• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

A couple worldbuilding questions...

Farasha

The Eevee Lady
Years
I've been bunnied for a story, and although I haven't written in the Pokemon fandom for I don't know how many years, I think this one might actually be pretty good. But I'm stuck with some questions.

- Anywhere in canon is there any indication that the law enforcement actually does something about Team Rocket and other organizations like them? It's been at least a decade since I've watched the anime and I never read the manga.

- What, exactly, do Pokemon Rangers do? Is there a canonical difference between rangers and law enforcement? Would it be similar to the difference between the FBI and Park Rangers?

- You would think that with most of the world of Pokemon's culture revolving around the Pokemon themselves, there would be special branches of law enforcement dealing specifically with Pokemon-related crimes, wouldn't you?

Negrek

Am I more than you bargained for yet?
Years
1. Well, Officer Jenny will periodically get called in to deal with TR in the anime, although Ash 'n' Co. are usually the ones who ultimately repulse them. I don't recall there being any indication that the police force was actively trying to infiltrate/eliminate the Rockets, rather than just coming in to stop them when they'd been sighted. However, this is likely just because Ash doesn't pay attention/get involved in that kind of stuff; it's reasonable to assume that they're doing something to try and stop the threat. Also, in the anime, Lance was seen infiltrating one Rocket establishment (Lake of Rage), so it's likely that the E4, and maybe the gym leaders as well, are working to deal with the problem. Although Lance is in that canon a part of the "G-men," an extremely unknown organization that may or may not be a part of the normal police force.

In the games, I can't recall the police ever doing anything save being trainers for you to battle at night. Special never makes mention of police that I know of; TR is dealt with by the Gym Leaders and occasionally E4 members, plus the protagonists.

2. I've never played either Ranger game, so I'm not the best one to answer this question. From what I understand, Rangers protect pokémon and their habitats specifically, and I think most of their work is done in the wild, rather than dealing with, say, trainer-pokémon relations. I don't know if they're related to any law-enforcement agencies.

3. Most definitely.

Years
  • Seen May 11, 2009
Don't expect my answers to be canon in any way, it's just the way I've looked at them in my personal "version" of the Pokemon setting, so to speak.

- Anywhere in canon is there any indication that the law enforcement actually does something about Team Rocket and other organizations like them? It's been at least a decade since I've watched the anime and I never read the manga.

In my "interpretation" of the Pokemon world, the Rockets have been dealt with by the laws, and are more of an Emanuel Goldstein-esque scapegoat than an actual threat.

- What, exactly, do Pokemon Rangers do? Is there a canonical difference between rangers and law enforcement? Would it be similar to the difference between the FBI and Park Rangers?

Again, in my story, the Rangers are more like a national police force that operations without juristiction limits, while the other police forces are limited to their base cities.

- You would think that with most of the world of Pokemon's culture revolving around the Pokemon themselves, there would be special branches of law enforcement dealing specifically with Pokemon-related crimes, wouldn't you?

What do you mean by Pokemon-related crimes? Crimes committed by Pokemon themselves, or crimes comitted with the aid of Pokemon?

Farasha

The Eevee Lady
Years
I mean crimes committed to or involving Pokemon. Like... in Gen I, they mention that Farfetch'd's numbers are falling because people like to eat them in soup. You would think that there must be some crazy activist group (Pokemon's equivalent of PETA, lol) trying to get that stopped... and they'll eventually lobby poaching laws and catching laws and all kinds of crap.

I mean, I'm probably putting way too much political and legal thought into a game made for ten-year-olds, but they haven't really considered the mass societal repurcussions of having supernaturally-powered SENTIENT animals. Pokemon are smart, at least most of them are.

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
Years
I'm probably putting way too much political and legal thought into a game made for ten-year-olds, but they haven't really considered the mass societal repurcussions of having supernaturally-powered SENTIENT animals. Pokemon are smart, at least most of them are.

D:

Thats what makes Pokemon so great, adults like us can make them seem darker, and more evil.

I would guess that Rangers are the Pokewolrd's version of PETA. But they are probably closer to EPA.

I see Team Rocket kinda like the Mob, the police are doing something about it, but the children's show does not show the bloodshed.

Law enforcement (Jenny) is more like your local Police Department. You know, harassing you for speeding and such.

Lukespade

Poke'mon Author
Years
Well I'd say there are indications that Team Rocket have been influenced by the law because in Mewtwo Returns after Metwo teleports the Rockets to the airbase, Giovanni says "we better get out of here before the Police start to suspect something.

Pokemon Rangers deal with natural disastors in the canon world and they deal with random stuff in the games. You start out with natural disasters and move into defeating organizations. Also, if you want to see how a canon Ranger works you should watch Pokemon Ranger and the Temple of the Sea.

Back