• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Land of the Maple Leaf ~ Canadian Club

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
Hey! I'm Canadian. I didn't know about this. I be joining

Username: TRIFORCE89
Relation to Canada: I was born here and I live here
Favorite Province: Ontario
Reason for Joining (optional): Because.

I don't really understand the religious reason either. I can't think of a religion that would be against something like this. If anything, wouldn't most be okay with the idea of remembering and honouring those who fought and died to protect the greater good and peoples' rights? If the argument is that the Remembrance Day service is tied into a religious service... wtf are you doing at a religious school? @_@;
Apparently (or supposedly) some German and Muslim students (or more likely their parents) feel that its kinda blame-gamey somehow. No clue why it would be all of the sudden. Or why school's are accommodating that. If the parents have a problem for some reason, then keep them home that day. Ceremonies shouldn't be cancelled for other students.

Aero bars are from Europe, and since we are linked to the queen of England, we get some of Europe's goodies also :)
But not enough goodies. I love walking into British candy shops. So much rare stuff in there! Like walking into a time machine (apparently it used to all be readily available according to my parents), or Willy Wonka's chocolate factory

Hey Canadians! Check out today's Google Doodle :P

Last edited:
Years
I know right? ;_; a childhood without kindersurprise...

More "canadian" issue now that it's Rememberance day for us: there's some discussions lately that students can opt out of Rememberance day because it is "offensive." Parents can sign opt-out forms from Rememberance day related events in school. In this article, supposedly there's very little students who do this. One opted out of any/all patriotic events, while another cited religious reasons.

What do you think about this, fellow Canadians/Canada-lovers?

This comes off as awful strange to me. Even though there are quite a few people that oppose war, you can't deny that it has happened, so we're just respecting those that fought for our freedom. We aren't celebrating their victories, but rather thanking them for giving up their lives so we can live ours in relative peace (whether you agree with the motivation of the wars or not).

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
Years
I don't know... the Rememberance day thing is one time where I hope Canadians will honestly stand up more and draw a line somewhere between accommodating other beliefs and stand for a well recognized Canadian value... even if say someone's offended because they believe in complete pacificism, which is perfectly fine, it's still a great day to reflect and promote the atrocity of war for all.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
Those that we remember and reflect upon fought wars so that some may choose not to honour them. Which is fine. I know at least one school actually cut down their annual ceremony to accommodate that small number though. And that isn't fair to everyone else.

Cosmotone8

silhouette of the past
Years
I was so happy to see this club alive and doing well still, lol. I was worried it'd get locked up due to an inactive owner, but obviously not, thankfully. ;-_-
On the Rememberence Day topic, I don't see any excuse other than a religious reason (I.e. Jehovah's Witess, etc.) Why wouldn't you want to honor the dead? It's more offensive if you don't honor them, IMO. Almost as if you're taking there sacrifice forgranted, and they fought in vain to keep the country free. At least that's what I think.

Last edited:

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
Years
I don't even know if any religious reasons suffice, and I'm religious myself (though not Jehovah's Witness).

Time for a change of a more casual topic: remember all the hockey chats we have and how we made the sports and all? Why is it that lacrosse is our official sport again...? I always thought that it's hockey ~_~;;

and sadly West Edmonton Mall is now officially the 5th largest mall only ;~; a pity, even if it's a boring mall for guys.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
Here in Montreal, hockey is still a BIG part of people here. I remember in 2008, Montreal Canadien got eliminated from the Stanley Cup tourney, and we had a riot because so much people were so upset.
*We had to pay for the damage tho, 14.5% taxes don't go to waste here lol*

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
Years
Still have no idea what's with the Vancouver riots... I swear people just wanted a random excuse to riot and cause chaos, and it just so happens to be sports this time even in Canada ._.; thank goodness that those come by very rarely.

Years
Still have no idea what's with the Vancouver riots... I swear people just wanted a random excuse to riot and cause chaos, and it just so happens to be sports this time even in Canada ._.; thank goodness that those come by very rarely.
It was tough watching what was happening on TV knowing that it was only about 20 minutes away, because that's basically all it was- an excuse to destroy things and hopefully not get caught. I think there was something ridiculous like a quarter million people downtown watching the game, and by the time it was obvious that the Canucks were going to lose, a small handful of people started going crazy by breaking shop windows, setting cars on fire, etc. Granted, there were those people that stuck around while all this happened that helped contribute to everything, but realistically it was only about a few hundred people that really caused any destruction (most of whom would have done the same thing- win or lose). Looks like we won't have to worry about any riots this year with the way the lockout's going, though. :\

Time for a change of a more casual topic: remember all the hockey chats we have and how we made the sports and all? Why is it that lacrosse is our official sport again...? I always thought that it's hockey ~_~;;
Lacrosse is Canada's Summer sport, and Hockey is our official Winter Sport. Lacrosse was invented hundreds of years ago (by the Canadian Iroquois, I believe), and I think it mostly serves as a tribute to the history of the sport within the country.

Pvt Tamama

Chii!
Years
  • Seen Dec 4, 2012
Username: Pvt Tamama
Relation to Canada: i live in Saskatoon
Favorite Province: Saskatchewan
Reason for Joining (optional):I live in canada i guess ha

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
Years
Time for our new member to verify the myth:

Can you really see someone who stands like 10 km away because it's that flat over there? :D :D :D

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
iirc the drive from Saskatoon to Regina is actually pretty hilly! Generally it's super flat. You can't see someone 10km away because there's too much wheat in the way though. ;P (Or at least, you wouldn't be able to see me from far away because I'm too short to be seen over crops of any kind lmao.)

I think Saskatchewan has a ski hill though! But don't quote me on it. And don't be surprised if it's just a bunny hill. :P

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
iirc the drive from Saskatoon to Regina is actually pretty hilly! Generally it's super flat. You can't see someone 10km away because there's too much wheat in the way though. ;P (Or at least, you wouldn't be able to see me from far away because I'm too short to be seen over crops of any kind lmao.)

I think Saskatchewan has a ski hill though! But don't quote me on it. And don't be surprised if it's just a bunny hill. :P
...is there anywhere without wheat that you can stand? XD

Catalyst.

Nothing of significance
Years
I'm ShinySearcher01 with a new account! Can you update the memberlist please? :D
Well, aside from the fact that it's claimed there is nothing but flat land and wheat in Saskatchewan, how many people are knowledgeable about the Montreal Expo in '67?

I came across a coin released in '67 when I was rolling up some coins earlier this evening. http://typesets.wikidot.com/canada:1967-centennial-dime

Montreal Expo.. Hmm. it was a fair of some sort, and it was the namesake of the ill-fated Montreal Expos, no? /badwithhistory

Ahh, centennial coins... I'm a coin collector (which kind of contradicts the fact that I'm bad with hstory lol, but whatever) and have the whole set of them. If you want to see for yourself:

3345604483_c0595fc7d4.jpg

All are pretty common and very affordable on eBay or at coin collecting stores. :P

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
Years
I've.. never seen any of those coins. They're pretty neat =D

Never seen even the bird penny one either... or maybe I don't pay remotely enough attention to them. Whenever I see pennies, I just look for the first opportunity to get rid of them ><;; Can't wait for the day that penny is out of circulation!

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
Years
I *just* realized that there is a half-dollar there! Wow!
Makes the wolf coin even more special and awesome XD

Back