shiny Front Normal Back Shiny Back Unindexed Resolution: 256x64.

Actually, it doesn't have to be in that format. It can be each indexed image by itself imported separately. The format you show is the easiest as it will do all of them at once, but not the only one, especially if, for some reason, you require a specific palette and order of colors for it to work. Wichu's will put the background color first and then randomize the rest on an unindexed image, but if the image has more than one purpose, you may want a specific order for your palette, so you can import the indexed images one by one.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 24, 2023
Actually, it doesn't have to be in that format. It can be each indexed image by itself imported separately. The format you show is the easiest as it will do all of them at once, but not the only one, especially if, for some reason, you require a specific palette and order of colors for it to work. Wichu's will put the background color first and then randomize the rest on an unindexed image, but if the image has more than one purpose, you may want a specific order for your palette, so you can import the indexed images one by one.

Yeah, well I didn't know I can import them one by one. :( And of course it's great if you give him the easiest way because that's the PATH TO LEARNING 0:)

karatekid552

Years
Yeah, well I didn't know I can import them one by one. :( And of course it's great if you give him the easiest way because that's the PATH TO LEARNING 0:)

But if you give him choices and he learns both, he has twice the learning and knowledge:p. There is always another way, and the more ways you know, the more choices you have if one isn't working or you need to do it slightly differently.

kearnseyboy6

Aussie's Toughest Mudder
Years
  • Seen Jun 22, 2019
Out of curiosity how many people visit this site to play hacks? Are there stats somewhere?

Also are there boundaries for movesprite? I mean say I have a 20x100 map and the hero is located at say (0,0) and an overworld is located at (20,100) for some reason I can't apply the movesprite fuction on him... it only works on sprites that are within the VBA screen (about 15x11).

However I have no problem doing vice versa. Am I doing something clearly wrong?

GoGoJJTech

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ http://GoGoJJTech.com ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
Years
No, but movesprite hidesprite and showsprite only work in level scripts, so otherwise there is no way

kearnseyboy6

Aussie's Toughest Mudder
Years
  • Seen Jun 22, 2019
No, but movesprite hidesprite and showsprite only work in level scripts, so otherwise there is no way

Are you 100% sure? Because this script works perfectly on a script tile ONLY when sprite 0xA is visible on screen.

#org 0x803EF9
lock
applymovement MOVE_PLAYER 0x8803DFA
applymovement 0x8 0x8803DFD
msgbox 0x8803D90 MSG_NORMAL '"[green_fr]What do you want?\pIf yo..."
trainerbattle 0x3 0x17B 0x0 0x8803DD4
msgbox 0x8803CFC MSG_KEEPOPEN '"[green_fr]Yeah TEAM ROCKET was bro..."
closeonkeypress
fadescreen 0x1
hidesprite 0x3
hidesprite 0x6
hidesprite 0x8
fadescreen 0x0
movesprite 0xA 0x13 0x4
applymovement 0xA 0x8803EEB
waitmovement 0x0
pause 0x20
applymovement 0xA 0x8803E0E
waitmovement 0x0
msgbox 0x8803C9B MSG_NORMAL '"[green_fr]KURT: Way to go [player]..."
warp 0x0 0x12 0xFF 0x5 0x5
setflag 0x208
setvar 0x4028 0x3
release
end

Aemirch

Hobbler
Years
^ You just gave the answer to yourself. Show the sprite, move it, then hide it again. Nothing to do with level scripts.

kearnseyboy6

Aussie's Toughest Mudder
Years
  • Seen Jun 22, 2019
^ You just gave the answer to yourself. Show the sprite, move it, then hide it again. Nothing to do with level scripts.

I am aware, but the first question is why does the sprite have to be visible on the screen to move? Not a hidesprite but actually contained within the VBA grid. If the sprite isn't located in there I can't apply any applymovements, movesprites or showsprties.

It could be maybe the overworlds aren't loaded onto outside the grid which is why the script doesn't work?

karatekid552

Years
I am aware, but the first question is why does the sprite have to be visible on the screen to move? Not a hidesprite but actually contained within the VBA grid. If the sprite isn't located in there I can't apply any applymovements, movesprites or showsprties.

It could be maybe the overworlds aren't loaded onto outside the grid which is why the script doesn't work?

Yes, I have found that sometimes placing OWs off the grid can cause problems. A much better solution is to set a flag in a previous script (much earlier in the game) and then put that flag in the person ID. This will hide the sprite and then when you need it, just clear the flag and use the showsprite command and then move it as you please.

This is utterly, completely, and 100% wrong. Sorry man. However, the sprite will only stay hidden or shown if the sprites Person ID is set or cleared, respectively.

Out of curiosity how many people visit this site to play hacks? Are there stats somewhere?

Also are there boundaries for movesprite? I mean say I have a 20x100 map and the hero is located at say (0,0) and an overworld is located at (20,100) for some reason I can't apply the movesprite fuction on him... it only works on sprites that are within the VBA screen (about 15x11).

However I have no problem doing vice versa. Am I doing something clearly wrong?

I don't know of any stats for playing hacks, but Drfuji said that the Emulation forums account for 1/3 - 2/3 of all PC traffic. 0.o

The movesprite is a weird command, I know that applymovement will work anywhere on the map as long as the sprite is on the map, no matter how far away. In addition, know that there is a movespriteoffscreen command, and that movesprite2 is the only permanent movesprite command. Also, on a 20,100 map, the maximum location is 19,99, which could be your problem:p.

Last edited:

GoGoJJTech

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ http://GoGoJJTech.com ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
Years
Go into the xse ini and find autoupdatecheck.
put autoupdatecheck = 0.
this prevents it from trying to update, which is the reason why it closes! I found this out the hard way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back