• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Abilities and Natures

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
In Pokémon, we have an aspect known as abilities. These give them certain advantages when battling (sometimes out of battle as well). One example would be Drought, which is usually carried by Ninetales--this sets up sunlight as soon as the Pokémon is sent out, making it easier to utilize fire-type attacks (as well as some grass ones).

Natures are similar to above, but one difference regarding them is that, which they do lend a hand while taking part in matches, they lean more on stats side of things. They take points away from one stat, and raise numbers of another. This makes it less difficult for us when using certain moves.

So, what are our opinions these things; do we have tendency to put much focus on them when training our Pokémon? If yes, how do we usually take it, and if no, why not?

Years
These were major changes to the Pokémon spectacle as opposed to RBY and GSC where everything had max stats and battles were just based on the moves they had. They did make competitive battling a lot different, so they do need to be focused on there.

But when it comes to me in-game, sometimes there are abilities and/or natures i'll end up not wanting to stick with if they're really crap compared to other ones I can get, unless I don't have any other choice.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 22, 2018
I hate Natures and the modern EV system. Outside of competitive (which I don't do at all), they don't do anything but unnecessarily cut a Pokémon's potential and make catching and raising Pokémon more of a hassle than it's worth. There's nothing fun about resetting Legendary encounters 55 times so you don't end up with one with a crap Nature (Adamant Mewtwo, whoo-hoo! :rolleyes2:), nor is catching 40 different versions of the same Pokémon or hatching 40 eggs of the same Pokémon. And, that's not even getting into the tedious, horrible grind that is EV training...

Abilities, I'm more mixed on. Many are really cool and useful, like Huge Power, Technician, No Guard, Speed Boost, and the weather abilities... And, then, you have things like Poison Point, Static, and Effect Spore. In other words, Abilities that have no purpose other than making grinding even more tedious and sucking up your healing items (and thus, money). I would not shed a tear if these Abilities were permanently erased from the game.

Back