< >
Hello, guest! Please log in or register.

The PokéCommunity

Go Back     The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Research & Development Development The Follow Me Script

Notices

Research & Development Got a well-founded knack with ROM hacking? Love reverse-engineering the Pokémon games? Or perhaps you love your assembly language. This is the spot for polling and gathering your ideas, and then implementing them! Share your hypothesis, get ideas from others, and collaborate to create!
Research & Development programs in this forum are subject to moderator approval before they are displayed.

Reply Post Reply

Old October 27th, 2015 (6:14 AM).
On DLoA
Silver Tier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touched View Post
Oh, that's good to know. I was just judging by the lack of feedback (replies to thread, etc.)
A lack of replies just means it's so well explained nobody has any further questions :P

But yeah I would also definitely be very interested in a C-for-hacks tutorial (I agree the assumption of basic C makes sense, too). Great work on the follow-me stuff!

I'm also pretty sure 0x7F is the camera, so I don't know why 0xFE would also be used by it.

Relevant Advertising!

Old October 27th, 2015 (9:58 AM).
Free supporter
Silver Tier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deokishisu View Post
Ability to manipulate the follower from scripts that are not assigned to it like any other person event on any other map. ...How is that done, by the way? Like, what is the follower's person event number on the maps that you warp to? How is the game even handling spawning the follower on map change?
Yeah, that's already possible since the follower is an NPC in a set map. How is works is basically, we made a super-awesome version of showsprite which can spawn any NPC from one map onto another. From there, is was mostly about handling edge cases.

Also, showsprite x, y is not what it's documented to be (yay for XSE's false documentation!). Anyways, I made one in ASM to do just that. Touched modified it to use SP instead of malloc, and that's what is being used right now.

bleh, it's not designed to be used by a script right now, it's made to be used by another routine, sorry! Basically, all you'd need to do is make a routine to set the parameters appropriately and call this.

Code:
.text
.align 2
.thumb
.thumb_func

@r3 arguement is a word
@first half = x pos
@second half = y pos

main:
	push {r4-r7, lr}
	mov r4, r8
	mov r5, r9
	mov r6, r10
	push {r4-r6}
	sub SP, SP , #0x4

npc_rom_data:
	mov r8, r0  @r0 = npc ROM ID
	mov r9, r1  @r1 = npc bank number
	mov r10, r2 @r2 = npc map bank
	mov r7, r3  @r3 = X and Y pos
	ldr r4, =(0x805FD5C +1) @NPC data from ID and map
	bl linker

copy_npc_data:
	mov r5, r0
	mov r0, #0x18
	ldr r4, =(0x8002B9C +1) @malloc
	bl linker
	mov r1, r5              @src
	mov r5, r0              @dest
	mov r2, #0x18           @size
	ldr r4, =(0x81E5E78 +1) @memcpy
	bl linker
	mov r0, r5

set_personalized_xy_pos:
	mov r2, r7 
	lsr r2, r7, #0x10
	strh r2, [r0, #0x4] @x pos
	lsl r2, r7, #0x10
	lsr r2, r2, #0x10
	strh r2, [r0, #0x6] @y pos

instanciate_npc_by_ROM_data:
	mov r0, r5   @NPC Data
	mov r1, r9   @Map number
	mov r2, r10  @Map Bank
	mov r3, #0x0 @x value to add to pos
	str r3, [SP] @y value to add to pos
	ldr r4, =(0x805E72C +1)
	bl linker
	mov r6, r0
	mov r0, r5
	ldr r4, =(0x8002BC4 +1) @free
	bl linker

end:
	mov r0, r6
	add SP, SP, #0x4
	pop {r4-r6}
	mov r8, r4
	mov r9, r5
	mov r10, r6
	pop {r4-r7, pc}

linker:
	bx r4

.align 2
Have fun :0

My Stuff:
ASM tutorials
C tutorial
YT Random Hacks
GitHub

My Contributions:
Hack Chat
ASM Resource Thread
Old December 7th, 2015 (9:00 PM).
LanceKoijer of Pokemon_Addicts

Nature: Adamant
Quote:
We all know what this is, so I'll cut to the chase. This is basically fully working - an example can be seen in GoGo's hack, Platinum Red (and eventually Blue). This is basically all we have so far:

The code for doing this has been open sourced, and is available on my GitHub, here. You're welcome to fork and send me pull requests if you have anything to contribute. Any bugs or issues should also be reported on GitHub rather than in this thread.

I will post build instructions soon.
Hello, after installing what is in your github, what will I do after? How do I make the OW follows you, it's okay if it can be used only in 1 map and cannot be used permanently. Thnks for response
Please take time clicking this link http://pocketmoneyduty.com/?u=15594

My Threads

Old December 7th, 2015 (9:20 PM).
XV One World Order!!!!
Silver Tier

Nature: Quiet
Send a message via Skype™ to Joexv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance32497 View Post
Hello, after installing what is in your github, what will I do after? How do I make the OW follows you, it's okay if it can be used only in 1 map and cannot be used permanently. Thnks for response
Read the post literally right above yours
Jesus Christ is my Savior
NEWS: Gentlemon is a thing
Bros with Percy
Want to give me some extra cash so I can spend more time developing things?
Click HERE

My Rom hacks
A New Dawn---Gentlemon
Not in Production:
Blackened Night---Holiday Hacks
Old December 8th, 2015 (4:34 AM).
Resident ASMAGICIAN

Quote:
For that follow me you need to set the behaviour for the NPC you want to be the follower to 0x35 (mimic player or something; I forget) in Advance Map. It should work over connections, but won't work properly for most warps.
My Emerald IDB
Knizz's FireRed IDB
I will ASMentor people who exhibit enough enthusiASM. Join the IRC to become an ASMentee.
Old December 8th, 2015 (9:41 AM).

hello, i have a question to a problem with the pokemon essentials DS2.0 and essentials gen 6v1
there are some scripting problems.
exampel the pokemons form me are to big... i use the gen VI pokemons :D
sry for bad english
"Never change a running system" I'm a hardware expert an a pokemon fan, nothing else ;D
Old December 8th, 2015 (10:57 AM).
On DLoA
Silver Tier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expansing01 View Post
hello, i have a question to a problem with the pokemon essentials DS2.0 and essentials gen 6v1
there are some scripting problems.
exampel the pokemons form me are to big... i use the gen VI pokemons :D
sry for bad english
Questions regarding Pokémon Essentials belong in its subforum; this thread is for the development of the Follow Me functionality for ROM hacks.
Old December 9th, 2015 (12:18 AM). Edited December 9th, 2015 by Lance32497.

Quote:
For that follow me you need to set the behaviour for the NPC you want to be the follower to 0x35 (mimic player or something; I forget) in Advance Map. It should work over connections, but won't work properly for most warps.
Ahh, thanks for the response, so I'm assuming that the insertion of it is the same as mega evolution, I'll create build folder, open command prompt, type make and insert.py --offset 9437184 --debug.

EDIT:
This is what I did, I changed the rom offsets in assemply.py then load it on command prompt.
I had succesfully installed it, but I had encountered some problem.

That OW keeps on appearing on every map, plus it does nothing. I also set the NPC behavior into 35 which is copy player but when I load it on game, it just disappeared.

My Threads

Old December 9th, 2015 (10:54 AM).
Resident ASMAGICIAN

Quote:
Ahh, thanks for the response, so I'm assuming that the insertion of it is the same as mega evolution, I'll create build folder, open command prompt, type make and insert.py --offset 9437184 --debug.

EDIT:
This is what I did, I changed the rom offsets in assemply.py then load it on command prompt.
I had succesfully installed it, but I had encountered some problem.

That OW keeps on appearing on every map, plus it does nothing. I also set the NPC behavior into 35 which is copy player but when I load it on game, it just disappeared.
You need to comment out this line (put a # at the beginning of the line) and it should work. It might also be using behaviour 0x34 though, I can't remember.

Keep in mind that that repo is not under active development. There is a C rewrite going on but it is incomplete (you can't control which NPC is going to follow you yet).
My Emerald IDB
Knizz's FireRed IDB
I will ASMentor people who exhibit enough enthusiASM. Join the IRC to become an ASMentee.
Old December 9th, 2015 (2:25 PM).

Quote:
You need to comment out this line (put a # at the beginning of the line) and it should work. It might also be using behaviour 0x34 though, I can't remember.

Keep in mind that that repo is not under active development. There is a C rewrite going on but it is incomplete (you can't control which NPC is going to follow you yet).
okay, I'll try it as soon as I'm on PC

My Threads

Old December 13th, 2015 (12:06 PM).
Pokémon Fuchsia
Silver Tier

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to PokéMew
I was assembling the code in cmd by typing assemble.py, and got this error:

File "C:\Users\Desktop\FollowMe-master\assemble.py", line 54, in <module>
rom.write((0x2102).to_bytes(2, 'little'))
AttributeError: 'int' object has no attribute 'to_bytes'

What would be the fix for this error?
Old December 13th, 2015 (12:56 PM).

Nature: Relaxed
The fix for that error is to stop using outdated versions of Python. int.to_bytes was only added in Python 3; the shebang line at the top of assemble.py indicates it's supposed to be run with Python 3.
The rival in Red and Blue is called Green. Gary is some character from a lame cartoon.
Old December 13th, 2015 (6:09 PM).
Pokémon Fuchsia
Silver Tier

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to PokéMew
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasWinwood View Post
The fix for that error is to stop using outdated versions of Python. int.to_bytes was only added in Python 3; the shebang line at the top of assemble.py indicates it's supposed to be run with Python 3.
I could have sworn I had 3.4.3 installed. Apparently I removed it at some point.. Well thanks for reminding me of it.
Old January 12th, 2016 (9:36 AM).

Can anyone make a compiled version of this one like the first version or a tutorial? I'm not very able to use python
Thanks in any case ;D
Old January 22nd, 2016 (8:49 PM).
http://GoGoJJTech.com (WIP!)
Gold Tier

Nature: Jolly
Quote:
We all know what this is, so I'll cut to the chase. This is basically fully working - an example can be seen in GoGo's hack, Platinum Red (and eventually Blue). This is basically all we have so far:

The code for doing this has been open sourced, and is available on my GitHub, here. You're welcome to fork and send me pull requests if you have anything to contribute. Any bugs or issues should also be reported on GitHub rather than in this thread.

I will post build instructions soon.
So I ported this to Emerald (Someone will have to show me how to use Github hehe) but I've got a video:
Old January 23rd, 2016 (8:24 AM).
Professional dabber

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGoJJTech View Post

So I ported this to Emerald (Someone will have to show me how to use Github hehe) but I've got a video:
Yes! Finally someone has ported it to Emerald Was in the (slow) process of doing it myself but whatever.
Thank you!
Soon...
Old January 26th, 2016 (12:43 PM).

Will this be able to work like Heart Gold and Soul Silver with the pokemons following you all around the region?
Old February 1st, 2016 (7:39 AM).

More than 6+ years but the project isn't 100% finished as warping and surfing and biking still have problems.... I may not be an asm wizard or master C or C++ creator but I may have 2 ideas that just might work.

1. We could try to implement the Pokemon yellow code( since hgss code is from ds it shouldn't work but since Pokemon yellow is one generation down(gbc) it might be possible to implement it)

2.This idea may make sound bonkers or make me sound as if I watch to many science fiction movies but here goes..... how about an AI script.

OK hear me out, the games already have AI systems in them( Trainer AI and other game mechanic handling AIs so lets try not to deny the fact that adding AI(s) into the game is impossible. What the AI will do it will read the player data and key presses and act according to it and have main inshiative to stay one block behind the player. and also have multiple filters along with it like judging between walkable tiles and notice when a player walks on surf tile it makes it self invisible and reappears when player is on a regular tile. Same could work on a bike. As for flying the AI would appear on the map the player sets on to flying to( on the select location to fly to map)
Again these are all ideas hopefully that can be used.
“Do not let your difficulties fill you with anxiety, after all it is only in the darkest nights that stars shine more brightly.”
― Hazrat Ali Ibn Abu-Talib A.S

Image by Effex graphics
Old February 1st, 2016 (8:21 AM).
http://GoGoJJTech.com (WIP!)
Gold Tier

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Hussain View Post
More than 6+ years but the project isn't 100% finished as warping and surfing and biking still have problems.... I may not be an asm wizard or master C or C++ creator but I may have 2 ideas that just might work.

1. We could try to implement the Pokemon yellow code( since hgss code is from ds it shouldn't work but since Pokemon yellow is one generation down(gbc) it might be possible to implement it)

2.This idea may make sound bonkers or make me sound as if I watch to many science fiction movies but here goes..... how about an AI script.

OK hear me out, the games already have AI systems in them( Trainer AI and other game mechanic handling AIs so lets try not to deny the fact that adding AI(s) into the game is impossible. What the AI will do it will read the player data and key presses and act according to it and have main inshiative to stay one block behind the player. and also have multiple filters along with it like judging between walkable tiles and notice when a player walks on surf tile it makes it self invisible and reappears when player is on a regular tile. Same could work on a bike. As for flying the AI would appear on the map the player sets on to flying to( on the select location to fly to map)
Again these are all ideas hopefully that can be used.
To be honest none of your suggestions help anyone.
The problem isn't implementing these things, following code is as simple as 2 bytes. The problem is finding where to place it. AI is entirely unnecessary for this because it requires no thinking, and GBC code wouldn't help because you still have to find where to put it (and plus GBC code is not similar even though it's "just one game system away")
Old February 1st, 2016 (8:42 AM).
Free supporter
Silver Tier

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGoJJTech View Post
[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][B]

To be honest none of your suggestions help anyone.
The problem isn't implementing these things, following code is as simple as 2 bytes. The problem is finding where to place it.
Gogo....
Are you implying that follow me is at a standstill because we can't find 2 free bytes of space? lol.

The newer follow me which touched and I worked on doesn't even use logging, it does calculations on the fly. The biggest problem with follow me is that certain animations take more time/frames than others. For example, when you jump of a ledge, it takes the same amount of time to take 2 steps. So when the player jumps down a ledge, and continues to walk, the follower will then become 2 steps behind. On consecutive ledge jumps the effect worsens and the follower is left further and further behind. Similar happens with biking. Touched managed to fix biking, but it broke again :D

As for surfing, I think I finished surfing for the most part. Only part that remained was to undo the surfing sprite. I've been lazy, Touched as been lazy, and we haven't updated this since last year.

Basically, it's pretty much done, just needs some brushing up in certain places. Lack of motivation = lack of completion. We're not stuck or anything like that, just now that the interesting parts are finished, I don't think we felt like working on it more. Also the introduction of the incomplete cutscript came into the dev schedule (which also got dumped upon the realization that 99% of the community would be incapable of using it).

Basically, stuff happened, we haven't worked on it since we lacked motivation. Unless some motivation appears out of thin air, I don't really feel like doing this anymore. I can't speak for Touched, but I think he'll tell you the same...

My Stuff:
ASM tutorials
C tutorial
YT Random Hacks
GitHub

My Contributions:
Hack Chat
ASM Resource Thread
Old February 1st, 2016 (10:54 AM).

FBI if the motivation you want is that you want some one to use the follow me script in their hack then look no further. Frankly speaking, I NEED this code for a Hack rom and it's story and if you complete this then I will 100% use this. (hopefully that motivated you)

You can do it FBI-kun, GAMBARAY GAMBARAY FBI-kun.
Fighto FBI-kun, you can do it. :D :D :D
“Do not let your difficulties fill you with anxiety, after all it is only in the darkest nights that stars shine more brightly.”

Image by Effex graphics
Old February 1st, 2016 (12:05 PM).

Quote:
For example, when you jump of a ledge, it takes the same amount of time to take 2 steps. So when the player jumps down a ledge, and continues to walk, the follower will then become 2 steps behind.
Couldn't it be done to make the follower jump two steps to catch the player? I think it's done like that in HGSS.

Also, for biking and surfing the follower disappears in the official games.

Hope this helps
Old February 2nd, 2016 (3:55 AM).
Resident ASMAGICIAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBI View Post
Similar happens with biking. Touched managed to fix biking, but it broke again :D
I fixed it (again).

Quote:
As for surfing, I think I finished surfing for the most part. Only part that remained was to undo the surfing sprite.
There was more. You didn't factor in the follower jumping perpendicularly to the facing direction of the player, which happens when the player surfs facing left/right, and then moves down/up or vice versa. The timing was also ****ed if you didn't wait for the follower to complete the jump before moving.

Quote:
I've been lazy, Touched as been lazy, and we haven't updated this since last year.

Basically, it's pretty much done, just needs some brushing up in certain places. Lack of motivation = lack of completion. We're not stuck or anything like that, just now that the interesting parts are finished, I don't think we felt like working on it more. Also the introduction of the incomplete cutscript came into the dev schedule (which also got dumped upon the realization that 99% of the community would be incapable of using it).

Basically, stuff happened, we haven't worked on it since we lacked motivation. Unless some motivation appears out of thin air, I don't really feel like doing this anymore. I can't speak for Touched, but I think he'll tell you the same...
Yeah, lack of motivation and irl commitments got in the way. All we really needed was some sort of scripting interface and to create the Pokemon following mode (which is far easier than fixing surfing etc.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Hussain View Post
FBI if the motivation you want is that you want some one to use the follow me script in their hack then look no further. Frankly speaking, I NEED this code for a Hack rom and it's story and if you complete this then I will 100% use this. (hopefully that motivated you)

You can do it FBI-kun, GAMBARAY GAMBARAY FBI-kun.
Fighto FBI-kun, you can do it. :D :D :D
Sorry, but that's not gonna motivate us. I don't know if FBI feels the same, but the motivation comes from the challenge of solving problems. Since we solved most of them, it just became an issue of doing boring work over and over again to fix annoying timing issues. Also the lack of community involvement in the project (as usual) is demoralising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adke View Post
Couldn't it be done to make the follower jump two steps to catch the player? I think it's done like that in HGSS.

Also, for biking and surfing the follower disappears in the official games.

Hope this helps
It's not an issue of the amount of steps taken (jumping over ledges is always two steps), it's an issue of the amount of frames taken to complete the jump. The issue is that jumping is a long animation: it takes something like double the walking time to complete the animation. Since the follower has to wait on the ledge while the player stands on the bottom, it has to jump during the next movement the player makes. This means that you have to somehow accelerate the jump to take place in the same time as the player's next movement. This is what HGSS does, which is why the jump takes a shorter amount of time for the follower.
We succeeded in doing this, however there are multiple speeds that the player can move at which makes it complicated to figure out how long to take when making the follower jump.
It's complicated because if you go too fast, the jump looks awkward and if you go too slow it will be a few pixels behind the player until you stop moving.

Also we know about the thing going into the Pokeball. But FBI wanted us to do surfing and biking for the extra challenge it provided. Also, the Pokeball solution only applies to Pokemon. Since we wanted to expand the potential for this hack beyond the scope of "your Pokemon follows you", this was not acceptable. If a person was to follow you, we wanted them to be capable of doing everything the player can. We were going to provide different "modes" that you could select via a script. If you picked the Pokemon mode, it would disappear into the Pokeball. If you picked the person mode, they would ride their own bike or something. However, we never got the opportunity to do this.
My Emerald IDB
Knizz's FireRed IDB
Old February 2nd, 2016 (9:43 AM).

Typicaly Touched. I know getting motivated for things gets a bit hard, so i actually understand that why you want leave this so bad( trust me i'm a writer) so if you want to leave the project, well i won't say people won't get annoyed but none would start a riot, if the script is done to the point tht pokemon follow me is done to the point you can make a yellow remake then it would be appreactive if you could update your github sources to the current version but if not well any progress would really be ok.

Image by Effex graphics
Old February 18th, 2016 (9:49 PM).

Touch and FBI, if you have completely given up on the project then at least update it to the latest progress you have done so it can be used. Also i know that you have fixed ledge and biking issues but i wanted to point that FBI once made a hack tutorial on how to reduce bike speed to normal walk speed. How this can be useful would be that you could develop a work around that if a follow me script sprite is following then the bytes of the bike speed would be changed and reverted back once its over( i dont know how flexably this can be used)

Thanks in advance

Image by Effex graphics
Reply Post Reply
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links