• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What inspired you to make a Pokémon ROM Hack?

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Aug 23, 2014
Well I've recently been playing mirage of tales and it has come soo close to what I want in a hack. But it still doesn't fit the exact description of the one rom I want to play. I've always wanted to play as the bad guy, and all the hacks that allow this are good, but not great. So I wanted to make a great one :)

Pokemon Bad Gone Badder is the name (not sure if I'll change it) but I'm kinda struggling with learning how to script. Oh well ;)

CJBlazer

Rogon, the Ninja Pokemon
Years
I am an author and have been one since the age of 12. I figured its time to take my fanfiction novel, Pokemon: League Masters, a step further and started reading up on how to build a game. I decided to learn how to hack and now want to make my two games just as they are in my stories.

Plus, the experience is really good as I am learning new things by doing this.

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
I think I started hacking mainly for the idea of putting a story out there. What has kept me going? Probably the evolving community - there are always new tools, tutorials and techniques to try out and utilise, and with enough creativity there are niches to be filled out in the RH community - I guess I aspire to filling one of those gaps, eventually.

Without works by some major people, like Lu-Ho and Hackmew (and many many more), I doubt many of us would still be persisting.

DarkenedEclipse

Project Oak
Years
I don't know if the thread is old but I'd like to share my story...

It was a few years when I looked into this new concept. I liked the idea of discovering and learning how to share my own creation and make it to my customs and get suggestions how to make them better.... Rom hacking to me is like a puzzle: putting all the little bits and pieces of hard work together to create a big picture. Something with working with graphics and learning how to script got me to love this activity :) as well as the community behind it

TheMangekyoKing

PurpleAmethyst Founder
Years
  • Seen Jan 19, 2022
I made a Pokemon hack because there were always things about the original games that i would have liked to change so when i figured out I could hack I instantly started doing it.

Back