• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Moveset Help & Other Questions (FAQ in first post)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Apr 7, 2015
Vgc championship points Can you win them year round and what time of year are they erased

Last edited by a moderator:

Polar Spectrum

I'm still here; watching. Waiting.
Years
You can and can't win them year round - depending on your region things are a bit different. Check this out- http://nuggetbridge.com/about-vgc/

If you're in North America, you can compete in their spring, summer, fall, or winter seasons to qualify for regional championships, which can in turn should you succeed - qualify you for national championships. Only the top 16 in North America get to go to the VGC World Championships, and contend with the other top players from the rest of the world.

Years
  • Seen Dec 14, 2016
Why did my Hypnosis "Failed". Usually when Hypnosis misses, the message comes off as "The opposing Pokemon avoided the attack." When using it against a Dark-type Pokemon due to it's immunity to psychic moves, the message comes off as "Does not affect the opposing Pokemon." But this time, when I used Hypnosis, the message read "The attack failed." Why? If it didn't miss, or the opponent was not immune to the attack, why did it just randomly fail?

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
Why did my Hypnosis "Failed". Usually when Hypnosis misses, the message comes off as "The opposing Pokemon avoided the attack." When using it against a Dark-type Pokemon due to it's immunity to psychic moves, the message comes off as "Does not affect the opposing Pokemon." But this time, when I used Hypnosis, the message read "The attack failed." Why? If it didn't miss, or the opponent was not immune to the attack, why did it just randomly fail?
What exactly were you trying to use Hypnosis on? Some pokes have abilities that make them unable to be put to sleep.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
Uh....was Safeguard up or something? That's the only thing I can think of really....

Years
  • Seen Dec 14, 2016
Nope. It just Mega evolved and used 2 calm minds before Hypnosis was used. Then the attack "Failed" for no random reason.

*Edit*

Oh wait, never mind, I found out. I paralyzed the Pokemon earlier in the battle. You can't Paralyze and sleep at the same time. I am such a Noob.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 45
  • Seen Oct 9, 2017
Advice for Mono weather Castform

So I do have 1 castform Rain Dance, sunny Day and Hail with Weatherball, but I decided to also breed 3 more Castforms with singular weather conditions and I'm having trouble getting enough moves that would benefit from the weather condition.

Rainy is the easiest with Rain Dance, Hurricane, Thunder and Weatherball (as Weatherball doubles in strength, gets STAB and the 50% bonus from being a water move in rainy weather)

Sunny is a little harder with Sunny Day, SolarBeam and Weatherball (again, as Weatherball doubles in strength, gets STAB and the 50% bonus from being a fire move in Sunny Day) but I'm not sure of what (if any) other move might get a benefit from being in a sunny day weather

Icy is much harder as all there is is Hail and Weatherball (weatherball only getting the double strength and Stab, but no bonus from being an ice move used in hail) and even though Blizzard would get 100% accuracy, it's also a second ice move, so I don't know what to do with this weather condition.

(and I don't think I'll be bothering with a sandstream moveset as Castform doesn't get a form change and therefore doesn't get STAB from weatherball, even if weatherball gets double the power in sandy weather)

Anyway, thanks for any tips!

Sirfetch’d

For an in game team, Castform does okay I guess. You really don't need more than one on your team but if you are determined to use all forms we'll have to make due.

Your rain set is fine, you can run Hydro Pump if you want over Weather Ball. It hits harder which Castform needs since it is ridiculously weak. Hurricane and Thunder are fine as the other attacking options.

Sunny form you should run Sunny Day, Ice Beam, Solarbeam, and Fire Blast. Again it hits harder than Weather Ball and has a burn chance.

Snowy form is easily the worst. You could run something like Hail, Blizzard, Fire Blast, and Hydro Pump. Really not much you can do here other than going for coverage moves. Unlike other weathers, only one attack type really benefits.

Good luck though with your castforms!!

Years
  • Age 45
  • Seen Oct 9, 2017
Resident Castform here to help!

For an in game team, Castform does okay I guess. You really don't need more than one on your team but if you are determined to use all forms we'll have to make due.

Your rain set is fine, you can run Hydro Pump if you want over Weather Ball. It hits harder which Castform needs since it is ridiculously weak. Hurricane and Thunder are fine as the other attacking options.

Sunny form you should run Sunny Day, Ice Beam, Solarbeam, and Fire Blast. Again it hits harder than Weather Ball and has a burn chance.

Snowy form is easily the worst. You could run something like Hail, Blizzard, Fire Blast, and Hydro Pump. Really not much you can do here other than going for coverage moves. Unlike other weathers, only one attack type really benefits.

Good luck though with your castforms!!

Thanks for the advice, and just for clarification, I'm not running ALL the castforms in the same team, I'm having one with all the weather if I want to run a general weather team, and the other three are if I want to run a rain team or a sunny team or a hail team, so at any given time I would only have 1 castform on it, I don't battle on simulators or anything but in the real game so it takes FOREVER to breed so I'm breeding now for a just in case in the future. And one thing Hydro Pump and Fire Blast are only 10 base points higher than weather ball (since weather ball doubles in power) is it really worth the tradeoff of 100% accuracy for 85% accuracy (fire blast) or 80% accuracy (Hydro Pump)?

Sirfetch’d

Thanks for the advice, and just for clarification, I'm not running ALL the castforms in the same team, I'm having one with all the weather if I want to run a general weather team, and the other three are if I want to run a rain team or a sunny team or a hail team, so at any given time I would only have 1 castform on it, I don't battle on simulators or anything but in the real game so it takes FOREVER to breed so I'm breeding now for a just in case in the future. And one thing Hydro Pump and Fire Blast are only 10 base points higher than weather ball (since weather ball doubles in power) is it really worth the tradeoff of 100% accuracy for 85% accuracy (fire blast) or 80% accuracy (Hydro Pump)?

It's up to you if you want the tradeoff. Fire Blast is a bit more reliable than most 110 bp moves. I'd definitely run it over weather ball. On rain form you can run weather ball/scald/or hydro pump. It's personal preference really.

Anything works in game and that is the only time I would recommend using any of these. Castform is useless in any other type of play.

Last edited:

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
So I'm finally finishing up raising my Scarf Rock Head Tyrantrum, but in my laziness I didn't breed Ice Fang or Fire Fang onto it (did get Thunder Fang and Dragon Dance on it tho lol). And since I'm too lazy to breed and raise another one now, does anyone have ideas for moves? It's getting Head Smash and Earthquake obviously, and was kinda thinking about Superpower, but idk what else to do.

Detox

Dragon Claw and Outrage are both viable options. A lot of people run some combination of Head Smash / [Dragon STAB] / Superpower / Earthquake and even Toxic on the choiced sets. The fangs are decent options, but I am sure people prefer other coverage options since they have such low base power.

Reactions: Nah

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Dragon Claw and Outrage are both viable options. A lot of people run some combination of Head Smash / [Dragon STAB] / Superpower / Earthquake and even Toxic on the choiced sets. The fangs are decent options, but I am sure people prefer other coverage options since they have such low base power.

Outrage is actually preferred over Dragon Claw as without it, Tyrantrum has a hard time muscling past bulky Ground Pokemon.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 1, 2016
Goodra help?

Hey guys. Not sure if this is the wrong forum but I'm trying to breed a Goodra and I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on how I should train it for competitive battle. Any advice helps! Thanks!

Mr_Nelsy

Amatuer Breeder
Years
Goodra is a natural SpD wall so thats most probably how it'll be built. So it would be a Bulky Special Sweeper.
So you'd want 240HP For Bulk. 252 SpA for obvious reasons XD and you'll want 16evs in Speed just so you can outspeed Azumarill and it's playrough which could be beneficial to the game.
You want Sap Sipper ability for Grass Immunity on your team. (Amoongus' Spore, Ferrothorn's Leech seed ect..)
Now the moveset.
Draco Meteor/Dragon Pulse - Draco Meteor is a OHKO on a Bulky Latias whilst Dragon Pulse is just under and is a 2HKO. However Draco Meteor will hit anything he switches in pretty hard aswell aslong as it's not a fairy type!
Fire Blast/ Flamethrower- Power vs Accuracy. Fireblast is OHKO on Ferrothorn whilst Flamethrower is again just under. Fire Blast would hit anything that switches in pretty hard too!
Sludge Bomb - For those annoying ass fairy types!
Muddy Water/Earthquake. For max coverage you got the debate between these 2. 2HKOs Most Heatrans even with Goodra having a modest nature but Muddy water is 97% chance to 3HKO Heatran after leftovers. However this is based on just a few mons. Have a play and see what move sets work for you.
And finally the item should be Assault Vest! To add to Goodras already Impressive SpD bulk!

Volga

The Dragon Knight
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Mar 19, 2023
Muddy Water

I agree with everything except for this. Surf is better imo.
Both are 90 BP, but Surf has 100% accuracy, while Muddy Water has 85% Accuracy.
Muddy Water does have a 30% chance of lowering accuracy by one stage, but I don't think that's worth the less accuracy.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I agree with everything except for this. Surf is better imo.
Both are 90 BP, but Surf has 100% accuracy, while Muddy Water has 85% Accuracy.
Muddy Water does have a 30% chance of lowering accuracy by one stage, but I don't think that's worth the less accuracy.

The sad part about Goodra is that it can't learn Surf. Muddy Water is its best Water attack, I'm afraid.

Years
  • Seen Jun 17, 2017
What would be the best ability for this Mega Lucario set?

Lucario @ Lucarionite
Ability: ???
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Bullet Punch
- Ice Punch/Stone Edge
- Iron Tail

I'm thinking either Steadfast or Justified because it will allow Lucario to switch into flinching or Dark attacks respectively and get a boost.

Mr_Nelsy

Amatuer Breeder
Years
Well when Lucario mega evolves his ability changes to adaptability anyway. But I'd go with the either Inner Focus or Justified rather than steadfast for definite. As Lucarios fast enough anyway and Steadfast doesn't prevent flinching. So first turn you could just hit away without the worry of Fake out and then the turn after Mega evolve. <- Thats for Inner Focus. Justified could become very handy when your opponent's using Mons' like T-Tar/Bisharp which are both very common in todays metagame. It's more of a personal preference thing but it would depend on what format I was playing to which one I'd use. Inner Focus for doubles, Justified for singles.
Hope this helps

Mr_Nelsy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back