Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Game Development Your number one stop for anything related to creating games (except ROM hacks). You can even make your own!

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old December 7th, 2014 (02:54 PM). Edited December 7th, 2014 by InvisibleWater.
InvisibleWater

Nature: Quirky
Since Game Maker isn't the best thing for RPGs, I'm trying to learn how to use XNA. This is going to be fun.
Old December 7th, 2014 (08:30 PM).
Derxwna Kapsyla
X-Class Project, Derxwna, #003

Nature: Lax
I'm putting the finishing touches on the Touhoumon DevKit, and preparing to send it to select testers.
For more information future news and updates to any projects, the following blogs are where I post information. You can usually hit me with a message there when it comes to bug reports or feedback, or general conversation about something.
Game Projects:
In Progress:
Old December 8th, 2014 (12:29 AM).
firion2j

I'm planning out the map of my game by making it 16 times smaller and messing around in Photostop.
Old December 10th, 2014 (12:08 AM).
audinowho
我是谁?

I'll probably be checking out Monogame pretty soon. @InvisibleWater you might want to give it a go too, since it's very similar to XNA except multi platform!

Old December 24th, 2014 (03:05 PM).
Derxwna Kapsyla
X-Class Project, Derxwna, #003

Nature: Lax
Now I'm preparing to release Demo 5 of Faith & Prayer Version and Version 1 of the Rebuilt Touhoumon DevKit this evening. In the meanwhile, I'm just making some quick tweaks to Demo 5 of Faith & Prayer Version. This is one of the changes I intend to have on release:

Nothing too big, just emulating how eyecatches work in the FrLg games.
For more information future news and updates to any projects, the following blogs are where I post information. You can usually hit me with a message there when it comes to bug reports or feedback, or general conversation about something.
Game Projects:
In Progress:
Old 1 Week Ago (04:48 PM).
BalletDuckNinja

After thinking about what sort of story and atmosphere I'd like to see in a Pokemon game, I got inspired to try starting on my own.

The idea now is that the game is set in a 'dying' world. Eggs are no longer hatching, babies haven't been born in years, and pokemon are becoming rarer and rarer. Rather than trying to fight it, most people have already given up, and are just trying their best to enjoy their lives the best they can. You are among what will probably be the last generation of trainers ever to journey across the land. Of course, there's always the evil team who seem oddly bent on messing things up even more, when there's pretty much nothing left worth fighting over. The main feature is being able to choose one starter from any generation, I want them to be the player's most valuable partner, so I've buffed all of them an want to give them megas. The starter is supposed to be the one Pokemon you shared the whole journey with.

Now, I've never even hacked a ROM (beyond very simple edits like changing Pokemon base stats) before, much less used RPGMaker, and the first challenge I'm running into is finding a tileset I like. I really don't want to use FRLG, they're too bright for the subdued atmosphere I want and I feel like they're overused, but there seems to be no version of Pokemon essentials with HGSS graphics, which is what I want. I've found some sheets but I have to edit them to RMXP size myself, which seems incredibly tedious since I have to be very careful even in photoshop, and then learn sorcery like autotiles. I don't know how long it'll take just to get the basics down.

.... It's alright if I ask for help around here, right?
Old 1 Week Ago (03:32 PM).
Java's Missingno.
Notoriously Overscoped

Nature: Quiet
Currently working on UNITE, which is basically a rehashed chunk of my commercial project(with some limitations!) to be used to create 2.5d fangames using Unity. Once I get the basic overworld and a cheap turn-based battle system going(probably no battle systems), I'm going to release it for public use, followed by(potentially) the procedural model script I use to make assets and a file reader compatible with Essentials' data files to make it easier to transition if desired.

Currently working on UNITE. Will create a thread when a playable demo is out.
Old 1 Week Ago (10:38 AM).
zingzags
Creator or Pokemon Serenity

Nature: Adamant
I guess I will take another crack at a cross platform pokemon game engine. After I am done with this other project I am working on. The library I am using is called libgdx, it can run on pc and mobile devices. Plus it is written in java, so any machine which has support for JVM, can run this game.

All I have done at the moment is character movement (player can turn, but there is no walking animation), map rendering, and some issues with the camera.
Pokemon ebony
and
Xenotime:
Old 4 Days Ago (11:42 PM). Edited 4 Days Ago by ESCRaven.
ESCRaven

Nature: Careful
I'm working on the designs of my game's 'unofficial species' - I dislike using the term "fakemon", it just doesn't sit right with me - and I've found one small flaw in my plan. I don't know a good way to allocate egg moves for the new Pokémon.

I'm guessing that I'll need to use existing species as reference points, based on the Egg Groups to which the new ones belong. But if anyone has any suggestions for determining which species learns which egg moves, that would be brilliant. Maybe add a little clarity to the process.

Other than that, carrying on with development of both the new species and the game's region. Then probably going to hunt around for an artist willing to help with sprites.
(Honestly, not sure where else I could have posted this to ask for help. The question doesn't seem to fit anywhere else. =/)
Old 3 Days Ago (03:27 PM).
Ashedragon
Elite Trainer

Nature: Rash
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Ashedragon
Quote originally posted by ESCRaven:
(Honestly, not sure where else I could have posted this to ask for help. The question doesn't seem to fit anywhere else. =/)
There's this topic right at the top of the Game Development Section called Team Recruitment/Volunteering: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=284170
Old 3 Days Ago (04:44 PM).
ESCRaven

Nature: Careful
Quote originally posted by Ashedragon:
There's this topic right at the top of the Game Development Section called Team Recruitment/Volunteering: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=284170
I considered that, but at this stage I don't have the required information about my game to place a recruitment ad according to the thread's rules. Placing an ad also requires a thread for the game in Progressing Games, for which I also lack the required details. A thread will (probably?) eventually be posted once more work is completed, but I want to get the core components nailed down before I do anything in RPG XP or Essentials' PBS files.

In hindsight, I'm probably going about this the wrong way.
Old 3 Days Ago (06:32 PM).
Ashedragon
Elite Trainer

Nature: Rash
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Ashedragon
Quote originally posted by ESCRaven:
I considered that, but at this stage I don't have the required information about my game to place a recruitment ad according to the thread's rules. Placing an ad also requires a thread for the game in Progressing Games, for which I also lack the required details. A thread will (probably?) eventually be posted once more work is completed, but I want to get the core components nailed down before I do anything in RPG XP or Essentials' PBS files.

In hindsight, I'm probably going about this the wrong way.
No no, not at all. This is good! However, you don't want to have too much set in stone before you start, as too much rigidity won't allow you to flex and improve later on if you decide you don't like something or want to add something in.

So in short (because clearly that was very long), everything is good in moderation!
Old 2 Days Ago (02:54 AM).
Badhaas

I'm currently working on a demo for "Tales from the Pokémon World" to get a finished chunck of gameplay. This is what used to be my "The World of Pokémon" project.

I'm also writing some articles for gamasutra (the non-Pokémon related stuff).

View my profile page for scripts/tutorials made by me, even ones which aren't posted yet.

Postponed (pm me if you're interested in this):
- A script/tutorial on conversations similar to the mass effect series and telltale games (The walking dead, The Wolf Among Us, etc.).
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links