• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
He said that emerald had that type of thing for Aqua and Magma '-_-

That I did. Some people just don't get the nuances of English, evidently.

And either way, Emerald is based on FR's engine, so it could have it if it had existed in FR.

Not true. Fire Red and Emerald were developed in parallel. Emerald has more in common with Ruby and Sapphire than Fire Red. Fire Red is probably the best coded (they had a very tight focus when coding it, making it easier to code) of the gen 3 games, but lacks many of Emerald's better features.

Hence, RS ~~ E ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ FRLG is probably how it operates in terms of like for like coding.

A good example of this is the Pokédex functionality (I mean in terms of background code, as well as the GUI presented to the player). FRLG's is nothing like RSE's, and Emerald's is very similar to RS's with some minor changes.

Years
  • Seen Mar 13, 2014
Just don't put a new image OVER the portion of Press Start. When you put new parts, add it below the original image not Over it. And use the same BG Palette of the Start to keep it blinking. Let me know when you don't understand.

Well, I've been trying what you said and it's just not working for me... xD I think it has to do with the tile mapping, because whenever I import my new tilemap into the rom, no more blinking "Press Start".

Never mind! For anyone else curious for the answer, you have to cover "Press Start" in F tiles in NTME when you map it. :D

Last edited:
Years
Okay, this isn't really hacking related but tangentially it is so I'm gonna shoot anyway.

A lot of hacks, like Sienna and Stardrop, use a remade Verdanturf tile made by Fangking Omega. I know he has a thread/collection somewhere with more tiles like it, but I can't find it anywhere - his deviantART is practically empty, there appears to be no thread in the Pixel Art section. Does anyone have a copy or link?

edit:
pokemonmoonshine01yc3.png

For reference, this is the tile.

Taken from here.

Years
  • Seen Jun 13, 2022
I know that there are a lot of guides out there, but I've never found anything specifying the best way to clear out as much content as possible for building your own game.

What started as a small mod is starting to turn into a full game a bunch of my friends want to help me with, and with Advance Map already being iffy on deleting maps, how do most people create entire new games? Just edit maps already there and delete all of the events and etc. or what?

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
Years
I know that there are a lot of guides out there, but I've never found anything specifying the best way to clear out as much content as possible for building your own game.

What started as a small mod is starting to turn into a full game a bunch of my friends want to help me with, and with Advance Map already being iffy on deleting maps, how do most people create entire new games? Just edit maps already there and delete all of the events and etc. or what?

Most people just edit the existing maps and remake/ edit the events on them rather than deleting anything.

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023

Most people just edit the existing maps and remake/ edit the events on them rather than deleting anything.
I personally like to work from scratch, and delete all events. There's a tool somewhere called "ROM Purger" or something, and it allows you to delete all events on any map. There's also another feature that lets you literally clear EVERYTHING on the map, even the tiles, but its kinda buggy. The event deleter works just fine however.

Akiba

[img]http://i.imgur.com/o3RYT4v.png[/img]
Years
I've inserted a custom RAW of the World Map in FireRed by UnLZ.GBA, however, since it only reads Lz77 images, there is no 'original' RAW to replace, and thus none to be repointed, as the World Map RAWs in FR/LG are not in Lz77 format.

While browsing the the fora, I happened to find that the pointer for the actual RAW to be displayed in a town map is located at the offset 0xC035C. I was able to successfully repoint the map data with a Hex Editor.

However, I still do not know where the offset containing the pointer for the palette is located. If anyone knows its location, please share it with me.

Also,

A lot of the current FireRed/LeafGreen hacks now are using JPAN's Cleanup Patch, which removes all person and event scripts, as well as signposts and warps.

This can be found here.

Of course, this is followed by his Hacked Engine, which provides extra free space and support for sixty thousand overworlds, among many others.

This can be found here.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 24, 2023
Few questions:

1) Does Wichu's sprite editor overwrite the old image data with FFs when it repoints new images?
2) What is the offset for the script of the Intro in FireRed? Not his dialog, I mean the entire intro. Not the text but the commands in XSE.
3) Why does JPAN's engine gives errors on the original hero OW when used on a saved game? It always shows a Fishing OW.

I personally like to work from scratch, and delete all events. There's a tool somewhere called "ROM Purger" or something, and it allows you to delete all events on any map. There's also another feature that lets you literally clear EVERYTHING on the map, even the tiles, but its kinda buggy. The event deleter works just fine however.
Can you send me a copy of this "ROM Purger" thing? I have been searching for 3 hours and nothing.

Last edited:

karatekid552

What happens if I push it?....
Years
Few questions:

1) Does Wichu's sprite editor overwrite the old image data with FFs when it repoints new images?
2) What is the offset for the script of the Intro in FireRed? Not his dialog, I mean the entire intro. Not the text but the commands in XSE.
3) Why does JPAN's engine gives errors on the original hero OW when used on a saved game? It always shows a Fishing OW.

1)I'm pretty sure it leaves the images, as I have replaced quite a few sprites with it and it has never opted to put sprites back where they were, and I haven't noticed any new free space with it.

2)It isn't a script.

3)ummm.... what? What exactly are you using? 1.0, 1.1, or the Tool? I have never encountered this problem.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 24, 2023
1)I'm pretty sure it leaves the images, as I have replaced quite a few sprites with it and it has never opted to put sprites back where they were, and I haven't noticed any new free space with it.

2)It isn't a script.

3)ummm.... what? What exactly are you using? 1.0, 1.1, or the Tool? I have never encountered this problem.

1) OK thanks.

2) Then what is it? Can't I edit it to add a showpokepic command? I wanted to show another trainer. No real way to view it? Just A-text?

3) I use Fire Red Hacked Engine 1.1. In the naming process, it shows a "ready to throw a fishing bait" OW. and when you walk it does the same.

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
Years
2) Then what is it? Can't I edit it to add a showpokepic command? I wanted to show another trainer. No real way to view it? Just A-text?
The in-game scripting engine uses asm instructions to execute everything.
For example, that "showpokepic" command actually calls for a certain asm routine and executes it. This might sound confusing but the game doesn't even know how to execute script instructions just as "showpokepic" or "lock".
Instead, it executes asm routines that these commands are "defining it to execute".

So to answer to your question, the only way to edit the intro is through assembly. Everything has literally "something" to do with assembly (even "mapping").

Intro editing can be really difficult without programming experience, but what you can do quite very easily is to change the length of the text datas that are being displayed during the intro. For this, you simply repoint the text datas using a hex editor.

Last edited:
Years
Hey all, so I'm following this tutorial to try and change the world map (FR BRPE). Everything appeared to work correctly, but when I try to open the map in game I get this:

Save failed.
Checking the backup memory...
Please wait.
"Time required:
about 1 minute"

and then

Save completed.
"Please press the A Button."

And then a black screen...help?

karatekid552

What happens if I push it?....
Years
3) I use Fire Red Hacked Engine 1.1. In the naming process, it shows a "ready to throw a fishing bait" OW. and when you walk it does the same.

Using the patch? On a clean Rom? That shouldn't happen, though, if you used the tool, it is quite likely because the tool has a false pointer on that routine (which I plan on fixing at some point in time).

If it is the patch, just try again.

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
Does anyone know what determines what region a map appears in? Maps appear to affect the world map regardless of the world map flags set.

It's determined by a set of arrays in the ROM. These arrays are terminated with the byte 0xC5 (as 0xC5 is the highest map ID in FR). It searches through each array, one by one, and if it finds the map name ID, it stops.

The exception to this rule is if the map name is less than 0x8F (so, 0x8E and down), then it automatically appears in Kanto.

It's relatively simple to redefine which maps appear in Kanto, and just as easy to define which maps appear elsewhere by repointing the arrays.

The Kanto definition byte is at 0xC0064 and the arrays start at 0x3F1AA4 and end at 0x3F1AFF (Total data size) with Sevii Islands 1 starting at 0x3F1AA4, Sevii Islands 2 starting at 0x3F1AC2 and Sevii Islands 3 starting at 0x3F1AE0.

By changing these bytes around (and repointing if necessary) you can define which map name appears on which map quite easily.

ETA: The world map flags only control the availability of flight spots, additional information and the colour of the minor locations on the world map, nothing more.

Years
  • Seen May 15, 2013
I'm having a weird bug in my Fire Red(U) hack where the trainer AI tries to use blue scarfs on their sleeping Pokemon every turn and only during their turn. It doesn't freeze the game either.

I guess my question is does anyone know the offset for where the AI determines what items to use for status effects?

I tried to use an item editor to remove the pointers for blue scarfs, and even with edited data the trainers tried to use blue scarfs. I've also use A-trainer to check the trainers items and none of them actually have blue scarfs.

Maybe it's a battle script problem?

Regardless of which could someone please point me to the right offsets or maybe guide me through figuring it out if you've had a similar problem?

Thanks.

GoGoJJTech

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ http://GoGoJJTech.com ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
Years
I've had the same problem, but with hard stones. They even healed the hp lol
this happens when you repoint the trainer table.

Years
  • Seen May 15, 2013
I've had the same problem, but with hard stones. They even healed the hp lol
this happens when you repoint the trainer table.

Oh man.. How did you handle it? Should I completely move the table or?

(forgive any ignorance in my question, I haven't dealt much with any of the tables)

but iirc I did expand it about 20 slots sometime last month..

GoGoJJTech

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ http://GoGoJJTech.com ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
Years
It had enough as is already, but the truth is you shouldnt of done that. A-trainer was still a beta earlier, and it is buggy in this action only. You have to use your backup and retry

Years
  • Seen May 15, 2013
It had enough as is already, but the truth is you shouldnt of done that. A-trainer was still a beta earlier, and it is buggy in this action only. You have to use your backup and retry

Poop that's a long time ago.. do you know where the clean table ends at by chance? Im going to try to copy and paste in a hex editor(lol i've done way to much to the map/pokemon to not try it)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back