• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Post your unpopular Pokémon opinions

Years
I hate smogon in totality. I think people should train pokemon they want how best they see fit instead of everyone training a giving pokemon in a specific way cause a site on the internets told you.
Any form of trade evolution is stupid. I've never managed to get a pokemon that evolves by trading and that sucks.
I kinda like fakemon, but only if they're well designed. Any thing is better than an ice cream cone, a literal pile of trash and animate keys. I mean I get what they're based on, but they dont need to exist.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jun 12, 2015
Do you really think that every people say that kind of things just because, Archamethyst?

About trade evolutions: it was more like a complaint, but there are some trades that are too much, like Porygon or Shelmet and Karrablast. Other perspective: what if a person plays Pokemon, let's say Pokemon Yellow or Pokemon Silver, and doesn't have any method to get Alakazam or Kingdra? The thing with trades is that it could be difficult or almost impossible given the circumstances, or they don't have the security of being given their pokemon back? They have tried to solve it as much as possible, but some things can be hard to solve.

About Charizard and Fire types. You said it. There's Arcanine and Ninetales. I wasn't talking about competitive, and there are several more choices (Rapidash, Flareon and Magmar), but I wouldn't put them to complete the game. And Fire and Electric types? Raichu, Electabuzz (and Jolteon?), then Ampharos and Houndoom, Manectric and... Torkoal maybe?, Luxray, Electivire, Magnezon and Magmortar (OK, they gave a boost to Electrics here), Eelektross and Chandelure, Darmanitan and Volcarona (Same for fire here) and Talonflame. So, except Gen I, Electrics in Gen IV and Fires in Gen V, you have to get pokemon from other gens to have a decent Fire or Electric type, there aren't 10 of each.

I played Pokemon Red after being told that it was quite good and all that, and honestly, I couldn't find anything that made me keep playing, just like BW. I said that Gen I is overrated, but I think that Gen v is even worse. The thing is that many people say that it's bad, so I just said it about Gen I. FFVII was in my opinion, one of the worst FFs I played. After being told that it was great, one of the best games and so on, I decided to play it, but it disappointed me, as I couldn't see why it was so good (In fact, I thought it was average). And I have played almost every main FF (except VIII and IX), and, I repeat, in my opinion VI was much better than VII.

And last, but not least, this is an OPINION thread, so judging others' opinions is wrong. But you could do well as a critic ;P

I had to say it XD

skyburial

Orca Hype
Years
My opinion that always gets me in trouble is that Dunsparce should have been the first evolution of the Gligar line, but I think that Nintendo had an issue making that happen due to a deadline or programming difficulties or something of that nature.

My reasoning is that Gligar and Dunsparce both have scorpion-like tails, are adjacent to each other in the Pokedex, and have strong defenses. I know their color schemes and move pools are a bit different.

Years
1) I hate Pikachu. It's a creepy little rodent and Cosplay Pikachu is just plain bizarre.

2) I strongly dislike the charizard and blastoise lines. I don't like Bulbasaur or Ivysaur either but Venusaur is okay.

3) There doesn't need to be much of a post-game. Seriously - you buy the game for the game, not the stuff AFTER the game.

4) The designs of Pokemon are all sound. Klefki, Trubbish, Vanilluxe all are logical. In most cases they are smart.

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
Years
  • Seen Jan 18, 2017
There doesn't need to be much of a post-game. Seriously - you buy the game for the game, not the stuff AFTER the game.
I see where you're coming from, but the postgame is there to ensure that people keep playing the game after they beat it. Not just for Pokemon games, but also for various other games.

Ganelon

The British Jedi
Years
Generation 4 is the best generation, by a LONG way.

Emerald is the best game, and it should have been remade in Gen 4.

The gens after Gen 4 look awful. I hate how they look.

People need to get over Red and Blue; sure, without them none of us would be here, but it really wasn't all that great even at the time and certainly doesn't still hold up today.

am i doing it right

DyingWillFlareon

Burning Candle
Years
-I actually tend to like Pokemon that I later find out are ahted. When I watched te episode with Trubbish so long ago I thought it was really cute, and come to find out people hate it. Same with Bidoof.
-Fairy Type should have been weak to Normal Types.
-I like some overrated Pokemon, and some I don't. I still play with my favorites.
-About 75% of the fandom seems obsessed with Competetive Battling and such, while Imm acting like I should have truly started at Gen I with Earthquaking everything in sight.
-Rotation Battles are probably my favorite battle style.
-I loved the Unova Anime when ut first cane out and loved Oshawott, and eventually bought White and chose Oshawott and the game surpassed my expectations.
-I olay games for storyline and feels, so Unova is one of my favorite regions.
-BW2 wasn't as good as BW, but I'm trying to love it.
-Gen VI isn't all that bad.
-Emus and Roms of games no longer made are ok, is Nintendo planning on selling $5 Red and Blue on the 3DS Store?
-Actually that's a great idea.
-Casual players and competetive players should stop fighting and play how they like.
-I love Pokemon Adventures manga for the family feel to it and how epic the storyline is to me, rather than 'it's so much more mature than the anime'. Although I have yet to read other manga.
-I like Eeveelutions because they are cute, and it's too hard pick a favorite.
-Mew is and will always be my DEFINATE favorite Pokemon, Shaymin as a close second.
-Speaking of Events, they should be unlockable hard to reach in game events, or at least give the events special items or moves instead and let up catch Celebi etc naturally. O barely managed to get Diancie, my one and only event mythical pokemon far.
-Speaking of Pokemon PokeSpe Pearl should get as much love as Dia, but for some reason people love Dia way nore. How can you have one without the other?
-I don't understand the appeal of Dragon Types. Sure they can be strong but they tale forever to train and I'm still unsure of Dratini's line's evolution methods.
-Post games are actually very fun.
-I want more easter eggs if that would be ok. Like Birthday easter eggs or gen I glitch easter eggs......
-I like Fairies and Mega Evos.
-I like Vanilite and Swirlix.
-I like Gastly because it is dual Poison, but most people would just assume it's because I am all over Ghost and Dark Types(which I'm not).
-There needs to be a Poison Type Legendary. :(
-GF doesn't have to listen to all demands. Remakes are in order nowadays it seems but certain Pokemon getting megas when others haven't gotten a logical evolution don't make sense.
-99% of my headcanons are formed off PokeSpe.
-The Unova starters are some of my favorites and it's hard to choose between them because they are most vividly colored and cute as basics.
-The anime dorsn't need to be more like Special. They have their own qualities.
-I'm on the border about a Special Anime. Sure everyone wants one, but it would seem.... Weird. After all, Sepcial is repeatedly reffered to as 'the manga', and when you think about it Kusaka and Yamamoto have a lot to do right now between BW2, XY, and OrAs so an anime would come out cruddy or the new arcs would become cruddy and everyone will be disappointed.
-I do not fangirl over characters but if Agencyshipping or MangaQuestshipping becomes canon... Then I will fangirl.
-Unlike some of the PokeSpe fandom, I do not like Lyra put in just so you can say Silver didn't end up alone......
-Speaking of Lyra, I actually like her. And she is atill Kris in my mind. After all, in FrLG you wouldn't say Red isn't Red because of his hair color and outfit? I know some people call him Fire but that is a very small minority. Every remake has different outfits, so Lura=Kris in the same way Ethan=Gold. I guess PokeSpe proves this as well but not many people see PokeSpe as canon to the games, which they shouldnmt since they are different from each other, but all the media should point back together.......
-I don't mind friendly rivals. What I do mind is them challenging me and then I beat them and they get sad that I just crushed their dreams......
-Blue was not a rude mean thing. He was very friendly in a rude way. The way he talks to your character in RBY is how I would imagine a lot of people talk. To their closest friends, sarcastic and rude but with good intention. FRLG made him a but more like Gary, just rude. Beating him in the League also makes me feels bad, because the Prof always credits me for being stronger even though he was there first, and he kust seems to shove him aside for me.....
-Remakes are not that bad just because they are either entirly like the old version or entirly not like the old version.
-Making 2 mega evos for Mewtwo and Charizard was a bad idea to me. Mega ChariArd X looks cool but not natural, it looks too bulky to move correctly, while Mega Mewtwo Y looks too much like Mew, Mewtwo is his own Pokemon. Charizard Y and Mewtwo X look much more natural to me.

Phew sorry that's a lot.....

Last edited:
Years
-Friendly rivals are really lame and weak
-Smogon and their tiers all suck
-The mega evolutions are really the pokegods. Mainly the ones of Blastoise, Venusaur and Charizard X being Rainer, Sapasaur and Charcolt. Charcolt is always discribed as being a black dragon and so is Charizard X. The mega stones are therefore like the very made up mist stones, in which that they cause pokemon to evolve to their most powerful forms even if they're a second evolution.

atmmachine11

Jumping portals since 1997.
Years
I absolutely detest Mega Evolutions and refuse using them. I personally think they are garbage and detrimental to Pokemon's health.

Years
False. There is nothing "unique" about taking three of the same Pokemon and having them move together.

Kinda old, but still have to ask. Are you seriously telling me my opinion is false?
Opinion cant be false cos it's an opinion but I see from your post that you just like counter other people's opinion so there's no point in going into this any deeper. Your post was a good laugh though :D

I actually wanted to add another unpopular opinion. Eeveeolutions are not overrated. The cool part of Eeveeolutions is that they are so different and everyone can find at least one Pokemon that suits them. If you are a mysterious type, you'll like Umbreon, if you are fiery tiype, Flareon etc. :D

PS. I just noticed the last post was over a month ago, hope that's not a problem, it only a bit over a month though!

Years
Let's start ^-^

* I can't stand it if people consider a pokemon "useless" if it isn't as good competitively, You can still use them in play-throughs. They are not useless...

* Diamond & Pearl are my least favourite pokemon games, I don't hate them or anything.

* Gen 2 starters are by far my favourite... I have the hardest time choosing between Cyndaquil and Chikorita.

* I like baby-pokemon, I hope they will bring more baby-pokemon in the future. (I would love to have a baby-Lapras...)

* I wish pokemon gave Mega-evolutions to weaker and less-populair pokemon, instead of giving popular pokemon two...

* I hope some people will accept that kids play/watch the pokemon game/anime.

* Pokemon should have picked the colours for the shiny pokemon more carefully, a lot of them look very unappealing because of the weird colour choices.

* I enjoyed gen 5 & 6 a lot... I like almost every pokemon they introduced.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 22, 2018
* I can't stand it if people consider a pokemon "useless" if it isn't as good competitively, You can still use them in play-throughs. They are not useless...

I think the reason for this is because competitive battling has pretty much become the end goal of the games, nowadays. The story is just something you button-mash through with an overleveled Starter, another Pokémon, and a couple of HM Slaves, and the "real" game begins as soon as you beat the E4 and can start breeding and EV-ing up a "perfect" team. The fact that the postgames of the recent games have pretty much been pared down to just a battle facility that is treated as infinitely stronger and more important than the League you just defeated (aka. single-player competitive battling) is a testament to this.

Well, I guess, I should contribute my own:

- Battle facilities are overrated. I don't get what's so fun about losing to a bunch of cheaters, and the steps you have to take (read: breeding and EV-ing) to build a team that can even stand a chance against these places are boring as hell.

- Competitive battling, in general, is overrated. It annoys me how the entirety of Story Mode, even the "Gotta' Catch Them All" aspect, has been cast aside as "unimportant" in favor of hollow number-crunching by much of the fandom, as if the games were nothing more than battle simulators with extraneous stories tacked on. What annoys me even more is the fact that GF has started listening to these people and centering the games around their wants and needs. Why can't competitive players just stick to their battle simulators and leave the games to the rest of us?

- Natures and EVs can die in a fire. Speaking of GF catering to competitive needs over casual ones, the stat system introduced in Gen 3 was one of the first (and worst) instances of this. While having "customizable" stats makes competitive battling a little more diverse and faster-paced, it doesn't do anything for casual play but make catching and training Pokémon tedious, because, seriously, what use is an Adamant Alakazam? It also only further encourages people to trash their in-game teams as soon as they beat the E4, because Natures and EVs ensure that they will always be "sub-par," no matter what.

- Pokémon Origins was boring and overrated. There is such a thing as being too faithful of an adaptation. Outside of the Marowak story, Origins did little to enhance Gen 1's barebones plot, and many characters (particularly, the Gym Leaders and E4 members) got even less screentime than they got in the games. (How is that even possible?) The entire special was lacking in a good sense of humor, mistaking stone-faced earnestness for "maturity." (Something the games, themselves, thankfully never did.) And, those HP bars and text boxes were distracting as hell and had no business being there; gameplay and story segregation, please. I hope Origins is the last of these kinds of specials we see in a very long time.

- Fairy types aren't that bad. Anything that enhances the games' mythology and helps balance the type chart isn't a bad thing at all. Besides, I've been waiting for them to add new types ever since Dark and Steel were first introduced way back when. :P

Venitardus

Breeder
Years
  • Seen Apr 9, 2018
So here is what I think..

-in Gen 5 and 6 there were too many rivals. I would be fine having a lot of firends going off on a journey, but if they want to make it so you have to battle them, do it after you get named champion for some more post gameplay. I liked how spaced out it was with Wally in gen 3 and remakes

- Hoenn is my favorite region and games.

-There are too many legendaries in game. Also there shouldn't be event exclusive legandary pokemon; all should be caught in-game. (I can see events of any legandary for a movie or something, but all should be catchable in game either main story or post game)

- I personally think ash should be kicked from the anime and someone else should replace him. I mean, I grew up watching the anime with ash, and I just think it's time for someone new.

-I didn't like gen 4. Mostly because it was slow; like the battles were slow.

- I do think some pokemon are bad, but I mostly go based on design. Like zibrastika, I thought it looked horrible and thought I would never use it... But I''m using it in my OR play through

- Some pokemon shiny forms need to be changed. He one shade lighter/darker doesn't work for me and some colors do not look good on others

Last edited:

icycatelf

Alex
Years
My opinion that always gets me in trouble is that Dunsparce should have been the first evolution of the Gligar line, but I think that Nintendo had an issue making that happen due to a deadline or programming difficulties or something of that nature.

My reasoning is that Gligar and Dunsparce both have scorpion-like tails, are adjacent to each other in the Pokedex, and have strong defenses. I know their color schemes and move pools are a bit different.

I used to think this as well, but Dunsparce is actually based on something totally unrelated to a scorpion.

Dunsparce is based on the snake-like cryptid, tsuchinoko. Due to its fat torso and thin, stubby tail, it's known as bachi-hebi (bee snake) in some regions. Dunsparce's design is a pun, literally combining a bee and a snake. How it avoided getting the Bug/Ground typing completely escapes me.

Also, Dunsparce (4' 11") is 8 inches larger than Gligar (3' 7"). I like to imagine Dunsparce being about the size of a cat, though.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
I don't like Pikachu! I find the little rat so over-used and it's not even that cute :(

Years
  • Seen Jun 17, 2017
I didn't really like the Gen V games. I find Gen VI to be superior, and Gen IV to be superior when not counting the improvements Gen V brought.

The anime uses too many dust clouds for things like Pokémon impacts.

Gligar

Bruhfication Sayan
Years
(Reading some of these really makes me heartbroken)

- I hate the Johto seasons, especially the point that it had 3 seasons given to it. I hate especially Season 3's theme song. Every time it came up, my brother and cousin used to dance to it like -
kids-dancing-to-crazy-frog-o.gif

Darn you Johto seasons.

Back