• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Naturelocke Challenge

Years
Introduction :: What's a Naturelocke?

Hello, challenger! I see you've stumbled upon the Naturelocke Challenge. You're probably wondering what this is. Does this have to do with the natures of Pokémon? Or does it have to do with the trees and grass kind of nature? The answer is the former.

I came up with this challenge while I was supposed to be sleeping, in a cabin my family stays in every year. I was wide awake and wanted to create something. I took out my notebook and a flashlight and got to work. The fruit of my efforts was this challenge, in which Pokémon's natures dictate what they can do.

Okay, so what are the rules?

The ruleset of a Naturelocke is intended to make the game more challenging (duh.) First off, the normal Nuzlocke rules, as well as some optional, allowed clauses. Again, these clauses are OPTIONAL. You don't have to use them if you don't want to.

1.) If it faints, it's dead. Either release it or place it in a graveyard/Heaven box.
1a. BS Clause: If you think a death is truly unfair, you can "call BS" and revive it. I know it may be a bit to permissive, but it makes it a little more fair since the challenge is supposed to be hard. However, you can't call BS on every death. If you switched your Quagsire into a Tangrowth and it got 4x SE'd, tough frijoles. If your Vaporeon flinched 3 times in a row and died from the opposing Arcanine's critical Flamethrower, go ahead, that's hax. You get the gist.
1b. Unlike in other 'lockes, a whiteout (having your whole team wiped) does not mean game over unless there is nothing else in the PC. Instead, you are allowed to box the wiped team and build from boxed 'mons.
1c. Cat Claws: Catlike Pokémon (Eeveelutions, those explicitly stating that they are a cat, and Zangoose) have 9 lives. When they reach 0, they die.

2.) You can only catch the first thing you see in each area.
2a. Dupes Clause: If the first encounter is a Pokémon you already have or belongs to the same evolutionary line as a Pokémon you have, you are allowed to skip the encounter.
2b. Shiny Clause: You are permitted to catch shinies in any situation. It's your choice if you can use it or not.
2c. Legendary Clause: You can catch legendaries regardless whether or not they are your first encounter. I know it seems a little crazy, but the Naturelocke ruleset will make it more difficult for them to be game-breakers, and you aren't forced to use them.
2d. Gift/Static Clause: Gift and static (the ones that you have to talk to) Pokémon can be caught regardless of area.

3.) Nickname Clause: You have to nickname every Pokémon you catch, even legendaries. This establishes a stronger bond between you and your digital battle buddies, so it rips your heart out even more if they die. :)​

I know the rules so far seem a little too fair with the allowed clauses, but here comes the more challenging part. Like previously stated, a Pokémon's nature dictates what the 'mon can do, both in battle and in the field. First, here are some important points:
• Rules in GREEN are optional, and thus only have to be used if you want to.
• If you decide to use a rule that dictates the team slot the Pokémon must occupy, you are free to ignore that during grinding.
• If a Pokémon has a nature that limits what kinds of moves it can use, but cannot learn those kinds of moves (or requires a great deal of trouble to learn them), you are free to ignore that and use the rest of that nature's rules instead.
• Rules such as that of Relaxed, Lax, and Calm, in which a Pokémon must learn any moves of certain types, aren't as bad as you think. If a Pokémon can learn a more powerful move of a mandatory type, you can replace a weaker move of said type. So, for instance, a Relaxed Ludicolo could have Giga Drain, Surf, and two other moves instead of Giga Drain, Absorb, Mega Drain, and Surf. The gist is that, if a Pokémon can learn any of the mandatory types, it must end up with at least one of those moves on its set.
• "Heal" refers to both health and status curing.

Now, here are the specifics:

Hardy :: These Pokémon are pretty mild-mannered. They don't tire easily, and they can use all sorts of moves. They also don't mind being HM slaves.

Lonely :: These Pokémon tend to be loners, so no Pokémon on their team can share their exact typing. However, if a Lonely Pokémon is dual-typed, it is welcome to share single types. (i.e. Trash Wormadam can be on the same team as a Beedrill and/or a Steelix, but not a Scizor because they both have the Bug and Steel typing.) Also, after every 5 trainer battles, they like to take some time off from battling and be alone. They are not allowed to battle again until another team member levels up, but they can stay on the team.

Brave and Bold :: These Pokémon are like blazing flames bursting with courage and energy. They can only use special attacks and recoil moves, and can only be healed by non-Pokémon Center means at red health. Pokémon Centers can be used at any level of health, though. They can only occupy the first or second team slot due to their leadership qualities. If they are sent out against a Pokémon that has a type advantage, they will stay in and fight it.

Adamant :: These Pokémon stick to their beliefs and decisions like glue. If they can learn any moves that trap and then confuse them, such as Petal Dance or Outrage, they must. Once in battle, they will refuse to switch out until they either faint the opposing Pokémon or die.

Naughty :: These Pokémon like to disobey the rules and go their own way. If they can learn any Dark- or Ghost-type moves, they must. Every turn, use a random number generator (RNG) set from 1-8 to determine their action. If a 1, 2 or 3 is rolled, they must use a move. If a 4 or 5 is rolled, they must heal, regardless of health or status. If a 6 or 7 is rolled, they must switch out. If an 8 is rolled, they will choose to follow whatever decision you make. They will refuse to learn weak HMs such as Cut, but will gladly learn more powerful ones like Surf.

Docile :: These Pokémon tend to avoid fighting due to their pacifist ways, so they can only use status moves and HMs, the latter applying to both battles and the field. Docile 'mons won't fight in major battles (gyms, E4, crime bosses.)

Relaxed, Lax, and Calm :: These laid-back Pokémon like to, well, relax. They don't like the quick, sudden movements of priority moves such as Quick Attack and Sucker Punch, and prefer status moves or those of the Water, Normal, Grass, and Psychic types. So, if they can learn any of those kinds of moves, they have to. In battle, said types of moves will be used over other types that could be in the Pokémon's moveset.

Impish :: These Pokémon like to play pranks on others when they least expect it. After each gym, if an Impish Pokémon is in your party, use a RNG set from 1-6. Whatever number is "rolled," the Pokémon occupying that slot will have their item stolen from them and given to the Impish one. If the RNG chooses the Impish Pokémon, no item is stolen. If the 'mon is already holding an item, they have to give back the item to its orginal owner. If the chosen 'mon has no item, the Impish one gives up and waits until the next gym.

Timid :: These Pokémon are too afraid to fight against Dark, Ghost, Poison, and Dragon 'mons. They can only hold single-use items because they usually drop them in fright anyway. They can only use stat boosters, sound-based moves, switch-out moves, and moves with 70 power or less.

Hasty :: These Pokémon love speed, so if any priority moves can be learnt, they must be. They must be faster than the opposing 'mon to heal or switch out. They are intimidated by Dark, Ghost, Bug, and Dragon Pokémon, and have to switch out regardless of speed or advantage.

Serious :: These Pokémon tend to keep a straight face and a stormy mood. They can only deal neutral damage to opponents, so no super effective moves are allowed. They can only learn one HM, and must have at least 2 STAB moves in order to use said HM outside of battle.

Jolly :: These Pokémon are upbeat and fun to be around. If they are on the team when an Impish Pokémon steals an item, use a RNG from 1-4 to determine if the Jolly Pokémon will give back the item. If 1 or 2 are rolled, it will fail, but if 3 or 4 are rolled, the deed will be successful and the Pokémon can keep their item. If a Jolly Pokémon does not participate in an important battle but chooses to cheer the team on instead, a Pokémon can cheat death, but only once before the Elite 4 and once during the E4.

Naïve :: These Pokémon are innocent and inexperienced. They don't know about TMs and HMs, so if they are taught one, they have to forget all about a STAB move in exchange. In important battles, they will switch out upon being struck by a critical hit because they have no idea what happened.

Modest :: These generous Pokémon think little of themselves and more of their teammates. If they can learn an important TM or use an evolution item, they will first offer it to their teammates. If another team member can learn the move or use the item, the Modest Pokémon will give it to them. If not, it's all theirs. In games where TMs are infinite, they are welcome to any TM. They politely refuse to be healed in battle if another teammate is in critical condition. Again, if not, they can heal all they want.

Mild :: These mild-mannered 'mons can only use Normal moves and status to deal damage. They will sit out during important battles and give their held item to the Pokémon who needs it the most for the battle.

Quiet :: These shy Pokémon cannot use sound-based moves or eat berries they don't like the flavor of, regardless of effect.

Bashful :: If a Pokémon of the opposite gender and same egg group as a Bashful 'mon is on the same team, they can only occupy slots that are next to each other. If there is a chance to breed them, they must. However, if it has already been paired with a Pokemon before and said Pokemon dies or leaves the team, it is not required to do this again. Bashful Pokémon only can eat sweet berries, regardless of effect. [color="pink]•[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Orange"]•[/color] Rash :: These Pokémon tend to act on impulse in stressful or angering situations. They can only learn damaging moves, and if they are critical'd, their next turn has to be used to strike back. If an Impish Pokémon steals an item from a Rash 'mon and it is not given back, the Rash Pokémon will throw a fit and not be able to participate in the next battle.

Gentle :: Arceus has smiled down on these kind Pokémon and freed them from any rules. They can be used in any way.

Sassy :: These Pokémon have both sharp moves and tongues. They can only use moves with over 50 base power and refuse to learn HMs or eat berries they don't like.

Careful :: These cautious Pokémon will switch out if they are at a type disadvantage. However, if they have a good counter to that advantage, they will choose to stay battle and try to win. If they are critical'd, they will switch out and must be healed next turn.

Quirky :: These Pokémon go for the odd approach. They cannot use STAB moves, and they don't like having two moves of the same type. They love collecting random things, so they must always hold an item when it is possible. WIP: Randomized quirks

That's a lot of information. I bet you won't even do the challenge.

Actually, I'm very excited to do this challenge! I will be playing through White2 with this ruleset, and the run will be on the ZetaBoards Nuzlocke forums in StoryLocke form. I had a lot of fun making this challenge.

If you have any suggestions or comments, just ask. If you want to use this ruleset for a documented run, make sure to give me credit! Also, if you would please give me a link to the run as well. I would love to see how people play through this.

Want to do the challenge yourself?

Username:
Game:

Yep, it's pretty simple. ^.^ If you beat the Elite 4, come back and tell me your team so I can add you to the Hall of Fame, okay?

Challengers

Spoiler:

Hall of Fame

Spoiler:

Credit

• Thanks to Arrow-Jolteon of Pokémon Crossroads for:
- This rule for Bold and Brave: "If they are sent out against a Pokémon that has a type advantage, they will stay in and fight it."
- The idea of a list of quirks for Quirky 'mons

~Mewquazabsol

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen May 17, 2023
I really like this idea. it would make the game feel like a role-play/ fan ficion, where your pokemon have their own personality and act by it.
but maybe you should simplify it a bit.
for example: group 2-3 natures together, and make one rule for each group. like: Bold & Brave cannot switch out, Impish & Naughty steal items, etc.

also, are HM slaves allowed? cause if not, people may get stuck.

Hippowtom

Hippowtom
Years
I was trying to look for your playthrough on Zetaboards but couldn't find it :(. Could you post a link or something because I'm very intrested on this consept and would like to see how difficult it is first on other people :)

Years
I would love to do this on Sapphire for the start since it's pretty easy game to beat (: Let's see how it goes :o This is really interesting challenge and I love the idea about it ^^

Years
I really like this idea. it would make the game feel like a role-play/ fan ficion, where your pokemon have their own personality and act by it.
but maybe you should simplify it a bit.
for example: group 2-3 natures together, and make one rule for each group. like: Bold & Brave cannot switch out, Impish & Naughty steal items, etc.

also, are HM slaves allowed? cause if not, people may get stuck.

I was thinking of that, too. I might do that for the ones that are a lot alike, like Calm/Relaxed/Lax. Yes, HM slaves are allowed.

I was trying to look for your playthrough on Zetaboards but couldn't find it :(. Could you post a link or something because I'm very intrested on this consept and would like to see how difficult it is first on other people :)

I haven't started it just yet, as I am trying to think of a good idea for a plot, and school is starting, putting a bit of pressure on me. I'll post it when there's something to see :)

I would love to do this on Sapphire for the start since it's pretty easy game to beat (: Let's see how it goes :o This is really interesting challenge and I love the idea about it ^^

Okay, I grouped some of the really similar ones together. Thanks a million for the idea, silver-wind! Impish and Naughty might stay separate because of their differences, but my run of this ruleset might prove one too difficult and in need of change. So it's definitely still a possibility.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hippowtom

Hippowtom
Years
I haven't started it just yet, as I am trying to think of a good idea for a plot, and school is starting, putting a bit of pressure on me. I'll post it when there's something to see :)

Cool! I'll be looking forward for it! ^_^ BTW: I just started a naturelock testrun of my own on Pokemon White :) Been enjoying it so far! Would love to post it somewhere but I never have done any posting of my own and I'm kind of noob if you could say so {XD}

Years
  • Seen Mar 18, 2021
This looks like a fun challenge, and this would be cool to do an LP of this. In fact, I probably will later on, but for now I'm just going to try a test run, to see how it works and everything.

Username: Mega Mawile
Game: Ruby

Hey, is this challenge still up? Sorry for double posting, but it's been a while since I've signed up and there seems to be no visible change in the forum thread. I wasn't going to come back unless I was sure this was a challenge the owner would update.

Last edited by a moderator:
Years
This looks like a fun challenge, and this would be cool to do an LP of this. In fact, I probably will later on, but for now I'm just going to try a test run, to see how it works and everything.

Username: Mega Mawile
Game: Ruby

Hey, is this challenge still up? Sorry for double posting, but it's been a while since I've signed up and there seems to be no visible change in the forum thread. I wasn't going to come back unless I was sure this was a challenge the owner would update.

Sorry, I had school and stuff to do and I forgot all about this >.< I'll update this~

Years
  • Seen Mar 18, 2021
Sorry, I had school and stuff to do and I forgot all about this >.< I'll update this~

It's alright, I've had the same problem, which I why I still don't have any progress on this either :(

I'll find time though; it shouldn't be a problem. I will probably be able to get a lot of stuff done this weekend, so expect an update then ;)

Hippowtom

Hippowtom
Years
Finally an update on my White Run:
Spoiler:

Current Team:

Spoiler:

ShadeDraco

Uninspired Writer
Years
This is really cool. So sign me up.
Username: Shadedraco
Game: Black 2
(Gonna use this to finally write some Pokémon fanfic again)

Last edited:

Hippowtom

Hippowtom
Years
2nd Update on my progress on White!

Spoiler:

Team:

Spoiler:

Oshamaru

Legs go, Megaman!
Years
I started this challenge yesterday, so sign me up please.
Username: Oshamaru
Game: White 2

And I'll also post the things I have done so far:
Spoiler:

Hippowtom

Hippowtom
Years
So another update on my White run:

Spoiler:

Team:

Spoiler:

P.S. @Mewquazabsol Have you started you're playthrough yet? :) Still curious about it since I already asked about it while back :D

Years
So another update on my White run:

Spoiler:

Team:

Spoiler:

P.S. @Mewquazabsol Have you started you're playthrough yet? :) Still curious about it since I already asked about it while back :D

Yep! I'm kind of torn about posting team stats, though, since it might contain spoilers for my story.

Also, adding and updating~

Back