• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Gaming franchises that *must* return

Aura Vitae

Down, Sword Hand!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 23, 2019
I'd love it if a new Chrono game was made. Not counting the PSX port of Chrono Trigger and the DS remake there's only three games and one was never released outside of Japan. It's been over a decade since Chrono Cross after all and I'd love it if a sequel was released.

Fenrir Reki

Guardian of Destruction
Years
I have a few games in mind:

Dark Cloud Series - Dark Cloud 1 and 2 are my favorite RPGs on the PS2 and they were also unique for their time. Even though Dark Cloud 1 was straightforward and didn't have any side quests or other things to do besides fishing and dungeoning, the post endgame dungeon helped somewhat with it's replay value and it's still fun to play from scratch. With Dark Cloud 2, there were many other things to do such as recruit important people to your villages, participate in various contests, take pictures of various things, then combine ideas to create new items, and more. Also the Georama constructions of towns allowed more freedom compared to the first game and I remember spending a good hour or two trying to make my villages look better. Though, what both games had which made it stand out from other RPGs was it's unique weapon system. In the first game you were able to combine crystals, stones, and gems to power up your weapon, and depending on the attributes it had, you were able to transform it into an entirely new weapon. You could also "Synthesize" your weapon to combine some of it's stats and skills with another weapon to create a more powerful one. The second game took this step even further by allowing almost any item to be used to power up your weapons with different effects. They also had many more attributes to choose from, however you were limited to what you could use with your weapon depending on it's level unlike the first game. There were many other decent concepts as well from both games, but their storyline was too plain.

I know Level-5 and SCE Japan Studio still exist today, and I would love to see them create a third installment for the game or even a fresh reboot of the series.

Dino Crisis Series - These PSOne classics were very unique and although it had similar features like Resident Evil, the main difference was dinosaurs instead of your traditional zombies and other infected creatures. Even though it was no where near the level of "scary" as classic RE titles, it still provided interesting gameplay.

What I would love to see is Capcom creating a fresh start for the series. I would like the game to actually be scary, and have a good balance between action and horror (Think Dead Space) and not become a complete action game with very little horror elements. (Resident Evil 6 *COUGH*)

The Legend of Dragoon
- Now this RPG is a classic example of a great PSOne title. It had a good storyline, interactive gameplay, and was not a Final Fantasy game. If you have even heard about this or played it, I won't have to explain why I would want a sequel or a fresh installment to this game.

Mystic Heroes - Don't let the title throw you off, this game was actually a very fun game to play, whether it was with your friends or alone. The storyline and voice acting was terrible, but the gameplay is basically the same as any other Dynasty Warriors game.

Gauntlet Series - Gauntlet and Gauntlet Legends will forever be by favorite arcade and console games of my childhood. If you ever played this game or seen it, you would know how fun this game is. With friends, the game is much more exciting, especially if you're trying to play on a competitive scale and everyone is fighting for food. (the wizard will ALWAYS need food badly!) The PS2 installment was terrible, and it completely ditched the formula that made the previous installments such amazing arcade games. If it's an arcade game, keep it that way. Don't try to remake it into a console style RPG.

Galarians - This sci-fi survival horror game was probably the most difficult PSOne game I ever played. Careful management of your superpowers is valuable, and wasting it can easily lead to your death. I never actually played the game from start to finish, but I have seen my cousin play it enough to know my way around and to be familiar with the controls and gameplay. I wouldn't mind seeing a second entry to this game.

Star Ocean Series - This game is overdue for a new entry. The past Star Ocean games have been very good, despite The Last Hope getting mixed or poor reviews. (my favorite will always be Till the End of Time) If you are familiar with any of the Star Ocean games, then you know how good the gameplay is for an RPG.

Infinite Undiscovery - Developed by Tri-Ace, the same developers of the Star Ocean Series, this 360 exclusive was a very good game. It had gameplay similar to Star Ocean in a way but was simplified, and like traditional Tri-Ace games, it had it's trademark post game bosses and dungeons.

Shadow Hearts Series - This RPG had a good storyline and a unique battle system which involved a Judgement Ring. There was two additional entries after the first, but they received much criticism, and the first one is more well-known. I don't see this game ever being revived, since the original publisher Sacnoth dissolved and became a part of Marvelous AQL, however I would love to see a fresh restart for this amazing game series.

Digimon World 4 - The reason why i'm singling out this game and not talking about the entire franchise is because this game was completely different from the rest, and Digimon games tend to be completely different with each newer installment. instead of following the usual gameplay formula, Bandai tried something new and created a 4 player co-op world with four main areas, many dungeons to explore, many side quests to do, NG+ with two higher difficulties, and plenty of loot to find. Yes, I said loot, because this game allowed you to find various items and equipment for your Digimon and allowed you to specialize in specific techniques such as Slash for equipping stronger swords, or Force for using more powerful offensive MP Techniques. You are even allowed to digivolve into different Digimon by completing various tasks. Even though this game is a simplified RPG, it works very well.

Digimon World DS/Dawn/Dusk - This game followed a similar formula to Pokemon, but used a different battle system found in most turn based RPGs. It also allowed you to have your very own Digimon Farm, where you could decorate it with goods and other items to help train your Digimon while you are doing something else. With decent online play, trading, and gameplay, it has potential to be polished into a much more complex game.

Sweets Witch

I just love ham jerky.
Years
Star Ocean Series - This game is overdue for a new entry. The past Star Ocean games have been very good, despite The Last Hope getting mixed or poor reviews. (my favorite will always be Till the End of Time) If you are familiar with any of the Star Ocean games, then you know how good the gameplay is for an RPG.

Totally 100% agreed, although it might be a bit difficult to establish another story in the timeline since there is a definite beginning and a definite end. Something between Second Story and TTEOT giving some background on the Aldian/Vendeeni forces would be nice, but I'd be more partial to something between The Last Hope and the original game because I want to see why Welch changed her hair. And the game should be entirely about Welch because she's the single most interesting part of SO lore.

As for other franchises, I'd love to see Valkyrie Profile 3 with Hrist as the main character. She's my absolute favorite character in the series and it's a shame that she'll probably never get her time in the spotlight.

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
Years
I'd love it if a new Chrono game was made. Not counting the PSX port of Chrono Trigger and the DS remake there's only three games and one was never released outside of Japan. It's been over a decade since Chrono Cross after all and I'd love it if a sequel was released.

Read my mind. Chrono series definitely should have had another entry by now (Chrono Break :/) It's too good for it to end only after a couple games.

A lot of my favorite RPG series have been pretty silent for some time: Grandia, Wild ARMs, Suikoden (non spin-offs), Breath of Fire, and Baten Kaitos.

Would love to also see a Skies of Arcadia sequel. There was rumor of one not too long, but nothing came out it.

Moist

other in a month When you,
Years
Where is Duke Nukem?

Duke Nukem 3D was the first game I remember playing (When I was 6) and it was an awesome game.

I got Duke Nukem Forever and it sucked.

Also Valve needs to announce Half-Life 3,Half-Life: Episode 3, Portal 3, Left 4 Dead 3 and Team Fortress 3 at the next E3. If Valve does this I will go up to their headquarters and throw my wallet threw one of their windows.

Years
Where is Duke Nukem?

Duke Nukem 3D was the first game I remember playing (When I was 6) and it was an awesome game.

I got Duke Nukem Forever and it sucked.

Also Valve needs to announce Half-Life 3,Half-Life: Episode 3, Portal 3, Left 4 Dead 3 and Team Fortress 3 at the next E3. If Valve does this I will go up to their headquarters and throw my wallet threw one of their windows.
Left 4 Dead 3 is something I would very much welcome open-armed, L4D2 was amazing.

Team Fortress 3 is quite doubtful considering the amount of updates that are being released on TF2. Plus, TF2 is as good of a FTP as you will find, making TF3 a better game that would be free...I would say that's impossible. TF2 has made such good progress and a lot of people still play it. The only time I can see Valve making a new TF game would be if TF2 really got a massive decrease in activity.

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
Croc.
End of.

It had a great first game, and a great sequel, which at the end said 'to be continued'

And Croc 3 never happened.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
I agree Croc was a fantastic franchise. I remember playing all of them, and beating Legend of the Gobbos twice a day. xD It could really use a PS3 appearance. That would give me a reason to buy it. xD

Also Crash Bandicoot & Spyro = aaaaah so much nostalgia.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
Years
I'd like to see a proper sequel to KotOR 2, but it won't happen because of the disgusting cash-grab that was SWTOR.

Arsenic

[div=font-size: 18px; font-family: 'Kaushan script
Years
oh oh oh! I got one

Half-Life 3

______
Now seriously

The Crash series. I only remember owning a couple games when I was youngerer (New word) but I would play them all the time at my friends house. Good times!

Maybe also Red Faction, just cause it's fun blowin' stuff up.

sρεcтяα

Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jul 23, 2013
Right at the top of my list for franchises I want to return is The Legacy of Kain. Those games had an absolutely fantastic story, amazing voice acting for their time - although I believe one of the voice actors is now dead, so that could make things difficult, but Simon Templeman made an amazing Kain and I'd love to hear more from him - and were quite engaging, all things considered. Defiance was fairly satisfying, but the story could easily be carried on, and it'd be a shame for this series to just vanish.

Timesplitters is another series I want back - where's Timesplitters 4?! I'm not a huge fan of FPS, but these games were something special, especially the second one. At the very least, I'd like to see a HD collection make its way to the PS3 at some stage, maybe with some online multiplayer, because that's the one thing I remember about these games more than anything else: the multiplayer. This is pretty much all I played with my friends at one stage, and not many other FPS show the same ingenuity now that Timesplitters did back in the day (the Notre Dame level remains one of my favourite levels of all time, from any game) so it'd be nice to see this return.

I think we are long overdue a proper Banjo-Kazooie game, as well. Grunty's Revenge wasn't bad, but Nuts and Bolts was truly abysmal, and as a child Banjo-Kazooie was my favourite N64 game, and the second one was also brilliant. Even if this gets stuck on a Microsoft console only - which would annoy me no end - I'd like to see the bear and the bird make a glorious return.

Another Final Fantasy Tactics game, perhaps? Square Enix's recent performance - their refusal to localize Bravely Default and Type-0, the abundance of iOS games, and the general horror that is Fabula Nova Crystallis, which they're continuing with yet ANOTHER unnecessary sequel to the worst game they've ever made - has all conspired to make me lose a lot of faith in them...a return to Ivalice, to the complex political machinations and ambiguous moral situations, the delightful turn-based combat that, whilst not on the same level as Disgaea, is still enjoyable and complex, and the amazing soundtrack Ivalice games bring with them, would be more than sufficient to restore it. Ivalice has a rich history, there is PLENTY of room for another game in there somewhere.

We are long overdue another Valkyrie Profile game, too. Silmeria remains one of my favourite PS2 games, and I have been itching for a third chapter in the series focusing on my favourite Valkyrie, Hrist. Covenant of the Plume was absolutely atrocious; I think it's time for a PS3 version.

I also hope tri-Ace haven't forgotten about Star Ocean. I enjoyed The Last Hope - and I'm one of the few people I know that did - and I'd like to see something set between the second and third games, given the ridiculous time jump between them. Something MUST have happened in that time. But that aside, the Star Ocean series boasts unparalleled real-time combat (as good as the Tales series is, it still doesn't play quite as well in terms of 360 degree movement, which makes it a bit awkward at times) and quite often a wonderful story, even if it does like to load you down with awful complex terminology all at one point. Oh, plus nightmarish bonus dungeons, and a good character affinity system that lets you actually affect the ending a little.

Finally (at least for the moment) I'd like to see some more Ar Tonelico games...or at least something more satisfying than Ciel No Surge, which we will probably never see. I love the general feel of the games and, whilst the story isn't as good as it could be, the soundtrack is without peer, and it's nice to have vocal tracks that actually mean something in a game. Whilst a couple of characters in Qoga (Saki, specifically) got on my nerves, I also quite like the cast overall, as well. It'd be a shame for the series to die off after three games.

Clonehunter

Clones Be Wary
Years
  • Seen Jan 23, 2013
I think a return to the Heretic/HeXen games from Raven Software would be really nice, whether or not it's a Raven title. While a reboot would be okay, I think an actual Sequel would be better of course.

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
Years
SUIKODEN.

Konami, you do not just make this incredibly immersive, politically realistic and interesting world, and after 5 games call it quits and tangle it above our heads. I'm CRYING.

Suikoden-suikoden-672684_570_426.jpg

I mean JUST LOOK AT THESE GUYS, SERIOUSLY.

(Also I am part of the Suikoden Revival Group on Facebook - yeah, this is a thing! Pretty awesome, eh? It's nice to know I'm not the only one.)

Toutebelle

Banned
Years
I loved The Tower of Druaga despite its extreme difficulty. There was something about the enemies, the characters, and the tower itself. Plus, I loved the official artwork for the series. For those who don't know, The Tower of Druaga is an arcade game from Namco released in 1984. It features a prince named Gilgamesh (usually called Gil for short) and his priestess girlfriend Ki. The game is kind of like The Legend of Zelda, but much harder, since you actually do need every helpful item to complete the game.

There were three more official Druaga games, as well as a roguelike released in 2004. The roguelike wasn't that great, but it has an impressive soundtrack that rivals any Final Fantasy soundtrack. (There is an anime, but sadly it doesn't use the same characters for the most part.)

Namco actually made a remake of the original for the PC Engine in 1992. This version is actually a lot more forgiving than the original. It features four difficulty modes (easy, medium, hard, and very hard). There aren't as many wizards (that was my problem - all the wizards) since the enemies are more diverse, you actually get to see Gil's HP, and the goddess Ishtar actually helps you in the easier modes. In the easy and medium modes there is no timer, so you don't have to worry about exiting. It's a shame this version is not available outside of Japan.

I wish Namco would market the Druaga series outside of Japan. Then more people would like them. And they haven't made a real Druaga game in a while. I'd like to see Gil and Ki again, and I'd love to hear them speak! (They do speak in Namco x Capcom, but sadly that's only in Japanese.) I was thinking of making my own flash game based on the Druaga series, but I don't have flash.

One interesting quirk is that Gil wears golden armor, and in Fate/stay night, there is a character named Gilgamesh who also wears golden armor. Maybe they got the idea from Druaga? (I'm not sure, though. The two Gilgameshes have very different personalities. Namco's Gilgamesh is a kind brown-haired guy, while Type Moon's Gilgamesh is an arrogant blond guy.)

Last edited:
Back