• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Survey: First hack you've ever played?

Years
So, I was browsing through my Pokemon ROMs folder when I noticed I have so many ROMs in there. I checked out all of it. I looked into the sky, and asked myself, "What is the first ROM Hack that I've played?"
Then I remembered the glorious Pokemon Light Platinum. I got my Pokemon Light Platinum via bluetooth. I have a friend in church and he has Light Platinum. I asked him if he can share me the ROM. Of course, he gave me the ROM. And then I played it and played it. I remember playing it 10 times or so. But let's focus on YOU. What's the first ROM Hack that you've played and how did you discovered it?

Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2020
Pokémon Chaos Black back in 2006. I'd just discovered emulators and I was searching for games I could play and came across it. All it really had was some changed graphics and new starter, it was just like a normal Fire Red except Mt. Moon was blocked.

I then started searching on google for more ROM hacks and found the forums. There weren't many complete ROM hacks at the time, maybe just Quartz and Brown? And that's how I got into ROM hacking.

Years
The first hack I actually played was some obscure hack called Liquid Ocean made by some really old hacker guy, I don't think he comes here anymore. I remember being overwhelmed by how different it was from FireRed and actually thought it was a "lost" Pokémon game at the time. Once I found out more about hacking I was determined to make my own and then I made multiple awful awful ones and here we are.

I wonder what happened to that guy though.

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Nov 19, 2023
lol sphricl r u dmb dats christos he just posted above u !! XD XD XD XD XD
btw happy birthday

To be honest, I really don't remember what the first hack I played was. Maybe Quartz or something like that?

DyingWillFlareon

Burning Candle
Years
I can't seem to remember. But it was probably Ruby Destiny games or a remake like Lightning Yellow or Liquid Crystal. I only REALLY started getting into hack games when I played Dark Energy, so could that count instead? :3

Zehn

[color=red][font=Foto Serif]Sacred[/font][/color][
Years
I came across a chaos black cartridge a few years back, fastforward and then I discovered it would be possible to make my own

Mawa

The typo Queen
Years
I was very young, my brother downloaded me a pokemon game, but they were young too so they didn't realise that..

1. the game was in spanish
2. the game was a hack.

So I don't know which hack it was, but it was with red (or another gen1 game), and in the forest I saw mew!!! I was the happiest kid in the world! I catched it quickly!!

I will alway remember..
"Congratulation, you just caught a Ditto!"

.... turn out almost every pokemon you catched was a ditto.

I didn't continued the hack XD

Chimchar

THE Chimchar Tamer
Years
  • Age 26
  • USA
  • Seen Jun 11, 2017
I first played Pokemon Shattered Dreams about a year and a half ago. I accidentally stumbled upon it and thought, "Man this is awesome!" When I learned it was never finished, I was sad. It had a lot of potential.

Years
  • Age 43
  • Seen Jan 22, 2015
hi guys, so I played the fire red hack. the dark violet version, and im really disappointed that the game wasn't finished, i look find that the thread of that game in here is closed, i am eager to finish the game, can somebody help me please :(

-Rilou-

Lost One Weeping
Years
I feel a little bit guilty to say that the first hacked ROM I've ever played was Ponymon.
Meh, it was just like FireRed and LeafGreen, just the Pokemon were replaced with ponies and the text replaced "Poke" with "Pony".

Years
  • Age 27
  • OH
  • Seen Feb 26, 2024
I'm pretty sure the first hack I played was Pokemon Brown. It was quite a long time ago, so I'm not certain.

Years
The first Pokémon ROM hack I ever played was Ash Gray. It appealed to me because I was particularly fond of the anime at that point and time. I really liked how it was essentially an exact replica of the anime, and every time I moved onto a new cutscene I immediately knew what episode it was from. I'd say that is definitely what kept me engrossed in the hack and why I was always so eager to play it.

Espurr_Kawaii

Pokemon Trainer Coordinator
Years
First hack pokemon ive play is Light Platinum also ! Thanks to my cousins haha :D ..Btw when im play this, i like very much & nice graphics, the sprites.. the hard trainers, gym leaders, villains, elite 4 & champions!! (not fixing yet that time many bugs ive encounter) -.-

Meadow

[span="font-family: Handlee; font-size: 15px; font
Years
I actually joined PC back in 2007 for the sole purpose of downloading Shiny Gold.

Funny thing is, I completely fell out of the ROM Hacking scene sometime after 2008, but I somehow stayed on this website because the other sections grew on me. ;)

Glad to see that the concept of ROM Hacking is still alive and well, considering this is the first time I've visited the ROM Hacking section in over 5 years.

Years
  • Seen Nov 4, 2017
My first Rom Hack was Pokemon Sienna I discovered Hacking when all the guys at school were talking about it one day. They mentioned it to me knowing I was a Pokemon Fan.

Back