• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tool: Tilemap Creator

Years
  • Age 27
  • OH
  • Seen Feb 26, 2024
Update!​

Okay, today I come to everyone with an update to Tilemap Creator! As of this update, the program is now version 3.4!

New Features
  • "Area Draw" - just right click and drag with the mouse!
  • Save/Load 8BPP Tilemaps
  • General Awesomeness

Here is the "Area Draw" in action!
Spoiler:

Just check out the main post for a download~!

Rasen

ASM is very cool!
Years
Update!​

Okay, today I come to everyone with an update to Tilemap Creator! As of this update, the program is now version 3.4!

New Features
  • "Area Draw" - just right click and drag with the mouse!
  • Save/Load 8BPP Tilemaps
  • General Awesomeness

Here is the "Area Draw" in action!
Spoiler:

Just check out the main post for a download~!

This area draw option is just AWESOME!
Thanks a lot for this really nice option :D

I think you should also add an option for changing the order of tileset blocks (for example you click the right mouse button on the tileset block and you can drag it to the place you want (for example to the beginning). This option would be great for "index tile".)

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Apr 4, 2016
WOW is all I can say! Thank you so much for this! It's extremely useful for rom hacking. ;)

Shiny Quagsire

I'm Still Alive, Elsewhere
Years
Great to see more tools by you, keep up the good work. Just a few suggestoins, and you'll probably be seeing me say this a lot, but when you're doing .NET app development, make sure that you target the lowest possible version of .NET. If you don't absolutely need .NET 4.5, don't use it, because if you do it makes it a lot more difficult to run these kinds of things in WINE or Mono for those on other platforms, because as much as I love dual booting I get more work done under Linux.

Also, I'd suggest releasing the source code if you can. I'm not sure what's up with this particular hacking community but in most hacking communities it's common for people to release the source code along with their programs so people can make improvements to them among other things. Plus it's just a nice thing to do and it lets others see how your code works internally allowing them to possibly make their own tools and greater benefit the ROM Hacking community. Look at what happened to A-Map just as an example. It's a great editor that eventually overshadowed EliteMap, but when people started asking for features it wasn't exactly easy to add them in since everything went through one person on that one person's time. In 2009-2010ish Jambo51 made an awesome Day/Night system for Fire Red, but since A-Map couldn't support the format it was ultimately left to rot in the R&D section of the forums. If A-Map had been open source someone could have added support, but since it's not currently open source the only solution is to code an entirely new replacement which may or may not be as good as the original. Just a thought, if this were a bigger tool I'd be more concerned but I'm hoping to see more people open-sourcing their code. :)

Years
  • Age 27
  • OH
  • Seen Feb 26, 2024
Great to see more tools by you, keep up the good work. Just a few suggestoins, and you'll probably be seeing me say this a lot, but when you're doing .NET app development, make sure that you target the lowest possible version of .NET. If you don't absolutely need .NET 4.5, don't use it, because if you do it makes it a lot more difficult to run these kinds of things in WINE or Mono for those on other platforms, because as much as I love dual booting I get more work done under Linux.

Also, I'd suggest releasing the source code if you can. I'm not sure what's up with this particular hacking community but in most hacking communities it's common for people to release the source code along with their programs so people can make improvements to them among other things. Plus it's just a nice thing to do and it lets others see how your code works internally allowing them to possibly make their own tools and greater benefit the ROM Hacking community. Look at what happened to A-Map just as an example. It's a great editor that eventually overshadowed EliteMap, but when people started asking for features it wasn't exactly easy to add them in since everything went through one person on that one person's time. In 2009-2010ish Jambo51 made an awesome Day/Night system for Fire Red, but since A-Map couldn't support the format it was ultimately left to rot in the R&D section of the forums. If A-Map had been open source someone could have added support, but since it's not currently open source the only solution is to code an entirely new replacement which may or may not be as good as the original. Just a thought, if this were a bigger tool I'd be more concerned but I'm hoping to see more people open-sourcing their code. :)

Well thanks, I suppose. I totally get what you're saying, so I'll make those changes and such.
Open-source is definitely planned. I just wanna perfect what I've got before I let it go.

Update

So I have wonderful news! I have now made Tilemap Creator open-source!
You can find a link to the repository on the first post.

Last edited:

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Nov 19, 2023
Hi! I really like this tool, but sadly, it has an error that NTME also has (although not as bad, and actually makes things a bit easier).
Okay, so you know how in NTME, you can import your tileset and then the sphere file as the tilemap, and it loads everything perfectly so that all you have to do is save it as a .raw? However, that has an error when trying it with 8BPP, so I decided to try the tool, and see if that would fix it. However this happened. It's no biggie, I just think it could make stuff like this easier if it's fixed. (If I didn't explain myself correctly, I mean it doesn't build itself like in NTME, but again, no big deal, just think it would be better if it did ^__^)
sxMp0.jpg

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 27
  • OH
  • Seen Feb 26, 2024
Hi! I really like this tool, but sadly, it has an error that NTME also has (although not as bad, and actually makes things a bit easier).
Okay, so you know how in NTME, you can import your tileset and then the sphere file as the tilemap, and it loads everything perfectly so that all you have to do is save it as a .raw? However, that has an error when trying it with 8BPP, so I decided to try the tool, and see if that would fix it. However this happened. It's no biggie, I just think it could make stuff like this easier if it's fixed. (If I didn't explain myself correctly, I mean it doesn't build itself like in NTME, but again, no big deal, just think it would be better if it did ^__^)
sxMp0.jpg

Yeah, I'm not really understanding what your problem is, other than the obvious. What did you do that screws it up (you're not very clear)?
Every time I've loaded a .rmp with the tool, it's worked.

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Nov 19, 2023
Yeah, I'm not really understanding what your problem is, other than the obvious. What did you do that screws it up (you're not very clear)?
Every time I've loaded a .rmp with the tool, it's worked.

It's not much of a problem, really, just makes things more time consuming. When loading an .rmp (8BPP) it doesn't seem to do what happens with NTME in 4BPP (you don't have to build it tile by tile) since 8BPP doesn't work there. If you don't understand/I'm not explaining myself properly I can make a quick video :)

Years
  • Age 27
  • OH
  • Seen Feb 26, 2024
It's not much of a problem, really, just makes things more time consuming. When loading an .rmp (8BPP) it doesn't seem to do what happens with NTME in 4BPP (you don't have to build it tile by tile) since 8BPP doesn't work there. If you don't understand/I'm not explaining myself properly I can make a quick video :)

Actually, making a video would be great help. Do you mean the .rmp map is 8BPP, or my program?

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Nov 19, 2023
Actually, making a video would be great help. Do you mean the .rmp map is 8BPP, or my program?

There, sorry about the really bad quality. Anyways, what I did was the thing with the rmp file, this time 4BPP, opened the tileset, then the tilemap, and it loaded perfectly. Now I was wondering if you could make that for 8BPP, since trying that in NTME will give you an error.

Years
  • Age 27
  • OH
  • Seen Feb 26, 2024
Three years after I first started developing this and I've finally gotten somewhere on a new version. Now, development isn't finished but I've made significant progress and figured I'd show what I've got and ask for feedback.

Major features that I've implemented so far:
  • Much, much faster than older versions
  • Zooming
  • Multiple tile drawing
  • All GBA tilemap formats
  • Lots more behind the scenes

Check out the images in the spoiler.
Spoiler:

At this point the tool is fully functional as a tilemap/tileset creator. It still needs a number of 'advanced' features such as tileset palette manipulation and tilemap shifting. Within the next few days I plan to post a prerelease so that anyone interested can try it out and let me know how it goes.

Blah

Free supporter
Years
Keep up the good work! This is a very user friendly tool which everyone not writing from source should look into adding to their toolbox.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 24, 2023
Is this tool not connected in any way to the similarly named TMC made by itari back in 2013? Because name's the same, layout's the same except a few additions. Not bashing, just asking. Curious. :D

Tool's great by the way. :)

Back