Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon Gaming Central
Reload this Page General Questions & Answers Thread

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Pokémon Gaming Central For topics that aren't necessarily restricted to one game, Pokémon Gaming Central ranges from comparing and contrasting the differences in the gaming generations to discussing the gaming franchise as a whole.
Sort Threads: Console RPGs | Spinoffs

View Poll Results: Too much Mega Evolutions will impact the metagame negatively.
Yes 12 33.33%
No 12 33.33%
Yes, but it's not a real cause for concern. 12 33.33%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 4 Weeks Ago (04:07 PM).
Mars Adept

Nature: Quirky
Where do I find an Eevee in Gen VI?

Old 4 Weeks Ago (04:40 PM).

Quote originally posted by Loriania:
Where do I find an Eevee in Gen VI?
In X/Y you can find Eevee on Route 110 or possibly in a Normal type Friend Safari, while in ORAS they can be found via the DexNav on Route 116.
Old 3 Weeks Ago (04:12 PM).

Hi folks!
As the title says, I've been interested in getting back into the Pokémon games after an extremely long hiatus. I played Silver a bunch back on the GB Color, and its predecessors once or twice. I must have been still in elementary school since I last invested in the series!

In any case, I've been thinking about picking it up again, as I do remember being fond of the system and the adventure. That said, I've no idea where to start. Things were so much simpler with only two generations! Show me a Pokémon these days and I might not recognize it as one! For an old Johto vet returning to the world, where do you reccomend I start?

Thanks!
Old 3 Weeks Ago (05:10 PM). Edited 3 Weeks Ago by flight.
dreamme,myWorld
Platinum Tier

Nature: Quiet
Hey there, Aristo! Wow, I gotta say...you present quite a big question. There's tons of different options out there, and I can definitely relate on how overwhelming it can be to jump right into a game again (although on a lesser scale--I had like zero interest in gaming before I forced myself back into it and it felt kinda weird, haha).

Honestly though, my answer is going to sound pretty biased here, but I love the Hoenn region. If you don't mind a bunch of surfing on water (which is people's biggest qualm even though it's dumb, in my opinion, because you get to dive underwater for a pretty interesting experience) then you're going to have quite the exciting time! Unfortunately, I doubt you're going to find R/S/E at any retailer, so you might have to do some digging online for ORAS, which is the newest main Pokemon game currently out so far.

Try and ease yourself into things--the features might seem a bit overwhelming at first, and I think that might be the biggest thing for you to get accustomed to. There's so many changes as far as overall features and how you interact with your Pokemon and how to EV/IV train (though if you're a casual player, you can ignore this entirely, as it is not required in the slightest), as well as many, many other things. After that, you can jump into D/P/P (preferably Platinum as its the superior game) which is the generations after Hoenn. I like Platinum because it has the Battle Frontier, which is amazing. It's basically several battle facilities in one, and it doesn't even end there. You battle against a set of AI which are usually pretty powerful the farther you go, and each battle facility has its own unique rules. I think it makes for a great experience!

I would recommend X/Y next. It falls within the same generation as ORAS, but I think it's better than Unova, at any rate. I don't hate Black/White or Black/White 2, but I think they're pretty underwhelming games for what its worth. Black/White doesn't have any postgame excitement (except for Battle Subway which is really boring), and Black/White 2 has the Pokemon World Tournament, which to me, was its saving grace entirely as well as Join Avenue. Pokemon World Tournament is basically a tournament where you fight against old E4 members and champions. Ye, you can fight Lance, Red, Blue, Lt. Surge, and I think Cynthia but I can be wrong here, and tons of other old classics, which made B2W2 a blast. Each version also has Black City/White Forest, but I dont think it's really that interesting past the aesthetics, but that's just me.

I hope I didn't bury you in too much information, though. ;___; At any rate, I hope this helps you in your decision! I personally think OR/AS (OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire is the best of the bunch, especially since HeartGold/SoulSilver versions (Johto remakes, essentially) are rather difficult to find nowadays.

» my dreamiverse
Old 3 Weeks Ago (05:49 PM).

Thanks for the reply! I'm going to quote a response from my welcome thread, just to get more coverage here; maybe it might provoke more opinions for you!

Quote originally posted by Aristo:
Thanks for the welcomes!

I think the main appeal for me with these games are the ledgendaries - uncovering their secrets, seeig what they can do, capturing them for yourself, that sort of thing! So I'd unapologetically say that I'd be interested in the games with the most powerful, if not the most interesting ledgendary rosters.

But other than that, I'm really interested in community-based features like trading, battling, socializing over WiFi and the like. I remember when you had to connect your handhelds to do any of that! I'm eager to explore many of the newer features the more contemporary games have introduced, which will most likely manage to hold my attention for a while.

However, I can't say I'm not intimidated by the prospect of playing through several past generations to get caught up. For example, if I go back and jump into gen III or IV, I'd be wary of trying to crawl after everyone who might be wrapping up V and VI. I'm not real sure how the 3DS WiFi works with the newer Pokémon games. Can someone with an older gen still interact with people in higher gens?
Old 3 Weeks Ago (05:59 PM).
Mother Of All Pokemon!!

Thanks for the reply! I'm going to quote a response from my welcome thread, just to get more coverage here; maybe it might provoke more opinions for you!
I just saw this, but if you looking to start a game with alot of legends, I would suggest you to play pokemon OR or AS as you can obtain almost of of the legends in those 2 games and in my opinion those are really fun with lots of this to do once the E4 has been beaten.
My Thread Review ---> HERE
Old 3 Weeks Ago (06:15 PM).
let it rain
Crystal Tier

As the others said, I'd recommend OR/AS since it'll give you a Hoenn fix while allowing you to get adjusted to 6th Gen mechanics as well. Some say it's not as challenging as the original versions, but story-wise it's a huge improvement compared to the original R/S.

Given you're a person who hasn't played since G/S/C Johto, it'd be best you follow the regions in order from when they came out and while it's tricky to get 3rd Gen these days, the aforementioned OR/AS would still give you your fix of those games while still being fresh and updated.
Old 3 Weeks Ago (07:00 PM).

Hi folks!
As the title says, I've been interested in getting back into the Pokémon games after an extremely long hiatus. I played Silver a bunch back on the GB Color, and its predecessors once or twice. I must have been still in elementary school since I last invested in the series!

In any case, I've been thinking about picking it up again, as I do remember being fond of the system and the adventure. That said, I've no idea where to start. Things were so much simpler with only two generations! Show me a Pokémon these days and I might not recognize it as one! For an old Johto vet returning to the world, where do you reccomend I start?

Thanks!
Ah, nice to see another old fan around here! Gen 2 was the last one I really invested in, too.

As to where you should start, well, if you can still find them, I'd go with HGSS. They're Gen 2 remakes, so it's a familiar story and setting, and their mechanics are reasonably modern. (At least, enough to get you into things like Abilities, Natures, the P/S Split, newer moves/Pokémon, and so on.) They're DS games, too, so they can still be played on the newest handheld.

If you want something newer, I'd probably go with either XY or ORAS. XY are a new story/setting, but they're extremely easy and have many callbacks to the older games, while ORAS are remakes of the Gen 3 games that you missed, are also fairly easy, and have many features that XY lack. (Which are necessary if you want to get into competitive.)

Hope this helps!
Old 3 Weeks Ago (07:25 PM). Edited 2 Weeks Ago by Aristo.

Thanks, guys! I think I'm set on ORAS. Since they're remakes of gen III, I can continue where I left off, in a sense and get accustomed to the new features. Also, RNC mentioned being able to obtain lots of ledgendaries in these - that's definitely got my interest. As for which version of ORAS to get, I haven't decided. I'll have to give the unique lists a readover.
If I play ORAS and gather up the legendaries avaliable, can I then go play through the older IV-V games and add rares not in my version of ORAS to my roster?
Old 2 Weeks Ago (11:22 PM).
dreamme,myWorld
Platinum Tier

If I play ORAS and gather up the legendaries avaliable, can I then go play through the older IV-V games and add rares not in my version of ORAS to my roster?
Can you re-word this question, if possible? ^^ Sorry, was a bit confused about what you're specifically looking for!

» my dreamiverse
Old 2 Weeks Ago (11:27 PM).
Black & White
ModeratorCS

Nature: Bold
Send a message via Skype™ to Achromatic
If you're asking whether you can get legendary Pokémon that you can't find in your OR/AS, bring them over from older games to OR/AS and have them in your PokéDex then yes, you can. Just catch them in the older generation games, use PokéBank and send them over to OR/AS or X/Y!
Old 2 Weeks Ago (11:29 PM).
dreamme,myWorld
Platinum Tier

Although you might want to keep in mind that you can't trade Pokemon to and from Gen IV games since Nintendo Wi-fi is dead, unfortunately. :<

» my dreamiverse
Old 2 Weeks Ago (11:32 PM).
Black & White
ModeratorCS

Quote originally posted by flight:
Although you might want to keep in mind that you can't trade Pokemon to and from Gen IV games since Nintendo Wi-fi is dead, unfortunately. :<
Yes, this is true. If you want legendaries in any games from Gen 5 below, you'll have to rely on catching them yourself with any older generation games you have. You can however trade with yourself if you have two consoles. This can be done in the Union Room.
Old 2 Weeks Ago (05:54 PM).

Just downloaded the Pokemon Bank and it's update to 1.2, however, when do I get charged the 4.99 for it? I thought you had to pay when you downloaded it.
Old 2 Weeks Ago (08:18 PM).
Shuriken
ModeratorCS

Send a message via Skype™ to Quajutsu
Quote originally posted by ST2111:
Just downloaded the Pokemon Bank and it's update to 1.2, however, when do I get charged the 4.99 for it? I thought you had to pay when you downloaded it.
You should get charged the first day you use it I think. You weren't given a free trial period or anything like that were you?

Old 2 Weeks Ago (09:33 PM).

Quote originally posted by Quajutsu:
You should get charged the first day you use it I think. You weren't given a free trial period or anything like that were you?
No, I wasn't. However, I downloaded before I started playing Pokemon X and all it said was that I needed to have a Pokemon X and the pokedex in order to use it and then it sent me back to the home page. I probably have to transfer first. Is that right?
Old 2 Weeks Ago (03:39 AM).
Black & White
ModeratorCS

Quote originally posted by ST2111:
No, I wasn't. However, I downloaded before I started playing Pokemon X and all it said was that I needed to have a Pokemon X and the pokedex in order to use it and then it sent me back to the home page. I probably have to transfer first. Is that right?
Go into Bank then you should have the option to pay to use it. It won't let you do anything with it until you've paid so just go in, try and transfer and then it should ask you to pay before you can proceed.
Old 2 Weeks Ago (04:31 AM).
Shuriken
ModeratorCS

Send a message via Skype™ to Quajutsu
That was what I was trying to say, but apparently I wasn't clear :P

Old 1 Week Ago (06:54 PM).

what emulator is the best for games like Pokémon Sweet and Uranium and other games like them if u know can u give me the download link thanks. :3
Old 1 Week Ago (06:57 PM). Edited 1 Week Ago by Achromatic.
Black & White
ModeratorCS

Quote originally posted by DragonSpawn1000:
what emulator is the best for games like Pokémon Sweet and Uranium and other games like them if u know can u give me the download link thanks. :3
Heya, I think you would be better off asking in the ROM Hacking Hub as that is the place emulation/rom hacking here on PC. This specific thread might be the one for you. This place gears more towards discussion on the actual Pokémon video games. I'm sure you can find some sort of answer over there.
Old 1 Week Ago (07:26 PM).

Thanx heaps
Old 1 Day Ago (01:05 PM).

Hey everyone,
I used to watch people play Red & Blue when I was younger. I never owned the game long enough to really get into it until quite recently.
Fire Red is one I decided to start off with and so far I have 23 pokemon and 3 badges. lol

For now, I'm playing it off of an emulator, but I'm planning on getting 2 DS lites with Diamond & Pearl, because my GF wants to get in on the action too. Does this make sense? Where would I go after those games? Black and White for DS? There's so many titles and Fire Red was the game I chose to start off to see if it really grabs me. So far so good! My starter was Charmander and he's evolved. I really wish I got into this many years ago.

This game reminds me of roaming around an rpg like classic Zelda games.
Old 1 Day Ago (02:47 PM).
P-p-p-poker face.

I would go with Ruby/Sapphire or Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire. Diamond/Pearl is ok.

Old 1 Day Ago (04:31 PM). Edited 18 Hours Ago by flight.
dreamme,myWorld
Platinum Tier

Hi there!

Would Platinum be an option by any chance? I would vastly prefer that over D/P, mostly because it's "faster" (surfing is a pain in the ass in Diamond/Pearl; it's so slow and it got fixed in Platinum, it seems, amongst other things). That, and Platinum has Battle Tower/Battle Frontier (I think just Battle Tower but it'll do, anyway), which is pretty nice.

After that, I would highly recommend B/W and B2W2. Usually I wouldn't recommend these games because I personally don't like them, but that's only because I think they're generally pretty lacking as far as content goes, but I will give credit where credit is due: Fifth generation did have a fairly interesting and dark storyline what with Team Plasma, so I think it's generally worth playing for that and that alone.

Plus, B2W2 has the Pokemon World Tournament which is psyducking awesome!! You can battle past gym leaders and champions there and it's super cool and neat and you definitely should try it out! ^_^

After that, you have a choice of either X/Y or OR/AS. I mean, you're not missing a whole lot if you neglect X/Y over OR/AS because Team Flare wasn't really interesting to begin with (I mean, you can if you want for the sake of experiencing character customization since it was a staple in X/Y), but eh. Pretty nice as far as features go because it introduces Pokemon-Aime as well as other things like Super Training, so that's nice.

So! tl;dr:

X/Y

Pros:
  • Overloaded with features. Hard to really get tired of. First-timers can definitely appreciate the 3D graphics.
  • Character customization is a huge boon to this game.
  • I think Kalos brings about a fresh new life to things.
  • Rollerblades instead of a bike!! Plus you can do cool tricks, too!

Cons:
  • Team Flare is a rather disappointing team. This is just me, though. Their plans are...pretty big in nature, but idk, they just...didn't seem all that fluid and interesting to me.
  • X/Y suffers from having a very uninvolved champion for the most part. You'll see what I mean when you play it, but I don't like this.
  • Post-game is pretty disappointing for the most part.
  • The games can get boring a while after you beat the E4 (building upon the last point). There are some small things here and there you could possibly do, but it's likely you'll get bored of them pretty quickly.
  • Rivals are generally ok at the start of the game, but it's hard to really develop a connection with each of them.

Platinum

Pros:
  • Pretty great story.
  • Battle Tower was really enjoyable, even if it was the only battle facility available in Platinum.
  • Sinnoh is a region that thrives in Pokemon myths and lores. If this is something that interests you, then this game might be really your thing!
  • Champion is pretty badass, and apparently a lot of people actually struggle with her.
  • I recommend that you play this first before diving into the fifth/sixth gen games. The reason being is that if you play the later gen games and then go to Platinum, then it's going to feel so weird, and like, a huge step back lmao.
  • Selection of starters are pretty cute (I like turtwig, at least!).

Cons:
  • Disappointing post-game for the most part; although if you're a level-grinder, this might not be too much of a bad thing.
  • You don't really care too much about Team Plasma themselves rather than Cyrus. The other members kinda become irrelevant in the bigger picture. More of a tiny nitpick than anything else, though.

BW & B2W2

Pros:
  • Fantastic story.
  • Building upon the first point, the story focuses heavily on Zekrom/Reshiram (depending on which version you get) and later on in B2W2 focuses on Kyurem, which I think is pretty neat. The concept of fusing these Pokemon becomes the core plot of both games.
  • It certainly has very interesting characters....

Cons:
  • B/W has a mukty post-game. B2W2 fixed this in a way by introducing PWT (Pokemon World Tournament) and Join Avenue as far as additonal things for you to do.
  • Instead of really feeling like a sequel, B2W2 kinda feels like what B/W should've been in the first place, with B2W2 actually building upon that experience. Maybe it's just my super high expectations, but it was kinda a bummer.

I hope this helps!! Please feel free to ask any more questions should you be confused/unsure about something!

» my dreamiverse
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links