• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Second Hack of the Quarter - 2012

Hack of the Quarter?

• Pokemon Bronze

Votes: 17 15.0%
  • Pokemon Rose

Votes: 58 51.3%
  • Pokemon Furious Flames

Votes: 38 33.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
I continue to abstain. However, Rose is way ahead; I think we can call this vote.

Cyclone

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
Years
Since people have been posting about this, giradialkia and I have decided to respond.

I want to put this out here: The nomination of hacks for HotQ is not a democracy, but the decision of which one will win is. We tried to bring together three hacks that roughly showed equal length, effort and quality - Some may be stronger than others in one department or another, but we theorised that if people took them for what they were then there would be a decent competition. Yes, there are other hacks that are equally able, but we ultimately decided on these three. We have taken on-board lots of responses to this thread and shall endeavour to reach a more widely agreeable decision in the future, but for now what is done is done.

Please, keep this thread clean and show respect to your fellow members, mods and each hack in the running. Just keep in mind that everyone has an opinion (that's what this competition is all about in the first place) and you may not be speaking for others.

ChaosJester083

Still alive
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Dec 3, 2019
I've LP two out of the three games (Bronze and Rose) and I find all of them to be great hacks. I went with bronze because I'm a sucker for GSC hacks and I really do enjoy it. I am a bit biased due to when I LP Rose everything past the 2nd route was a buggy mess. I'm sure Bela has cleaned everything up and I'm excited to play it again. I believe all the hack that are in the running have a lot of potential to be great hacks that I will let's play because that's what I do.

Murkrow

Nasty Plotting
Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2023
was a good response from the mods...still abstaining from the votes cos i dont really like any of the three.

Actually perhaps we can reevaluate whether having a democracy in deciding HotQ might be a good idea, considering how 33% of the voters went for an edit (IMO NOT A HACK)...

really sad to see another gsc HACK in the doldrums of the poll again. pretty colours over everything i guess.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
was a good response from the mods...still abstaining from the votes cos i dont really like any of the three.

Actually perhaps we can reevaluate whether having a democracy in deciding HotQ might be a good idea, considering how 33% of the voters went for an edit (IMO NOT A HACK)...

really sad to see another gsc HACK in the doldrums of the poll again. pretty colours over everything i guess.
GSC hacks should not be up against R/S/E hacks due to this. Besides, even if they're all the same base, it's still just a popularity contest; not everyone voting knows everything about every hack to make an informed decision. I would have chosen Rose based on graphics too, but I haven't played any and don't know the inner workings, hence why I abstained.

Cyclone

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
Years
GSC hacks should not be up against R/S/E hacks due to this. Besides, even if they're all the same base, it's still just a popularity contest; not everyone voting knows everything about every hack to make an informed decision. I would have chosen Rose based on graphics too, but I haven't played any and don't know the inner workings, hence why I abstained.

Cyclone
This is true, it's mostly just a popularity contest yet I still think it should be left as it is. The majority of the rom hacks are of 3rd gen games so if another competition would be made for all hacks excluding those, there wouldn't be many to vote for and the competition would be totally pointless.

Relating to the word in bold there, is there really a point to this competition in the first place? Most of the ones who vote pick up the one to vote for based on the graphics anyway. We could instead be voting for the hack with the neatest graphical work.

This Hack of the Quarter competition will run to the first of December, so you have until then to vote for your choice. The winning hack's thread will be stickied for three months, until the next competition's winner is announced and it will also be added to PokéCommunity's official ROM Hacking Hall of Fame. The thread's owner will also receive an emblem to go along with their accomplishment. Only those hacks which are in either the Progressing Hacks or the Hacks Showcase forums and have not won Hack of the Month/ Quarter/ Year previously are eligible for nomination.

Feel free to discuss which hack you voted for and why, but please keep the comments clean. Ready? Go!
And I just realized something neat related to the main post. What we actually are voting for isn't defined anywhere. It's just "Hack of the Quarter" competition. What does a hack being "Hack of the Quarter" mean? Is it the hack with the most entertaining gameplay? The best storyline, or something else? For now, it's pretty much the one most popular and graphically appealing.

For the following competitions, I'd recommend making it clearer what you're actually voting for. Also if you take a look at the screenshots of the main post, they're already leading people to vote for Rose! Some of the voters may not play any of the games yet they still vote in the competition. The screenshots taken of Rose Version greatly divide it from the rest, and nicest graphical work is the case here as well.

What could be done is to not show screenshots of any of the eligible hacks to vote for, or possibly show a little bit but try to place them at the "same level" from the start. That way, the voters would actually have to think for a little while instead of just pushing the "vote for this hack" button there and submit their opinion. This would also lead into the actual players have a bigger meaning in the competition, good implementation beats nice graphics anytime, anywhere.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Dec 26, 2020
I voted for Rose, but you probably should have used much newer screenshots for Bronze which have the new tilesets and graphics. Oh well.

Pokemon Bronze is okay. It's honestly not fantastic and the tiles that spell out "POOP" where the player can't see are retarded.

What else was I going to do with the blank space you'll never see? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back