• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.
  • Want to share your adventures playing Pokémon?
    Check out our new Travel Journals forum for sharing playthroughs of ROM Hacks, Fan Games, and other Pokémon content!
  • IMPORTANT: Following a takedown request, the following hacks have been delisted from PokéCommunity:

• Pokémon Glazed
    • Pokémon: Giratina Strikes Back
    • Pokémon Flora Sky
    • Pokémon Stranded
    The downloads and discussion threads for these hacks will no longer be accessible, and staff will be unable to return questions regarding accessing this content.

ROM Hacking Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2020

ROM Hacking Discussions

ROM Hacking is something that needs to be discussed, and on a daily basis. The place to freely do that without spamming is Visitor Messages, Private Messages and the chat. But why not make a whole thread where ROM hackers can discuss, well ROM hacking? Whether it is discussing a hack, showcasing new skills or just general ROM hacking talk, it can be done here! This thread can also be used as a screenshot showcase, for people who don't have a thread for their hacks.
By Manipulation

Rules

• Discuss ROM Hacking topics only.
  • Discussions about a ROM Hack go to its thread if there is one.
  • No asking for help. For help, go to the Simple Questions or Script Help threads.
  • Map discussions go to the Map Rating/Review thread.
  • Shiny Gold discussion will be considered as off topic.

Last edited by a moderator:

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
Years
My intro ftw . Anyways, what shall we discuss? Shiny Gold? Well, I was thinking of finally doing some work on Shinite, any ideas on what we should do first?

colcolstyles

Yours truly
Years
Mm, good idea. This will probably clear up a bunch of threads in the main ROM Hacking forum that can be answered in a single post.
Let's see, what to talk about...
Oh yes! How 'bout why people don't like hacking Emerald? They claim it's "unstable" but I haven't seen any proof of that. I've been working with it for a little while now and I think it's great! Animated battle sprites, larger secondary tilesets (as opposed to FR/LG), more map "folders", all R/S/E and FR/LG music plus select tracks from G/S and even Crystal. I mean, what's not to love?

sasquatchd00d

welcoming a clean head.
Years
Mm, good idea. This will probably clear up a bunch of threads in the main ROM Hacking forum that can be answered in a single post.
Let's see, what to talk about...
Oh yes! How 'bout why people don't like hacking Emerald? They claim it's "unstable" but I haven't seen any proof of that. I've been working with it for a little while now and I think it's great! Animated battle sprites, larger secondary tilesets (as opposed to FR/LG), more map "folders", all R/S/E and FR/LG music plus select tracks from G/S and even Crystal. I mean, what's not to love?

I think the idea that Emerald is unstable stems from the fact that people are told that it's unstable in tutorials for Fire Red or Ruby. I'll admit I was once part of that ignorance that it was unstable. I guess people think it's unstable because of when they try to use a program with it, the program uses different pointers for different versions and therefore messes up the ROM.

I didn't realize there was so much space on Emerald. How much larger are the secondary tilesets? And I was also unaware of all the music choices. I'll have to experiment with Emerald. ^_^

EDIT:

As much as I hate to go off-topic, why are lengthy reviews that don't have number ratings in them being deleted in the Map Rating thread? Those lengthy reviews are more constructive, a lot more well though out than posts that say things such as, "THIS MAP IS AMAZING 10/10!". Yet those posts are not deleted while good constructive posts are. I fail to see the logic and reasoning behind this.

colcolstyles

Yours truly
Years
I think the idea that Emerald is unstable stems from the fact that people are told that it's unstable in tutorials for Fire Red or Ruby. I'll admit I was once part of that ignorance that it was unstable. I guess people think it's unstable because of when they try to use a program with it, the program uses different pointers for different versions and therefore messes up the ROM.
Yeah unfortunately people think it's unstable because, well, they think it's unstable. I think we need to somehow abolish that rumor. Hacking Emerald only causes problems when you overwrite existing data, as far as I know, or somehow mess with things too much.

I didn't realize there was so much space on Emerald. How much larger are the secondary tilesets? And I was also unaware of all the music choices. I'll have to experiment with Emerald. ^_^
Oh yeah, you gotta at least give it a try. The music is amazing! It gives you so much more freedom and it also helps in scripts because there's a track to go along with pretty much every situation you can think of^^
The thing with the tilesets is that the primary tileset is smaller but all of the secondary tilesets are larger. For me, personally, this is great because I always find I'm running out of room in the secondary tilesets. Not only that, you also get more blocks as well (as opposed to tiles) which is great for lots of block edits. Also, the primary indoors tileset (Tileset 20? Or is it 12? I'm not sure) is empty (except for a few PCs and random items) and all the palettes are blank as well. All indoor maps in R/S/E use the secondary tileset for all of their tiles/blocks, which gives you the option of filling the primary tileset with whatever you want!
Another thing: Emerald also comes along with all of the benefits of Ruby & Sapphire, including RTC (giving you the option of a Day/Night system), berries, Pokénav, tons more OWs, the list goes on and on. Be careful when you're experimenting with it though. It's very easy to get hooked ^^

Ooh, I forgot! And whenever you enter a town/route/city/underwater or whatever, the box that the name is displayed in changes, depending on the location!

More stuff: R/S/E tilesets hold up 512 tiles and can accommodate up to 512 blocks as well (512 == 0x1FF by the way).

Last edited:

sasquatchd00d

welcoming a clean head.
Years
Oh yeah, you gotta at least give it a try. The music is amazing! It gives you so much more freedom and it also helps in scripts because there's a track to go along with pretty much every situation you can think of^^
The thing with the tilesets is that the primary tileset is smaller but all of the secondary tilesets are larger. For me, personally, this is great because I always find I'm running out of room in the secondary tilesets. Not only that, you also get more blocks as well (as opposed to tiles) which is great for lots of block edits. Also, the primary indoors tileset (Tileset 20? Or is it 12? I'm not sure) is empty (except for a few PCs and random items) and all the palettes are blank as well. All indoor maps in R/S/E use the secondary tileset for all of their tiles/blocks, which gives you the option of filling the primary tileset with whatever you want!
Another thing: Emerald also comes along with all of the benefits of Ruby & Sapphire, including RTC (giving you the option of a Day/Night system), berries, Pokénav, tons more OWs, the list goes on and on. Be careful when you're experimenting with it though. It's very easy to get hooked ^^

Ooh, I forgot! And whenever you enter a town/route/city/underwater or whatever, the box that the name is displayed in changes, depending on the location!

More stuff: R/S/E tilesets hold up 512 tiles and can accommodate up to 512 blocks as well (512 == 0x1FF by the way).

Just wondering, is there more overworld palettes? And I knew about the box thing with routes showing like a wooden drop down. More blocks = more block edits = better maps. ^_^ I'm liking the sound of this already. It just sounds so much more powerful than Fire Red.

And a lot of room for new indoor tilesets interests me and sounds amazing. Now I'm really wishing I didn't have to leave for work now. I just want to try this stuff out, haha.

colcolstyles

Yours truly
Years
Just wondering, is there more overworld palettes? And I knew about the box thing with routes showing like a wooden drop down. More blocks = more block edits = better maps. ^_^ I'm liking the sound of this already. It just sounds so much more powerful than Fire Red.

And a lot of room for new indoor tilesets interests me and sounds amazing. Now I'm really wishing I didn't have to leave for work now. I just want to try this stuff out, haha.
I don't know about the overworld palettes, nor am I in a position to confirm that. Still, that's a good question. I'll have to look into it when I get the chance.
And on the topic of those drop-down box things, here's a little tip that I discovered just this morning: setting the flag "0x4000" will prevent the boxes from coming down. The flag is set in one of the early events, I believe, and I couldn't figure out why the boxes weren't showing up. I thought that it had something to do with the fact that I had changed the name of the town, which led me on a wild goose chase, looking through AdvanceMap, XSE, and even unLZ trying to find the problem^^
So just remember to "clearflag 0x4000" if they're not showing up.

As for the indoor primary tileset, I'm thinking of porting a lot of FR/LG indoor tiles, along with their respective palettes, to the empty tileset. If I ever do get around to it (which is highly unlikely^^), I'll probably post a patch in the ROM Hacking Resources thread.

sasquatchd00d

welcoming a clean head.
Years
Concerning Emerald's overworld palettes, I counted twenty five palettes whereas Fire Red only has nine and Ruby has seventeen. So inserting new overworlds will be quite easy in Emerald. Much more overworld diversity can be shown using Emerald. I'm actually surprised at how little Fire Red has.

And concerning the Fire Red interior tiles on Emerald, if anyone wants a patch I can do that fairly quickly. It will mostly be block editing to match the Fire Red blocks, but I'm sure that won't take that long.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022

Rules

• Shiny Gold discussion will be considered as off topic.

Epic rule is epic.

Wow. I might just take a little break from FR and take a look at Emerald. I mean, seriously, it has almost as many OW palettes as Ruby and FireRed do combined, which is awesome.

Lots of music sounds really nice, too; especially since I have plenty of music I want to insert. xD

sasquatchd00d said:
And concerning the Fire Red interior tiles on Emerald, if anyone wants a patch I can do that fairly quickly. It will mostly be block editing to match the Fire Red blocks, but I'm sure that won't take that long.

That would be nice. ^^

PlatniumPiano

You are now breathing manually
Years
Concerning Emerald's overworld palettes, I counted twenty five palettes whereas Fire Red only has nine and Ruby has seventeen. So inserting new overworlds will be quite easy in Emerald. Much more overworld diversity can be shown using Emerald. I'm actually surprised at how little Fire Red has.

Yeah maybe there will be more Emerald Hacks... That would be nice to see, as well as some tools that can be used to edit emerald data (with the right offsets lol). Speaking of which, is anybody making an attempt to create some tools to "stabalize", if you will, Emerald ROMs?

I need some help on shiny gold. I am at the *shot*

sasquatchd00d

welcoming a clean head.
Years
Am I doing something wrong or what? x_x

I already encountered problems trying to insert Fire Red indoor tiles into Emerald. For some reason the marts use tiles from the primary tileset even though they have their own secondary tileset. x_x
I'm pretty sure I could just remap them with the secondary tileset to fix this, but I'm lazy. I guess the only problem here is just my laziness. Whatever. I'll do it sometime soon.

Someone will probably point out an easier way to do this after I do it or something and I'll be like, *facepalm*.

EDIT:

Okay, maybe it's my ROM but when I block edit tiles from tileset 16, it block edits them automatically in tileset 17. Are they connected or what?

EDIT2:

*facepalm* on my part. I checked the tileset offsets in the header tab and they're nearly identical. I'm fairly certain I could fix this problem just by moving one of the tileset's data to a free offset.

Last edited:

colcolstyles

Yours truly
Years
Am I doing something wrong or what? x_x

I already encountered problems trying to insert Fire Red indoor tiles into Emerald. For some reason the marts use tiles from the primary tileset even though they have their own secondary tileset. x_x
I'm pretty sure I could just remap them with the secondary tileset to fix this, but I'm lazy. I guess the only problem here is just my laziness. Whatever. I'll do it sometime soon.

Someone will probably point out an easier way to do this after I do it or something and I'll be like, *facepalm*.

EDIT:

Okay, maybe it's my ROM but when I block edit tiles from tileset 16, it block edits them automatically in tileset 17. Are they connected or what?

EDIT2:

*facepalm* on my part. I checked the tileset offsets in the header tab and they're nearly identical. I'm fairly certain I could fix this problem just by moving one of the tileset's data to a free offset.

Unfortunately, the computer which I hack with doesn't have internet access so it's either hack or go on PC. Therefore, I can't really actively help you out on this one. Though I will experiment later and put any interesting findings up here later.

Well it's good to see I could convince a few people to give Emerald hacking a shot ^_^
Though I'm serious: if you already have another project (especially one on the FR/LG code base), you may want to stay away from Emerald, else you'll never go back^^
I've already discovered a few nifty tricks that you can only do in Emerald but, again, all my hacking stuff is on another computer. I'll post them later if anyone's interested.
Good luck with the tileset project!

Aljam

[i]Sweepin' ain't easy...[/i]
Years
I know... XD.

------------------------------------------------------
The one thing that i think should be discussed though are all those pointless tuts out there. I know that some of them are good, but the rest of them are just copies or "translated" into noob-speak. This may be a little dumb, but i think they should split the tuts into Two sections. One for easy and one for hard tuts. Or at least make an approval process, similar to teAM Ddiscussions, so we dont have a lot of, dare me say it, half-assed tutorials.

colcolstyles

Yours truly
Years
I may be wrong but I believe that threads submitted to Documents/Tutorials section are already on approval. Though I agree that a lot of tutorials cover the exact same thing, over and over again.

Tropical Sunlight

The Faltine
Years
RSE uses 2-tile door animations.
A way to fix this is, if you are inserting a FR styled door, don't do the upper tile, just fill it with the background color.
I hope this helps to nayone that could understand.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Sep 7, 2023
For anyone who's interested, I've just submitted a 'tool' to go in the Toolbox. Actually, it's technically an RMXP game with gameplay replaced by the ability to edit ROMs :P
I've only added one feature so far, which is a Pokémon icon editor; it's based on the scripts I used to insert every single D/P Pokémon icon for the '65535 Pokémon' project. Unlike IconED, it can actually import image files :O I'll add more features later; if inserting new Pokémon is your thing, then check it out when it gets approved.

Also, I made it compatible with the Pokémon Essentials icon naming scheme and image format, so you can technically import icons copied directly from there. The only problem is that I haven't implemented a numbering system converter yet, so you'll have to rename the images if you want to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back