• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Oct 9, 2019
RE: NATDEX WORKS

Nvm, it worked once but now it doesnt. I open XSE and the script offset, and it has the nat dex info but i still only get the old dex. How do i fix this?
Uh... Could you perhaps post the script (in a spoiler tag, please) for us to look at, so we can see if there are errors in it? And which game are you working with? FireRed, right?

Years
  • Seen Sep 27, 2011
Hey I have a question is it possible to replace a pokemons moves? Like for example I want to change quick attack to " Roar of time " Is it possible to import it like importing a new sprite?

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
Hey I have a question is it possible to replace a pokemons moves? Like for example I want to change quick attack to " Roar of time " Is it possible to import it like importing a new sprite?
No, don't get rid of quick attack, do you want a bunch of Rattata that know Roar of Time?

The move animations can be edited in uNLZ, the effects and stats, in A-Tack. I'm not sure how to change the name of the moves themselves, but I know there is a way.

Years
  • Seen Sep 27, 2011
No, don't get rid of quick attack, do you want a bunch of Rattata that know Roar of Time?

The move animations can be edited in uNLZ, the effects and stats, in A-Tack. I'm not sure how to change the name of the moves themselves, but I know there is a way.

Haha nah i wasn't it was just an example, and do you mind linking me to " A-tack ". Much appreciated man.

EdensElite

No0b, but getting there.
Years
  • Age 29
  • UK
  • Seen Jul 4, 2014
Sorry, I wasn't clear enough, what I meant was, the flag that checks you have a pokemon, for the starters etc.

Also, What the easiest way of replacing a pokemon's cry?

Years
  • Seen Sep 25, 2011
I can't be bothered to go through 788 pages of ROM hacking, so can someone please tell me (or give me a program/tutorial) how to put sprites from a Gen. IV/V 'mon into a Gen. III game?

Years
  • Seen Sep 27, 2011
I can't be bothered to go through 788 pages of ROM hacking, so can someone please tell me (or give me a program/tutorial) how to put sprites from a Gen. IV/V 'mon into a Gen. III game?

At least check the forum before asking a question... if your looking for a tutorial its kind of obvious that it would be in the TUTORIAL Section...

Years
  • Seen Oct 9, 2019
Sorry, I wasn't clear enough, what I meant was, the flag that checks you have a pokemon, for the starters etc.
Flags don't check for anything, but they can be set or unset by other things that check things.

If you're referring to the "Pokemon" option in the Start Menu, though, then you would need to set flag 0x828 in FireRed. You can find other flags listed in XSE's "std.rbh" (which maps numerical values to textual names, so that you don't need to memorize so much).

I can't be bothered to go through 788 pages of ROM hacking,
You don't need to.

so can someone please tell me (or give me a program/tutorial) how to put sprites from a Gen. IV/V 'mon into a Gen. III game?
Download any one of several Pokemon-editing programs from the "Toolbox" section. Find the Gen IV sprites you want to insert. Scale them down to 64x64px in an image editor -- and don't use resampling or anti-aliasing. Insert into the ROM using a program from the Toolbox.

If you have palette issues, make sure that the front and back sprites use the exact same sixteen colors. (In Gen IV, the two are allowed to have different palettes. The same is not true for Gen III.)

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Nov 6, 2014
Anybody got opcodes for the givepokemon command? (0x79)
Turns out changing the Pokemon level is simple enough, but it's just that number and nothing else.

Adding experience will bug the game out, at numerous factors, because multiple things need to be calculated.
So I thought: If we have the opcodes to the givepokemon command, we could create another custom routine which would enter the level as a word instead of byte, and make it do the level and other necessary calculations on it's own.

Even opcodes on applying Rare Candy would be nice too (we could strip it and make it loop for the necessary number of levels for it to be applied, without all the eyecandy stuff, like the funfare's or animations, just simple leveling up for about 50 times :) ).

Years
  • Seen Oct 9, 2019
Anybody got opcodes for the givepokemon command? (0x79)
Turns out changing the Pokemon level is simple enough, but it's just that number and nothing else.
You're heading in the right direction.

Check the FireRed script command reference in my signature. In its appendix is a brief section on how to find the pointer to any script command's ASM. Find it, and then follow it, and bam! There's your ASM.

So I thought: If we have the opcodes to the givepokemon command, we could create another custom routine which would enter the level as a word instead of byte, and make it do the level and other necessary calculations on it's own.
Precisely.

You may find this information useful when trying to understand the givepokemon ASM:

The ASM routine at 0x080698F8 extracts a halfword argument from the script currently being read, and stores it in r0.

The ASM routine at 0x0806E568 will check if the value in r0 is a reference to a variable (above 0x3FFF, basically). If so, it extracts that value and stores it in r0. Otherwise, r0 is untouched.

Game Freak uses the above two as follows:

call 0x080698F8
lsl r0, r0, #0x10
lsr r0, r0, #0x10 // this and above line force to halfword. redundant, but hey.
call 0x0806E568
// And now r0 equals the specified word-or-variable argument.

0x0806E6D0 grabs the value of a variable or flag referred to by r0.

And finally, a tip: don't edit givepokemon itself, as that will break compatibility with XSE. Instead, create a copy to be called using "callasm". You will not be able to read in arguments from the script itself, but you could have it work any number of different ways. (For example, have it check the values of pre-specified variables that you would set just prior to the "callasm"; or have it load the values of the four script banks, if you wish to pass in dword arguments...)

EDIT: Oh, one more thing. Givepokemon actually sets certain script variables and possibly flags depending on where the Pokemon ends up. It sets 0x4037 (IIRC) to the PC box a Pokemon is sent to (if the party is full), and it sets LASTRESULT to 0x0 if the Pokemon was stored to the party, 0x1 if to the PC, and 0x2 if both the party and the PC are full (no Pokemon given).

Years
  • Seen Nov 6, 2014
Thank you again for all the helpful info. I'm not that efficient with ASM yet, but I'm getting there..

And finally, a tip: don't edit givepokemon itself, as that will break compatibility with XSE.
Yes, of course, it may mess things up where it's actually used in the game too, not just in scripting... Like when OAK gives you the starter...

I was thinking of making an exact same function, cloning it if you will, and call that in XSE, or PKSV.

Years
  • Seen Dec 26, 2013
My rom patches give me a blank screen ive moved it to flash 128k also its this paych to firered do i need to name it something different? this is the name
Shattered Dreams Alpha.rar i go to lunarips press create choose Pokemon - Fire Red.GBA and then select Shattered Dreams Alpha.rar it creates it then i go to apply and select it to the firered save and i get a white screen what do i do?
ww.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=249368

Darthatron

巨大なトロール。
Years
My rom patches give me a blank screen ive moved it to flash 128k also its this paych to firered do i need to name it something different? this is the name
Shattered Dreams Alpha.rar i go to lunarips press create choose Pokemon - Fire Red.GBA and then select Shattered Dreams Alpha.rar it creates it then i go to apply and select it to the firered save and i get a white screen what do i do?
ww.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=249368

You need to un-rar it. There should be a .IPS file inside the .RAR file.

http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm

Years
  • Seen Dec 26, 2013
thank you so much dude ive been stuck on this new pc and all so i dont have many programs downloaded thx again :)

Years
  • Seen Feb 6, 2012
Speed up rom

I'm running gameboy games like blue red and yellow on my ds but i hate how slow you play and can't be bother with overclocking my ds or finding a speed up app :P is there a way to increase the speed of the rom?

Thrasher24

~Legendary Master~
Years
Uh... Could you perhaps post the script (in a spoiler tag, please) for us to look at, so we can see if there are errors in it? And which game are you working with? FireRed, right?

Emerald. It worked the first time i did it, than it just stopped.

Spoiler:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back