• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Survey: What do you feel is the most important aspect of a Pok?mon ROM hack?

Knyte

Protector of Pokemon Realms
Years
Even though it's not in the choices. The theme. The theme determines a lot in a pokemon game. The region (how it looks, which is needed in the game (deserts, tundra, huge mountains, etc), what the featured pokemons look like, what the game's exclusive feature is (XY being beauty or gene |maybe referring to life|, thus customization of female and male; mega evolution not being exclusive but gene related and first introduced to the games), storyline (like the next poke game revolving around zygarde and quite possibly 'flower'). and most of these affect the whole game. That's just what I think. :)

Vaigne

The Dark Dragon King Appears
Years
For me it would be a tie between story, direction, and grinding scale. By that I mean some way of telling me (or at least giving me an idea) of where I should be headed next. I have played a lot of ROMs, Pokemon or otherwise, that have left me wondering around in sections I have already been to looking for a quick scene or new dialogue from NPCs in hopes of telling me I am progressing somewhat. The grinding, however, does refer to Pokemon ROMs. Strictly because there are a few ROMs I absolutely love because the story is so compelling, yet by the time I make it to the second gym leader I'm behind their weakest pokemon by 2-3 levels (which I feel is normal) and need to go train in a nearby route only to discover the wild pokemon are still at or below level 10 with the occasional 12 or 13. Because of that I just lose interest in an otherwise expertly done story.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Oct 24, 2015
Storyline IMO, it is what keeps me pushing forward in a game, when the story doesn't interest me i kinda switch off and stop playing the game or just playing without thinking.

tudou

also: Datudou, Cyanyans
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen today
I mainly look for enjoyable gameplay when I play a hack. I enjoy challenging gameplay, but definitely not punishing gameplay. A new story would be great and all, but if the level curve becomes a level cliff, the enjoyability for me plummets.
Personally, I also want to be guided away from the norm. I want to try using Pokemon I wouldn't use otherwise, things like Delcatty in Firered Advanced or Furret in Yet Another Fire Red Hack.
Dialogue is also a huge factor for me. Throw in a few references to something I get and I'll chuckle. Make really tedious, uninspired dialogue and I will be sick of it. I played Light Platinum, but stopped after the first league due to how atrocious the game's dialogue was. It was basically all the normal NPCs spouting things from a Prima Strategy Guide.

J B

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jan 13, 2023
For me it would be the length of the game, the relative lack of content after the elite 4 in the originals always frustrated me.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Dec 5, 2015
How about "battles"? Stuff like interesting movesets, well-designed trainer compositions, appropriate wild pokemon. You know, the little things.

Cassandra

Transgender Queen
Years
I would normally say story is an important aspect, but in rom hacks this doesnt seem to be the case. 99% of rom hackers happen to be mediocre writers, and their poorly written stories detract from the game greatly. Oftentimes the rom hacker forces in a sloppy "dark/mature" story that isn't actually dark or mature, but only dark or mature in theme. Unless there's a sudden increase in general story quality across rom hacks, I'm going to have to say more efforts should be put into gameplay and features.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Dec 9, 2016
I would normally say story is an important aspect, but in rom hacks this doesnt seem to be the case. 99% of rom hackers happen to be mediocre writers, and their poorly written stories detract from the game greatly. Oftentimes the rom hacker forces in a sloppy "dark/mature" story that isn't actually dark or mature, but only dark or mature in theme. Unless there's a sudden increase in general story quality across rom hacks, I'm going to have to say more efforts should be put into gameplay and features.
I've noticed that "dark and mature" stories are a trend in rom hacks. I wonder what the cause of that is? Some subconscious shame of liking pokémon games that are aimed at kids, and therefore a need to write an "adult" story for a rom hack?

Years
I'd say Storyline is the most important thing for me though the way the story is written makes a big impact as well. I also want a game to be a good challenge, although perhaps not as challenging as Dark Rising :P

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen today
For me, it's the pregame, the build up to when you get started (like walking back and forth between the first and second town in Firered). If it's long/boring, I personally would put it down and pull out another game.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 24, 2015
I'll be honest OP, those results are really inconclusive when you look at what hacks are popular nowadays. The most popular hacks ride on a plentiful feature list, and hardly have any substance of a true, real story. Just my two cents though, nice poll

Back