• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Rate my Sand Team please!

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2013
Hi everyone!
I am trying to break down the idea of weather teams and I am starting to like them more and more, but the thing is that the people I'm going to battle against have set rules that we will be doing double battles only, so I don't know how each team would still be able to function as good as in single battles. Also, I'm playing with friends via infrared, so please do not worry about banned pokemon/moves, and also do not suggest any legendaries please because I do not like to use them.
So first, the Sand team will be this:

1.Tyranitar, Sand Stream
Sassy Nature @Leftovers
Evs: 228Atk, 140Def, 140 SpDef.
Moveset:-Crunch
-Flamethrower
-Ice Beam
-Superpower(Or Stealthrock?)

Tyranitar will be the sand storm inducer. One thing that I want to do, is cover his fighting weakness, what do you suggest? Or is this set okay?

2.Donphan, Sand Veil
Adamant Nature, @Leftovers
-Rapid Spin
-Earthquake
-Ice Shard/Stealth Rock

3.Swampert, Torrent
Relaxed Nature, @Leftovers
EVs:252 Hp / 216 Def / 52 SpD
-Ice Beam
-Earthquake
-Scald
-Stealth Rock

4.Mamoswine, Snow Cloak
Jolly Nature, @Life Orb
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
-Substitute
-Icicle Crash
-Earthquake
-Ice Shard

5.Magnezone, Magnet Pull
Timid Nature, @Air Balloon
EVs: 36HP, 252SPa, 220Spe.
-Substitute
-Thunderbolt
-Flash Cannon
-HP Ground
I'll do my best to breed a magnemite with a Ground HP, but IDK, I'm tired of breeding and I already have babies with perfect IVs...

6.Machamp, No Guard
Adamant Nature, @Leftovers
EVs: 212 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Spe
-Dynamic Punch
-Substitute
-Stone Edge
-Ice Punch

Any help would be appreciated, open to any criticism!! Let me know what you think.
Thank you!

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Tyranitar is better off with any of these sets with the coming of BW2:
-Stealth Rock
-Crunch
-Pursuit
-Fire BlastStone Edge/Superpower
Nature: Sassy/Careful
EVs: 252 hip/4 Atk/252 SDef
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream

Or
-Stone Edge
-Crunch
-Pursuit
-Superpower
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 180 HP/252 Atk/76 Spe
Item: Choice Band

Sturdy is still the preferred ability on Donphan as it guaranteed it gets to do something before going down:
-Earthquake
-Rapid Spin
-Stone Edge/Head Smash/Stealth Rock
-Ice Shard
EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/4 Def
Ability: Sturdy

Gastrodon is a better option over Swampert to check rain teams:
-Earthquake/Earth Power
-Scald/Ice Beam
-Toxic
-Recover
Nature:Sassy/Calm
EVs: 252 HP/4 Def/252 SDef
Ability: Storm Drain

Life Orb in conjunction with Sub wears down Manoswine fast. Gengar is one of the few who can make use of both at once thanks to Pain Split :
-Substitute
-Pain Split
-Shadow Ball
-Focus Blast
Nature: Timid
EVs: 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Life Orb

Magnezone can make use of SubCharge if you can't be bothered to breed for Hidden Power. Also, HP Fire or Ice is better for Magnezone,
-Substitute
-Charge Beam
-Thunderbolt
-Flash Cannon/Hidden Power (Ice/Fire)
Nature: Timid
EVs: 36 HP/252 SAtk/220 Spe
Ability: Magnet Pull

An alternative Fighting check is Reuniclus:
-Trick Room
-Psychic/Psyshock
-Shadow Ball
-Focus Blast
Nature:Quiet
EVs 192 HP/64 Def/252 SAtk
Item: Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2013
I don't really like the idea of having both Crunch and Pursuit on the same set with Tyranitar, I know that pursuit gets 2 times stronger if the target is switching out, but it doesn't become MUCH more powerful than Crunch, plus, I'm terrible at predicting if the target will be switching or not, so can I replace Pursuit with Superpower and have this:
-Stealth Rock
-Crunch
-Superpower
-Fire Blast

Also, Gastrodon might have the great ability to absorb water attacks, but it's defense is terrible, a Physical Grass attack would tear it apart, wouldn't it? Swampert looks much more bulky...

About Gengar, how would it benefit the team? The team is full of Earthquakes and what not lol, who would Gengar counter here?

And Reuniclus, can that thing really activate Trick Room without dying? It's defenses, again are not that great.. Machamp seems more viable in this case..

Thank you for sticking by.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I don't really like the idea of having both Crunch and Pursuit on the same set with Tyranitar, I know that pursuit gets 2 times stronger if the target is switching out, but it doesn't become MUCH more powerful than Crunch, plus, I'm terrible at predicting if the target will be switching or not, so can I replace Pursuit with Superpower and have this:
-Stealth Rock
-Crunch
-Superpower
-Fire Blast

Also, Gastrodon might have the great ability to absorb water attacks, but it's defense is terrible, a Physical Grass attack would tear it apart, wouldn't it? Swampert looks much more bulky...

About Gengar, how would it benefit the team? The team is full of Earthquakes and what not lol, who would Gengar counter here?

And Reuniclus, can that thing really activate Trick Room without dying? It's defenses, again are not that great.. Machamp seems more viable in this case..

Thank you for sticking by.
That's what Scald is for, dude. Try to fish for a burn with it, or you can always switch out. If you're bugged that Gastrodon's not working for you, Ferrothorn can be used instead:
-Spikes/Stealth Rock
-Leech Seed
-Power Whip
-Gyro Ball/Thunder Wave/Protect
Nature: Relaxed
EVs: 252 HP/88 Def/168 SDef
Item: Leftovers/Shed Shell

You forgot that Gengar has Levitate, didn't you? It can switch in to the Ground and Fighting moves aimed at your team, then set up a Sub to predict the next switch-in. When its HP gets too low, that's when you use Pain Split.

And you forgot that Reuniclus has 110 base HP, right? It compensates for its 75 Defense and 85 Special Defense (the latter defensive stat is rather decent). The EV spread I mentioned optimizes its bulk. Also, if the lack of recovery bothers you, use this:
-Calm Mind
-Psyshock
-Focus Blast
-Recover
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SDef
Item: Leftovers/Life Orb

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2013
That's what Scald is for, dude. Try to fish for a burn with it, or you can always switch out. If you're bugged that Gastrodon's not working for you, Ferrothorn can be used instead:
-Spikes/Stealth Rock
-Leech Seed
-Power Whip
-Gyro Ball/Thunder Wave/Protect
Nature: Relaxed
EVs: 252 HP/88 Def/168 SDef
Item: Leftovers/Shed Shell

You forgot that Gengar has Levitate, didn't you? It can switch in to the Ground and Fighting moves aimed at your team, then set up a Sub to predict the next switch-in. When its HP gets too low, that's when you use Pain Split.

And you forgot that Reuniclus has 110 base HP, right? It compensates for its 75 Defense and 85 Special Defense (the latter defensive stat is rather decent). The EV spread I mentioned optimizes its bulk. Also, if the lack of recovery bothers you, use this:
-Calm Mind
-Psyshock
-Focus Blast
-Recover
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SDef
Item: Leftovers/Life Orb

The reason I wanted to include a Water type was because having access to Ice Beam, Earthquake and Scald in one moveset gives coverage in Ground, Grass, Fight, Steel, all threats to Sand teams, and add into that Swampert's bulky stats.
If it is for Ferrothorn, can I add Scizor instead of it, or do the two have different functions in this team (lol rethoric question).

Haha I totally forgot about Gengar. Now you're right, I see what I can do with it.

I was so so so thrilled, keen and excited about using Machamp, it's perfectly accurate Dynamic Punch seems so delicious to me :(... Is there any way we can make a spot for this little guy?

And last, can you please, suggest me how to "use" the pokemon in the double battles I will be playing? I mean, which Pokemon should be played with which, which one would help the other more?
THank you!

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
The reason I wanted to include a Water type was because having access to Ice Beam, Earthquake and Scald in one moveset gives coverage in Ground, Grass, Fight, Steel, all threats to Sand teams, and add into that Swampert's bulky stats.
If it is for Ferrothorn, can I add Scizor instead of it, or do the two have different functions in this team (lol rethoric question).

Haha I totally forgot about Gengar. Now you're right, I see what I can do with it.

I was so so so thrilled, keen and excited about using Machamp, it's perfectly accurate Dynamic Punch seems so delicious to me :(... Is there any way we can make a spot for this little guy?

And last, can you please, suggest me how to "use" the pokemon in the double battles I will be playing? I mean, which Pokemon should be played with which, which one would help the other more?
THank you!
Swampert isn't used much anymore because of the power creep. It can't do bulky sets effectively anymore, as Gastrodon does them better. It's best off on bulky offense now:
-Waterfall
-Earthquake
-Superpower
-Ice Punch/Stone Edge
EVs: 172 HP/252 Atk/84 Spe

I assumed that this was a single battle team, so I rated it as such. Take a look at each Pokémon's VGC '12 article at Smogon for more.

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2013
Swampert isn't used much anymore because of the power creep. It can't do bulky sets effectively anymore, as Gastrodon does them better. It's best off on bulky offense now:
-Waterfall
-Earthquake
-Superpower
-Ice Punch/Stone Edge
EVs: 172 HP/252 Atk/84 Spe

I assumed that this was a single battle team, so I rated it as such. Take a look at each Pokémon's VGC '12 article at Smogon for more.

Ughh, by that do you mean that all of the above do not appeal to the battles I'm trying to fight?
Smogon is the main place where I refer to when checking Pokemon stats/movesets, however I was looking for something more precise.
Thank you very much nonetheless :).

Back