• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

droomph

weeb
Years
I AM USING XSE AS MY SCRIPT EDITOR!

So, I'm trying to create just a regular script block in Advanced map.
Like this:
___
| S |

(Pretend it's green and NOT a signpost block)

All I want it to do is say simple text, here is my XSE script:

Spoiler:

But whenever I step on that block in the game, everything freezes. Only the music keeps playing...

Any idea on how to fix this? Is it my rom? My script?
Try removing the lock part. Here's an example ground script from the actual game:
Spoiler:
(by the way, look at examples first before giving up!)

Basically, what you need to do is add this:
Code:
#org @start
'-----------------------------------
lockall
setvar variable number 'if this script is meant to happen over and over you can just skip this part
jump @beginningOfScript
and I think you'll be okay.

Hey, how do you create a custom item?
Here's a nice tutorial.
Also how can I insert a charmander/squirtle/bulbasaur sprite onto a map, like a legendary battle?
If you want to sacrifice any chance of using anything other than FireRed, here's a tutorial. Otherwise, we don't know yet, you could search it up.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Mar 13, 2014
Try removing the lock part. Here's an example ground script from the actual game:
Spoiler:
(by the way, look at examples first before giving up!)

Basically, what you need to do is add this:
Code:
#org @start
'-----------------------------------
lockall
setvar variable number 'if this script is meant to happen over and over you can just skip this part
jump @beginningOfScript
and I think you'll be okay.

First, thanks a lot for helping me! Unfortunately, though, there were no positive results from what I tried...

So, these are some different things I did...

1. I took lock out of my script - didn't work
2. I replaced lock with lockall and release with releaseall - didn't work
3. Looked at other scripts and tried to mimic them - didn't work

:/

But, I'm also not the most advanced scripter... So I don't exactly understand the setvar and jump commands you told me to try. I've avoided the regular script block the entire progress of my hack because I can only really script people and signs...

So could it be 'setvar' or 'jump' that could make the difference? If so, a short explanation or tutorial link?

Years
  • Seen Aug 20, 2012
Two more stupid questions - can I add attack without removing existed one? For example I'm inserting lucario in FR rom and I want it to have aura sphere. But I don't want to remove any of existed attacks... Is that possible?

And can I expend number of attacks that all pokemons have and extend pokedex entried? Sound a bit stupid, I know>.< But I'm not sure how to tell this correctly in English...

redriders180

Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed
Years
First, thanks a lot for helping me! Unfortunately, though, there were no positive results from what I tried...

So, these are some different things I did...

1. I took lock out of my script - didn't work
2. I replaced lock with lockall and release with releaseall - didn't work
3. Looked at other scripts and tried to mimic them - didn't work

:/

But, I'm also not the most advanced scripter... So I don't exactly understand the setvar and jump commands you told me to try. I've avoided the regular script block the entire progress of my hack because I can only really script people and signs...

So could it be 'setvar' or 'jump' that could make the difference? If so, a short explanation or tutorial link?

Scripts are designed to work in conjunction with variables. When you click on a green script, the script menu in A-map appears on the right. Focus on these three values:
vimcdv.png

In Firered, the top one generally does nothing, from what I hear. In RSE, you have to set it to 03 for applymovement scripts. I hack Firered, but I use 03 partly out of habit, and partly to be safe.
The middle one is a variable number (pause for a second: If you don't know variables, go learn about it now. Or you won't get very far in Rom Hacking). In this case, it's variable 0x4066. Explanation to follow.
The last one is a variable value. In this example, it's 0000. Explanation Below.

Explanation!
When you walk over a script tile, the script will automatically compare the value at the variable you specified earlier with the value that you also specified. In my case, it compares variable 0x4066 to 0x0. If they are EQUAL, the script executes. If they are UNEQUAL, the script doesn't. Pretty useful...Instead of a flag for every event, you can use a single variable, and that variable is good for 65,535 seperate events.
In my example, the script is intended to run only once. So, when you step on it initially, variable 0x4066 is equal to 0x0, and the script runs. Somewhere in the script it runs, I set variable 0x4066 to 0x1. Now, every subsequent time I step on it, variable 0x4066 is NOT equal to 0x0, and doesn't run.

But how is this relevant? Well, I could've just said how to fix it, but then you wouldn't have learned anything ;). Most scripts that do noticeable things, i.e. applymovement, movesprite, msgbox, require a variable must be specified, or the game freezes. For this purpose, I always have a "blank" variable, or a variable always equal to 0x0. Any scripts that need to activate anytime you step on it get that variable, and the scripts don't include any setvars. Basically, give the script a variable, and it'll be fine.

PS: Generally, scripts that don't do noticeable things, i.e. set flags or variables and nothing else, don't need a variable in the script.

Hope this isn't too long and/or not helpful

Capitalist Ness

can't stump the trump
Years
Oh well, looks like my question is ignored.
Chatot's max hp is ok, but when he levels up, his health goes to 1. How do I fix it?
And another question...

I want Thick Club to work for other Pokemon, not Cubone and Marowak.
How do I edit that? Do I need to change some bytes? But what's the offset, then?
I'm hacking Ruby.

@Edit:
Oh, and same for Light Ball.

jabberjabber8

../\..
Years
Someone must be able to help?

We are trying to insert a world map into fire red, however we need it to have two regions. this will require a tile limit of 512 or better still 1024, but as of current the fire red map only contains 256 tiles. Does any one know how to go about increasing the limit?

Years
  • Seen Nov 4, 2023
My question.

My question is.

Is there anyone that are able to hack HeartGold and SoulSilver Or are they finding it difficult? As it would be amazing if they could re create pokemon but to play with ash and have pikachu follow you everywhere like the anime? As heartgold and soulsilver have the algorithms coded in for the pokemon to follow just wondering if anyone has been successful with it yet?

droomph

weeb
Years
My question is.

Is there anyone that are able to hack HeartGold and SoulSilver Or are they finding it difficult? As it would be amazing if they could re create pokemon but to play with ash and have pikachu follow you everywhere like the anime? As heartgold and soulsilver have the algorithms coded in for the pokemon to follow just wondering if anyone has been successful with it yet?
We can do it. >clicky<

Also, it shouldn't be that hard to trace your way to the follow me script but you'll have to do that yourself.

If you need to know how to hack NDS you should ask someone like Team Fail, or Spiky-Eared Pichu (whatever his name was). I'm sure they'll be glad to help you.
Someone must be able to help?
There's probably a good reason there's only 256, because FF->255 and 0 is a valid addressing situation.

I'm pretty sure there can only be 4+4 bits in addressing the tile, iirc so :(

If you find out that there can be more than 4+4 in addressing you can certainly expand it to like 65536 tiles. Meanwhile FR has 4 maps so you could use that instead.
Two more stupid questions - can I add attack without removing existed one? For example I'm inserting lucario in FR rom and I want it to have aura sphere. But I don't want to remove any of existed attacks... Is that possible?

And can I expend number of attacks that all pokemons have and extend pokedex entried? Sound a bit stupid, I know>.< But I'm not sure how to tell this correctly in English...
We're working on it right now. You can pitch in if you want.

In a move there are the damage, effects, and animation. So far we know how to make a move up to damage and some minor effects. We're still working on the animation. So hang in there!

And no, you can't expand. It's built in to the system that every Pokémon has only four moves and frankly why in the hell would you want to change that part? It's really unnecessary.

Last edited:

dragonlolz

Legendary Hunter
Years
can someone help me with this

i want to make a hack that req 6 "pokemon".
but how do i add the pokemon to the inventory based on events.
i also want to disable ANY pokeballs.
thank you if you helped my out with this
ps. no i dont want users in my hacking team i work alone on this hack.

droomph

weeb
Years
can someone help me with this
wut

i want to make a hack that req 6 "pokemon".
Have an ASM script that checks the address of the sixth Pokémon, and as that isn't a moving address it should be easy enough to do.
but how do i add the pokemon to the inventory based on events.
The scripting command addpokemon. If you don't know how to script go ahead and search up an XSE tutorial.
i also want to disable ANY pokeballs.
Then...set a flag in the Pokéball routine and check a flag for a certain event where the Pokéball won't work. What do you even mean? If you disable Pokéballs then the whole purpose of the game is ruined.

rpg man

My new account is Critx
Years
Advanced map help

ok i just hacking my fire red and you know on advanced map there is a wild pokemon feature well i type the number 252 and when i play it comes out as missingo! did i use it wrong or what?

Years
  • Seen Aug 20, 2012
We're working on it right now. You can pitch in if you want.

In a move there are the damage, effects, and animation. So far we know how to make a move up to damage and some minor effects. We're still working on the animation. So hang in there!

And no, you can't expand. It's built in to the system that every Pokémon has only four moves and frankly why in the hell would you want to change that part? It's really unnecessary.
Thanks but I think I would be useless there) I'm just learning the hacking)

Umm, not that moves.. I meant that... how to tell this correctly... Ok, I'll try to explane

I used free pokemon slot (252 by index number) to create a lucario. But I can't give him any attack on lvl without removing them from other pokemon because there are limit for max number of pokemons attack by lvl. Can I expend this number couse on one hand I want this lucario in huck, but I dont want to remove any attacks from existed pokemons

redriders180

Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed
Years
Thanks but I think I would be useless there) I'm just learning the hacking)

Umm, not that moves.. I meant that... how to tell this correctly... Ok, I'll try to explane

I used free pokemon slot (252 by index number) to create a lucario. But I can't give him any attack on lvl without removing them from other pokemon because there are limit for max number of pokemons attack by lvl. Can I expend this number couse on one hand I want this lucario in huck, but I dont want to remove any attacks from existed pokemons

Each Pokemon has an "Attack Table", which can be repointed at will. The attack table is just the list of moves the Pokemon learn by level-up. I use Poke Edit Pro, because it allows easy repoint of the attack table.

ok i just hacking my fire red and you know on advanced map there is a wild pokemon feature well i type the number 252 and when i play it comes out as missingo! did i use it wrong or what?

In game, Pokemon 252 IS a missingno. Treecko is number 277. Consult this for the number you'll need

Years
  • Seen Jul 30, 2012
I suck at this so far! Questions go as:
  • How do I get wild Pokémon battles in caves?
  • When I insert sprites they're below their place.
  • Tileset inserting? I've tried all online, but they are really unclear. (AKA; formats etc.)
  • Overworld sprite inserting, is it possible?
Thankyou!

Years
  • Seen Jul 5, 2013
Hi, I got a problem with Advance Map:

I'm at the beginning of a hack and in Pallet Town, I just want to move the little girl on the left to some place else, but I can't manage to do it. I can move the other fat guy well, but this girl always reappears in front of the sign.

I've also removed all existing scripts, but nothing happened.

Also, when I tried to add a new OW character on the Oak's roof, that character disappears. I figured out maybe that's because the character is IN the building, but i need confirmation.

Thanks.

dragonlolz

Legendary Hunter
Years
wut

Have an ASM script that checks the address of the sixth Pokémon, and as that isn't a moving address it should be easy enough to do.The scripting command addpokemon. If you don't know how to script go ahead and search up an XSE tutorial.Then...set a flag in the Pokéball routine and check a flag for a certain event where the Pokéball won't work. What do you even mean? If you disable Pokéballs then the whole purpose of the game is ruined.

no, the game req that you have a max of 6 poke's because it is based on an anime, and they are with 6. that is why i want no pokeballs

Years
  • Seen Mar 15, 2014
Can anyone tell me how to install Advance Map on Windows 7 so that it actually works?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back