• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon Shining Opal [FULL GAME RELEASED]

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
All right. First remark: don't use the format for A-Ptch. My system called it a Trojan and I will not argue it, having been victim to "Best Offers" spyware in the past and remembering what a pain in the derriere that was to remove. Get rid of that immediately as people will not play your game if they try to use that and get the same warning. (Some may even get turned off on hacks completely. It's an appearance thing. It's also the only APS file I've seen; don't change what works and isn't treated as a virus by scanning software.) With that said, if there is a new version that isn't picked up as a Trojan, I will try it again. (Or an old version...)

However, I found the IPS patch for 2.16. I hope that is see that it is not the current version. I have DeSMuNe, which I have not used for a while (should I note that screenshots take random numbers and there is no way to sequence them by filename? Pain in the butt I tell you), and I just put in Visualboy Advance, which seems to work. I presume it will work on the standard edition of the emulator. (I did download one designed apparently for Liquid Crystal specifically, but haven't yet looked at it.)

I'll play with it in the morning, but for now I can report that the patch was a success. I'll start poking around 2morrow. Got my Tirtouga evolved, so other than breeding and training Zoroark and Vullaby (the latter to evolve), my Black activity will be limited for now and I'll analyze this. :) Even if it's not the most current, it will give me some idea of the opening of the game, which is what I am testing, and I hope you can provide a new IPS file in place of in addition to the APS. They say it's a false positive, but having never used it I can't say I trust it.

Cyclone

Last edited:

Mr. Black

Master Of Reality
Years
It's back again !!!!! Great ! I had played beta 1 sometime and i was dissapointed about it's length but it had some great things like the bus system and mikachu . keep at it ;)

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
Played and wandered around Lake Zigger. I see lots of Water, and the cavern will clearly be returned to to Surf in. Making my first game map (this is where you see a general game love of mine, in top-down games I tend to make up the maps, something I can't do in, say, Black and White!). That map is forthcoming right here.

However, I found a couple of buggy speeches. Keep in mind I don't know if these are corrected in the 2.50 APS, but I noticed and am reporting them. If they're already fixed, don't mind my finding them.

psoerror1.png

I am looking f this to get fixed. :)

psoerror2.png

Indeed, the Pokémon rof. is a wonderful guy.

Also, I found a tile bug.

psoerror3.png

Look, Ma! I'm a Ranger!

That's just in the opening town. I'm a little worried where I'll end up walking in the first actual Route!

Oh, and no Trainers yet. So no discussion on that yet. Translation: the difficulty so far is PERFECT. You got the initial battle in there, that's standard (though I didn't expect only two turns for a KO). :) However, after choosing names, the Professor brought up in a speech "Diego and Diego"; if there is a Diego in the storyline, don't suggest Diego as a possible rival name at the start. In order not to be in the fifth element of confusion myself, I have to restart, and I'm only on the first town. I better pick a name like Tornado.

Also, I thought that was just Mew on the title screen, not a special type. Interesting.

Cyclone

Last edited:

Sierraffinity

Desperately trying to retire from ROM hacking
Years
well i think in my opinion you should reduce the number of trainers before the fourth gym........ i mean 61 trainers are a little too much maybe 30-35 will do
Thanks for your opinion!
It's back again !!!!! Great ! I had played beta 1 sometime and i was dissapointed about it's length but it had some great things like the bus system and mikachu . keep at it ;)
Thanks for the comment!
I'm sure I could do that! What I'll do is download the things, patch it (I have a patcher, just have to download this and the ROM), and hope it works on VBA on my first try (new computer to run VBA on); barring any issues (and while taking a break from training and breeding in Black, I tend to go maybe a half hour or hour at a time then plop it on the charger so I never run out of juice during a long session with unfinished business), I can make up maps and jot down notes of trainers in here. I'll refer to that media when offering my opinion. :)

Oh, and I'll be abusing save states in this instance. Having played on the DS now, I have acquired the ability to play better without cheating like that, but while testing out battle sight lines and such I'll need them strategically. ;)

I'll be updating here. :)

Cyclone

All right. First remark: don't use the format for A-Ptch. My system called it a Trojan and I will not argue it, having been victim to "Best Offers" spyware in the past and remembering what a pain in the derriere that was to remove. Get rid of that immediately as people will not play your game if they try to use that and get the same warning. (Some may even get turned off on hacks completely. It's an appearance thing. It's also the only APS file I've seen; don't change what works and isn't treated as a virus by scanning software.) With that said, if there is a new version that isn't picked up as a Trojan, I will try it again. (Or an old version...)

However, I found the IPS patch for 2.16. I hope that is see that it is not the current version. I have DeSMuNe, which I have not used for a while (should I note that screenshots take random numbers and there is no way to sequence them by filename? Pain in the butt I tell you), and I just put in Visualboy Advance, which seems to work. I presume it will work on the standard edition of the emulator. (I did download one designed apparently for Liquid Crystal specifically, but haven't yet looked at it.)

I'll play with it in the morning, but for now I can report that the patch was a success. I'll start poking around 2morrow. Got my Tirtouga evolved, so other than breeding and training Zoroark and Vullaby (the latter to evolve), my Black activity will be limited for now and I'll analyze this. :) Even if it's not the most current, it will give me some idea of the opening of the game, which is what I am testing, and I hope you can provide a new IPS file in place of in addition to the APS. They say it's a false positive, but having never used it I can't say I trust it.

Cyclone

Played and wandered around Lake Zigger. I see lots of Water, and the cavern will clearly be returned to to Surf in. Making my first game map (this is where you see a general game love of mine, in top-down games I tend to make up the maps, something I can't do in, say, Black and White!). That map is forthcoming right here.

However, I found a couple of buggy speeches. Keep in mind I don't know if these are corrected in the 2.50 APS, but I noticed and am reporting them. If they're already fixed, don't mind my finding them.

psoerror1.png

I am looking f this to get fixed. :)

psoerror2.png

Indeed, the Pokémon rof. is a wonderful guy.

Also, I found a tile bug.

psoerror3.png

Look, Ma! I'm a Ranger!

That's just in the opening town. I'm a little worried where I'll end up walking in the first actual Route!

Oh, and no Trainers yet. So no discussion on that yet. Translation: the difficulty so far is PERFECT. You got the initial battle in there, that's standard (though I didn't expect only two turns for a KO). :) However, after choosing names, the Professor brought up in a speech "Diego and Diego"; if there is a Diego in the storyline, don't suggest Diego as a possible rival name at the start. In order not to be in the fifth element of confusion myself, I have to restart, and I'm only on the first town. I better pick a name like Tornado.

Also, I thought that was just Mew on the title screen, not a special type. Interesting.

Cyclone
Everything you've talked about has been changed. You're not going to get anywhere good by using a patch from... I think four years ago? The entire game has since then been remade from scratch. Also, there's a reason I can't use IPS files: my changes go over the 16 MB limit that IPS files have. A-Ptch is definitely a false positive unless you got it from some shady website. Do you have McAfee? It comes up as a false positive on there.

EDIT: I have fixed the problem that forced me over the 16 MB limit and have uploaded the file as an IPS patch! Download it from the same place you downloaded the APS patch from.

Last edited:

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
Didn't realize it was that old. :) I'll do the new patch and note differences. I hope the existing save works; I've already found seven (!) unique Pokémon in Route 1, something I've never seen before in any regular series game. How many Pokémon are in this game? Too bad the two types of grass system isn't present here, it would make it easier to place them in different areas!

Also, one thing I'm not a fan of when you get to the next city, but I will withhold comment while trying a fresh run to see if it still occurs.

Cyclone

Sierraffinity

Years
Didn't realize it was that old. :) I'll do the new patch and note differences. I hope the existing save works; I've already found seven (!) unique Pokémon in Route 1, something I've never seen before in any regular series game. How many Pokémon are in this game? Too bad the two types of grass system isn't present here, it would make it easier to place them in different areas!

Also, one thing I'm not a fan of when you get to the next city, but I will withhold comment while trying a fresh run to see if it still occurs.

Cyclone
No, your save file from the old beta won't work in the Redux. This is because the Redux is a complete reimagining from a fresh ROM.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
No, your save file from the old beta won't work in the Redux. This is because the Redux is a complete reimagining from a fresh ROM.
I discovered that! I went to the existing save in the western region of Gate 1 and saw that my Mikachu had evolved:

http://www.pokecommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=65292&stc=1&d=1342887627

After that, I exited out and the game hung without going back to the prior window. I was still on the map when I loaded the save, I could wander around, and even look at the Town Map in my bag, but the new version obviously needs a new save. Darnit, I had a picture of all the Pokémon I caught and I overwrote it with another screenshot. I'll have to retitle the save and review that, though I don't know if they all exist now in Route 1.

Time to map the new Lake Zigger! I see a resemblence already in the town design, and am actually intrigued by the port entry; putting the boat area there is a VERY interesting idea, forcing a quick quest at the start and eventual town entry through the gatehouse, locking you into the start of the game. Shipment from Mom (yeah, mine wouldn't do that LMAO) was a nice touch. Liking the new version. Haven't visited Oak yet because I like mapping the areas first (also, my time taking screenshots won't count in the playing time since I'm not really "playing", hence save state abuse LMAO). Someday they'll formulate a playthrough or Youtube video guide. I promised one for Liquid Crystal too someday. :)

Cyclone

Sierraffinity

Years
I discovered that! I went to the existing save in the western region of Gate 1 and saw that my Mikachu had evolved:

http://www.pokecommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=65292&stc=1&d=1342887627

After that, I exited out and the game hung without going back to the prior window. I was still on the map when I loaded the save, I could wander around, and even look at the Town Map in my bag, but the new version obviously needs a new save. Darnit, I had a picture of all the Pokémon I caught and I overwrote it with another screenshot. I'll have to retitle the save and review that, though I don't know if they all exist now in Route 1.

Time to map the new Lake Zigger! I see a resemblence already in the town design, and am actually intrigued by the port entry; putting the boat area there is a VERY interesting idea, forcing a quick quest at the start and eventual town entry through the gatehouse, locking you into the start of the game. Shipment from Mom (yeah, mine wouldn't do that LMAO) was a nice touch. Liking the new version. Haven't visited Oak yet because I like mapping the areas first (also, my time taking screenshots won't count in the playing time since I'm not really "playing", hence save state abuse LMAO). Someday they'll formulate a playthrough or Youtube video guide. I promised one for Liquid Crystal too someday. :)

Cyclone
If you want, to save you some time, I can just send you images exported from Advance-Map.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
Since you like grabbing them yourself (and since I don't know exactly what maps you want) I guess I'll leave you to it.
It's fine with me. :) It doesn't take long, and besides, I'm unemployed and it's the weekend, I don't have much else to do.

As for the first town now, it's exponentially better than it was before. Exponentially. I wish starter towns looked more like this, to be honest. I think B2/W2 is the first to actually make a bigger starting area, complete with an overlook out onto the Route beyond (Route 19) and even with a Gym and Pokémon Centre right in the town (just like you have it and a Pokémart, the earlier-gen version, minus the Gym, but lots of bars LMAO); I hope in the future Game Freak decides to stay in that direction and make more involved starting towns that can later be revisited for a future part in the story. Makes a starter town much more than someone's home that he never sees again (pending a trip to get his Running Shoes, visit the professor, or Flying).

Cyclone

cooley

///Keepin' it simple
Years
I remember this one, a LOT has been improved. If it wasn't for the PikaMew(?) on the title screen, I don't think I would have noticed it.

*Adds to list of ROMs to play*

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
Nice to see another post on this. :)

I have played this hack up to the Saren City area. As designed, the little outlet on Route 16 in this version is way too strong for the average Trainer, and I would get a couple of your Pokémon into the teens before even attempting to go there. With that said, once you can capture a couple of the Pokémon there, you have what you really need for the event which I have promised not to spoil with your villain Rival on Route 2.

Also note that after this event, you can't backtrack for a while, so if you plan to continue east of Saren you would be wise to have as many of the Route 16 Pokémon as you can get. I only captured two and carried on to battle; I won, but not being able to head back to Route 2 and having to head to Route 3, where the Pokémon difficulty goes up by about 10 levels...I called it quits for the beta. LMAO

I know Diego is working on this hack now, and I'm sure this is something that will change. It was my biggest complaint as far as I am in the hack, though I did hear of the large number of forest trainers.

Cyclone

Sierraffinity

Years
I remember this one, a LOT has been improved. If it wasn't for the PikaMew(?) on the title screen, I don't think I would have noticed it.

*Adds to list of ROMs to play*
Thanks for commenting and playing!
I'm overjoyed that work has been resumed on this hack, I really enjoyed the first beta.
Thanks!

PS: No, I am not ignoring Cyclone's posts, we talk about these things on MSN.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
Haha, no one accused you of ignoring me. :) I didn't feel ignored.

Cyclone

Years
  • Seen Apr 9, 2013
Okay, I'm lazy and didn't take the time to read every page of the thread. I have a question though. How do you use the Pokegear again? It's pressing the r button, right?

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
Okay, I'm lazy and didn't take the time to read every page of the thread. I have a question though. How do you use the Pokegear again? It's pressing the r button, right?
In short, yes.

However, it's not programmed to work in Rinto yet. You see a message saying as much, and "maybe in B3".

Cyclone

Years
  • Seen Apr 9, 2013
In short, yes.

However, it's not programmed to work in Rinto yet. You see a message saying as much, and "maybe in B3".

Cyclone

Yeah I did after I posted that -.-v sorry for bothering you and thanks for replying.
Oh, I have another question, I'm really new to these hacks stuff so if you release B3, how do I use it with my old save data?

Sierraffinity

Years
Yeah I did after I posted that -.-v sorry for bothering you and thanks for replying.
Oh, I have another question, I'm really new to these hacks stuff so if you release B3, how do I use it with my old save data?
(Just to let you know, I'm the creator, not Cyclone)
You probably won't be able to use your old save file, sorry to let you know.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
Also, it wasn't bothering me at all. I just hang out in this forum (not just this thread) and try to provide what help and info I can. :)

Also, I always feel it more appropriate to play a beta as a fresh start. Things can change in the earliest areas; for example, if you were to catch a Lv.10 Spearow in an area that changes to have no Lv.10 and no Spearows, it wouldn't be a fair assessment of the later parts of the beta to continue using that Spearow/Fearow. You're better off starting from scratch.

Cyclone

Back