The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development

Notices

Game Development Your number one stop for anything related to creating games (except ROM hacks). You can even make your own!

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old June 14th, 2014, 10:53 AM
Florio
Pokemon Crimson Skies Owner

Nature: Lax
Here are some maps that I have been working on.

The first is called KingRidge City, it is a city in my region that is by a beach and the King of my region lives there (yes, my region has a King). Note: The buildings don't have doors because I am using event's for them, except the apartment complexes which you can't get inside because they are locked. Also the top left trees that are Honey trees are there because if you go in that direction you go to a map called "Honey Patch".

Spoiler:

The second is the Gym in KingRidge City, it is an Electric-type based Gym. There are 3 colored levers with 3 corresponding colored gates that open when you switch them, once they are all activated you can get to the Gym Leader.

Spoiler:

Constructive criticism is welcome.
Old June 14th, 2014, 11:20 AM
Saving Raven
Original Creator of Pokémon X

Nature: Sassy
Send a message via Skype™ to Saving Raven
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florio View Post
Here are some maps that I have been working on.

The first is called KingRidge City, it is a city in my region that is by a beach and the King of my region lives there (yes, my region has a King). Note: The buildings don't have doors because I am using event's for them, except the apartment complexes which you can't get inside because they are locked. Also the top left trees that are Honey trees are there because if you go in that direction you go to a map called "Honey Patch".

Spoiler:
I'm not to big on criticizing gyms, it's an interesting idea, and a very common thing for gyms (your way of going about it I mean). My only qualm about it is that it seems too short and easy, though it might be nice with the right amount of trainers, maybe expand the end part so you fight 1 or 2 more trainers before reaching the leader.

The town on the other hand needs work. It's a nice looking city, very neat and orderly, but it seems a bit boring and empty. It's a good place to start, but you can expand on it, improve it, add some dark alleys maybe?
I don't know exactly, but in a town with a king I'd expect....more, it seems very mediocre, and empty for a king - I'd expect a buzzing city, with lavish decor and buildings, and some poor alleys for the dregs.

Also the "castle" clashes with the style of the town and the whole tileset you're using, either edit the castle or edit the tileset

~My Deviantart - Litharreon Wiki - Litharreon Game Download~

Old June 14th, 2014, 11:42 AM
Florio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saving Raven View Post
I'm not to big on criticizing gyms, it's an interesting idea, and a very common thing for gyms (your way of going about it I mean). My only qualm about it is that it seems too short and easy, though it might be nice with the right amount of trainers, maybe expand the end part so you fight 1 or 2 more trainers before reaching the leader.

The town on the other hand needs work. It's a nice looking city, very neat and orderly, but it seems a bit boring and empty. It's a good place to start, but you can expand on it, improve it, add some dark alleys maybe?
I don't know exactly, but in a town with a king I'd expect....more, it seems very mediocre, and empty for a king - I'd expect a buzzing city, with lavish decor and buildings, and some poor alleys for the dregs.

Also the "castle" clashes with the style of the town and the whole tileset you're using, either edit the castle or edit the tileset
Thanks for the criticism, I appreciate it. I agree you were right about the Gym needing to be bigger, so I went ahead and upgraded it. Here is the new upgraded Lightning Gym. There is a total of 7 trainers inside the gym, all which must be defeated to activate the levers to get to the Gym Leader.

Spoiler:

And your right the City does seem a bit boring, it doesn't seem as boring while playing it though. I'll try to liven it up a bit. But the region is more of a mountainous region and doesn't have a dense population, so you wouldn't have all that fancy stuff. There is a fair amount of people walking around in-game. But I'll try a few more things to make it better.

Here are two other maps I've been working on. The first is a town called DrillDirt Town. There is a mine in the town that was mined very deeply, but nothing valuable was found except some rare Pokemon. It is called DrillDirt Town because all that was dug up was a bunch of dirt. The town has a small population, and as you can see the entrance to the mine is to the right of the map. Note: Door's are missing once again because as I said before there is event's for the door's.
Spoiler:

The second map is the entrance floor to the mine (I still haven't thought of a good name. I'm either going to go with DrillDirt Mine, Digger's Tunnel, Digger's Cave, or DrillDirt Tunnel. Anyone tell me which you think sounds best). As you can see it goes fairly deep because of the digging/mining. The pylon's are there for safety reasons. This is only the first map of the mine and it goes a lot deeper, and at the bottom is a Ground-type Gym. Some of the wild Pokemon in this Mine/Tunnel/Cave will be Sandshrew, Drilbur, Gible, Diglett, Makuhita, Geodude, Onix, etc.
Spoiler:

Last edited by Florio; June 14th, 2014 at 03:11 PM.
Old June 18th, 2014, 01:52 PM
Nakasu
Never Turn Back

Nature: Gentle
I would love some feedback on my map.
Spoiler:

Pokemon Normal Version Walkthrough|My Whack a Hack! Profile|My Piano Youtube Channel
Old June 18th, 2014, 04:59 PM
Florio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakasu View Post
I would love some feedback on my map.
Spoiler:
It looks really good but the path looks a little strange (it should be continuous imo), and the patchy grass tiles don't really belong in towns, only on routes.
Old June 22nd, 2014, 05:45 PM
Saving Raven

I'm working on remapping a lot of areas, but I'm stuck on this city. How can I improve it?
Spoiler:

Old June 22nd, 2014, 07:49 PM
Java's Missingno.
The Electric Mayhem

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
I'm working on remapping a lot of areas, but I'm stuck on this city. How can I improve it?
Spoiler:

Personally, I'd add another level of elevation to part of the town to give it a more rugged feel.

Old June 23rd, 2014, 05:20 PM
Umbreon
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
Quote:
Spoiler:

There's some errors with the trees.

Such as in the upper left corner, a corner of a cliff is on the lower left portion of a tree.

Also, right by the right side gym there is a line of 3 trees that look abnormally large compared to the rest of the trees. (As well as one of the tree's top is cut off right below them)
Old 4 Weeks Ago, 07:48 PM
iDeathly

@Florio

I think the big building does not fit into the city cause of its colours.
With diffrent colours (not that bright) it would look really good.

But i like the idea of the gym tho.
Old 4 Weeks Ago, 09:55 PM
Rayquaza.
Lead Dev in Pokémon Chaos

Nature: Adamant
Quote:
Spoiler:

Am I seriously the only one who thinks the styles of tiles on this map really don't go together?
I mean there are gen III buildings, grass and pathways from FR/LG and there are gen IV tiles from HGSS.

Don't get me wrong, aside from some small , mapping errors, the map is fine but the two different styles just don't do it for me.
Old 4 Weeks Ago, 05:09 AM
Saving Raven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayquaza. View Post
Am I seriously the only one who thinks the styles of tiles on this map really don't go together?
I mean there are gen III buildings, grass and pathways from FR/LG and there are gen IV tiles from HGSS.

Don't get me wrong, aside from some small , mapping errors, the map is fine but the two different styles just don't do it for me.
They're minor things, I never liked the trees or the mountains, the other stuff as well is simply things that look better in gen 4, I did this a long time ago and I won't change it, if rom-hacking can pull it off, I can too. They're just about the same but I like them better for fr/lg
I could probably see what you mean about the berry trees, but until I find a better one I'll stick with it

Old 4 Weeks Ago, 06:13 AM
iDeathly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayquaza. View Post

Thats because the 5 green buildings do have 2 diffrent green colours
But i do not think its that bad.

___
Edit:
Alright guys, it's time to show you the map i created yesterday.
Would love to hear your opionion.
Programm used: Tiled

All my credis:
Spoiler:
chaoticcherrycake,Kyle-Dove,Heavy-Metal-Lover,WesleyFG,Dewitty, Zetavares852,XDinky,Newtiteuf,Alucus,Erma96,Hydrargirium,Poison-Master, Thedeadheroalistair,Shutwig,Asdsimone,Xxdevil, Steinnaples, Hek-el-grande,sylver1984,NikNak93,TeaAddiction , Cuddlesthefatcat,Magiscarf,Gigatom,
The-RedeX,ChaoticCherryCake,0NegaXFMP0,PeekyChew,alucus,Tratas

Last edited by iDeathly; 4 Weeks Ago at 06:07 AM. Reason: Map + Credits
Old 4 Weeks Ago, 02:25 PM
BadSamaritan
Its time for overtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDeathly View Post
Alright guys, it's time to show you the map i created yesterday.
Would love to hear your opionion.
Programm used: Tiled
Woah, first things first, those swimmers on the left with nothing but floating heads scares the hell out of me! I guess that's the reason nintendo never made clear water lol

Anyways, I really enjoy the map overall. It just has a fun, easygoing vibe to it.

The only criticism I could give, and this totally depends on what the town/building is for, is that you should be able to access any part of building without having to enter the grass. If the building is just a rest area, then its fine as is, but if its something you'll come back to occasionally, I'd separate them.
Old 4 Weeks Ago, 02:39 PM
iDeathly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickyboy View Post
Woah, first things first, those swimmers on the left with nothing but floating heads scares the hell out of me! I guess that's the reason nintendo never made clear water lol

Anyways, I really enjoy the map overall. It just has a fun, easygoing vibe to it.

The only criticism I could give, and this totally depends on what the town/building is for, is that you should be able to access any part of building without having to enter the grass. If the building is just a rest area, then its fine as is, but if its something you'll come back to occasionally, I'd separate them.
Oh.. i did not even think about the swimmers haha
Well.. i actually just build what i was thinking at that moment.. it liked the building tiles and all the posibilitys so i build something with it
But you are right, if it was a real game people should be able to go to a safe area without encountering some pokemons.
Thanks
Old 2 Weeks Ago, 10:34 AM
mushimaster

This is a screenshot from the Main Map for the game I am designing. It has 1,000,000 tiles in it. The problem I now face is that I cannot find a website to post a full resolution image on. The file is pretty big. Does anyone know of a photo website I could use or should I put it on a file hosting website for download? I can also take many much smaller pictures and load all of them online.
Old 2 Weeks Ago, 10:46 AM
Roaming Murkrow
I wish i could put my money on a USB

Send a message via Skype™ to Roaming Murkrow
Quote:
Originally Posted by mushimaster View Post

This is a screenshot from the Main Map for the game I am designing. It has 1,000,000 tiles in it. The problem I now face is that I cannot find a website to post a full resolution image on. The file is pretty big. Does anyone know of a photo website I could use or should I put it on a file hosting website for download? I can also take many much smaller pictures and load all of them online.
I like the Mew shaped island.

I would say just put together a bunch of small pictures.
Old 2 Weeks Ago, 05:25 AM
Gexeys

Nature: Adamant
Quote:
Spoiler:

Can't really see anything without the fullsized image, the mapping seems very unrefined from what I can see. Can't really comment more than that.

What are you making this on platform wise? What ever this is it will have to hold a lot of information, such as events, wild encounters etc
Old 2 Weeks Ago, 10:06 AM
mushimaster

A few posts above is a fully zoomed out view of the entire map. Here are some screenshots of different environments within the map. The towns are not finished. Most likely I am going to redo all of them, since they were some of the first things I tiled. I am using a program called Tiled written in C++ and I am planing to use the rendering software included in that program to write my final game. Wild encounters are all randomly generated. The further away from the cities/towns the player goes, the higher the level pokemon will be encountered.

Desert
Spoiler:

Jungle
Spoiler:

Lower Forest
Spoiler:

Meadows
Spoiler:

Middle Forest
Spoiler:

Rocky Mountains
Spoiler:

Snowy Mountains
Spoiler:

Swamp
Spoiler:

Upper Forest
Spoiler:
Old 2 Weeks Ago, 12:56 PM
Saving Raven

Quote:
A few posts above is a fully zoomed out view of the entire map. Here are some screenshots of different environments within the map. The towns are not finished. Most likely I am going to redo all of them, since they were some of the first things I tiled. I am using a program called Tiled written in C++ and I am planing to use the rendering software included in that program to write my final game. Wild encounters are all randomly generated. The further away from the cities/towns the player goes, the higher the level pokemon will be encountered.
Spoiler:

Desert
Spoiler:

Jungle
Spoiler:

Lower Forest
Spoiler:

Meadows
Spoiler:

Middle Forest
Spoiler:

Rocky Mountains
Spoiler:

Snowy Mountains
Spoiler:

Swamp
Spoiler:

Upper Forest
Spoiler:
I know that you're going for a different kind of Pokemon game, but because of that it's difficult to critique your maps. They're too open and it's hard to tell where the player is supposed to go, but that's something you wanted to do, let the player roam around. Because there is so much open space it's very difficult to actually give good feedback on the maps.

Old 2 Weeks Ago, 01:42 PM
mushimaster

Quote:
I know that you're going for a different kind of Pokemon game, but because of that it's difficult to critique your maps. They're too open and it's hard to tell where the player is supposed to go, but that's something you wanted to do, let the player roam around. Because there is so much open space it's very difficult to actually give good feedback on the maps.
I definitely see what your saying, it is very open. As I finish my final script, I will start adding more unique things to help fill this space. Random trainer generation will also help fill the space. The reason I made it so big was to help the player from taking a few steps in the wrong direction and suddenly being overwhelmed by a much higher level (since the further from towns the player goes the higher the level). I also wanted to take a page from the elder scrolls and not make everything so compact. Actually make the player have to go explore.

Mainly I would like people's insight into how the actual terrain looks. Does it have the look and feel of a desert or a swamp. Some places still need finishing touches like more rocks or flowers but I tried to make each area unique with it's own feel with how the player moves through that environment. I also included areas that show volcanoes (fire pokemon), graveyards (ghost) and windmills (electric). Comments on the overall look for an area would be greatly appreciated at this point.
Old 1 Week Ago, 03:02 PM
Atomic Reactor
@atomicreactor
Community Supporter

Nature: Rash
You can use DeviantArt to upload a huge image like that. I'd like to see it in it's entirety.
Old 1 Week Ago, 07:52 PM
mushimaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Reactor View Post
You can use DeviantArt to upload a huge image like that. I'd like to see it in it's entirety.
Thanks! The full resolution image was still too big even when I compressed the image under 80MB. The image is 256 Megapixels. The limit is 200MP. So I cropped the image down to not include the parts of the map I haven't really started like the islands. Here is the link, I would suggest downloading the image instead of trying to view it in your browser. Please any constructive feedback would be great!!

http://sta.sh/015roq6txm02
Old 1 Week Ago, 09:44 AM
desbrina
Lightning Yellow Creator

Nature: Quiet
Whats coming up in the next PLY version

A Pokemon Yellow remake, using HGSS Tiles, and the ability to obtain all Kanto Pokemon as well as their previous/later evolutions.

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links