• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: FireRed 649 Patch

Hack save routine for extra saveable space? Would break compatibility with flashcarts

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Jun 11, 2021
I set the value at 0x763178 to accommodate649 Pokemon without getting the National Dex and noticed some problems when Iset it to have all 649 in:

Only the "NumericalMode" was affected by changing the value, it still had only the first 151 everywhere else. (Though the numbers to change that may be elsewhere)

"Lightest Mode"only has it up to Dratini

"Smallest Mode" lists the Pokemon, then relists them from "TypeMode"

And when I checked it with the National Dex enabled, I noticedthat Dustox's current sprite is a palette swap of Altered Forme Giratina.

And for the new Pokemon, with size comparison, both the Pokemon and Trainer are scaled down and don't fill as much space as with the first 386

And Dusknoir's footprint sprite seems bugged

Same with Shellos (East Side at least)

And it's marked 649 for Kanto, but 650 for national for some reason

And I'd argue for mixing the pages of Gen IV and V with those of the earlier gens, but, eh…

EDIT: Also, if you haven't narrowed it to the Pokedex yet, I think the Pokedex may have troubles displaying Burmy's sprite.

And the lightest and smallest modes bug when you have the National Dex.

And Genesect's Pokedex Entry has Trash-cloak Wormadam as a sprite and Keldeo's is Trash-cloak Burmy

Also, I don't think you gave Kricketot or Kricketune a habitat

Last edited:

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
I set the value at 0x763178 to accommodate649 Pokemon without getting the National Dex and noticed some problems when Iset it to have all 649 in:

Only the "NumericalMode" was affected by changing the value, it still had only the first 151 everywhere else. (Though the numbers to change that may be elsewhere)

Expected behaviour. The other modes haven't yet had the hack applied properly yet. The numbers for length are indeed called elsewhere.

"Lightest Mode"only has it up to Dratini

"Smallest Mode" lists the Pokemon, then relists them from "TypeMode"

Lulwut!

And when I checked it with the National Dex enabled, I noticedthat Dustox's current sprite is a palette swap of Altered Forme Giratina.

Lemme guess, it looks like Giratina with Dustox's pallet? I probably screwed up one of the pointers.

And for the new Pokemon, with size comparison, both the Pokemon and Trainer are scaled down and don't fill as much space as with the first 386

Known issue. Stated as "all Pokémon Pikachu sized in comparison" in bugs list.

And Dusknoir's footprint sprite seems bugged

Same with Shellos (East Side at least)

There's a few with such bugs with their footprints, unfortunately.

And it's marked 649 for Kanto, but 650 for national for some reason

Known counting bug. Easy fix - if I ever find the correct location again. Although, had you caught all 649 by in game means, you would not see this.

And I'd argue for mixing the pages of Gen IV and V with those of the earlier gens, but, eh…

EDIT: Also, if you haven't narrowed it to the Pokedex yet, I think the Pokedex may have troubles displaying Burmy's sprite.

And the lightest and smallest modes bug when you have the National Dex.

And Genesect's Pokedex Entry has Trash-cloak Wormadam as a sprite and Keldeo's is Trash-cloak Burmy

They don't have any sprites at all. The reason it displays those sprites is that I used those slots to insert the alternate sprites for Burmy and Wormadam.

Also, I don't think you gave Kricketot or Kricketune a habitat

I may have missed them.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jun 11, 2021

Tried playing with the patch with the Kanto Pokemon allhaving movesets. When I tried pulling up the Pokemon menu for Pokemon that don'tyet have movesets (Kricketot and Kricketune specifically), "Summary" and "Teleport"were displaying random characters instead of the text they were supposed tohave.

Also, most of the Pokemon that get new abilities for Gen IVdon't have them in the patch:

Pidgey, Pidgeotto, and Pidgeot don't have Tangled Feet, TheNidos don't have Rivalry, Clefairy, Clefable, and Cleffa don't have MagicGuard, Paras and Parasect don't have Dry Skin, Venonat, Venomoth, and Illumisedon't have Tinted Lens, Meowth, Persian, Scyther, Scizor, Smeargle, andHitmontop don't have Technician, Mankey, Primeape, and Tauros don't have AngerPoint, Machop, Machoke, and Machamp don't have No Guard, Seel and Dewgong don'thave Hydration, Shellder and Cloyster don't have Skill Link, Drowzee, Hypno,Jynx and Smoochum don't have Forewarn, Hitmonlee doesn't have Reckless,Hitmonchan doesn't have Iron Fist, Kangaskhan and Miltank don't have Scrappy, Horsea,Seadra, Remoraid, Octillery, and Kingdra don't have Sniper, Mr. Mime doesn't haveFilter, Pinsir doesn't have Mold Breaker, Eevee doesn't have Adaptability, Hoppip,Skiploom, and Jumpluff don't have Leaf Guard, Sunkern, Sunflora, and Tropiusdon't have Solar Power, Murkrow and Absol don't have Super Luck, Shuckle,Zigzagoon, and Linoone don't have Glutttony, Granbull, Teddiursa, Ursaring,Poochyena, and Mightyena don't have Quick Feet, Stantler, Shuppet and Banettedon't have Frisk, Tyrogue doesn't have Steadfast, Shroomish and Breloom don'thave Poison Heal, Skitty and Delcatty don't have Normalize, Sableye doesn'thave Stall, Numel doesn't have Simple, Camerupt doesn't have Solid Rock, Barboachand Whiscash don't have Anticipation, and Snorunt, Glalie, Spheal, Sealeo, andWalrein don't have Ice Body.

Also, some things relating to moves:

Feint is listed as having the same effect as Roost

U-Turn, Close Combat, Embargo, Psycho Shift, Trump Card,Heal Block, Power Trick, Gastro Acid, Me First, and Copycat are on Effect Table0

Defog, in addition to lowering the target's evasion, should clear away Light Screen, Reflect, Safeguard,Mist, Spikes, Toxic Spikes and Stealth Rock on the target's side of the field.

Bug Bite currently has "Raises user's attack" as its effect(and is in effect table 0)

Spacial Rend should have a power of 100 and an accuracy of95

Struggle Bug should lower Special Attack rather than SpecialDefense

Horn Leech currently burns the target

And thought of another early attack that needs an effectchange: Tail Glow should raise the user's Special Attack 3 stages.

And I assume you'll fix the Makes Contact/Affected byProtect/etc. thing for the new moves later

Also, sorry if you've addressed it earlier, but do you planon incorporating hidden abilities in this?

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018

Also, sorry if you've addressed it earlier, but do you planon incorporating hidden abilities in this?

Thanks for the bugs and issues, once again. I'll get round to fixing them when I can.

Of that list, only Close Combat should actually be on effect table 0. However, many of the moves do not yet have their effects actually put in. I copied and pasted the original table onto the end of the repointed table, so those moves you listed probably share their effect ID and table with the original move which was copied.

This also is why the "affected by..." things are wrong.

As to the hidden abilities - the abilities themselves have been/will be implemented, but as of right now, I don't have a way to implement the actual hidden ability aspect. If I find a way to do so, I'll implement it! :)

Years
  • Seen Aug 2, 2023
I know it won't happen due it the difficulty of scripting it, but having the pokeradar in this patch would make it truely unbeatable. It'd be the first game to have all 649 pokes, every move, every ability, AND the possibility to get shinies using an awesome minigame :D

Come on, a guy can dream, right?

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
As to the hidden abilities - the abilities themselves have been/will be implemented, but as of right now, I don't have a way to implement the actual hidden ability aspect. If I find a way to do so, I'll implement it! :)

It's probably bad form to quote yourself, but I have more to add to this.

I did some quick research and found a potential location to keep a bit in the Pokémon data which would define the Pokémon as having its hidden ability. This would have to be combined with a completely custom table which defines which hidden ability each species can have.

However, that all depends on what the "language" is used for in the game, and how often it gets used. I already know I'd need to modify one piece of my own code to work with the changes.

I know it won't happen due it the difficulty of scripting it, but having the pokeradar in this patch would make it truely unbeatable. It'd be the first game to have all 649 pokes, every move, every ability, AND the possibility to get shinies using an awesome minigame :D

Come on, a guy can dream, right?

Not gonna happen. Sorry. The only way we know to up the ratio of shinies is a "poor" way of doing it, in so far as it restricts what natures and abilities the Pokémon can have on generation. (Ignoring the other, more obvious difficulties in doing it).

Years
  • Seen Aug 2, 2023
It's probably bad form to quote yourself, but I have more to add to this.

I did some quick research and found a potential location to keep a bit in the Pokémon data which would define the Pokémon as having its hidden ability. This would have to be combined with a completely custom table which defines which hidden ability each species can have.

However, that all depends on what the "language" is used for in the game, and how often it gets used. I already know I'd need to modify one piece of my own code to work with the changes.

Not gonna happen. Sorry. The only way we know to up the ratio of shinies is a "poor" way of doing it, in so far as it restricts what natures and abilities the Pokémon can have on generation. (Ignoring the other, more obvious difficulties in doing it).

@hidden abilities: Wow, that would actually be so cool! Certain hidden ability pokemon could be placed around a game as an extra reward or something.

@Pokeradar: Understandable :P I wasn't expecting anything there at all

And once again I have a question about one of the game's mechanics (sorry), but has Metronome been altered to pick from all of the new moves as well? I don't really know how it works but I assume it selects a random number then looks at a table to see what move that should correspond to. So theoretically the game would need to be told that it can pick from the new move slots as well.

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
And once again I have a question about one of the game's mechanics (sorry), but has Metronome been altered to pick from all of the new moves as well? I don't really know how it works but I assume it selects a random number then looks at a table to see what move that should correspond to. So theoretically the game would need to be told that it can pick from the new move slots as well.

I never thought about metronome. Huh. I'd imagine it generates a random number between 1 and 350 (or whatever the length of the movelist is, I can't recall off the top of my head). It'd probably be a very simple change, but, as of right now, no. It hasn't been updated.

ETA: I'd rather you asked than sat in silence, confused or wondering. Sometimes, like your question about Metronome, it points me in the direction of a bug, or something which needs updated. :)

ETA2: Fixed the Metronome thing. It can now choose any move from the list, instead of just Gens 1-3. Be prepared for some weird behaviour if it picks a move which isn't properly implemented!

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jun 11, 2021
On the note of Metronome, there are some attacks it shouldn't be able to call: After You, Assist, Bestow, Chatter, Copycat, Counter, Covet, Destiny Bond, Detect, Endure, Feint, Focus Punch, Follow Me, Freeze Shock, Helping Hand, Ice Burn, Me First, Mimic, Mirror Coat, Mirror Move, Nature Power, Protect, Quash, Quick Guard, Rage Pwder, Relic Song, Secret Sword, Sketch, Sleep Talk, Snarl, Snatch, Snore, Struggle, Switcheroo, Techno Blast, Thief, Transform, Trick, Wide Guard, and V-Create.

On that note, have you fixed up Sketch to not be able to sketch Chatter and Assist not be able to use itself or the other moves it can't call in Gen V?

Then again, you shouldn't be able to use Chatter the way you can in Gen IV (with the microphone) , so you could probably have those moves be able to call it...

EDIT: Also, in the Alphabetical Order Meditite is listed both between Braviary and Bronzong and in its usual place

Last edited:

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
On the note of Metronome, there are some attacks it shouldn't be able to call: After You, Assist, Bestow, Chatter, Copycat, Counter, Covet, Destiny Bond, Detect, Endure, Feint, Focus Punch, Follow Me, Freeze Shock, Helping Hand, Ice Burn, Me First, Mimic, Mirror Coat, Mirror Move, Nature Power, Protect, Quash, Quick Guard, Rage Pwder, Relic Song, Secret Sword, Sketch, Sleep Talk, Snarl, Snatch, Snore, Struggle, Switcheroo, Techno Blast, Thief, Transform, Trick, Wide Guard, and V-Create.

On that note, have you fixed up Sketch to not be able to sketch Chatter and Assist not be able to use itself or the other moves it can't call in Gen V?

Then again, you shouldn't be able to use Chatter the way you can in Gen IV (with the microphone) , so you could probably have those moves be able to call it...

EDIT: Also, in the Alphabetical Order Meditite is listed both between Braviary and Bronzong and in its usual place

Thanks again! I'll see if I can track down the list of moves it can't call in gen 3 (it can't call itself for example, so there has to be something there already) and add these moves to the can't use list.

I'm wondering, have you implemented Sturdy's 5th Gen effect / plan on adding it?

Haven't yet, but I plan to, now that you've alerted me to it being inconsistent. You need to remember that I've been concentrating on the new abilities/moves as opposed to updating the old ones, so they may be "wrong" by Gen V standards.

Years
  • Seen Jun 11, 2021
Okay, here's the patch for the reordering of the habitat sections/adding of Kricketot and Kricketune.

Also, when the movesets are being done, does that include egg moves as well?

Last edited:

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
Okay, here's the patch for the reordering of the habitat sections/adding of Kricketot and Kricketune.

I applied the patch to a clean ROM and it does literally nothing. The habitat data is unchanged.

Also, when the movesets are being done, does that include egg moves as well?

No. It is completely separate from the moveset data. It'll be taken care of eventually.

Years
  • Seen Jun 11, 2021
By clean do you mean it doesn't have the 649 patch applied? If so, you should be applying it to one with the 649 patch already, because I didn't change the offsets that link to the different habitat sections.

I just tried redownloading both the Alpha 3 and Live Beta and tried patching them to copies of a Fire Red Rom, then applying the New Habitat patch to each, and it worked in both cases.

If you did it to a file with the 649 patch applied, then I don't know why it wouldn't work.

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
By clean do you mean it doesn't have the 649 patch applied? If so, you should be applying it to one with the 649 patch already, because I didn't change the offsets that link to the different habitat sections.

I just tried redownloading both the Alpha 3 and Live Beta and tried patching them to copies of a Fire Red Rom, then applying the New Habitat patch to each, and it worked in both cases.

If you did it to a file with the 649 patch applied, then I don't know why it wouldn't work.

Hmm, I figured it'd be safer to apply it to a clean ROM and copy it in from there, but I patched it directly now, and it seems to work, ignoring the relatively frequent crashes due to sprite errors. Can I just ask - Does the National Dex work on your ROM? Because it doesn't on mine. It appears to have stopped working, although I'm not sure why.

Years
  • Seen Jun 11, 2021
I was actually going to say you should make a copy of the main file, then patch it on to that to see if it works.

And, yeah, that may be my fault. I just checked and the National Pokedex didn't work on the ROM I was writing the thing on, and that may have carried over.

Then again, I just tried patching the Live Beta to a ROM without applying the patch and the National Pokedex doesn't work on that either.

When was the last time you checked to make sure the National Dex worked? And if it's my fault, can you revert it to before you applied the patch?

Also, the National Pokedex works fine with a Fire Red ROM that had the Alpha 3 patch applied to it and loads like before if the "New Habitats" patch is applied.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Aug 31, 2020
I found some bugs
1-a pokèball animation error
2- compression/decompression errors with the sprites of many Pokemon
3- pokèmon editor can not find all sprites
This patch is beautiful but it is full of bug and you can not insert the new Pokemon with wild editor
when it launches a new version?

Last edited:

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
I found some bugs
1-a pokèball animation error
2- compression/decompression errors with the sprites of many Pokemon
3- pokèmon editor can not find all sprites
This patch is beautiful but it is full of bug and you can not insert the new Pokemon with wild editor
when it launches a new version?

1) What? That animation error was fixed ages ago? If you're using the old Alpha 3, then this glitch is still there, but it's fixed in the most recent version.

2) This is mostly to do with the sprites in question not being in the ROM, and some small errors in the forme code.

3) Due to formes.

how's progress going jambo ?

It's not. I've been working on a separate hack for the last few weeks. Quite frankly, I got bored of all the ASM hacking and data hacking, and I wanted to get back to my roots in scripting. I really enjoy scripting, I don't particularly enjoy ASM Hacking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back